Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bright 14:08 - Jul 17 with 36297 viewsNorthernr

Heard earlier today that he's not in squad tomorrow after a bid was accepted.
Was a bit sceptical but now Belgian journo says Club Bruges have agreed a £5m fee.

Bright on 10:50 - Jul 18 with 2448 viewsParkRoyalR

Bright on 23:55 - Jul 17 by Myke

I am obviously a good deal older than you Antti I am still gutted about Parks going to West Ham never mind Sinclair! With regard to Manning, he is first and foremost a winger so is obviously better at going forward. If he joined a team that used him as a wing back and they had a decent left-sided CB then he could do very well. I like him a lot, but would happily take 2M for him. It's a tribute to Warburton that he had successfully fulfilled his two main remits: Keep up in the Championship and increase the resale value of our younger players . The fact that we have played some really attractive football along the way was a very welcome bonus.

Excellent post Myke, completely agree with all your points, very well put.

As an aside, Phil Parkes was my first Rangers hero, and probably last time we played at Upton Park, I was in a corporate lounge there in a room of a few hundred when he got up to speak,

95% West Ham and he was asked West Ham or Rangers - said he played exact same amount of games for each club (350 odd) and loved both clubs equally. I thought fair play as he could have played the crowd but did'nt, and still got a great reception from all at the end.
Bright on 11:11 - Jul 18 with 2389 viewsOldPedro

Bright on 10:47 - Jul 18 by qprd

Lets put the transfer fee aside for a moment.

My biggest issue with this is the timing. Why are we selling a player before the English season ends?

Bruges are clearly happy to wait (they made their bid in May and are clearly happy waiting for this one). I'm sure this deal would've been on the table in 2-3 weeks.

Why are we selling Bright before the English season ends and the dust settles? I've read that Burnley and Bournemouth have expressed interest in him. Bournemouth could be coming down with a lot of parachute payments, and Bright could be a very attractive player for them in this division. Burnley could qualify for Europe, and that windfall and the need for greater squad depth may have led them to pay a premium? Same for clubs like WBA who may go up with the prem windfall and Villa who may come down with parachute payments.

Putting on my professional hat for a second- if you are going to sell at a price that seems to be below market, it is incumbent on you to go through a genuine auction process. There is nothing that would inflate Bright's price more than a few english clubs circling around him.

Perhaps Bright was insistent on making this move to Belgium happen. For me, its hard to believe that he was that keen to go, or that if a lower half prem team came in, he wouldnt want to go there.

The timing just doesnt make sense.

Maybe we just need the money now or there is some clause in his contract that he can go for a certain fee - we just don't know the details.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Brigh on 11:59 - Jul 18 with 2273 viewsDiscodroids

I was hoping for £8 million, would have been sated at £6-7 Million, feel disappointment at 5 Million euro.

I wish i could inject more emotion and passion into the debate/ issue at hand but to be honest, no plumbline made by man could measure the depth of my apathy towards QPR Over the past 3 years.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2020 12:00]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Bright on 12:20 - Jul 18 with 2220 viewsNortholt_Rs

Bright on 11:11 - Jul 18 by OldPedro

Maybe we just need the money now or there is some clause in his contract that he can go for a certain fee - we just don't know the details.

Or nobody else had shown interest in signing him....if that is the case then there is no auction. It is a puny amount of money though for sure....to add to our long list of disappointing player sales.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Bright on 12:31 - Jul 18 with 2195 viewsjohnhoop

Bright on 10:22 - Jul 18 by Welsh_Ranger

Imagine! I think the point should be it doesn't necessarily need to be spent on Bright's replacement but on areas of the squad like defence that need it.

You seriously think the midfield and forwards we’ve got left would be adequate for Championship survival?
Bright on 12:36 - Jul 18 with 2177 viewsManinBlack

Brigh on 11:59 - Jul 18 by Discodroids

I was hoping for £8 million, would have been sated at £6-7 Million, feel disappointment at 5 Million euro.

I wish i could inject more emotion and passion into the debate/ issue at hand but to be honest, no plumbline made by man could measure the depth of my apathy towards QPR Over the past 3 years.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2020 12:00]

I understand that feeling of apathy. Following this club does have that affect.

The fee is a letdown when you consider how much Bruges receive for their Champions League payments so I am sure we could have got a five figure sum from them.
Bright on 12:57 - Jul 18 with 2128 viewsfrancisbowles

Bright on 12:36 - Jul 18 by ManinBlack

I understand that feeling of apathy. Following this club does have that affect.

The fee is a letdown when you consider how much Bruges receive for their Champions League payments so I am sure we could have got a five figure sum from them.

What you think he is not worth more than Jimmy Greaves was in December 1961.? i.e £99,999. Lol

We have got a seven figure sum, I think you were alluding to him being worth in excess of £10 million, so more than double the current fee, in spite of

1. Bos only having a year left
2. Bos not wanting to sign another contract and being able to leave for nothing or virtually nothing next year
3. Covid
4. He has been reported as wanting to go to Belgium
Bright on 13:11 - Jul 18 with 2079 viewsAntti_Heinola

Bright on 10:47 - Jul 18 by qprd

Lets put the transfer fee aside for a moment.

My biggest issue with this is the timing. Why are we selling a player before the English season ends?

Bruges are clearly happy to wait (they made their bid in May and are clearly happy waiting for this one). I'm sure this deal would've been on the table in 2-3 weeks.

Why are we selling Bright before the English season ends and the dust settles? I've read that Burnley and Bournemouth have expressed interest in him. Bournemouth could be coming down with a lot of parachute payments, and Bright could be a very attractive player for them in this division. Burnley could qualify for Europe, and that windfall and the need for greater squad depth may have led them to pay a premium? Same for clubs like WBA who may go up with the prem windfall and Villa who may come down with parachute payments.

Putting on my professional hat for a second- if you are going to sell at a price that seems to be below market, it is incumbent on you to go through a genuine auction process. There is nothing that would inflate Bright's price more than a few english clubs circling around him.

Perhaps Bright was insistent on making this move to Belgium happen. For me, its hard to believe that he was that keen to go, or that if a lower half prem team came in, he wouldnt want to go there.

The timing just doesnt make sense.

I think it's perfectly understandable he wants to go there.
A lot of young players are looking abroad now. They have seen what many have said for a long time: go to a Prem club and you'll be stuck on the bench the entire time, just trying to get 40 points to survive.
Or, go to a forward thinking CL club, who might win their national league title, and it's not really that far from London.
Seems a no-brainer for me. Bounremouth in the Championship or Bruges in the Champions League? Er...

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Bright on 13:21 - Jul 18 with 2048 viewsWrightUp5hit___

It's just that insistence on a move to Belgium that just leaves me a bit bemused.

Wonderful beer, chips, waffles, chocolate and blues bars but for a young footballer?

Sure it may be champions league football, but, with all respect to Club Brugge, not for too many rounds.

Family in Belgium? or a girlfriend? But footballing reasons, hard to see.
Bright on 13:28 - Jul 18 with 2010 viewsgigiisourgod

Bright on 04:51 - Jul 18 by nadera78

Six months ago every single Rangers fan was saying the same thing about BOS - that he was quick, with some obvious talent, but very inconsistent. He wasn't even a regular in the team. That just shows how quickly things can change around, for both a player and a club. He's been offered a new contract - at a salary the club feels it can afford and he's obviously not interested in signing for that, which is his prerogative. I can guarantee that if the club acquiesced to his demands and then he sat on his arse getting fat for the next 3 years then we'd all be criticising Les, etc for giving in to him.

Would I have liked a bit more that 5m for him? Sure, but is it a bad deal? Not really. I guess, as others have said, the final evaluation will be based on any sell-on fee we've negotiated, how he progresses in Belgium, and how much Brugge sell him for.

As a slight caveat to this. I would say also selling to the right club where the sell on clause can become relevant is a sign of a good deal. For example, Belgium and Portugal seem to be good feeding grounds to increase players values. So if Bright goes on to become a great success at Brugge and gets sold for £20m later down the line I don’t think this makes the price of £4/5m accepted by the club any worse, hoping we have a sell on clause. Not only this, but other players will look at this as an example and an influencer when deciding to sign for us. We not only do the right thing for the club, but also the best thing for the player. Will imagine this signing will be held up as a shining example the next time we try to buy low and may give us an edge over other clubs. More so than if we sold him to Sheff Utd and he sat on the bench not getting minutes, because (in my opinion) he is not up to that standard yet.

Good deal for the club, great deal for the player in my opinion.
Bright on 13:33 - Jul 18 with 1988 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Bright on 12:31 - Jul 18 by johnhoop

You seriously think the midfield and forwards we’ve got left would be adequate for Championship survival?

I think that there are many areas of the squad that need improving. The breadman will look to use the money to strengthen the areas that need it most.

My opinion for what its worth is it that we have young players coming through on the flanks (Smyth, Alfa, Shodipo) who need game time to establish if they are going to be good enough for the Championship and that we shouldn't be blocking their pathway to the 1st team.

You are certainly right though John that our center mid and Striker positions need considerable improvement but i think they might look to loan a striker/midfielder again rather than try and buy one.
Bright on 13:40 - Jul 18 with 1952 viewsMyke

Bright on 10:50 - Jul 18 by ParkRoyalR

Excellent post Myke, completely agree with all your points, very well put.

As an aside, Phil Parkes was my first Rangers hero, and probably last time we played at Upton Park, I was in a corporate lounge there in a room of a few hundred when he got up to speak,

95% West Ham and he was asked West Ham or Rangers - said he played exact same amount of games for each club (350 odd) and loved both clubs equally. I thought fair play as he could have played the crowd but did'nt, and still got a great reception from all at the end.

Parkes was both a top keeper and top bloke. Incredible to think that because of Shilton/Clemence he only won one cap - now they are depending on Pickford!
Bright on 13:52 - Jul 18 with 1902 viewsBAWHoops

Bright on 13:28 - Jul 18 by gigiisourgod

As a slight caveat to this. I would say also selling to the right club where the sell on clause can become relevant is a sign of a good deal. For example, Belgium and Portugal seem to be good feeding grounds to increase players values. So if Bright goes on to become a great success at Brugge and gets sold for £20m later down the line I don’t think this makes the price of £4/5m accepted by the club any worse, hoping we have a sell on clause. Not only this, but other players will look at this as an example and an influencer when deciding to sign for us. We not only do the right thing for the club, but also the best thing for the player. Will imagine this signing will be held up as a shining example the next time we try to buy low and may give us an edge over other clubs. More so than if we sold him to Sheff Utd and he sat on the bench not getting minutes, because (in my opinion) he is not up to that standard yet.

Good deal for the club, great deal for the player in my opinion.

This is an excellent point.

He’s more likely to move to Southampton for £15m in 2 years time (perhaps netting us another £1-2m) as opposed to Saints paying £7m for him now when his pedigree is slightly questionable

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Bright on 14:00 - Jul 18 with 1856 viewsMatch82

Bright on 13:11 - Jul 18 by Antti_Heinola

I think it's perfectly understandable he wants to go there.
A lot of young players are looking abroad now. They have seen what many have said for a long time: go to a Prem club and you'll be stuck on the bench the entire time, just trying to get 40 points to survive.
Or, go to a forward thinking CL club, who might win their national league title, and it's not really that far from London.
Seems a no-brainer for me. Bounremouth in the Championship or Bruges in the Champions League? Er...

Don't underestimate the difficulty of upping and moving abroad though especially at that age.
Bright on 14:05 - Jul 18 with 1837 viewsR_from_afar

Bright on 13:40 - Jul 18 by Myke

Parkes was both a top keeper and top bloke. Incredible to think that because of Shilton/Clemence he only won one cap - now they are depending on Pickford!

He absolutely is a top bloke. I spoke to him when he was doing some work at a neighbour's house a couple of years ago and he was humble, friendly and happy to talk about Rangers, Gerry and football in general. A really good egg

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Bright on 14:10 - Jul 18 with 1813 viewsdavman

Bright on 07:48 - Jul 18 by joe90

How is a players value worked out?

Like a house - only what someone is prepared to pay...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Bright on 14:21 - Jul 18 with 1768 viewsNewhopphoops

Ilias Chair started out at Bruges, I think. Probably not a total coincidence.
Bright on 14:22 - Jul 18 with 1765 viewsManinBlack

Bright on 12:57 - Jul 18 by francisbowles

What you think he is not worth more than Jimmy Greaves was in December 1961.? i.e £99,999. Lol

We have got a seven figure sum, I think you were alluding to him being worth in excess of £10 million, so more than double the current fee, in spite of

1. Bos only having a year left
2. Bos not wanting to sign another contract and being able to leave for nothing or virtually nothing next year
3. Covid
4. He has been reported as wanting to go to Belgium

Yes you are right I meant 7 figures.

All I was suggesting is that Bruges have the money to double the payment to £10 million as they get CL money that clubs like Bournemouth, Southampton and the likes don't get. Also we have undersold players in the past so it's about time we held someone to ransom as happened to us when we had money for a short while.
Bright on 14:29 - Jul 18 with 1736 viewsslmrstid

Obviously pure conjecture, but given footballers and ex-teammates stay in contact I wonder if Luke Freeman has had any influence on Bright wanting to look abroad.

"Look here mate, I got a Prem move, and then got shafted as I've never been played"

My sister lives in Belgium, about an hour away from Brussels (and has been living there 10 years or so). Great country and if he plays every week, wins some silverware and gets to play in Europe, in a country thats not that difficult to move to and settle in, it would be great for him.

Sad to see him leave us but that's football. The key is what we do to replace him.
Bright on 15:31 - Jul 18 with 1659 viewsnottonyfernandes

Bright on 10:33 - Jul 18 by qprd

Clive- pardon my lack of knowledge on this point, but its my understanding that clubs can get a compensation fee for players they develop who then leave on a free (e.g., danny ings when he went to liverpool).

Do you know if we would've been entitled to any money if he did go for free (next year)? My sense is that probably not since he had already played quite a bit for blackpool, but i dont know how this works.

If we couldve gotten some compensation for him had he left for free next summer, we really shouldnt be thinking of this as a GBP4.7m fee (assuming no sell on/add ons). Rather, the transfer free would be GBP4.7m - the compensation fee - one year lost of probably our second best player)

The twitter morons are unsurprisingly... still morons... but this was pretty depressing to wake up to

Hey @qprd, compensation is only if it’s to another club in England, have been offered a new contract and under 23, so wouldn’t be applicable if bright went abroad. They can also start negotiating with him since January so as much as I hate to see bright leave I think we got a decent amount.
Bright on 16:25 - Jul 18 with 1584 viewsflynnbo

Bright who?
Meant for match thread duh!
[Post edited 18 Jul 2020 16:28]
Bright on 17:34 - Jul 18 with 1508 viewsBoston

Bright on 07:48 - Jul 18 by joe90

How is a players value worked out?

Think of a number, then double it.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Bright on 17:53 - Jul 18 with 1421 viewsNW5Hoop

Bright on 14:22 - Jul 18 by ManinBlack

Yes you are right I meant 7 figures.

All I was suggesting is that Bruges have the money to double the payment to £10 million as they get CL money that clubs like Bournemouth, Southampton and the likes don't get. Also we have undersold players in the past so it's about time we held someone to ransom as happened to us when we had money for a short while.

No, because the Belgian league's TV deal is worth €103m per year, which is less than the Championship. The Premier League TV deal is £1.57bn per season. Any Premier League club is richer than any club in Belgium, based purely on TV revenue. Premier League clubs are so rich that Palace could afford to pay Cabaye more than PSG a couple of years back, remember.
Bright on 18:03 - Jul 18 with 1391 viewsManinBlack

Bright on 17:53 - Jul 18 by NW5Hoop

No, because the Belgian league's TV deal is worth €103m per year, which is less than the Championship. The Premier League TV deal is £1.57bn per season. Any Premier League club is richer than any club in Belgium, based purely on TV revenue. Premier League clubs are so rich that Palace could afford to pay Cabaye more than PSG a couple of years back, remember.

I don't doubt for one minute what you are saying that the Belgian league gets less money, you are correct. But won't Bruges get more than us for participating in the Champions league added to their league TV money?
Bright on 22:03 - Jul 18 with 1250 viewsVancouverHoop

Bright on 14:21 - Jul 18 by Newhopphoops

Ilias Chair started out at Bruges, I think. Probably not a total coincidence.

Lierse, both as a youth and two senior games for them in the Belgian second division. He had a cup of coffee with Brugge's academy but never played for them.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2020 22:04]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024