Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Film Night 19:44 - Apr 28 with 22891 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ok, knowledgeable people...give me one film that never disappoints.

Title
Genre
Actors/Directors
Why you should watch it...

Edit - I added a 'Why you should watch it... ' line
[Post edited 28 Apr 2018 20:11]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Film Night on 21:34 - Mar 13 with 1868 viewsdmm

The most recent film I saw at the cinema - Zone of Interest. It's a truly remarkable work and directed by Jonathan Glazer who directed the 2013 film, Under the Skin.
Film Night on 22:19 - Mar 13 with 1768 viewslave16

Film Night on 21:34 - Mar 13 by dmm

The most recent film I saw at the cinema - Zone of Interest. It's a truly remarkable work and directed by Jonathan Glazer who directed the 2013 film, Under the Skin.

Scent of a woman - al Pacino brilliant
Star ship troopers
Carlitos Way

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

Film Night on 22:20 - Mar 13 with 1763 viewsBluce_Ree

Film Night on 20:13 - Mar 13 by joe90

Title: Repo Man
Genre: Comedy/Sci-fi
Director: Alex Cox
Actors: Harry Dean Stanton, Emilio Estevez
Why: It captures a very particular time in 80s America through the lens of an LA punk. It’s not a conventional sci-fi and can viewed as an ‘LA car’ movie. A lot of social commentary but not delivered in a sanctimonious or angsty way. Excellent sound track. The film itself is rough around the edges and there are tons of little references, bloopers and inconsistencies that add to the quality and aesthetic. Directed by Englishman who is able to give an outsiders perspective on a fascinating and bizarre city.

My absolute favourite film.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Film Night on 22:27 - Mar 13 with 1758 viewsE17hoop

Just a few of mine in no particular order;

Heat
Rather brilliantly paced heist by Michael Mann. DeNiro and Pacino are both excellent.

Arrival
Amy Adams is outstanding in Villeneuve's pre Blade Runner 2049 sci-fi. Johanssen score is incredible.

Audition
Japanese horror which goes from 0-60 in the second half.

12 Angry Men
Incredible study of prejudice in one room and black and white.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Film Night on 23:53 - Mar 13 with 1657 viewsMonkey_Roots

The Conversation
Thriller
Gene Hackman

It’s Gene fckin Hackman, the hunter becomes the hunted.
Film Night on 00:35 - Mar 14 with 1638 viewsloftupper

The African Queen
Bogart & Hepburn
Sunday afternoon classic!
Film Night on 08:46 - Mar 14 with 1489 viewslightwaterhoop

Some great movies mentioned here.

The Godfather 11 is my shout
Al Pacino,Robert DeNiro
Francis Ford Coppola

The American dream going horribly wrong and organised crime moving from the streets to the corridors of power.
Film Night on 09:33 - Mar 14 with 1429 viewsPaddyhoops

Dumb and Dumber.
Login to get fewer ads

Film Night on 09:53 - Mar 14 with 1411 viewsdaveB

Film Night on 21:34 - Mar 13 by dmm

I hadn't really heard of this until I saw it at the Oscars the other night, looks an incredible film
Film Night on 10:11 - Mar 14 with 1360 viewsterryb

I'm the only person I know that loves this film! Hopefully, I've got the title correct!

Little Big man
Western comedy
Dustin Hoffman (of course)

The story of a 100 year old cavalry man surviving the battle of The Little Big Horn, having spent most of his life being "rescued" by Cowboys & Indians.

Watching A Wonderful Life every Christmas never disappoints as well.
Film Night on 10:39 - Mar 14 with 1334 viewsPaddyhoops

Film Night on 09:33 - Mar 14 by Paddyhoops

Dumb and Dumber.

Goodfellas pretty decent as well.
Film Night on 10:50 - Mar 14 with 1330 viewsGaryT

Film Night on 09:53 - Mar 14 by daveB

I hadn't really heard of this until I saw it at the Oscars the other night, looks an incredible film

Same, I watched it last night and it's definitely a different way to tell the story we all know by now. It's more a fly on the wall documentary where you follow along with whoever is in the frame, be it the dog or the young maid, whilst the horrors of what is going on over the wall are almost out of sight.

You are left thinking to yourself, how long does it take before you become that comfortable with what is happening? Definitely worth a watch if you want reminding of just how cold and calculating mass murder can be.

*edit* typo
[Post edited 14 Mar 10:55]
Film Night on 11:15 - Mar 14 with 1303 viewsrbee

Mostly anything with DeNiro or Pacino at their peak.
Film Night on 12:47 - Mar 14 with 1231 viewsE17hoop

Film Night on 10:50 - Mar 14 by GaryT

Same, I watched it last night and it's definitely a different way to tell the story we all know by now. It's more a fly on the wall documentary where you follow along with whoever is in the frame, be it the dog or the young maid, whilst the horrors of what is going on over the wall are almost out of sight.

You are left thinking to yourself, how long does it take before you become that comfortable with what is happening? Definitely worth a watch if you want reminding of just how cold and calculating mass murder can be.

*edit* typo
[Post edited 14 Mar 10:55]

If you haven't seen it, I strongly recommend Son of Saul. By far and away the most powerful and upsetting film about the Holocaust I've ever seen.

I was very pleased Zone of Interest won best sound at the Oscars - the idea that 'things' were happening which you couldn't see but knew about by the noises off screen were incredibly visceral and upsetting.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Film Night on 12:51 - Mar 14 with 1227 viewsQPunkR

American History X
Crime/drama/thriller
dir: Tony Kaye (his directorial debut)
starring: Ed Norton

Just an amazing cinematic experience. Hard-hitting and doesn't pull any punches - watched it in the cinema and the ending just floored me. People left the auditorium in silence with some in tears, first time I've ever seen that

QPR - "shit but local"

Film Night on 12:54 - Mar 14 with 1226 viewsMonkey_Roots

Film Night on 18:22 - Mar 13 by Discodroids

One of the greatest clips , imo, carved into 35mm Panovision..

'My god.. stop him.. Szell!.. Der Weisse Engel!!.. he gets away.. stop him!"

Another great is the scene between Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken in True Romance.

Perfection.

Film Night on 13:53 - Mar 14 with 1145 viewsBacon

Film Night on 07:12 - Apr 30 by LancsR

The Warriors
Pure fight thriller
Director - Walter Hill
Michael Beck, James Remar, David Patrick Kelly.
Fight scenes in this film are still amazingly good 40 years on.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2018 7:34]

Warriors come out to Plaaayyyyaa

great film
Film Night on 13:57 - Mar 14 with 1136 viewsBacon

Ferris Buellers day off
John Hughes
Matthew Broderick, Mia Sara, Alan Ruck
Film Night on 14:00 - Mar 14 with 1122 viewsChrisNW6

Film Night on 13:57 - Mar 14 by Bacon

Ferris Buellers day off
John Hughes
Matthew Broderick, Mia Sara, Alan Ruck

Bueller, Bueller....Bueller
Film Night on 14:05 - Mar 14 with 1099 viewsR_from_afar

Film Night on 22:27 - Mar 13 by E17hoop

Just a few of mine in no particular order;

Heat
Rather brilliantly paced heist by Michael Mann. DeNiro and Pacino are both excellent.

Arrival
Amy Adams is outstanding in Villeneuve's pre Blade Runner 2049 sci-fi. Johanssen score is incredible.

Audition
Japanese horror which goes from 0-60 in the second half.

12 Angry Men
Incredible study of prejudice in one room and black and white.

"Heat" is superb. I nearly forgot to breathe while watching the big shoot-out, I was so gripped.

The best scene for me, though, is this one, which I think is the cleverest and most unexpected I have ever come across:

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Film Night on 15:25 - Mar 14 with 1002 viewshubble

Film Night on 10:11 - Mar 14 by terryb

I'm the only person I know that loves this film! Hopefully, I've got the title correct!

Little Big man
Western comedy
Dustin Hoffman (of course)

The story of a 100 year old cavalry man surviving the battle of The Little Big Horn, having spent most of his life being "rescued" by Cowboys & Indians.

Watching A Wonderful Life every Christmas never disappoints as well.

A decent film, Terry, but the book it's based on is brilliant (IMHO). An incredible insight into the final days of the Native Americans as a free people, through the eyes of a young European lad whose pioneer family are waylaid in the Wild West and is subsequently (partially) raised by the Cheyenne.

This has made me think of the Maori film 'The Dead Lands'. Set in a time long before the Europeans arrived in New Zealand, I thought it was absolutely gripping. So that's my second film night recommendation.

Edit, hopefully this youtube link works
[Post edited 15 Mar 8:31]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Film Night on 15:52 - Mar 14 with 986 viewsmarkrtid

Pan's Labyrinth
Fantasy/Horror.
Guillermo del Toro.
Unknown actors to us but its all so good that it don't matter.
Watch it?
Because it is so f'kin brilliant!!
Film Night on 16:48 - Mar 14 with 946 viewsSalisburyHoop1968

Two of the greatest films directed by the genius Sam Peckinpah. I give you the Wild Bunch or Cross of Iron. Both way ahead of there time. I believe that the Wild Bunch was banned for a time due to its use of slow motion in the shootings. It has the best beginning and end to a film I have ever watched. You will not be disappointed in either.
Film Night on 20:34 - Mar 14 with 858 viewsSonofpugwash

As Science Fiction (non Star Wars) nut I rather like The Chronicles Of Riddiick as being the closest yet to the Golden Age depiction.Real thud and blunder stuff - and there's a fourth episode in the pipeline!

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Film Night on 22:30 - Mar 14 with 782 viewsqprxtc

I’ll tell you a f ucking film not to f ucking watch.

Saltburn.

A massive load of f ucking overrated, flatulent pile of steaming bollocks. One of the very worst f ucking films I’ve seen in a long f ucking time.

Film reviewers are f ucking weird. This was made by the smuggest bunch of middle class f ucked up wan kstains who think they’re oh so f ucking clever.

Bowlocks. Load of absolute f ucking sh1t.

Boo.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024