Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Prince Philip 12:23 - Apr 9 with 14592 viewsGloucs_R

🇬🇧

Poll: Are we staying up?

RIP Prince Philip on 09:01 - Apr 10 with 2243 viewsRanger_Things

RIP Prince Philip on 07:36 - Apr 10 by joe90

I have conflicting feelings about Prince Philip, on the one hand he represents hereditary privilege and a gross class system that has no place in modern society. On the other hand he has dedicated his life to public duty and served his country in the theatre of war which I do respect. Personally, I like the Queen and thought the Duke was a good side act, but the rest of the Royal Family I have no time for. Once the Queen dies we should become a republic, it would be the perfect time.

Prince Phillip and the Queen were cousins and from a line where this horrific practice was a frequent occurence. Combine that inbreeding with the insane belief that they are anointed by god to own and rule multiple countries, plus all the people who live in them, and it's no surprise their offspring are so obviously fcked up. However I can't see any change happening. The royals are expert in succession and holding on to wealth and power. When Elizabeth dies they'll announce "The Queen is dead. Long live the King" and that will be that. It's deliberately instant and purposely designed so that nobody has a chance to question the legitimacy of the heir or the complete racket that is the royal family.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 9:32]
RIP Prince Philip on 09:38 - Apr 10 with 2122 viewsgazza1

This thread is a typical thread that gives people a chance.......thats all they want. Some people are proper wrong.

This thread should be about the death of Prince Phillip. He was without doubt a good man for this country and many of the people that live here. He was fantastic for the young people. Not only that he was excellent for the commonwealth. I would also suggest he was an excellent husband, dad, grandfather and leader of the family.

Why people want to slag him, the royalty, and anything else connected is beyond me. Basically No Respect.
RIP Prince Philip on 09:45 - Apr 10 with 2106 viewspaulparker

Doesn’t matter if he was in the Adams family or Royal family the bloke did his bit in WW2 and some so gets my respect fully
RIP Phil

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

RIP Prince Philip on 09:47 - Apr 10 with 2104 viewsPaddyhoops

RIP Prince Philip on 08:07 - Apr 10 by nadera78

BBC1 returns to normal scheduling at 2pm with the Challenge Cup 3rd round - St Helens v Leeds.

Not surprised the BBC are going over the top with the coverage. Its come in for some flak , notably from some of the right wing elements of the tory party who would happily see it disbanded.
I imagine plenty of the same people are staunch monarchists. You can imagine the outcry if the coverage wasn't on this scale.
ITVs coverage is less surprising. They love a Royal story and this is like mana from heaven for them.
One good thing has come out of this though.
It looks like the loyalist rioters in Norn Iron have downed tools for the night as a mark of respect.
Sales of unleaded in the Shankill will have taken a nose dive yesterday!!
RIP Prince Philip on 09:50 - Apr 10 with 2089 viewsPaddyhoops

Ignore the comment about the rioting.
I've just read it kicked off again last night. Apologies.
RIP Prince Philip on 10:02 - Apr 10 with 2066 viewsbollockchops

RIP Prince Philip on 09:01 - Apr 10 by Ranger_Things

Prince Phillip and the Queen were cousins and from a line where this horrific practice was a frequent occurence. Combine that inbreeding with the insane belief that they are anointed by god to own and rule multiple countries, plus all the people who live in them, and it's no surprise their offspring are so obviously fcked up. However I can't see any change happening. The royals are expert in succession and holding on to wealth and power. When Elizabeth dies they'll announce "The Queen is dead. Long live the King" and that will be that. It's deliberately instant and purposely designed so that nobody has a chance to question the legitimacy of the heir or the complete racket that is the royal family.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 9:32]

When Queenie goes id be quiet happy if they knock "the royal family lark" on the head bcos i have real trouble with charles and camila as leaders
RIP Prince Philip on 11:04 - Apr 10 with 1949 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

RIP Prince Philip on 07:33 - Apr 10 by Gloucs_R

I can see why a lot of people have left this forum over the last couple of years.

I have very strong views of Corbyn and despise Momentum. But it's he keels over tomorrow and someone starts a thread, I'd just ignore it.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 7:50]

It’s a major news story mate it’s going to attract diverse opinions on this thread and elsewhere. I really can’t see where anyone has gone over the top.

As for Corbyn and Momentum, I find that hard to believe, but why should you? If the discussion wants to be had, let it be had. There is no moral imperative to withhold genuine beliefs.
RIP Prince Philip on 11:06 - Apr 10 with 1943 viewsQPR_Jim

RIP Prince Philip on 23:08 - Apr 9 by distortR

I don't believe in the monarchy. I don't think people should be revered for their blood line.
However, in this age of self, I think the queen and Phillip have a sense of duty and 'the greater good' that is, in it's own way, admirable.
So I'll say RIP, and if, in many years of public scrutiny, the worst anyone can say of him is some mild stereotype jokes, he didn't do badly really.
As a human, my sympathies go to his wife who, i imagine, may feel very alone with all that has been happening.
And to those who are unduly upset by what is or isn't on TV, well, i think celebrity culture is probably more insidious then the monarchy right now.

Agree with this, RIP Philip. 99 is a good innings.

I'm not a fan of the monarchy either, not in a frothing at the mouth get them out now kind of way, it's just a sense that it's an antiquated idea. From what's been reported it would appear that Prince Philip agreed as he was keen to modernise the monarchy.

I think the current status of the monarchy is a good balance with them having no real power but still able to keep their titles. He seemed like a decent man who did a lot of good and my thoughts are with his family.
Login to get fewer ads

RIP Prince Philip on 11:55 - Apr 10 with 1874 viewsSheffieldHoop

RIP Prince Philip on 09:38 - Apr 10 by gazza1

This thread is a typical thread that gives people a chance.......thats all they want. Some people are proper wrong.

This thread should be about the death of Prince Phillip. He was without doubt a good man for this country and many of the people that live here. He was fantastic for the young people. Not only that he was excellent for the commonwealth. I would also suggest he was an excellent husband, dad, grandfather and leader of the family.

Why people want to slag him, the royalty, and anything else connected is beyond me. Basically No Respect.

It's only "trolling" when it's going against them
When they do it, it's "entirely respectful considering the divisive nature of the topic"

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

RIP Prince Philip on 12:10 - Apr 10 with 1841 viewsngbqpr

RIP Prince Philip on 09:38 - Apr 10 by gazza1

"Proper wrong"? No, just expressing opinions that may differ to yours.

"Excellent for the commonwealth". Like asking an aboriginal Australian if he was "still throwing spears"; or saying to a Kenyan woman who had just given him a gift, "you are a woman aren't you?"

"Excellent dad." His (gran)daughters-in-law may beg to differ.

"Slag him." I've seen very little slagging here, but some of us reserve the right to question (a) the existence of the monarchy; and (b) whether Philip's "gaffes" were actually both offensive and damaging.

"No Respect." In addition to his frequent racist comments, some of his other "gaffes" included saying "British women can't cook"; and during the mass unemployment of 1981, commenting on how people could enjoy the extra "leisure time." He frequently showed disrespect himself, and from a position of great privilege.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

RIP Prince Philip on 12:39 - Apr 10 with 1787 viewsWatford_Ranger

RIP Prince Philip on 12:10 - Apr 10 by ngbqpr

"Excellent for the commonwealth". Like asking an aboriginal Australian if he was "still throwing spears"; or saying to a Kenyan woman who had just given him a gift, "you are a woman aren't you?"

"Slag him." I've seen very little slagging here, but some of us reserve the right to question (a) the existence of the monarchy; and (b) whether Philip's "gaffes" were actually both offensive and damaging.

"No Respect." In addition to his frequent racist comments, some of his other "gaffes" included saying "British women can't cook"; and during the mass unemployment of 1981, commenting on how people could enjoy the extra "leisure time." He frequently showed disrespect himself, and from a position of great privilege.

A fine example of integrating into British society after arriving as a child refugee. Inspiring.
RIP Prince Philip on 13:20 - Apr 10 with 1734 viewsCliff

RIP Prince Philip on 12:39 - Apr 10 by Watford_Ranger

A fine example of integrating into British society after arriving as a child refugee. Inspiring.

Yeah, he picked up on the undertones of institutional racism right away!
RIP Prince Philip on 14:34 - Apr 10 with 1664 views100percent

RIP Prince Philip on 07:33 - Apr 10 by Gloucs_R

I can see why a lot of people have left this forum over the last couple of years.

I have very strong views of Corbyn and despise Momentum. But it's he keels over tomorrow and someone starts a thread, I'd just ignore it.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 7:50]

what a post.
Seamlessly coursing from an unfettered support of Phil the racist tiger killer to a hatred of Corbyn without catching breath ...
Priceless.....
RIP Prince Philip on 18:02 - Apr 10 with 1573 viewsizlingtonhoop

Gets a mention in this:

I say no more, I'd get rid of the whole institution.
RIP Prince Philip on 18:17 - Apr 10 with 1539 viewsNed_Kennedys

I’m sure there is a poster or two with their chubby digits poised to type what they really want to say about Prince Phillip and the royalty in general but haven’t got the guts to do it: those who respect the man’s life and service have quite rightly done so so perhaps it’s time to lock this thread?
RIP Prince Philip on 18:33 - Apr 10 with 1494 viewsPaddyhoops

RIP Prince Philip on 18:17 - Apr 10 by Ned_Kennedys

I’m sure there is a poster or two with their chubby digits poised to type what they really want to say about Prince Phillip and the royalty in general but haven’t got the guts to do it: those who respect the man’s life and service have quite rightly done so so perhaps it’s time to lock this thread?

Don't think anyone apart from one two have been disrespectful on this thread.
As I said before I'm not a monarchist but he deserves respect the same as any person who's died and his wife, the Queen deserves our sympathy .
At the same time. Do I think they are any better than me or anyone else? Certainly not.
The class system in this country is alive and well and I never quiet got the reverence to the "upper class" and Royals . At the same time whatever floats your boat I suppose. Each to his own.
RIP Prince Philip on 18:43 - Apr 10 with 1471 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

RIP Prince Philip on 18:33 - Apr 10 by Paddyhoops

Don't think anyone apart from one two have been disrespectful on this thread.
As I said before I'm not a monarchist but he deserves respect the same as any person who's died and his wife, the Queen deserves our sympathy .
At the same time. Do I think they are any better than me or anyone else? Certainly not.
The class system in this country is alive and well and I never quiet got the reverence to the "upper class" and Royals . At the same time whatever floats your boat I suppose. Each to his own.

Wouldn’t waste your breath mate.

You can’t reason with someone who is angry at their own imagination.
RIP Prince Philip on 18:45 - Apr 10 with 1465 viewsHantsR

RIP Prince Philip on 23:08 - Apr 9 by distortR

I don't believe in the monarchy. I don't think people should be revered for their blood line.
However, in this age of self, I think the queen and Phillip have a sense of duty and 'the greater good' that is, in it's own way, admirable.
So I'll say RIP, and if, in many years of public scrutiny, the worst anyone can say of him is some mild stereotype jokes, he didn't do badly really.
As a human, my sympathies go to his wife who, i imagine, may feel very alone with all that has been happening.
And to those who are unduly upset by what is or isn't on TV, well, i think celebrity culture is probably more insidious then the monarchy right now.

I'd like to give a double 'up' to this. I have lots of respect for Phil and LIz - I've met and spoken to them both over the years. He visited our work place and was quite entertaining in 2012 and the couple sailed into our Pacific Island in 1982 for what was quite a fabulous day, when we joined them at open air reception and banquet. I sat next to his Equerry, Brian Hanrahan and the Queen's security bloke. Whatever I feel about the Royal family, it's RIP Phil from me - good innings.
RIP Prince Philip on 19:51 - Apr 10 with 1385 viewsCaptainPugwash

Bumped into him by chance in the toilets of The Garrick Club when I was in town one time after some refurbishments to the facilities.
"Makes your pr*ck look a bit shabby doesn't it" he quipped.
RIP Prince Philip on 20:05 - Apr 10 with 1365 viewsHantsR

RIP Prince Philip on 19:51 - Apr 10 by CaptainPugwash

Bumped into him by chance in the toilets of The Garrick Club when I was in town one time after some refurbishments to the facilities.
"Makes your pr*ck look a bit shabby doesn't it" he quipped.

Typical, I guess we've all been there there haven't we?
RIP Prince Philip on 20:45 - Apr 10 with 1286 viewsBrixtonR

RIP
Absolutely, loved him one of my favorite royals, amazing bloke.
RIP Prince Philip on 21:45 - Apr 10 with 1237 viewsPhilmyRs

RIP Prince Philip on 12:10 - Apr 10 by ngbqpr

I’m in no way a supporter of the royal family, feel a bit indifferent to it all but in 70 years plus service you’ve flagged about 3 or 4 examples of his stupidity, where he’s said something inappropriate. Hearing a lot of the comments about him it would seem a key part of his approach would be to always try and calm down whoever he was meeting, try putting them at ease and would view cracking a joke as the best way, he clearly fcked up on this on occasion. But as said, these are examples from 70 years of service. You’d probably find more damaging material on every member of the cabinet who’ve been in situ for best part of a couple of years.

This is no Donald Trump we’re talking about here just someone who was committed to serving and doing their duty and made some embarrassing fck ups in the process. He was committed to not putting on a show, not reverting to spin like a number of politicians do and clearly got him into trouble by sticking to this. I don’t find him evil or even worthy of digging up comments from the 1980s. I think he should be remembered as loyal to his wife and the country/commonwealth with a decent work effort. Debates about maintaining the monarchy are all valid but probably worth a separate discussion. If this was a RIP Trump, Adams or Bush thread or any number of ex leaders from around the world, I could understand the hostility and why people would feel the need to wade in, just don’t get it with this one. A lot more evil and hated people that have caused a lot more damage to the world during their lives than Prince Philip.

Having written the above should say I’m sick of the tv coverage and have no strong pro or anti monarchy views. Just find it strange people are so critical of him. His son on the other hand...
RIP Prince Philip on 22:00 - Apr 10 with 1189 viewspaulparker

RIP Prince Philip on 20:45 - Apr 10 by BrixtonR

RIP
Absolutely, loved him one of my favorite royals, amazing bloke.

Your going against the narrative here Brixton be careful or the republicans will be after you

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

RIP Prince Philip on 22:06 - Apr 10 with 1162 viewsBrixtonR

RIP Prince Phillip
All my love goes to his Princess who became his queen.
Then for all those years they served our country. They were born into what they had but used it for good, what do you do?

Fck the politiks

A 96 year old lady lost her 99 year old man and people have no empathy...fkn scum
RIP Prince Philip on 22:21 - Apr 10 with 1108 viewsBoston

RIP Prince Philip on 18:45 - Apr 10 by HantsR

I'd like to give a double 'up' to this. I have lots of respect for Phil and LIz - I've met and spoken to them both over the years. He visited our work place and was quite entertaining in 2012 and the couple sailed into our Pacific Island in 1982 for what was quite a fabulous day, when we joined them at open air reception and banquet. I sat next to his Equerry, Brian Hanrahan and the Queen's security bloke. Whatever I feel about the Royal family, it's RIP Phil from me - good innings.

You may be the only poster(on this board anyways), with his own Pacific Island.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024