Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We Always Were The Irish Club in London 23:23 - Mar 17 with 7133 viewsBrianMcCarthy

With thanks to the excellent Jack Supple.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 13:00 - Mar 18 with 2107 viewsKonk

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 12:52 - Mar 18 by BrianMcCarthy

That's very well written. Thanks for posting.

Chelsea in the Top Ten, though? Hmmm...

Roddy Doyle and Dermot Morgan - two great Irishman, but fuc king hell, lads. Chelsea?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 13:29 - Mar 18 with 2059 viewsizlingtonhoop

You're welcome.

I found it about a year ago for a Dub friend, whose family, and by all accounts, all of Rathfarnham, are Liverpool mad. They were labouring under the misapprehension that Liverpool are the most Irish Football League Club.

No, no, no says I, Arsenal are more Irish than Liverpool, due, as the article says, to the high-Hibernian population of Camden and Holloway. And of course Man United... Was very happy to see us in there. We might even be the most Irish, proportionally...
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 13:49 - Mar 18 with 2032 viewsParkRoyalR

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 13:00 - Mar 18 by Konk

Roddy Doyle and Dermot Morgan - two great Irishman, but fuc king hell, lads. Chelsea?

Not surprising given so many young lads in their formative football years (age 4 to 8 imo), who's family had no local team or allegiances, would pick their team on FA Cup Final Day, as was only live club game in early 70's I believe.

Hence why going to school in West London, there were so many Leeds fans who are now in their mid-50's, likewise Chelsea.

Quite a few of the older Irish guys locally followed Fulham, which might be down to large Irish community in Hammersmith and Fulham, or maybe likes of Gerry Lawlor playing for the Whites when they would have been first attending games in the late 60's / early 70's?
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 13:52 - Mar 18 with 2020 viewsBoston

Would West Ham be the Greek team of London?

I’m forever blowing...

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 14:15 - Mar 18 with 1989 viewsBlameMcLintock

Jose O'Rinho?
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 14:17 - Mar 18 with 1984 viewsMrSheen

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 10:37 - Mar 18 by Konk

I would have thought it had to be between you and Arsenal. Hammersmith, the Bush, Acton, Kilburn, Willesden, Cricklewood, Harlesden etc all big Irish areas in the past. As for Arsenal - tons of Irish in Islington, Camden and Hackney, as well as all those Irish players in the 70's/80's. Quite a lot of Irish in Edmonton, Tottenham and the Lea Valley too owing to all the manufacturing jobs that used to be there in the 60's-70's. I know quite a few Spurs fans from Irish families. I hadn't really thought of South-East London having a lot of Irish folk, but I've worked with a fair few 2nd generation Irish from Deptford/New Cross/Bermondsey too.

One of my cousins married into a die-hard Spurs Mayo family, her husband grew up a about a mile from the ground.

I see more Villa shirts in Ireland than I ever do in London, and plenty of Leeds too, though the latter more due to prehistoric glory-hunting rather than location. Almost never see Celtic, but I am almost always down south. Like anywhere, under 10s are more likely to be wearing Barcelona than any English club. I don't think I have ever seen a League of Ireland shirt!
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 14:19 - Mar 18 with 1974 viewsMrSheen

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 13:49 - Mar 18 by ParkRoyalR

Not surprising given so many young lads in their formative football years (age 4 to 8 imo), who's family had no local team or allegiances, would pick their team on FA Cup Final Day, as was only live club game in early 70's I believe.

Hence why going to school in West London, there were so many Leeds fans who are now in their mid-50's, likewise Chelsea.

Quite a few of the older Irish guys locally followed Fulham, which might be down to large Irish community in Hammersmith and Fulham, or maybe likes of Gerry Lawlor playing for the Whites when they would have been first attending games in the late 60's / early 70's?

Jimmy Conway? 75 Cup Final team.
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 14:22 - Mar 18 with 1964 viewsMrSheen

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 13:00 - Mar 18 by Konk

Forget his name now, but the guy who owns Powerday demolition and waste, and London Irish Rugby, is a big Chelsea fan, was part of the pitch owners scheme there and a thorn in Ken Bates' side.
Login to get fewer ads

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 14:22 - Mar 18 with 1964 viewsBrianMcCarthy

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 14:17 - Mar 18 by MrSheen

One of my cousins married into a die-hard Spurs Mayo family, her husband grew up a about a mile from the ground.

I see more Villa shirts in Ireland than I ever do in London, and plenty of Leeds too, though the latter more due to prehistoric glory-hunting rather than location. Almost never see Celtic, but I am almost always down south. Like anywhere, under 10s are more likely to be wearing Barcelona than any English club. I don't think I have ever seen a League of Ireland shirt!

I don't understand the lack of support for the League of Ireland. It's different for me as I was born in London and Rangers were my first love, but I don't understand how someone from Cork can support Man U over Cork City. I just don't get it. I mean, wouldn't you be embarrassed with yourself?

As for Irish people supporting Chelsea, well I can never let that go. I always ask them straight out "you know they hate you because you're Irish, don't you?"

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 14:47 - Mar 18 with 1929 viewsMrSheen

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 14:22 - Mar 18 by BrianMcCarthy

I don't understand the lack of support for the League of Ireland. It's different for me as I was born in London and Rangers were my first love, but I don't understand how someone from Cork can support Man U over Cork City. I just don't get it. I mean, wouldn't you be embarrassed with yourself?

As for Irish people supporting Chelsea, well I can never let that go. I always ask them straight out "you know they hate you because you're Irish, don't you?"

Not a problem if you never go there. Though the famous Nazi saluting Dad was called Paschal Quigley.
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 15:01 - Mar 18 with 1911 viewsBrianMcCarthy

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 14:47 - Mar 18 by MrSheen

Not a problem if you never go there. Though the famous Nazi saluting Dad was called Paschal Quigley.

I think that a couple of their Combat 18 fans also had Irish names.

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 15:21 - Mar 18 with 1884 viewsBklynRanger

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 14:22 - Mar 18 by BrianMcCarthy

Speaking for the Irish League I don't think you'd be embarrassed because there are lots of people in exactly the same position. Growing up I should've been a Crusaders supporter geography-wise but the appeal was almost zero.

It would have been different I'm sure if I'd gone to a few games with a friend or family member, but without that personal connection the quality of the football was too much of a turn off.

I had a friend at school who was a big Glentoran supporter. Remember sitting round his house with a few of us and he'd stick on Great Goals of the Glens - 50 goalmouth scrambles set to music. Cue waves of derision from Man U, Liverpool, Villa, and one QPR...

There are obviously good reasons to support your local team, no doubt about it, and I do know people who've taken it up and loved it as they got older, but careful with that moral high ground sir - can get slippery up there. :)
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 15:25 - Mar 18 with 1875 viewsBrianMcCarthy

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 15:21 - Mar 18 by BklynRanger

Speaking for the Irish League I don't think you'd be embarrassed because there are lots of people in exactly the same position. Growing up I should've been a Crusaders supporter geography-wise but the appeal was almost zero.

It would have been different I'm sure if I'd gone to a few games with a friend or family member, but without that personal connection the quality of the football was too much of a turn off.

I had a friend at school who was a big Glentoran supporter. Remember sitting round his house with a few of us and he'd stick on Great Goals of the Glens - 50 goalmouth scrambles set to music. Cue waves of derision from Man U, Liverpool, Villa, and one QPR...

There are obviously good reasons to support your local team, no doubt about it, and I do know people who've taken it up and loved it as they got older, but careful with that moral high ground sir - can get slippery up there. :)

"There are obviously good reasons to support your local team, no doubt about it, and I do know people who've taken it up and loved it as they got older, but careful with that moral high ground sir - can get slippery up there. :)"

Very fair, as ever, Bklyn. And you're right

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 15:50 - Mar 18 with 1845 viewsMyke

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 00:07 - Mar 18 by Boston

From the expat community know nuffink chatter group...I'm told that Rangers, yes our Rangers, are the fifth most followed club in the Irish Republic. I kinda think, from first hand experience, that that is pretty close to the mark.

There is a good few of us knocking around all right, more than you might expect. Unfortunately, much like here, the majority seem to be of a certain vintage!
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 15:54 - Mar 18 with 1841 viewsQPRSteve

"As for Irish people supporting Chelsea, well I can never let that go. I always ask them straight out "you know they hate you because you're Irish, don't you?""

I fail to understand how any human being could support that lot.
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 15:57 - Mar 18 with 1830 viewsA40Bosh

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 23:56 - Mar 17 by BrianMcCarthy

Lovely stuff, Ted. And, of course, I get your point.

My post was tongue in cheek of course.

I'm English-born, and Irish by descent (I fell from the top of Blarney Castle). But I love that Rangers are a mixture of everything. Before Arsenal had that 70's Irish team, it was Rangers who were the team that Irish immigrants went to, and I'm happy about that. It stirs something in me.

Dad came over from Kilkenny in 1961 (aged 16 and 3 weeks as he often reminds his grandchildren) and moved in to a bedsit in Harlesden with a couple of his brothers who were already working over here. With Loftus Road on the door step it was a natural progression to then start going to see his first live football and then start following QPR for life. Some of his brothers who went home and did not join the diaspora permanently stayed supporting QPR, whilst his brother somehow managed to drift off to Spuds once he had boys of his own in the 1980s.

Mum came over from Kerry at aged 6 and lived on the White City Estate but she seems to remember that one of her brothers supported Fulham growing up (which makes sense as his son is a mad Fulham fan) and her other brother, well, we won't go there.

As others have said it wasn't just County Kilburn that was the home of the Irish, large parts of West London were too for 30 - 40 years. As my dad says, the London Irish spread as far as it was possible to walk with a suitcase after stepping off of the boat train from Fishguard at Paddington Station!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 16:55 - Mar 18 with 1801 viewshovehoop

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 15:57 - Mar 18 by A40Bosh

Dad came over from Kilkenny in 1961 (aged 16 and 3 weeks as he often reminds his grandchildren) and moved in to a bedsit in Harlesden with a couple of his brothers who were already working over here. With Loftus Road on the door step it was a natural progression to then start going to see his first live football and then start following QPR for life. Some of his brothers who went home and did not join the diaspora permanently stayed supporting QPR, whilst his brother somehow managed to drift off to Spuds once he had boys of his own in the 1980s.

Mum came over from Kerry at aged 6 and lived on the White City Estate but she seems to remember that one of her brothers supported Fulham growing up (which makes sense as his son is a mad Fulham fan) and her other brother, well, we won't go there.

As others have said it wasn't just County Kilburn that was the home of the Irish, large parts of West London were too for 30 - 40 years. As my dad says, the London Irish spread as far as it was possible to walk with a suitcase after stepping off of the boat train from Fishguard at Paddington Station!

'As my dad says, the London Irish spread as far as it was possible to walk with a suitcase after stepping off of the boat train from Fishguard at Paddington Station!'

Love that expression and entirely makes sense. Probably true for the Holyhead/Euston option too!

My dad left Letterkenny at 15 or 16 but spent time in Scotland and up north before landing in London.
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 17:22 - Mar 18 with 1780 viewsizlingtonhoop

My paternal grandfather was an Irish lad by parentage, tho born in St Charles' hospital and grew up in the square.

He was nominally R's. I actually went once with him. I say nominally, and I don't think he was much bothered. Others in his family were tho. And are. Obviously.

My nan's side are extremely English, she grew up in hounslow...

Yeh. You guessed it...
🙄
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 17:27]
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 18:09 - Mar 18 with 1722 viewsqpr_1968

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 12:45 - Mar 18 by izlingtonhoop

https://www.irishpost.com/sport/englands-top-ten-irish-football-teams-22781

always thought phil lynott was qpr.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 19:06 - Mar 18 with 1681 viewsBoston

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 14:22 - Mar 18 by MrSheen

Forget his name now, but the guy who owns Powerday demolition and waste, and London Irish Rugby, is a big Chelsea fan, was part of the pitch owners scheme there and a thorn in Ken Bates' side.

The Crossan family, yet another(and there were droves of 'em), Wembley Irish, Chelsea supporting bunch a chunts. But, though I wasn't keen on Mick junior, they were actually ok. You'll be pleased to know that QPR man John 'the horse' Higgins, once went around his house around 7 in the morning and knocked the bollocks out of him. Crossan snr, has a box at Stamford Bridge, is the main sponsor of London Irish and might be the owner of Enfield Town FC. Some lads I was pally with work for them and as far as I'm aware they're pretty decent with charities, pumped a lot into Grenfells boxing club, ex offenders employment etc etc.

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 19:09 - Mar 18 with 1678 viewsizlingtonhoop

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 18:09 - Mar 18 by qpr_1968

Brummagem born.

So maybe Villa...

Oh, wait, article actually says United

Pardon moi
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 19:13]
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 19:09 - Mar 18 with 1678 viewsBklynRanger

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 15:25 - Mar 18 by BrianMcCarthy

"There are obviously good reasons to support your local team, no doubt about it, and I do know people who've taken it up and loved it as they got older, but careful with that moral high ground sir - can get slippery up there. :)"

Very fair, as ever, Bklyn. And you're right

You're not going to hunt me down and kill me though are you Brian? Are you really this reasonable?

Is there any way we can put this to rights somehow? I have a hiatus hernia.
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 19:10 - Mar 18 with 1675 viewsBrianMcCarthy

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 19:09 - Mar 18 by BklynRanger

You're not going to hunt me down and kill me though are you Brian? Are you really this reasonable?

Is there any way we can put this to rights somehow? I have a hiatus hernia.

You never hear the bullet with your name on it!

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 19:12 - Mar 18 with 1669 viewsBoston

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 18:09 - Mar 18 by qpr_1968

His snooker playing chum can give the definitive answer, Steve, STEVE!

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 20:28 - Mar 18 with 1604 viewsCamberleyR

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 14:19 - Mar 18 by MrSheen

Jimmy Conway? 75 Cup Final team.

Useless fact #376

Jimmy Conway was the only non-English representative amongst the 24 players and 2 managers in the 1975 FA Cup Final.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024