Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again 10:18 - Aug 20 with 8725 viewsKonk

As the title suggests:

1) Music festivals: I went to Reading in '92, and despite loving live music and camping, I've never been to another music festival. We borrowed a tent (from the 1950's), which when we unpacked it, seemed to be made from bamboo canes and carrier bags. Whole thing collapsed at about 4am during a storm on the Thursday night and was fu cked for the rest of our stay. Just looked at the line-up to remind myself who played, and can't remember any of it. What I can remember is the lad who was sharing a tent with me, using a multipack of Wotsits for a pillow, and another mate returning to his tent to find that someone had shat on his sleeping bag. Good times. Loads of mates have done countless festivals in the UK and Europe since, but I've never felt the urge. Not sure why - I enjoyed Reading and should love festivals.

2) International football tournament: I took redundancy to do a bit of travelling, started off with a month in Portugal for Euro 2004, and had an amazing time. Loved travelling around a great country, got to watch ten games at some cool grounds, had a top time drinking with friends from home, locals and fans from all over Europe. Spent a month laughing and having a great time. No bother at all, our idiots were easy to avoid, and I was sure I'd get to loads more tournaments. Haven't been to a single international game since.

3) Skydiving. 2004 - I had no interest in doing a sky dive, but I was in NZ and my mate's Dad, who was 70-odd at the time, had just done one, and I sort of felt embarrassed not to. I did a tandem jump, so didn't have to do much other than jump out of a plane, but it was easily one of the best experiences, I've ever had. Absolutely loved it. Couldn't sleep that night because of the adrenalin rush, and was convinced I'd be doing it again at every available opportunity. Haven't been anywhere near a parachute since.

4) Sailing. 2004 - I did a lot of eating and drinking on boats with friends in NZ and Australia, but only had one day of actually helping to operate a sailing boat. Really enjoyed it. Again, I was sure that when I got back to London, I would get my mates into sailing and we'd all spend our weekends pis sing about out at sea. Never happened.

5) Dogging: 3 weeks ago, I found myself in our local cricket club car park watching a middle-aged couple going for it in a Burgundy Nissan Note. The bloke was wearing a fleece jacket. Light drizzle, 10pm, my wife and son asleep at home. I was struggling to work out what was happening and what all the fuss was until an experienced dogger turned-up with a headtorch. Extraordinary. Haven't been back since, though.

What activities/experiences have you had that you thought would become a big part of your life, but haven't?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 15:41 - Aug 20 with 2116 viewsderbyhoop

Travel

Grand Canyon & Hoover Dam from Las Vegas
Cape Point, South Africa
Test Match @ Gabba (Australia vs Pakistan with OH)
Newport, Rhode Island
Frankfurt

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 15:59 - Aug 20 with 2073 viewspaulparker

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 14:35 - Aug 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

I’m a washing machine salesman actually.

Hey Keith how’s it going

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 16:00 - Aug 20 with 2072 viewsPhildo

One epic night on Southern comfort but could never look at the stuff again
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 16:01 - Aug 20 with 2071 viewsmarky67

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 14:50 - Aug 20 by BrianMcCarthy

Scuba Diving - In Bermuda. Hated the claustrophobia, sharks and barracudas. We don't belong down there.

Sorry, back on topic.

White Water Rafting - In New Zealand. Somewhere on the South Island. Loved it. Including an 8m drop. Great buzz.

Notting Hill Carnival - Red Stripe Beer and lots of ganj. Gunshots in the Night. No idea why I never went back.

that white water rafting was probably in queenstown brian that is where i done it and probably the best thing i`ve ever done still get a buzz thinking about it now.

horse riding, absailing, canoeing, water skiing,grass skiing all done in some place near exmoor on a school journey when i was in the 1st year of secondary school. not done any of them since.
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 16:12 - Aug 20 with 2041 viewsEsox_Lucius

Played in a match with Andrew Strauss when he was the permitted Middx. player at Uxbridge. My son played too and was singled out as a weakness in the field as he was only 14 but he did OK at square leg.

The grass is always greener.

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 17:07 - Aug 20 with 1955 viewsGuppy

southern comfort
Bacardi
tequila
San Miguel
dark rum
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 17:11 - Aug 20 with 1946 viewsqpr_1968

getting to the top of croagh patrick, loved it.
ice on the top.
shrouded in one big cloud, couldnt see a thing.
slipped on the wet shingle no end of times.
and this was july, but well worth it.
oldens running up in bare feet.....die hards.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 19:17 - Aug 20 with 1852 viewsSharpy36

Shrooms

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Login to get fewer ads

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 19:21 - Aug 20 with 1860 viewsBklynRanger

Sounds like something happened between 2004 and 2005 there Konk!

A quite mundane but slightly odd one for me is driving. Had a couple of lessons with my dad when I was 17, reversed into a fence during a premature 3 point turn, big row, got back home in time for Football Italia and didn't bother my arse again. Moved to London as a student - didn't need to learn there. Moved to New York - friends or partners drove and the parking is a nightmare anyway - driving around 3 times a week before 9 just to move your car to the other side of the street.

Am in Iceland now (the country not the purveyor of premium frozen delicacies) and heading off on an 8 day road trip on Saturday. The wife will do all the driving - I'll handle the navigation and have my hands free to take pictures - suits me fine. I do have the odd friend whose had difficulty looking me in the eye when I tell them I don't actually drive but I'm fine with it - might learn some day if I need to I suppose - backroads of Utah or somewhere like that. :)
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 19:22]
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 21:05 - Aug 20 with 1772 viewsMyke

Slapped Tony Currie on the back. I loved it. He didn't. So 'NEVER AGAIN'
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 21:28 - Aug 20 with 1755 viewsQPRSteve

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 03:39 - Aug 21 with 1665 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 16:01 - Aug 20 by marky67

that white water rafting was probably in queenstown brian that is where i done it and probably the best thing i`ve ever done still get a buzz thinking about it now.

horse riding, absailing, canoeing, water skiing,grass skiing all done in some place near exmoor on a school journey when i was in the 1st year of secondary school. not done any of them since.

I've been asking Marky, and it turns out that it was on the North Island, near Rotorua

Biggest Drop In The etc.....

It was advertised as an 8m with a big draw-in at the bottom, but in truth there were the two guides at the back and me in the front paddling when we dropped. My other four gorgeous companions completely forgot to paddle to get us out of it, which suggests that it was far from vicious.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 06:32 - Aug 21 with 1632 viewsSydneyRs

1. Bungee jump - loved afterwards, absolutely sh@t myself before and during.
2. Skydive - in the same week as the bungee. Not as scary but just as enjoyable.
3. FA cup final - 1982
4. NRL Grand Final - 2014
5. England away game - Poland in 1991
6. European cup final - Barca v Sampdoria at Wembley. Koeman free kick in ET won it.
7. Got married
8. Spent a night in a police cell. Enjoyable because everyone in there was drunk and not taking it very seriously.
9. Watched Chelsea lose 6-0.
10. Watched Chelsea get relegated in a playoff game. 80s v Boro when a first division team used to be involved in the playoffs, kicked off hugely afterwards. Was in the away end, loved it.
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 07:37 - Aug 21 with 1611 viewsdistortR

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 12:19 - Aug 20 by RangersDave

Try swimming with Hammerheads in the Galapagos ;-)
seen it, done it, couldnt get the t-shirt to fit!
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 12:20]

I'll trump you with swimming with turds off laxey Bay.

2020 and we're still pumping shit straight out to sea.

Edit - slightly off topic mind, as i didn't enjoy it.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2020 7:43]
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 07:55 - Aug 21 with 1599 viewsLoftgirl

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 06:32 - Aug 21 by SydneyRs

1. Bungee jump - loved afterwards, absolutely sh@t myself before and during.
2. Skydive - in the same week as the bungee. Not as scary but just as enjoyable.
3. FA cup final - 1982
4. NRL Grand Final - 2014
5. England away game - Poland in 1991
6. European cup final - Barca v Sampdoria at Wembley. Koeman free kick in ET won it.
7. Got married
8. Spent a night in a police cell. Enjoyable because everyone in there was drunk and not taking it very seriously.
9. Watched Chelsea lose 6-0.
10. Watched Chelsea get relegated in a playoff game. 80s v Boro when a first division team used to be involved in the playoffs, kicked off hugely afterwards. Was in the away end, loved it.

I was in the away end when Chelsea went down that day too.
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 08:28 - Aug 21 with 1565 viewsSydneyRs

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 07:55 - Aug 21 by Loftgirl

I was in the away end when Chelsea went down that day too.

Good stuff, it really was a joy to watch. The violence afterwards was pretty bad as Chelsea fans turned on the police because they couldn't get to the Boro end. About 40,000 there as I recall with maybe 5 or 6 thousand in the away end.
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 08:55 - Aug 21 with 1542 viewsLoftgirl

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 08:28 - Aug 21 by SydneyRs

Good stuff, it really was a joy to watch. The violence afterwards was pretty bad as Chelsea fans turned on the police because they couldn't get to the Boro end. About 40,000 there as I recall with maybe 5 or 6 thousand in the away end.

It was hard to keep the smile off my face and pretend to look miserable on the walk back to the station.
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 11:30 - Aug 21 with 1494 viewsstowmarketrange

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 15:41 - Aug 20 by derbyhoop

Travel

Grand Canyon & Hoover Dam from Las Vegas
Cape Point, South Africa
Test Match @ Gabba (Australia vs Pakistan with OH)
Newport, Rhode Island
Frankfurt

I spent a week camping in the Grand Canyon 6 years ago on a charity trek.Amazing place,and I can’t wait to go back again in May for another trek.Assuming my knee holds out.

Somebody else mentioned scuba diving.My wife paid for a week on a dive boat from hurgada on the Red Sea for my 40th birthday.It was fantastic just to get up in the mornings and spend the whole day diving and swimming with an assortment of creatures.
One particular dive was over the top of a drop off wall of god knows how deep,with small sharks swimming about below us.
We were happily swimming around and then I noticed my dive watch and it showed 36m.Considering I was only PADI trained to 18m,it came as a bit of a shock to the system.Needless to say I made a rather hasty ascent as quickly and safely as possible.
I don’t think I could fit into my wet suit now however much talc I use.
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 11:37 - Aug 21 with 1484 viewsNorthernr

Winning at Nottingham Forest.
Go-Karting.
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 11:39 - Aug 21 with 1478 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Witnessing a Joey Barton corner clear the first man.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2020 11:39]
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 12:11 - Aug 21 with 1449 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 11:39 - Aug 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

Look, if we're just going to make $hit up....

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 12:22 - Aug 21 with 1433 viewsrrrspricey

Reaching 200 mph on a race tuned BMW1000RR on the 1km+ back straight at Aragon last May, although getting it stopped for the last corner was a bit hairy.

Scuba diving: Did it in Egypt a few years ago, amazing experience, just like swimming around in a giant tropical fish tank.

Watching us win at Florist and Wembley
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 12:51 - Aug 21 with 1397 viewsWokingR

Sally Jones
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 12:53 - Aug 21 with 1390 viewsLoftgirl

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 11:39 - Aug 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

You were dreaming.
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 12:58 - Aug 21 with 1372 viewsSonofNorfolt

Flying lessons.
Had one, great. Then I thought am I really going to use this? Hoping for a scenario straight from an Airplane movie where the stewardess asks if there are any pilots on board?

Anal sex. Sorry wrong messageboard.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024