Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Film Night 19:44 - Apr 28 with 22899 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ok, knowledgeable people...give me one film that never disappoints.

Title
Genre
Actors/Directors
Why you should watch it...

Edit - I added a 'Why you should watch it... ' line
[Post edited 28 Apr 2018 20:11]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Film Night on 15:10 - Apr 29 with 3218 viewslondonscottish

I'm not a big film buff but when trapped on a transatlantic flight I've got to do something..

I recently watched Trainspotting 2 which I really enjoyed. Laugh out loud funny at times, I though it really caught the mood 20 years on.

Also watched Sausage Party. Hilarious.

Baby Driver was silly but fun.

Tried Detroit and Get Out. Hated them.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Film Night on 16:07 - Apr 29 with 3175 viewsTHEBUSH

Catch 22
Anti War
Mike Nicols, Orson Wells
Many reasons, including the stupidity of war.
Film Night on 23:19 - Apr 29 with 3122 viewsBedford_R

Shawshank Redemption
Prison drama
Morgan Freeman Tim Robbins/Frank Darabont
'Get busy living or get busy dying'

RMH_R Reborn

Film Night on 23:35 - Apr 29 with 3113 viewsPunteR

I re watched Stand by Me a couple of nights ago. Love that film

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Film Night on 07:12 - Apr 30 with 3062 viewsLancsR

The Warriors
Pure fight thriller
Director - Walter Hill
Michael Beck, James Remar, David Patrick Kelly.
Fight scenes in this film are still amazingly good 40 years on.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2018 7:34]
Film Night on 09:05 - Apr 30 with 3042 viewshubble

'IF'
Drama
Director Lindsay Anderson
Stars Malcolm McDowell
Palme D'Or winner 1969

Dark, witty, anti-establishment satire of English public school life. Worth the entrance fee for ending and scene with Catherine Noonan and McDowell in greasy spoon. Bonus for anyone into British bikes is a showroom stuffed with sparkling BSAs, Triumphs and Nortons, and what ensues....

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Film Night on 09:42 - Apr 30 with 3031 viewsqprxtc

Many moons ago when I was about 10 I saw a film on telly called 'Electra Glide in Blue'. I thought it was absolutely brilliant but I haven't seen it since so it could be complete crap now.

They don't show films like that anymore on tv. Now it's a million channels but not on decent film on anywhere.
Film Night on 09:56 - Apr 30 with 3023 viewsdannyblue

Mean Streets - Scorcese - New York low life - the atmosphere, the characters, the energy.
The Deerhunter - Cimino - Vietnam / Rust Belt - the poise, the performances, the drama.
Andrei Rublev - Tartovsky - Medieval Russia - unforgettable scenes unlike anything else.
Fitzcarraldo - Herzog - Madness in the jungle - more unforgettable scenes.
The Act of Killing - Oppenheimer - Indonesian mass murder - extraordinary documentary with elements of psychological genius.
Enjoy Poverty - Martens - the charity industry, the congo - obscure one but brilliantly manipulative.
Login to get fewer ads

Film Night on 10:20 - Apr 30 with 3007 viewsjohncharles

Film Night on 16:07 - Apr 29 by THEBUSH

Catch 22
Anti War
Mike Nicols, Orson Wells
Many reasons, including the stupidity of war.

I’ll never forget the bombers taking off in the rain. A great piece of filming.
Rumour has it that the film went seriously over budget because Nicols spent so much money building a whole runway for that sequence.
[Post edited 5 May 2018 0:24]

Strong and stable my arse.

Film Night on 16:29 - Apr 30 with 2951 viewsTHEBUSH

One Flew Over the Cuckoo´s Nest
Anti Establishment/Authority
Jack Nicholson, Milos Foreman
If your into anti establishnent stuff
Film Night on 18:01 - Apr 30 with 2929 viewseastside_r

The Apartment
Rom Com
The peerless (late) Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine.
Billy Wilder directs.
Film Night on 18:10 - Apr 30 with 2916 viewseastside_r

Also Oh Lucky Man
Anti-establishment / anti everything
Directed Lindsay Anderson
Film Night on 00:15 - May 5 with 2766 viewsDannyPaddox

Has anyone seen a 1996 film called Vibrations? I've just found this trailer. This is not a comedy. No no no. This is not a Comedy. This is "a total rave head trip!"

As for recommendations. I try to watch Kubrick's The Shining at least once a year. Something more obscure is a Czech Medieval epic from the 60s entitled Marketa Lazarova and I have it on good authority the best film out so far this year is Lean On Pete. But fk all that the big question is: do you know anything about techno?

[Post edited 5 May 2018 0:23]
Film Night on 18:22 - Mar 13 with 1203 viewsDiscodroids

One of the greatest clips , imo, carved into 35mm Panovision..

'My god.. stop him.. Szell!.. Der Weisse Engel!!.. he gets away.. stop him!"

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Film Night on 18:41 - Mar 13 with 1130 viewsbosh67

The Peanut Butter Falcon

Brilliant. Uplifting. Joyous.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Film Night on 19:33 - Mar 13 with 1037 viewsB_Wad

Obviously lots of good choices here. I am not sure if I've seen much classic noir listed so....

Title: Night of the Hunter
Genre: Noir
Actors/Director: Charles Laughton -director (the only film he ever directed) , Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters, Lillian Gish
Why: Iconic scenes and characters. Mitchum at his best as an evil southern preacher. Laughton tried to create scenery based on what a child might notice and remember which gives the film a special, surreal quality.
[Post edited 13 Mar 22:40]
Film Night on 20:02 - Mar 13 with 979 viewsjoe90

Film Night on 20:37 - Apr 28 by Discodroids

'Dead Mans shoes'
'2001 a space odyssey'
'VideoDrome'
'Meantime' by mike leigh
'intersteller'
'Tony(london serial killer)'
'morvern callar'
'sideways'

i can watch all of these films in infinite combinations in infinite computations as they symbolise the elements that create truth and beauty . they wont let you down bri.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2018 20:40]

VideoDrome is amazing! I watched it for the first time a couple of years ago at the Prince Charles. Looked brilliant on the big screen and the fact it was late night screening really added to the atmosphere.
Film Night on 20:13 - Mar 13 with 953 viewsjoe90

Title: Repo Man
Genre: Comedy/Sci-fi
Director: Alex Cox
Actors: Harry Dean Stanton, Emilio Estevez
Why: It captures a very particular time in 80s America through the lens of an LA punk. It’s not a conventional sci-fi and can viewed as an ‘LA car’ movie. A lot of social commentary but not delivered in a sanctimonious or angsty way. Excellent sound track. The film itself is rough around the edges and there are tons of little references, bloopers and inconsistencies that add to the quality and aesthetic. Directed by Englishman who is able to give an outsiders perspective on a fascinating and bizarre city.
Film Night on 20:40 - Mar 13 with 906 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Title - Four Year Plan

Genre - Comedy. Think The Sopranoes written by the Inbetweeners writers.

Actors - An array too numerous to mention. But Gianni Paladini could have come straight out of central casting as a somewhat more dubious Italuan captain from Allo Allo. Great plot twist at the end.

Great Lines - Anything that left Flavio Briatore's gob was often pure gold.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Film Night on 20:57 - Mar 13 with 886 viewsloftboy

Full metal jacket
Death wish
The green mile
[Post edited 13 Mar 20:58]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Film Night on 21:05 - Mar 13 with 864 viewsmerseyhoop

A few of my favourites have already been mentioned, The Warriors, Stand By Me, French Connection (have to also include the second one), True Romance , so in addition :-

Drive
Dir Nicholas Winding Refn Main Actor Ryan Gosling (pre barbie of course and he doesnt talk a lot)
Moody type thriller
Love the film, great visuals, violence, great soundtrack (electronic) esp A Real Hero by College & Electric Youth

LA Confidential
Dir: Curtis Hanson : bagful of stars Crowe, Guy Pearce , De Vito, Basinger etc
set in 1950s Hollywood, police corruption,
A film that I can watch again and again

Ice Cold in Alex
Dir: J Lee Thompson : with John Mills, Anthony Quayle, Slyvia Sims (wow she was a looker).
WWII desert thriller, great story & setting and leaves you gagging for a beer at the end

Death at a funeral (2007)
Dir: Frank Oz with Matthew Macfadyen, Peter Dinklage, Ewen Bremner, Daisy Donovan (looker), Keeley Hawes (looker)
British farce , has me laughing loads

I can think of loads more especially ealing comedies, QPR the four year plan, Dead Mans Shoes with Paddy Considine
Film Night on 21:14 - Mar 13 with 849 viewsDorse

Anchorman - just about the best ensemble character comedy / parody you'll see. For me, it's the only time Will Ferrell has properly, 100% 'nailed it' in every. single. scene. And he's not always the best one in it! Paul Rudd, Christina Apllegate, Steve Carrell, Vince Vaughan, David Koechner - that is one top group. A lot of dialogue was unscripted or improvised as needed but, mein Gott, it was good.

Loved it.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Film Night on 21:20 - Mar 13 with 827 viewsstainrods_elbow

Don't Look Now - the best English film ever made by your greatest director, Nic Roeg, closely followed by The man Who Fell To Earth.

Gregory's Girl, heart-achingly lovely, strange, with the adorable Clare Grogan.

Wings of Desire, the best European art movie by a country mile.

I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Film Night on 21:30 - Mar 13 with 816 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Vertigo
Thriller
Alfred Hitchcock
Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak. Also Barbara Bel Geddes who most will know as JRs mother, Ellie Ewing in Dallas!

Probably the most stunning film I've seen. Requires multiple viewings to truly understand the story. Career best from James Stewart and Hitchcock, the vivid colours and the down right dark storyline. Quite simply superb.

Flopped and derided by critics when released. Now considered one of the greatest films ever made.
Film Night on 21:30 - Mar 13 with 815 viewsChrisNW6

Green Book, lovely film and some solid acting.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024