Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Prince Philip 12:23 - Apr 9 with 14591 viewsGloucs_R

🇬🇧

Poll: Are we staying up?

RIP Prince Philip on 20:04 - Apr 9 with 2307 viewsNed_Kennedys

RIP Prince Philip on 19:37 - Apr 9 by Paddyhoops

I live in Australia now😁

Just read that reggae legend Trinity has died as well: what a day 😔

RIP Prince Philip on 20:50 - Apr 9 with 2166 viewsClive_Anderson

Worked until he was 96 doing his duty for the country, at least he got a few years retirement.

RIP Phil.
RIP Prince Philip on 20:52 - Apr 9 with 2192 viewsngbqpr

RIP Prince Philip on 19:05 - Apr 9 by daveB

It's due to both being public service broadcasters so when a major royal dies we switch to rolling news. Been a fun day at work re doing the entire weekend schedules on my day off

Have a look at the stick Channel 4 are getting for returning to normal programming to see why BBC and iTV made that choice
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 19:22]

dave, think I'm right in saying you're ITV - but do you know why BOTH main Beeb channels have to do it, and ALL their radio stations have to play suitably sombre music?

Though a staunch republican myself, I get why BBC1 & ITV1 are doing it, but the whole BBC is so over the top.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

RIP Prince Philip on 21:18 - Apr 9 with 2128 viewsGloucs_R

RIP Prince Philip on 20:52 - Apr 9 by ngbqpr

dave, think I'm right in saying you're ITV - but do you know why BOTH main Beeb channels have to do it, and ALL their radio stations have to play suitably sombre music?

Though a staunch republican myself, I get why BBC1 & ITV1 are doing it, but the whole BBC is so over the top.

Even I think the coverage has been ott.

RIP Prince Philip on 21:21 - Apr 9 with 2111 viewsQPR_John

RIP Prince Philip on 21:18 - Apr 9 by Gloucs_R

BBC1 and BBC2 are currently both showing the same program
RIP Prince Philip on 21:23 - Apr 9 with 2107 viewsRanger_Things

RIP Prince Philip on 21:18 - Apr 9 by Gloucs_R

Not enough flags?
RIP Prince Philip on 21:33 - Apr 9 with 2079 viewskarl

RIP Prince Philip on 21:21 - Apr 9 by QPR_John

BBC1 and BBC2 are currently both showing the same program

BBC Scotland channel (the separate channel not the Scottish version of BBC1) doing a Scottish edition and ALBA in Gaelic for good measure!
RIP Prince Philip on 22:01 - Apr 9 with 2006 viewsDannyPaddox

RIP Prince Philip on 19:13 - Apr 9 by W6R

What an idiotic comment, you should be ashamed of yourself.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 19:14]

Wa-hey serf’s up!
Login to get fewer ads

RIP Prince Philip on 22:30 - Apr 9 with 1942 viewsflynnbo

Looking for some distraction from all this so decided to watch The Old Grey Whistle Test on BBC 4 now that channel has paused its programmes! Getting like the Russians when a President dies. So that's BBC 1, BBC Parliament, BBC 2. BBC News channel and now BBC 4.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 22:36]
RIP Prince Philip on 22:38 - Apr 9 with 1917 viewskensalriser

Covid restrictions permitting, I think I'll dash off for a quick trip abroad when the Queen croaks.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

RIP Prince Philip on 23:08 - Apr 9 with 1857 viewsdistortR

I don't believe in the monarchy. I don't think people should be revered for their blood line.
However, in this age of self, I think the queen and Phillip have a sense of duty and 'the greater good' that is, in it's own way, admirable.
So I'll say RIP, and if, in many years of public scrutiny, the worst anyone can say of him is some mild stereotype jokes, he didn't do badly really.
As a human, my sympathies go to his wife who, i imagine, may feel very alone with all that has been happening.
And to those who are unduly upset by what is or isn't on TV, well, i think celebrity culture is probably more insidious then the monarchy right now.
RIP Prince Philip on 23:11 - Apr 9 with 1843 viewslightwaterhoop

RIP Prince Philip on 22:38 - Apr 9 by kensalriser

Covid restrictions permitting, I think I'll dash off for a quick trip abroad when the Queen croaks.

Wow i see all the cowardly keyboard warriors are out in force today.
RIP Prince Philip on 23:24 - Apr 9 with 1811 viewsKonk

RIP Prince Philip on 23:08 - Apr 9 by distortR

I don't believe in the monarchy. I don't think people should be revered for their blood line.
However, in this age of self, I think the queen and Phillip have a sense of duty and 'the greater good' that is, in it's own way, admirable.
So I'll say RIP, and if, in many years of public scrutiny, the worst anyone can say of him is some mild stereotype jokes, he didn't do badly really.
As a human, my sympathies go to his wife who, i imagine, may feel very alone with all that has been happening.
And to those who are unduly upset by what is or isn't on TV, well, i think celebrity culture is probably more insidious then the monarchy right now.

Pretty much exactly where I am. I’m not a monarchist, but I can recognize the service the Queen and Phillip have given. The ultimate gilded cage. RIP.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

RIP Prince Philip on 23:45 - Apr 9 with 1770 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

RIP Prince Philip on 23:11 - Apr 9 by lightwaterhoop

Genuinely don’t get this one. This thread has been entirely respectful considering the divisive nature of the topic.
RIP Prince Philip on 23:51 - Apr 9 with 1744 viewsBoston

I let him share my birthday as it 'appens....oh gawd, now you all know, I'm going to get the bumps, ain't I !!!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

RIP Prince Philip on 00:01 - Apr 10 with 1723 viewsSharpy36

RIP Prince Philip on 23:45 - Apr 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

Genuinely don’t get this one. This thread has been entirely respectful considering the divisive nature of the topic.

What on gods earth is divisive about an "RIP Prince Phillip" thread ?

You either leave a message of condolance or you leave the thread alone.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

RIP Prince Philip on 00:21 - Apr 10 with 1687 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

RIP Prince Philip on 00:01 - Apr 10 by Sharpy36

Try not to get upset, I’m merely pointing out the reality of the internet and how people have been relatively ok.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 0:25]
RIP Prince Philip on 01:02 - Apr 10 with 1639 viewsCiderwithRsie

RIP Prince Philip on 23:08 - Apr 9 by distortR

Spot on.
RIP Prince Philip on 06:19 - Apr 10 with 1537 viewsWatford_Ranger

RIP Prince Philip on 00:01 - Apr 10 by Sharpy36

Given it’s a football forum rather than a remembrance book at Windsor Castle it’s really not that big a deal. From what little I know of him he’d probably have rather people made a joke than all this enforced grief.
RIP Prince Philip on 07:32 - Apr 10 with 1464 viewsngbqpr

RIP Prince Philip on 23:11 - Apr 9 by lightwaterhoop

What’s “cowardly” about that?

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

RIP Prince Philip on 07:33 - Apr 10 with 1462 viewsGloucs_R

I can see why a lot of people have left this forum over the last couple of years.

I have very strong views of Corbyn and despise Momentum. But it's he keels over tomorrow and someone starts a thread, I'd just ignore it.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 7:50]

RIP Prince Philip on 07:36 - Apr 10 with 1459 viewsjoe90

I have conflicting feelings about Prince Philip, on the one hand he represents hereditary privilege and a gross class system that has no place in modern society. On the other hand he has dedicated his life to public duty and served his country in the theatre of war which I do respect. Personally, I like the Queen and thought the Duke was a good side act, but the rest of the Royal Family I have no time for. Once the Queen dies we should become a republic, it would be the perfect time.
RIP Prince Philip on 07:40 - Apr 10 with 1456 viewswood_hoop

RIP Prince Philip on 22:38 - Apr 9 by kensalriser

If you can find somewhere not festooned with sattelite dishes ....

I was in Galicia when Princess Diana died, staying where only Spanish TV was available, not exactly like the Costa's for those that know the area.

I didn't even find out until the evening, she had died, had been at th beach all day, Wasn't until driving back to Madid a week later to return our hire car did it really hit home just how much of an impact her death was having, airport surround by heavily armed troops even tanks, found out that the KIng was flying over for the funeral.

Once back and driving down the M1 from Luton Airport the route Diana was taken to be laid to rest, was very surprised to see motorway bridges festooned with flowers and banners, even the motorway itself had plenty of blooms srewn acroos the lanes .

Of course soon found out once home the scale the morning had taken, hopefully for the Queen's sake the endless programmes on Phillips life will end real soon, I am sure she has many happy memories of her own to reflect upon, the lady has lost a partner of over 70 years, even if his death was on the cards after his recent illness, there will be a big void in her life, if at all possible I hope she gets the time and space to grieve in her own way.
RIP Prince Philip on 07:43 - Apr 10 with 1452 viewsdaveB

RIP Prince Philip on 20:52 - Apr 9 by ngbqpr

all the channels will have their own plans in place for this kind of thing, BBC did the same when Diana died, i remember I had to go back up to Uni the day she died and listening to the radio was bloody depressing,

I'd agree it is overkill but think you are a bit damned if you do damned if you don't with this kind of thing especially for the BBC, it'll be a lot worse when the Queen goes. Don't know about BBC but ITV go back to normal schedule from early afternoon today with the Grand National.

It is quite funny though to see people (not on here) genuinely lose their shit at the schedule being changed last night when normally they are screaming to defund everything and say they would rather watch netflix or other on demand services anyway
RIP Prince Philip on 08:07 - Apr 10 with 1410 viewsnadera78

RIP Prince Philip on 07:43 - Apr 10 by daveB

all the channels will have their own plans in place for this kind of thing, BBC did the same when Diana died, i remember I had to go back up to Uni the day she died and listening to the radio was bloody depressing,

I'd agree it is overkill but think you are a bit damned if you do damned if you don't with this kind of thing especially for the BBC, it'll be a lot worse when the Queen goes. Don't know about BBC but ITV go back to normal schedule from early afternoon today with the Grand National.

It is quite funny though to see people (not on here) genuinely lose their shit at the schedule being changed last night when normally they are screaming to defund everything and say they would rather watch netflix or other on demand services anyway

BBC1 returns to normal scheduling at 2pm with the Challenge Cup 3rd round - St Helens v Leeds.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024