Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. 20:28 - Dec 9 with 6480 viewsqprxtc

Only Catch 22 for me.

I read it every five years or so. Gets better every time. I haven’t read a book better so far.

Although, The Dice Man (only read once) is the only book, so far, that has repulsed me, made me cry with laughter and surprised me in one read. It ends perfectly too. I’m kind of scared to read it again though.

But I haven’t read a fiction book on over ten years. Now it’s just history books or music books.

Books are good. Reading is the way to go.

Reading Ray Davies “Autobiography” at the moment.

And drinking a bottle of Southern Comfort.

Great film with Powers Boothe.

I’m rambling.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 20:32 - Dec 9 with 2385 viewsHantsR

Catch 22 and Dice man? Me too for same reasons as yours My other favourites were anything by John Steinbeck, Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden ...
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 20:34 - Dec 9 with 2376 viewsOutintheOrne

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists. Read it many times and is a truly remarkable achievement for the author.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. (n/t) on 20:37 - Dec 9 with 2362 viewsMickS

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 20:34 - Dec 9 by OutintheOrne

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists. Read it many times and is a truly remarkable achievement for the author.

Gerald Durrell - My Family and Other Animals. Our non Shakespeare read for English literature O level. Got a big fat U unclassified. I’ve read it countless times and visited one of the Durrell houses on holiday in Corfu last year. What a fantastic upbringing he had.

Still my favourite ever read.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 20:43]
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 20:38 - Dec 9 with 2357 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I, Phoolan Devi
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 20:42 - Dec 9 with 2349 viewsDiscodroids

' You don't have to say you love me' Simon Napier Bell
'take it like a man' boy george
'geek love' katherine dunne
'tainted life' marc almond
'altered state, the story of acid house' matthew collin.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 20:49 - Dec 9 with 2322 viewsEsox_Lucius

Malazan, Book Of The Fallen
His Dark Materials
Harry Potter
Lord Of The Rings
The Dark Tower
The Witcher

The grass is always greener.

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 20:49 - Dec 9 with 2319 viewsqprxtc

I absolutely f ucking hated Tainted Love by Soft Cell at the time and still can’t listen to it, it’s wimpy, synthy nonsense that led to a ton of shite.

Marc Almond on his own I really like. He has, In my opinion, great taste in music ans made some cracking covers and original songs. Interesting bloke too.

But Tainted Love is fu cking shit. Stopped Stand and Deliver being the best selling single of 1981.

Dah diddley f ucking qua qua.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 20:52 - Dec 9 with 2307 viewsted_hendrix

I have read all of Sven Hassel's books more than once.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:02 - Dec 9 with 2289 viewsBlackCrowe

Monte Cassino. Jesus, that Tiny was a sort.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. (n/t) on 21:04 - Dec 9 with 2282 viewsA40Bosh

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. (n/t) on 20:37 - Dec 9 by MickS

Gerald Durrell - My Family and Other Animals. Our non Shakespeare read for English literature O level. Got a big fat U unclassified. I’ve read it countless times and visited one of the Durrell houses on holiday in Corfu last year. What a fantastic upbringing he had.

Still my favourite ever read.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 20:43]

We had to do My Family and Other Animals but i think we did it earlier than O Level year, don't remember to much about it to be honest.

The Dice Man was one of those books that left me with a really weird feeling and wishing I had never read it after I finished it.

When life has been really stressful during the last 20 years for one reason or another I have buried myself a number of times in The Fellowship of the Rings. There is an gentle innocence in the opening book that allows me to escape to a world without mental health issues, chronic fatigue, alcoholism and the other family daily challenges - well that was until I found Golf during lockdown v1 - no time for reading now - other than the lie of the ball.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:07 - Dec 9 with 2273 viewsBlackCrowe

A Good Man In Africa (still the funniest book i've read)
Lord Of The Rings
The Magus
Charlie And the Chocolate Factory
Five On A Treasure Island
Jaws (Chapter Eight sex scene, aged 9 or something)

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:07 - Dec 9 with 2273 viewsDiscodroids

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 20:49 - Dec 9 by qprxtc

I absolutely f ucking hated Tainted Love by Soft Cell at the time and still can’t listen to it, it’s wimpy, synthy nonsense that led to a ton of shite.

Marc Almond on his own I really like. He has, In my opinion, great taste in music ans made some cracking covers and original songs. Interesting bloke too.

But Tainted Love is fu cking shit. Stopped Stand and Deliver being the best selling single of 1981.

Dah diddley f ucking qua qua.

I never liked the track either mate, but the book is mindblowing.

Blitz club, rusty Egan, Steve Strange , Detroit Techno, New wave, Qualuudes.. its all there!

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:09 - Dec 9 with 2265 viewsqprxtc

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:07 - Dec 9 by Discodroids

I never liked the track either mate, but the book is mindblowing.

Blitz club, rusty Egan, Steve Strange , Detroit Techno, New wave, Qualuudes.. its all there!

Sold.

And

Souled
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:09 - Dec 9 with 2262 viewsdistortR

the 'Master and Commander' series,just so good for so many reasons.
Also, 'The grapes of wrath', a polemic, brilliant writing that moves and angers me.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:14 - Dec 9 with 2252 viewsA40Bosh

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:07 - Dec 9 by BlackCrowe

A Good Man In Africa (still the funniest book i've read)
Lord Of The Rings
The Magus
Charlie And the Chocolate Factory
Five On A Treasure Island
Jaws (Chapter Eight sex scene, aged 9 or something)

Jaws Sex scene
Was that the one where it starts off where she is listening to the sound of him next door in the bathroom having a piss and her getting turned on by the power of his urination?

Or was that some other niche material I must have been reading 🤪

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:15 - Dec 9 with 2249 viewsMrSheen

Plenty of opportunities to do this recently. The last one, finished last week, was The Crouching Beast, by Frank Boccia, about his service in the Airborne in Vietnam, including at Hamburger Hill. I can’t help imagining how I would have coped (answer, not well).
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:15 - Dec 9 with 2246 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Honestly, I re-read all of my favorites as my memory is joyously bad, allowing me to savour them over and over again.

These are my very favourites:

'East of Eden', 'Cannery Row' and 'Sweet Thursday, 'Grapes of Wrath' and 'Tortilla Flat' - by Steinbeck.
Absolutely everything that Frank O'Connor wrote. I'd read his shopping list if anyone has it.

Biographies

'Team of Rivals' on Lincoln by Dorothy Kearns Goodwin
'Gandhi' by Louis Fischer
'Ali' by Thomas Hauser
'Christy Ring' by Val Dorgan

Autobiographies

Milligan's War Diaries
All of Clive James's

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:17 - Dec 9 with 2229 viewsTonto

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galxy. All 4 parts of the trilogy.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:19 - Dec 9 with 2223 viewshantssi

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 20:52 - Dec 9 by ted_hendrix

Blimey, not heard that name for nigh on 40 years, LOVED his books, had them all, read them all loads of times!
War without the sugar coating.
Enjoy all Bill Bryson books and oddly enough Ruby Wax books on mental health are worth a read.
Also been reading Andrew Marr books on the history of Britain.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 21:23]
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:25 - Dec 9 with 2193 viewshantssi

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:15 - Dec 9 by BrianMcCarthy

Honestly, I re-read all of my favorites as my memory is joyously bad, allowing me to savour them over and over again.

These are my very favourites:

'East of Eden', 'Cannery Row' and 'Sweet Thursday, 'Grapes of Wrath' and 'Tortilla Flat' - by Steinbeck.
Absolutely everything that Frank O'Connor wrote. I'd read his shopping list if anyone has it.

Biographies

'Team of Rivals' on Lincoln by Dorothy Kearns Goodwin
'Gandhi' by Louis Fischer
'Ali' by Thomas Hauser
'Christy Ring' by Val Dorgan

Autobiographies

Milligan's War Diaries
All of Clive James's

Brian, loved the Milligan war diaries, still got them.
Did you read Puckoon, I believe it was his first (and only?) novel?
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:31 - Dec 9 with 2182 viewsMickS

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:25 - Dec 9 by hantssi

Another one here for the Milligan diary books.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:36 - Dec 9 with 2165 viewsqprxtc

Spike Milligan was truly a genius. Rommel?, Gunner Who? . I have to read that again.

When someone can use words to the effect he does is exemplary.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:41 - Dec 9 with 2155 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:25 - Dec 9 by hantssi

Hated Puckoon, hantssi - I thought it was cod-Oirish Paddywhackery.

I'm sure it was well-intentioned but as a teenager I struggled to finish it.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:42 - Dec 9 with 2153 viewsMrSheen

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 20:52 - Dec 9 by ted_hendrix

My pre-teen favourite was Britain’s own brand version, Leo Kessler. According to Wiki, the author was a history professor called Charles Whiting, who wrote 350 books under nearly 350 pseudonyms.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:48 - Dec 9 with 2144 viewsthemodfather

dune by frank herbert
most tom sharpe, but wilt and porterhouse blue, riotous assembly are very funny.
oddly enough re-reading "stand up virgin soldiers" , wasn't the writer a qpr fan?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024