Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We Always Were The Irish Club in London 23:23 - Mar 17 with 7136 viewsBrianMcCarthy

With thanks to the excellent Jack Supple.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 20:31 - Mar 18 with 1103 viewsMrSheen

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 19:06 - Mar 18 by Boston

The Crossan family, yet another(and there were droves of 'em), Wembley Irish, Chelsea supporting bunch a chunts. But, though I wasn't keen on Mick junior, they were actually ok. You'll be pleased to know that QPR man John 'the horse' Higgins, once went around his house around 7 in the morning and knocked the bollocks out of him. Crossan snr, has a box at Stamford Bridge, is the main sponsor of London Irish and might be the owner of Enfield Town FC. Some lads I was pally with work for them and as far as I'm aware they're pretty decent with charities, pumped a lot into Grenfells boxing club, ex offenders employment etc etc.

My dad was great friends with a Patsy Crossan from Leitrim, lived off Cricklewood Lane. Have to admit he only looked like he owned one suit and a trowel. Played a lot of 25 together, lots of turkeys at Christmas.
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 20:32 - Mar 18 with 1103 viewsMrSheen

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 20:28 - Mar 18 by CamberleyR

Useless fact #376

Jimmy Conway was the only non-English representative amongst the 24 players and 2 managers in the 1975 FA Cup Final.

Wow, the past is another country.
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 21:05 - Mar 18 with 1080 viewsDannyPaddox

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 20:28 - Mar 18 by CamberleyR

Useless fact #376

Jimmy Conway was the only non-English representative amongst the 24 players and 2 managers in the 1975 FA Cup Final.

The only thing continental was Pat Holland’s surname.
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 21:10 - Mar 18 with 1072 viewsgolborne

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 00:02 - Mar 18 by Boston

Hate to say this Brian but..one of Chelsea's solid firms was Kilburn.

Wasn’t that more Edgware Rd? They were all Chelsea and only a mile or so further along from Kilburn high rd.
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 21:23 - Mar 18 with 1051 viewsBoston

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 21:10 - Mar 18 by golborne

Wasn’t that more Edgware Rd? They were all Chelsea and only a mile or so further along from Kilburn high rd.

Edgware Rd were overwhelmingly Chelsea...but Kilburn and environs, though not a Stockwell or Battersea, were right up there. As I've oft mentioned, Wembley / Stonebridge Park had impressive numbers in the 70's, though Stonebridge also had a decent Rangers contingent.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 21:24]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 21:55 - Mar 18 with 1016 viewsted_hendrix

Twice in the same year at separate gigs I heard Ronnie Drew introduce the next song by saying "Irelands biggest export is people"

So,

Name that song.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 22:32 - Mar 18 with 973 viewsMrSheen

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 21:55 - Mar 18 by ted_hendrix

Twice in the same year at separate gigs I heard Ronnie Drew introduce the next song by saying "Irelands biggest export is people"

So,

Name that song.

McAlpine’s Fusiliers?
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 22:42 - Mar 18 with 960 viewsMyke

Really enjoying this discussion. My London geography is virtually nil. My Cousin from North Finchley is a die-hard Chelsea fan and to be fair has been for the past 45 years, funnily enough I never actually asked him why. He was highly bemused why a lad from the remote west of Ireland would support QPR.
With regard to the League of Ireland Brian, it's desperately marketed. And RTE have pulled the plug again on the Monday night soccer programme, so another revenue source gone. I was surprised you were not more au fait with the Cork City / Preston 'take-over' given your overall football knowledge.
But it is not the national sport and we have to acknowledge that, Thousands of kids wearing the county gaa and hurling colours.
Here in Sligo, soccer is king, mainly due to a shite gaa team, but as a trainer it is a constant battle to get lads to play soccer when it clashes with gaelic or hurling training.
We had one local hero here - Rafael Cretario - who despite his name was born and bred in Tubbercurry and 'Raf' got hundreds of local kids wearing Sligo Rover's shirts and going to matches. Sadly, he has retired now, so would imagine the interest will wane
Login to get fewer ads

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 22:55 - Mar 18 with 948 viewsted_hendrix

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 22:32 - Mar 18 by MrSheen

McAlpine’s Fusiliers?

You win Mr Sheen.

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 22:57 - Mar 18 with 944 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Anyone come across the little Irish landlady in the Conningham?
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 23:00 - Mar 18 with 933 viewsBrianMcCarthy

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 22:42 - Mar 18 by Myke

Really enjoying this discussion. My London geography is virtually nil. My Cousin from North Finchley is a die-hard Chelsea fan and to be fair has been for the past 45 years, funnily enough I never actually asked him why. He was highly bemused why a lad from the remote west of Ireland would support QPR.
With regard to the League of Ireland Brian, it's desperately marketed. And RTE have pulled the plug again on the Monday night soccer programme, so another revenue source gone. I was surprised you were not more au fait with the Cork City / Preston 'take-over' given your overall football knowledge.
But it is not the national sport and we have to acknowledge that, Thousands of kids wearing the county gaa and hurling colours.
Here in Sligo, soccer is king, mainly due to a shite gaa team, but as a trainer it is a constant battle to get lads to play soccer when it clashes with gaelic or hurling training.
We had one local hero here - Rafael Cretario - who despite his name was born and bred in Tubbercurry and 'Raf' got hundreds of local kids wearing Sligo Rover's shirts and going to matches. Sadly, he has retired now, so would imagine the interest will wane

I'll be honest, Myke - I really only follow Rangers. I'd like to see Cork City more and even go and watch them more but Friday night is nearly always taken up with GAA training. So I'm fairly clueless when it comes to City, which is a shame.

Best of luck to the Bit o' Red!

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 23:04 - Mar 18 with 929 viewsMrSheen

It’s a bit like Australia. You can watch the pinnacle of a sport that really isn’t played anywhere else, or a league that is in the top 140 in the world (but not the top 100). By the way, please don’t look at better versions on different channels.

It would have bothered me once, but now I’m thrilled there are other games to watch that don’t come out of the same sausage machine. If Rangers aren’t playing, I’d much rather watch Hurling or League these days, more skill and excitement, less hype and histrionics.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 23:05]
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 23:08 - Mar 18 with 924 viewsMrSheen

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 22:55 - Mar 18 by ted_hendrix

You win Mr Sheen.

You must have come across the Murphy brothers, Ted. They’re from where I go in Kerry and are considered local philanthropists, which I’m sure is true, but my family experience of them is completely different! Makes me laugh when I read the plaques in their honour in Cahersiveen.
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 23:34 - Mar 18 with 896 viewsCLAREMAN1995

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 23:44 - Mar 17 by ted_hendrix

Can't argue with them there facts Brian but my good mate on the buildings back in the Seventy's was born and raised in County Clare and absolutely Millwall through and through, We'd meet outside LR or Cold Blow Lane have a couple of swift pints go in our respective 'ends' meet up afterwards get pissed rotten and go home to our respective wives and get a bollocking.
The results back then somehow never seemed to matter that much.
Paddy went 'home' years ago.
Halcyon Days.

The shame of a fellow Clare man following Millwall its hard to take Ted I hope you eventually dragged him back to the good side
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 23:43 - Mar 18 with 885 viewsCLAREMAN1995

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 12:45 - Mar 18 by izlingtonhoop

https://www.irishpost.com/sport/englands-top-ten-irish-football-teams-22781

Everybody loves Macca RIP a true club legend and gentleman but its hard to put him ahead of Don Givens IMO who brought me to this club back in 76/77 through his exploits for Ireland.Both excellent choices as well as Waddock,Byrne,Robinson etc.
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 08:32 - Mar 19 with 781 viewsMrSheen

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 23:34 - Mar 18 by CLAREMAN1995

The shame of a fellow Clare man following Millwall its hard to take Ted I hope you eventually dragged him back to the good side

A god-forsaken barren wasteland, with only seagulls for company? Can't understand why that would appeal to any Clare man.
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 08:35 - Mar 19 with 776 viewsBrianMcCarthy

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 23:08 - Mar 18 by MrSheen

You must have come across the Murphy brothers, Ted. They’re from where I go in Kerry and are considered local philanthropists, which I’m sure is true, but my family experience of them is completely different! Makes me laugh when I read the plaques in their honour in Cahersiveen.

I did my apprenticeship with John Murphy's company. I got on with him alright but he was a tough, tough man.

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 10:08 - Mar 19 with 729 viewsKonk

In Birmingham, lots of Blues fans seem to have Irish heritage. Digbeth was massively Irish, and very close to St Andrew’s, and lots of Blues areas in the city like Longbridge, had a lot of Irish move there because of the manufacturing jobs.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 10:12 - Mar 19 with 728 viewsMrSheen

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 10:08 - Mar 19 by Konk

In Birmingham, lots of Blues fans seem to have Irish heritage. Digbeth was massively Irish, and very close to St Andrew’s, and lots of Blues areas in the city like Longbridge, had a lot of Irish move there because of the manufacturing jobs.

My mother's cousins are Blues, but Villa are much more in evidence in Ireland.
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 11:06 - Mar 19 with 700 viewsPaddyhoops

Sligo Rovers are a brilliant football club.
My brother I would travel from Roscommon back in the eighties on a dreadful winding road to watch the bit o red!!
Usually freezing at the showgrounds but saw them in some famous games including the Red star Belgrade, European Cup game and the famous win against Bohemians in the Cup final. Great people, great times!!
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 11:54 - Mar 19 with 680 viewsted_hendrix

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 23:08 - Mar 18 by MrSheen

Murphy Brothers = Green vans.

McNicholas Family -= Green vans.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024