Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just back 23:00 - Mar 7 with 6619 viewsQPR_Nippon

I don't know how much Warnock's long ball team jibes stung Ollie, but the decision to start with Smith on the bench and go with a tidy, technical midfield three of Freeman, Luongo and Manning did smack of "How d'you like them apples, Neil?!"

Naturally we played with a markedly different style to Saturday, with changes to 5 of the front 6. Not sure how much of this was an attempt to match Barnsley, a very tidy, technical team themselves - whatever, but it did make for a very enjoyable, open and end-to-end game. Luke Freeman was outstanding in the first half and was at the heart of everything Rangers did well. He set up Sylla's smart back heeled finish (did he mean it?) to put us one up and put in another absolute peach of a cross that was met with a salmon like leap from Perch, who was very unlucky to hit the bar.

That said, Barnsley might also have counted themselves unfortunate to go in at half time a goal down. That they did was thanks to an astonishing, instinctive goal saving clearance from Jake Bidwell just before the break. I'm dying to see a replay of this because it had me rubbing my eyes in disbelief and on my feet applauding (I can't remember in which order). Chief owes him a big drink for that one after it was his rick that led to the opening.

Unfortunately there was no hero on hand to spare Grant Hall's blushes who mishit a clearance and sub Bradshaw was on hand to set up the obligatory nervy finish. A real shame as I thought Hall had been excellent up to that point. Thankfully by that stage we'd built enough of a cushion after a powerful run and superb cross by Wsolek which the Barnsley centre half could do nothing other than help goalwards under pressure from Sylla's well-timed run.

Overall, another far from perfect but very encouraging and pleasing performance against a decent side for this level. Darnell Furlong had possibly his best 30 minutes in a Rangers shirt after replacing Perch. Luongo seems to be getting back to his best after a difficult few months. Great to see Sylla get on the scoresheet again - we did miss Smith's aerial presence at times but it probably made us a bit more inventive in our approach, and the result was often very easy on the eye. I think it was ultimately Freeman though who was the difference between the two sides. Faded a bit second half perhaps but was always bright and positive, always looking to make things happen, has an excellent first touch, can pass, can take people on - looks a fantastic signing, especially considering what we paid for him.

The last thing that I left LR with tonight was a feeling that there is at last a genuine affinity between fans and players again. A squad of committed players with no little talent, maybe not quite good enough to challenge the upper reaches of this league just yet, but certainly good enough to be both competitive in this league and, perhaps this is the difference under Ollie, entertaining.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2017 6:46]
Just back on 23:05 - Mar 7 with 5949 viewsRuislipHoop

Exactly as I saw it.
Just back on 23:24 - Mar 7 with 5764 viewsAgedR

Best attacking performance for ages. Lots of positives. Freeman a real asset and Manning, what a cultured passer (plus a determined little sod). Much better from Mass, Yeni and Syla. A couple of riks at the back and I think the Hall, Lynch, Ned three is probably better. Bidwell solid, and then extraordinary!

One negative. Perch. Shocking. Lunging in, getting caught ball watching and plain not running back.

Seems churlish to complain though.

Pav created havoc and tore their left back a new one. A bit of a gamble by Ollie to take him off and the momentum did change. But we got away with it. Just.

The season is done and Ollie is building a squad. It's real brave, canny and forward thinking management in my view. It is practising our adaptability in match situations and creating great competition in the squad.

I'm already looking forward to next season. I think it could be quite special.

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Just back on 23:27 - Mar 7 with 5734 viewsDejR_vu

Thought we were fantastic in the first half; ball on the ground, great passing, best I've seen for ages. Personally I thought we were unlucky to go in at half time only one up.

Not so great first few minutes of the second half, but then we seemed to settle again and it was more of the same. And then Ollie had another brain fart. Two up, totally in control, he takes our best player off. Removes our biggest threat, best outlet and upsets the rhythm of the side. Concede a sloppy goal and all of a sudden we're hanging on, hoofing it away. It was working just fine, why not leave it? No doubt Wszolek will have picked up a little knock/strain.

Overall though, looking promising. Hope we can keep it going and build on the good run.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Just back on 00:17 - Mar 8 with 5532 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

It was far from perfect, but tonight was the most exciting midfield performance I've seen from a QPR side, since I don't know when.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Just back on 00:56 - Mar 8 with 5410 viewsPunteR

Cheers for the 'just back' Nipping. Good read.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Just back on 01:09 - Mar 8 with 5372 viewsPommyhoop

Great report Nipp.
Brilliant result tonight.I thought we were going to get done..

Just to let you know that according to Ollie's interview on Player, Neil's words did sting a litttle bit. He started it with something like ''Lets get something right yeah,''.
Sounds like a good game and performance...

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Just back on 01:26 - Mar 8 with 5331 viewsBoston

Perky Nips, very perky.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Just back on 01:56 - Mar 8 with 5295 viewsloftinoz

Just back on 01:26 - Mar 8 by Boston

Perky Nips, very perky.

Just love perky nips.
Login to get fewer ads

Just back on 06:40 - Mar 8 with 5077 viewsenfieldargh

Just back on 01:56 - Mar 8 by loftinoz

Just love perky nips.

Talking of perky nips, Ryan Manning shows maturity beyond his age and he makes the game look easy....which it is,simple passes, incisive passes that find their targets, keeps the flow and moves FORWARD!!!!

MILF =Manning Is Lovely Footballer

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Just back on 07:04 - Mar 8 with 4992 viewssmegma

How did we manage to get Freeman ? And for so little outlay ??
A game of the proverbial two halves.First half I thought we played in fits and starts, our ball retention wasn't good enough at times. I thought Barnsley looked the better organised team but we created more chances. Perch should've been subbed when he got carded as the challenge left him injured and struggling for the rest of the half. To play him for one minute in the second half then replace him was bizarre.
Furlong was superb when he came on as was Wzsolek in the second half. Having an uninjured player behind him meant he didn't have to spend more time covering an injured colleague. The pass for the winner was superb. I thought we bossed the second half from start to finish.
Good to see we can win without Smith and Washington, going by comments on here an hour before kick off, we were in for a hiding.

On another subject, Manning has played 11 games and received 6 yellow cards. On paper that makes him a dirty player it seems. He's probably the new Joey in referees eyes in that every foul tackle is a yellow. Another good game from the player told by the previous manager he wasn't wanted.
Just back on 08:27 - Mar 8 with 4724 viewspaulparker

Great to hear, I think we have now slowly built a very decent squad since January
we have Morrison, Goss, Washington, Smith, Mackie , Cousins not even in the first team,
at the moment we have strength in depth for the 1st time in a very long time and a team who want to play for one another , also kudos to Ollie he has made a left winger going nowhere in manning into probably a 3-4 million centre midfielder and took a bloke who has a great left foot but no pace in Freeman and made him a forward thinking CM , that's good management because people on here were getting suicidal over the sales of the vastly overrated Polter & Chery , got the best out of Washington &
not only that he has turned round Yeni into a striker and got his mojo back , (something I said should happen after the preston home game earlier in the season)
we have a lot to like about this team , I cant wait for the next game
if we can keep this group together we wont even need to add in the summer that much probably another defender if we can ditch Perch ,
encouraging stuff

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Just back on 08:52 - Mar 8 with 4631 viewsBerkoRanger

Just back on 08:27 - Mar 8 by paulparker

Great to hear, I think we have now slowly built a very decent squad since January
we have Morrison, Goss, Washington, Smith, Mackie , Cousins not even in the first team,
at the moment we have strength in depth for the 1st time in a very long time and a team who want to play for one another , also kudos to Ollie he has made a left winger going nowhere in manning into probably a 3-4 million centre midfielder and took a bloke who has a great left foot but no pace in Freeman and made him a forward thinking CM , that's good management because people on here were getting suicidal over the sales of the vastly overrated Polter & Chery , got the best out of Washington &
not only that he has turned round Yeni into a striker and got his mojo back , (something I said should happen after the preston home game earlier in the season)
we have a lot to like about this team , I cant wait for the next game
if we can keep this group together we wont even need to add in the summer that much probably another defender if we can ditch Perch ,
encouraging stuff

I think a big "ugly" Danny Shittu type centre back should be the target for this summer.

Great reports - thanks all.
Just back on 09:09 - Mar 8 with 4573 viewsrobith

Re: your last point - when Barnsley got one back I instinctively did a flinch, thinking it was all going to get a bit hairy with the support turning, especially as the goal was a gaffe.

But then there was a big round of "COME ON YOU RS". Like we used to.

A big corner turned
Just back on 09:42 - Mar 8 with 4476 viewsoldmisery

Just back on 08:52 - Mar 8 by BerkoRanger

I think a big "ugly" Danny Shittu type centre back should be the target for this summer.

Great reports - thanks all.

Couldn't agree more. Can we add quick to the big/ugly description.

Lynch is a quite big/ugly type but far too slow and the Chief doesn't appear to use his undoubted upper body strength to full advantage; moreover he seems to have lost a yard in pace this season. In addition neither of them can distribute the ball with any accuracy. Hall looks the part but gets bullied by players much smaller and stronger than him.

I think we also need two full backs. One as cover for Furlong (why Olly picks Perch ahead of him I find incomprehensible) and a new left back in case we never see Robinson again (yes, Bidwell's clearance was amazing last night but he has never looked the player I thought we'd signed).

Talking of Furlong, it was noticable that Pawel was much more effective in the second half as he appears to have a much better understanding with Darnell; perhaps he speaks better polish than Perch.
Just back on 10:36 - Mar 8 with 4329 viewsswisscottage

There were a number of things I enjoyed from last night.

In particularly was how everyone was talking to each other and organising the shape of the team.
It was noticeable how much Sylla and Yeni were organising the front 5 into pressing as a group and never stopped running. This is in stark contrast to earlier in the season where these two would run around like headless chickens without any idea that there was a concept called team shape and organisation.

The 4231 really played to our strengths in the way I feel the 533 doesn't, and I really hope Olly perseveres with it.

Sylla was the opposite of what he was when he came on up at Preston just ten days ago, where his head dropped practically from the moment he got on the pitch. Whilst his ability to play with his back to goal is laughable, put the ball in front of him and he's a natural goal scorer with pace and power to burn which makes playing Wsolek and absolutely necessity when playing Sylla.

Another was watching Freeman play the sort of role that Adel used to play from the left wing, where he would actually roam all across the pitch causing havoc. The difference Freeman actually being as much of a menace to the opposition without the ball as he was with it. Although it did make us a lot more open down our flanks, and I though Bidwell had a magnificent game covering the left side when Freeman had wandered to the other side of the pitch.
Just back on 10:58 - Mar 8 with 4241 viewsstevec

Just back on 10:36 - Mar 8 by swisscottage

There were a number of things I enjoyed from last night.

In particularly was how everyone was talking to each other and organising the shape of the team.
It was noticeable how much Sylla and Yeni were organising the front 5 into pressing as a group and never stopped running. This is in stark contrast to earlier in the season where these two would run around like headless chickens without any idea that there was a concept called team shape and organisation.

The 4231 really played to our strengths in the way I feel the 533 doesn't, and I really hope Olly perseveres with it.

Sylla was the opposite of what he was when he came on up at Preston just ten days ago, where his head dropped practically from the moment he got on the pitch. Whilst his ability to play with his back to goal is laughable, put the ball in front of him and he's a natural goal scorer with pace and power to burn which makes playing Wsolek and absolutely necessity when playing Sylla.

Another was watching Freeman play the sort of role that Adel used to play from the left wing, where he would actually roam all across the pitch causing havoc. The difference Freeman actually being as much of a menace to the opposition without the ball as he was with it. Although it did make us a lot more open down our flanks, and I though Bidwell had a magnificent game covering the left side when Freeman had wandered to the other side of the pitch.

I think a 533 could give us a distinct advantage.
Just back on 11:01 - Mar 8 with 4229 viewsNorthernr

I just really enjoyed last night. Thought it was a great game between two teams trying (often failing but trying) to go about things the right way, and committing players to the attack. Actually trying to score goals. Amazing that this is something to be praised really as it's the aim of the sport but so often in the modern game you'd never guess it - look at the way fcking Middlesbrough play for instance.

Freeman and Manning are so good for us it's unreal. How on earth was Freeman not in that Bristol City side? Good to see Sylla and Yeni putting a shift in and working in tandem to close things down.

So often we sit in the pub and look at the team when it's announced and think WTF? But Holloway's come on so much as a manager since he was last here everything seems to be done with a plan in mind.

Four wins from five, go on lads.
Just back on 11:04 - Mar 8 with 4207 viewshoof_hearted

Agree with all of this but one little thing I noticed was the signing of players names more than usual. That's a great sign that there is good rapport and empathy between fans and the team and vital if we're to be punching above our weight.

Just in time for season ticket renewals. B'stards.
Just back on 11:06 - Mar 8 with 4201 viewsdaveB

on QPR player Holloway has a pop back at Warnock about the long ball stuff. The most impressive thing about Holloway since he has come back is he goes into games with a plan of how he wants to play. Against physical teams he goes more direct, against better teams he plays on the counter and against footballing sides he gets the ball down and plays like last night. He's doing a very good job and it's great to see a team who can play in different styles.
Just back on 11:13 - Mar 8 with 4166 viewsstevec

Yep, thoroughly enjoyable football again, thank you Ian Holloway.

It's great that we can actually send out two different styles of play in a couple of days and still look like an organised football team.

I was chuckling away on Saturday, spent most of first half working out how we were setting out to play and as I came to terms with it, a blizzard of substitutions second half and I couldn't work out my ar se from my elbow.

Fantastic stuff.
Just back on 11:14 - Mar 8 with 4155 viewshoof_hearted

...let's not forget that if Barnsley could shoot straight we could have been blown out the water even before Silla's slightly fortuitous opener and a good few times after it. We played well but I was very impressed with Barnsley. If they had an older head midfield general and maybe a bruiser in that team they would be genuine challengers.
Just back on 12:51 - Mar 8 with 3953 viewsPinnerPaul

Just back on 23:27 - Mar 7 by DejR_vu

Thought we were fantastic in the first half; ball on the ground, great passing, best I've seen for ages. Personally I thought we were unlucky to go in at half time only one up.

Not so great first few minutes of the second half, but then we seemed to settle again and it was more of the same. And then Ollie had another brain fart. Two up, totally in control, he takes our best player off. Removes our biggest threat, best outlet and upsets the rhythm of the side. Concede a sloppy goal and all of a sudden we're hanging on, hoofing it away. It was working just fine, why not leave it? No doubt Wszolek will have picked up a little knock/strain.

Overall though, looking promising. Hope we can keep it going and build on the good run.

Agree about taking pff Pavel.

Our attacking threat ended then.

Error compounded by the fact that Washington and Yeni ended up playing in same position and Cilla seemed to be playing in his own half after that

Bizarre sub and tactics for last 20 mins
Just back on 13:25 - Mar 8 with 3839 viewsfrancisbowles

I thought he might have put Smith on to at least give us that extra defensive presence when defending corners and free kicks.
Just back on 14:11 - Mar 8 with 3745 viewsTrellick

Just back on 10:58 - Mar 8 by stevec

I think a 533 could give us a distinct advantage.

Rush Goalie?
Just back on 14:54 - Mar 8 with 3670 viewsbosh67

Very impressed with Freeman. Reminds me of Cook but can play more centrally, and he's quite quick too. Absolute bargain. Enjoyable player to watch.

Luongo could benefit from having better technical players around him now.

For me Manning is the man. £60K we got him for and still only 20. Quite simply the best midfield prospect we have had at the club in years. A combination of elements of Martin Rowlands and Ale Faurlin, with the style of Liam Brady. Just the player we have needed when the side was falling apart.

Good to see Sylla getting some time and confident again. A very useful player.

Ollie had a tough start again here. I think it took him a while to get up to speed but he is a far better technical manager than he was last time. The difference between him and JFH is that JFH just tried to set up teams to not lose and Ollie sets them up to at least have a go. Win lose or draw we are far better to watch.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024