Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! 19:24 - Mar 30 with 12731 viewsridethewave

Jesus. Holloway's magic roundabout continues.
Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 09:14 - Mar 31 with 2258 viewsridethewave

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 02:06 - Mar 31 by timcocking

But he's our penalty taker?

I like to think the coaching staff can who work with the players every day are able to see who's the most consistent penalty taker. It's him. He's missed one, sh!t happens. Rooney missed about 100 penalties.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2018 2:11]

Holloway said yesterday that he was furious that Bidewell took the penalty and that one of the strikers should have taken it. This clearly shows Holloway hadn't decided on his penalty taker prior to the game. Is this not part of his job? Every team should know who their penalty taker is, this shouldn't be in any doubt.
Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 09:24 - Mar 31 with 2216 views2Thomas2Bowles

He did not do a waddle and smash it into row Z, it was saved and a good save by accounts
CA missed pens for us.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 09:43 - Mar 31 with 2189 viewsShotKneesHoop

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 20:57 - Mar 30 by Esox_Lucius

LB Jim Langley took all QPR penalties and never missed one. Like clockwork.

So did left footed left backs Peter Angell, and Clive Wilson.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2018 9:45]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 09:52 - Mar 31 with 2172 viewstoboboly

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 20:21 - Mar 30 by smegma

I believe he has taken two penalties. Scored one, one saved.

He's hardly at Fulham levels when it comes to taking them.

Yep, scored against Blackburn in the FA Cup last season with a penalty.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 10:08 - Mar 31 with 2146 viewssmegma

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 09:43 - Mar 31 by ShotKneesHoop

So did left footed left backs Peter Angell, and Clive Wilson.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2018 9:45]

Clive Wilson ???
Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 11:33 - Mar 31 with 2073 viewsenfieldargh

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 10:08 - Mar 31 by smegma

Clive Wilson ???

Yes I'd like to know who he missed against.

As for the Pen the all the Reading players that surrounded the ref should have been booked and as for the prat who kicked the ball away well thats a Red.

wouldnt mind the the plank who was left lying on the ground looked up and ran yes ran back into the fray from the opposite end of the ground.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 11:43 - Mar 31 with 2050 viewskingo

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 11:33 - Mar 31 by enfieldargh

Yes I'd like to know who he missed against.

As for the Pen the all the Reading players that surrounded the ref should have been booked and as for the prat who kicked the ball away well thats a Red.

wouldnt mind the the plank who was left lying on the ground looked up and ran yes ran back into the fray from the opposite end of the ground.

Did you notice at the end, the ball was in the 6 yard box with their keeper and one of their defenders deliberately kicked it into the space behind the hoardings, the area that the Reading ball boys stopped retrieving the ball from for us.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 12:21 - Mar 31 with 2013 viewsShotKneesHoop

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 10:08 - Mar 31 by smegma

Clive Wilson ???

Off Wikipedia

Queens Park Rangers
Clive Wilson made his QPR debut against Nottingham Forest in a 1-1 draw at the City Ground in August 1990. He was signed as a midfielder for QPR but the following season the new QPR boss, Gerry Francis, switched him to play left-back. It was here that Wilson truly found his position as his speed allied to his excellent passing ability made him an excellent defender.

Over the next four seasons he was a near ever-present for Rangers and he went on to play 172 league games for the R's, scoring 12 goals, all bar one scored from the penalty spot.

Playing career]
Peter Angell was a left-winger with Slough Town when Charlton Athletic were first interested in him. After a few games at the Valley in the London Mid-Week League, however, he was allowed to go to Queens Park Rangers, where he signed professional in June 1953.[1]

Angell made his debut for QPR in September 1953 in the 2—0 win against Walsall and went on to play 417 league games scoring 37 goals.

I rest my case.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Login to get fewer ads

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 12:56 - Mar 31 with 1989 viewsqprd

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 09:14 - Mar 31 by ridethewave

Holloway said yesterday that he was furious that Bidewell took the penalty and that one of the strikers should have taken it. This clearly shows Holloway hadn't decided on his penalty taker prior to the game. Is this not part of his job? Every team should know who their penalty taker is, this shouldn't be in any doubt.

Yes, exactly

the only person Ollie should be furious with is himself.... there should be an order for spot kick takers

perhaps eze or smyth were the best forwards to take the penalty... but theyre also very young players who maybe didn't want to disrupt the hierarchy....if Ollie had instructed the team to let one of them take the kick, it takes the pressure off them to have to show up their more experienced teammates

matt smith is the most senior forward but also cant use his feet....

its the managers job to dictate this....

I like Ollie, but he really is no different from other managers in his capacity to deflect
Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 14:34 - Mar 31 with 1912 viewsLblock

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 12:21 - Mar 31 by ShotKneesHoop

Off Wikipedia

Queens Park Rangers
Clive Wilson made his QPR debut against Nottingham Forest in a 1-1 draw at the City Ground in August 1990. He was signed as a midfielder for QPR but the following season the new QPR boss, Gerry Francis, switched him to play left-back. It was here that Wilson truly found his position as his speed allied to his excellent passing ability made him an excellent defender.

Over the next four seasons he was a near ever-present for Rangers and he went on to play 172 league games for the R's, scoring 12 goals, all bar one scored from the penalty spot.

Playing career]
Peter Angell was a left-winger with Slough Town when Charlton Athletic were first interested in him. After a few games at the Valley in the London Mid-Week League, however, he was allowed to go to Queens Park Rangers, where he signed professional in June 1953.[1]

Angell made his debut for QPR in September 1953 in the 2—0 win against Walsall and went on to play 417 league games scoring 37 goals.

I rest my case.

Clive Wilson.... my all time favourite player

His only goal from open play... a superb and classic strike up at Anfield after coming on a s a sub if I recall.
From the huge distance of..... half a yard?!?!?

That pen he struck in the 92nd min v Millwallscum in the cup was the stuff a cloddhopper like Bidwell can only dream of.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 14:48 - Mar 31 with 1882 viewsMyke

Holloway took off his first choice penalty taker (Washington) so has to take responsibility for not delegating a replacement. That said, there was very little wrong with the penalty other than it was at a nice height to save. If it had gone in we wouldn't be having this conversation. Similarly, if Smithies had saved it we would be lauding him rather than saying it was poorly taken. Fine lines and all that. Just unfortunate we couldn't keep the run going, we had enough chances earlier to make the penalty debate academic
Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 17:37 - Mar 31 with 1808 viewsridethewave

Having just seen the penalty, all those saying it was unlucky and was a good strike are talking utter nonsense and need to get your eyes checked. It was an appalling penalty, barely to the side of the middle. Yes the keeper went the right way, but frankly that kind of spot kick is just desperate.
Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 18:27 - Mar 31 with 1759 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 17:37 - Mar 31 by ridethewave

Having just seen the penalty, all those saying it was unlucky and was a good strike are talking utter nonsense and need to get your eyes checked. It was an appalling penalty, barely to the side of the middle. Yes the keeper went the right way, but frankly that kind of spot kick is just desperate.

Having just watched the replay again I'm inclined to agree. It's a poor penalty struck at a comfortable height for the keeper just right of centre.

I can't understand the lack of decent penalty takers given the number of midfield players in the squad. Are none capable of passing a ball low and true into the corner of a net from 12 yards?
Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 19:38 - Mar 31 with 1706 viewsJigsore

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 20:08 - Mar 30 by Match82

Not exactly unheard of for a left back to be taking pens. Stuart Pearce and Clive Wilson come to mind.

Leighton Baines too

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 22:57 - Mar 31 with 1610 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 19:38 - Mar 31 by Jigsore

Leighton Baines too

Roberto Carlos
Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 22:57 - Mar 31 with 1609 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 22:57 - Mar 31 by BazzaInTheLoft

Roberto Carlos

Ian Harte
[Post edited 31 Mar 2018 22:58]
Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 23:55 - Mar 31 with 1581 viewskensalriser

OK, we get it. In the entire known history of football there are half a dozen left backs who were decent penalty takers.

J. Bidwell is not yet among them.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 04:33 - Apr 1 with 1526 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Apologies if I repeat what may have already been said, but the first point to consider: who has the minerals to want to take a penalty.

I am sure it was Hoddle explaining why Batty took a pen against the Argies. As he looked around his charges, many were looking away but Batty fronted-up.

After that, well it really is a question of hitting it as hard and as true at one of the four corners as you can. Do that, and you will invariably score. If you feel plucky enough to go down the middle, well so be it.

So, if it's your left back, right back or whoever is the only one prepared to step-up, and he's rubbish at taking pens; well maybe he's not the problem, but the lack of minerals in others might be!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 05:15 - Apr 1 with 1515 viewsqprd

Here we go again... Bidwell taking our penalties?! on 04:33 - Apr 1 by PlanetHonneywood

Apologies if I repeat what may have already been said, but the first point to consider: who has the minerals to want to take a penalty.

I am sure it was Hoddle explaining why Batty took a pen against the Argies. As he looked around his charges, many were looking away but Batty fronted-up.

After that, well it really is a question of hitting it as hard and as true at one of the four corners as you can. Do that, and you will invariably score. If you feel plucky enough to go down the middle, well so be it.

So, if it's your left back, right back or whoever is the only one prepared to step-up, and he's rubbish at taking pens; well maybe he's not the problem, but the lack of minerals in others might be!

Not a comparable scenario for a few reasons:

1. England 98 was a penalty shoot out. Hoddle had to pick at least 5 guys to take spot kicks and also determine the order. Ollie has to pick 1.

2. "Minerals" is relevant when talking about a World Cup knockout match, not a random Friday rubber match in a written-off season. Battie missed, and we still remember 20 years later. The Bidwell miss cost us one point that we wont need, as we file away this loss with the dozens of others from the last 3 season. I'm sure Bidwell is gutted he missed, but it doesn't matter.

3. Unlike international managers, club managers know the players well; Ollie has seen each of the players on our squad for over a year and a half. He should know by now who has the "minerals" to take a spot kick, not leave it to the players. Hoddle, by contrast, has much less interactions with the players and is likely to know who is ready to take the kick.

As I said above, Eze or Smyth could have very well wanted to have taken the kick. But do you think that as 19 year olds breaking into the squad, theyre going to want to disrupt the senior hierarchy?

I just don't understand how it isn't firmly established who takes penalties.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024