Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. 20:28 - Dec 9 with 6562 viewsqprxtc

Only Catch 22 for me.

I read it every five years or so. Gets better every time. I haven’t read a book better so far.

Although, The Dice Man (only read once) is the only book, so far, that has repulsed me, made me cry with laughter and surprised me in one read. It ends perfectly too. I’m kind of scared to read it again though.

But I haven’t read a fiction book on over ten years. Now it’s just history books or music books.

Books are good. Reading is the way to go.

Reading Ray Davies “Autobiography” at the moment.

And drinking a bottle of Southern Comfort.

Great film with Powers Boothe.

I’m rambling.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:53 - Dec 9 with 1215 viewsted_hendrix

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:41 - Dec 9 by BrianMcCarthy

Hated Puckoon, hantssi - I thought it was cod-Oirish Paddywhackery.

I'm sure it was well-intentioned but as a teenager I struggled to finish it.

As a huge Milligan fan Puckoon was unfortunately bloody dreadful.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:57 - Dec 9 with 1204 viewsqprxtc

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:53 - Dec 9 by ted_hendrix

As a huge Milligan fan Puckoon was unfortunately bloody dreadful.

Every genius has an arsehole.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:58 - Dec 9 with 1201 viewsOldPedro

Atkinson For England - always makes me laugh :-)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atkinson-England-mistaken-identity-national/dp/19017461

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 22:00 - Dec 9 with 1194 viewsjoe90

Albert Camus - The Outsider

I've read it many times and use to think about it a lot, but feel I've grown out of it. I've also read Exile and the Kingdom (also Camus) a few times and enjoyed it more the second time.

There are plenty of books I want to read again like - James Joyce, A Portrait Of An Artist As A Young Man, but there are also so many books I haven't read yet.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 22:03 - Dec 9 with 1188 viewsted_hendrix

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:19 - Dec 9 by hantssi

Blimey, not heard that name for nigh on 40 years, LOVED his books, had them all, read them all loads of times!
War without the sugar coating.
Enjoy all Bill Bryson books and oddly enough Ruby Wax books on mental health are worth a read.
Also been reading Andrew Marr books on the history of Britain.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 21:23]

Incredible writing and they had that knack of making you understand the horrors' and stupidity of war.

As the the Legionnaire said many times “Come death, come”.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 22:13 - Dec 9 with 1174 viewsozexile

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 20:32 - Dec 9 by HantsR

Catch 22 and Dice man? Me too for same reasons as yours My other favourites were anything by John Steinbeck, Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden ...

Grapes of Wrath is a book I have read twice. And will read again next year. phenomenal
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 22:18 - Dec 9 with 1162 viewsqprxtc

When QPRSteve wakes up this thread will be dead.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 22:34 - Dec 9 with 1141 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 22:00 - Dec 9 by joe90

I've read it many times and use to think about it a lot, but feel I've grown out of it. I've also read Exile and the Kingdom (also Camus) a few times and enjoyed it more the second time.

There are plenty of books I want to read again like - James Joyce, A Portrait Of An Artist As A Young Man, but there are also so many books I haven't read yet.

'The Outsider' and 'Portrait' are two great books.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 22:44 - Dec 9 with 1124 viewsqprxtc

When you think about it, there ain’t half been a lot of books written.

Even more not wrote.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 22:49 - Dec 9 with 1117 viewsMrSheen

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 22:00 - Dec 9 by joe90

I first read The Outsider when I was about 16 and refused to go to mass again. I was a Camus obsessive for a few years, even went to Paris for a week, visiting places in his biography and smoking Galoises. Never dared go to Oran, though. The only thing that survived was a love of black pudding, and an insistence on playing in goal.

Talking of Algerie francaise, I’ve gone through the Alistair Horne histories, ending with A Bloody War of Peace about Algerian independence, a few times.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 23:00]
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 23:08 - Dec 9 with 1099 viewslightwaterhoop

Great to see John Steinbeck mentioned, in my view the greatest american writer of the last century. The best British writer in that period a little dated now was Graham Greene. So its East of Eden and the Power and the Glory for me.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 23:18 - Dec 9 with 1078 viewsQPRSteve

I'm awake now Liam.

The Magus - John Fowles. Read it three times and am now listening to an audio version.
Lord of the Rings
His Dark Materials
Rendezvous with Rama
Peter Lovesey's Peter Diamond series
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 23:28 - Dec 9 with 1067 viewsPeterHucker

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 20:49 - Dec 9 by qprxtc

I absolutely f ucking hated Tainted Love by Soft Cell at the time and still can’t listen to it, it’s wimpy, synthy nonsense that led to a ton of shite.

Marc Almond on his own I really like. He has, In my opinion, great taste in music ans made some cracking covers and original songs. Interesting bloke too.

But Tainted Love is fu cking shit. Stopped Stand and Deliver being the best selling single of 1981.

Dah diddley f ucking qua qua.

As an obsessive Adam & The Ants fan in my youth, I have to correct you and let you know that the lyric as printed on the inlay card of the Prince Charming cassette is "ta diddly quop quop"

Tainted Love is alright but Bedsitter is my favourite.

I've re-read some Philip K Dick novels several times. Particularly Ubik, The Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldritch and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Only other one I can think of that I've read a lot is Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 23:49 - Dec 9 with 1049 viewsSK_hoops

Catcher in the rye is the only book I've read more than once off the top of my head.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 23:49]
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 23:55 - Dec 9 with 1040 viewsstowmarketrange

Most books I read have to be read again as my memory is terrible.Plus the fact that I fall asleep when I’m reading them means that a lot of pages get read multiple times.
I prefer historical nonfiction books,so at least I don’t have to remember a storyline.

Bury my heart at wounded knee is due another read soon,but it gets a bit repetitive how the native Americans were shafted time after time.Another is a book I bought from the library about operation Barbarossa and what an awful struggle it was that took its toll on both sides.
I don’t think I could even think about fighting in minus temperatures day after day while virtually starving to death too.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. (n/t) on 23:55 - Dec 9 with 1038 viewsCiderwithRsie

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. (n/t) on 21:04 - Dec 9 by A40Bosh

We had to do My Family and Other Animals but i think we did it earlier than O Level year, don't remember to much about it to be honest.

The Dice Man was one of those books that left me with a really weird feeling and wishing I had never read it after I finished it.

When life has been really stressful during the last 20 years for one reason or another I have buried myself a number of times in The Fellowship of the Rings. There is an gentle innocence in the opening book that allows me to escape to a world without mental health issues, chronic fatigue, alcoholism and the other family daily challenges - well that was until I found Golf during lockdown v1 - no time for reading now - other than the lie of the ball.

Too many to say is my answer to the OP

But funny you say that about Fellowship of The Ring. I'm not really convinced LoTR is a great book but I thought so as a kid and for various reasons I've read it once in every decade of my life and it's got to the point where I have to keep doing that just to see how I've changed since last time. But it's that first book - especially "Book 1" of The Fellowship - that has a nostalgic pull for me. The rest is all just a sequel to that for me now, the themes are all there.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 00:05 - Dec 10 with 1028 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Cider With Rosie

What’s your favourite book?
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 00:11 - Dec 10 with 1022 viewsnix

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
The Moon's a Balloon by David Niven
Love's Executioner by Irvin Yallom
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

I can't read a lot of great literature as it's just too bleak for me, but kudos to all of you that have read these books twice. I just need a bit of redemption amongst the tragedy.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 00:37 - Dec 10 with 1008 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 00:11 - Dec 10 by nix

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
The Moon's a Balloon by David Niven
Love's Executioner by Irvin Yallom
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

I can't read a lot of great literature as it's just too bleak for me, but kudos to all of you that have read these books twice. I just need a bit of redemption amongst the tragedy.

Unfortunate requirement for a QPR fan.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 00:46 - Dec 10 with 1002 viewsMyke

Read many books several times, but none more so than Catch 22. A huge Stephen King fan, but still can't read 'Christine' fully sober as it scares the sh1t out of me. During our first lockdown was re-reading some old classics like Great Expectations that I hadn't read since childhood
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 01:02 - Dec 10 with 984 viewsLythamR

Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee
To Kill A Mockingbird
Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 04:47 - Dec 10 with 951 viewsKiwi76

All Played Out - Italia 90 by Pete Davies - still have my original paperback but barely holding together as been lent out a lot as well.
Re- read Animal Farm as one of kids had as school assignment.
Few authors I’ve read every book like James Lee Burke but not gone round again & he’s written plenty.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 07:16 - Dec 10 with 924 viewsessextaxiboy

The Water Road by Paul Gogarty ...... a 4 month solo canal journey around England .
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 07:32 - Dec 10 with 915 viewsdistortR

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 23:49 - Dec 9 by SK_hoops

Catcher in the rye is the only book I've read more than once off the top of my head.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 23:49]

that's some skill.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 07:43 - Dec 10 with 907 viewsE17hoop

Fiction wise, only The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks.

Non-fiction - there are loads and include:
Dangerous Ideas: When Provocative Thinking Is Your Most Valuable Asset - Alf Rehn
Diffusion of Innovations - Everett M. Rogers
Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns - Clayton M. Christensen
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running - Haruki Murakami
Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion - Robert B. Cialdini

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024