Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2 players short 08:43 - Apr 12 with 5383 viewsE17hoop

We seem to have forgotten that we've a couple of players who will be back for next season - LTC and Amos.

Adding that depth to the squad will make a real difference I reckon.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

2 players short on 12:01 - Apr 12 with 1350 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

2 players short on 11:51 - Apr 12 by DannytheR

Also, the partnership in CM is almost as important as that between CBs. In that respect LTC drew a very short straw all season. Occasionally he'd be partnering Dom Ball who, God love him, must be nerve racking to play alongside, but most of the time he was saddled with Cameron, who this season at least could neither run or pass. (Both usually seen as advantages in a central midfielder.)

Johansen is a better all-round midfielder, I agree - crisp passing, likes a tackle — and more naturally suited to the Championshipons for sure. Would be great for us to sign him. But playing alongside Field has let him do his thing much more effectively, and I think the same would be true for Carroll.

Agree.

Field and Johanson with Carroll in the middle with a bit of freedom would be interesting, especially as Dykes seems to be coming deeper to receive the ball.
2 players short on 12:41 - Apr 12 with 1291 viewsBazzeR

MW has recently said he prefers a smaller squad to keep players happy and motivated.
If johansen is retained I don’t believe that Carroll would commit to another year at his stage of career as his game time would be limited.
Johansen does provide creative passing ,a goal threat and adds bite in MF where it could be argued that Carroll brings one quality.
If MW continues with 3 C/Bs then it will be very difficult to fit in the likes of Amos , Thomas and Bettache let alone Carroll
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 12:43]
2 players short on 13:25 - Apr 12 with 1220 viewsBenny_the_Ball

2 players short on 09:17 - Apr 12 by RBlock

LTC would absolutely be an asset to this squad, I can't believe we're having this discussion again to be honest.

You're right Brian, before his injury he progressing the ball forward more than most other championship midfielders - somebody posted the charts on another thread. I think we are less direct when playing Willock and Chair behind a striker, as opposed to Dykes and Austin up top together, and that would suit him well. LTC being able to find Willock and Chair in forward areas and join in on the passing moves will help the squad and share the load with Johansen/Field in that role.

Many of the arguments in LTC's favour have been about what he can bring to the team going forwards without any consideration to the defence. The best teams strike a balance between the two. LTC may have a pass in him but he weakens the core of the team defensively and risks a return to the days of shipping 70+ goals per season. If Johansen and Field stay (and that's a big if at the moment) then they are the obvious central midfield partnership, not LTC plus one of Johansen or Field. You only have to look at how Swansea (a team that on paper are tailor made for LTC) have progressed since dispensing with his services. That being said, LTC on modest wages would be a welcome addition to the QPR squad and provide MW with a degree of flexibility with tactics and formation.
2 players short on 13:28 - Apr 12 with 1214 viewsBenny_the_Ball

To the OP, LTC's contract expires this summer so you can't assume that he will be back next season. In addition, Johansen, Austin, De Wijs and Field are not QPR players and it appears that QPR only have an option on the latter. Given the above, the squad is currently more than 2 players short.
2 players short on 13:31 - Apr 12 with 1217 viewsdmm

2 players short on 13:28 - Apr 12 by Benny_the_Ball

To the OP, LTC's contract expires this summer so you can't assume that he will be back next season. In addition, Johansen, Austin, De Wijs and Field are not QPR players and it appears that QPR only have an option on the latter. Given the above, the squad is currently more than 2 players short.

We have an option on both de Wijs and Field.
2 players short on 14:01 - Apr 12 with 1161 viewsBenny_the_Ball

2 players short on 13:31 - Apr 12 by dmm

We have an option on both de Wijs and Field.

I'm only aware of an option on Field and even if what you're saying is correct and QPR do exercise the option, we're still way more more than 2 players short.

Frankly I'm growing tired of the number of threads that assume that the current squad is ours and we can simply build on it with one or two shrewd additions. Without the loan signings, QPR go back to the team that struggled in the first half of this season.

You only have to look at last season (when we lost both Hugill and Wells) to understand that recruitment will be key this summer and that includes either retaining or replacing the current loan players.
2 players short on 14:20 - Apr 12 with 1136 viewsbosh67

2 players short on 14:01 - Apr 12 by Benny_the_Ball

I'm only aware of an option on Field and even if what you're saying is correct and QPR do exercise the option, we're still way more more than 2 players short.

Frankly I'm growing tired of the number of threads that assume that the current squad is ours and we can simply build on it with one or two shrewd additions. Without the loan signings, QPR go back to the team that struggled in the first half of this season.

You only have to look at last season (when we lost both Hugill and Wells) to understand that recruitment will be key this summer and that includes either retaining or replacing the current loan players.

I think the problem was that when we lost Hugill and Wells last season we really didn't have anyone to replace them. Then we got both Dykes and Kelman in who had never played a Championship match between them and Bonne who had played less than a season at this level and expected all three of them to hit the ground running with almost no experience at all. MW obviously rates Kelman over Bonne and Dykes over both of them. I feel a bit for Bonne. He takes up good positions but his finishing needs improving. He is good in the air and I just get the feeling that with an actual run in the team he would start scoring. Everyone who has seen Kelman training and playing in the U23s has said he's got the best first touch in the club. He still may need a half season loan out if someone like Charlie stays next season. Dykes seems to have switchd off the screaming on social media and just concentrated on what he does on the pitch, plus he has apparently benefitted greatly from training with Charlie.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

2 players short on 17:23 - Apr 12 with 1079 viewsE17hoop

2 players short on 10:57 - Apr 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

How great is it being able to say we have two players coming back into a winning squad by the way.

Normally our long term injuries are scrambled back as quick as possible to put out fires.

Good times.

This is the point I was trying to make. We've been living in scraps in terms of depth for a while so to have 2 players coming back has to be a positive.

I know we need more than 2 players, the title of the thread was more about the fact we have short memories about the players in the squad.

I think both could be an asset and would provide is with more options than we have now and that has to be a good thing.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Login to get fewer ads

2 players short on 19:32 - Apr 12 with 1011 viewsngbqpr

I love a good leftie (and I don’t just mean Bazza), and have really enjoyed having as many as five on the pitch recently, adding great balance.

However I can’t see a CDM pairing of two lefties working (perm any two from Field, Johansen, Carroll, Bettacbe)

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

2 players short on 20:10 - Apr 12 with 966 viewsdmm

2 players short on 19:32 - Apr 12 by ngbqpr

I love a good leftie (and I don’t just mean Bazza), and have really enjoyed having as many as five on the pitch recently, adding great balance.

However I can’t see a CDM pairing of two lefties working (perm any two from Field, Johansen, Carroll, Bettacbe)

Well since left footed Johnsen and Field have been paired at CM we've been in great form.
2 players short on 20:12 - Apr 12 with 960 viewsNed_Kennedys

Classic case of a player looking better when they have been unavailable for a while IMO. LTC just doesn’t contribute enough in dangerous areas, if we are genuinely looking to push on towards the playoffs next season then I don’t think he’s good enough. Amos on the other hand was making progress and will hopefully continue to do so when he’s back.
2 players short on 20:59 - Apr 12 with 928 viewsdavman

2 players short on 09:48 - Apr 12 by daveB

criticism of Carrol is ridiculous, he was very good up until his injury

Not really "ridiculous", just a different opinion. I felt LTC was better than many think and was effective early season and think that if he gets fit he'd be an asset.
However, I can see how others got frustrated with him at times.

As I say, all about opinions...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

2 players short on 21:05 - Apr 12 with 904 viewsBenny_the_Ball

2 players short on 17:23 - Apr 12 by E17hoop

This is the point I was trying to make. We've been living in scraps in terms of depth for a while so to have 2 players coming back has to be a positive.

I know we need more than 2 players, the title of the thread was more about the fact we have short memories about the players in the squad.

I think both could be an asset and would provide is with more options than we have now and that has to be a good thing.

OK, I see what you're trying to say now but:
(1) The title of the thread is misleading. It suggests that QPR are only 2 players short of a decent squad and that void will be filled by the returning Amos and Carroll.
(2) It ignores the fact that LTC is out of contract in the summer and Amos will be returning from a second cruciate ligament injury.
2 players short on 21:11 - Apr 12 with 905 viewsdistortR

2 players short on 11:10 - Apr 12 by BrianMcCarthy

I definitely agree that he used to be predictable in his first spell. 100%.

He's a different player now, though. Johansen is better again of course, but Carroll has improved from his first spell and my recollection of us before his injury was that it was him who found Chair consistently with forward balls. We were playing football on the deck, we were trying to play though oppo midfields rather than over them or around them and I thought that LTC was the only player we had brave enough and capable enough to do it. I think we missed him when he got injured. Then we found Johansen and we were set again.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 11:21]

2 players short on 21:25 - Apr 12 with 872 viewsBenny_the_Ball

2 players short on 14:20 - Apr 12 by bosh67

I think the problem was that when we lost Hugill and Wells last season we really didn't have anyone to replace them. Then we got both Dykes and Kelman in who had never played a Championship match between them and Bonne who had played less than a season at this level and expected all three of them to hit the ground running with almost no experience at all. MW obviously rates Kelman over Bonne and Dykes over both of them. I feel a bit for Bonne. He takes up good positions but his finishing needs improving. He is good in the air and I just get the feeling that with an actual run in the team he would start scoring. Everyone who has seen Kelman training and playing in the U23s has said he's got the best first touch in the club. He still may need a half season loan out if someone like Charlie stays next season. Dykes seems to have switchd off the screaming on social media and just concentrated on what he does on the pitch, plus he has apparently benefitted greatly from training with Charlie.

That's exactly my point. We didn't adequately replace Hugill and Wells and ended up staring relegation in the face until further loans bolstered the squad in January. We face the same dilemma again this summer. If Johansen returns to Fulham, LTC will not be an adequate replacement. Sure, he's easy on the eye when given plenty of time to pick a pass but he just doesn't offer the same guile, backbone and leadership. If De Wijs goes, we're looking at either Cameron or Ball in a defensive 3 with Barbet and Dickie. If Charlie goes, we're depending on Dykes, Bonne and/or Kelman to step up.
2 players short on 21:35 - Apr 12 with 852 viewsBrianMcCarthy

2 players short on 21:11 - Apr 12 by distortR

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

2 players short on 22:00 - Apr 12 with 807 viewsBoston

In answer to 17's two players short post, well I'd go for Bannan, claims 5' 7" but he's lying, and how about a punt on Daniel Barrios in Argentina, currently without a club but more importantly 5' 3".

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

2 players short on 08:54 - Apr 13 with 681 viewsTheChef

Spoke to some Fulham fans last night and they didn't seem to rate Johansen, so I said if you don't want him we will happily have him!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

2 players short on 09:15 - Apr 13 with 664 viewsPinnerPaul

2 players short on 21:25 - Apr 12 by Benny_the_Ball

That's exactly my point. We didn't adequately replace Hugill and Wells and ended up staring relegation in the face until further loans bolstered the squad in January. We face the same dilemma again this summer. If Johansen returns to Fulham, LTC will not be an adequate replacement. Sure, he's easy on the eye when given plenty of time to pick a pass but he just doesn't offer the same guile, backbone and leadership. If De Wijs goes, we're looking at either Cameron or Ball in a defensive 3 with Barbet and Dickie. If Charlie goes, we're depending on Dykes, Bonne and/or Kelman to step up.

Ah the old 'staring relegation in the face' fake news again!
2 players short on 09:51 - Apr 13 with 643 viewsgazza1

As this has turned into a LTC thread.....my view is that he will not be given an extension to his contract and I will support that decision 100% - he cannot be that good if he has been a nomad player for his entire career. If he was a big asset to a team he would have stayed there and not moved time and again. Swansea last year(??), he was released and Swansea are where we are aiming for next season. Let him go and get in a far better player. The other point, which has also been said before, is that we have already got enough left footed central midfielders and surely, all 3 would not be played at the same time, we would be very unbalanced. Added to that, he has been pretty average this season with his sideway passing and lack of fitness.

I believe that we will sign at least all the loan players apart from maybe one of them. We should look to sign another forward and allow a couple of youngsters go out on loan.
2 players short on 09:56 - Apr 13 with 635 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

2 players short on 09:51 - Apr 13 by gazza1

As this has turned into a LTC thread.....my view is that he will not be given an extension to his contract and I will support that decision 100% - he cannot be that good if he has been a nomad player for his entire career. If he was a big asset to a team he would have stayed there and not moved time and again. Swansea last year(??), he was released and Swansea are where we are aiming for next season. Let him go and get in a far better player. The other point, which has also been said before, is that we have already got enough left footed central midfielders and surely, all 3 would not be played at the same time, we would be very unbalanced. Added to that, he has been pretty average this season with his sideway passing and lack of fitness.

I believe that we will sign at least all the loan players apart from maybe one of them. We should look to sign another forward and allow a couple of youngsters go out on loan.

You are a hard man to please Gazza!
2 players short on 09:58 - Apr 13 with 634 viewsdannyblue

2 players short? Carroll I grant you, but Amos is middling wouldn’t you say? 5’11?
2 players short on 10:11 - Apr 13 with 607 viewsTheChef

2 players short on 09:58 - Apr 13 by dannyblue

2 players short? Carroll I grant you, but Amos is middling wouldn’t you say? 5’11?

I think Amos's standing in the squad will have benefited by not playing - in a way it will be like getting a new player, and hopefully he will come good, but I'm not sure he's quite up to it and seems injury prone too.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

2 players short on 11:36 - Apr 13 with 562 views1JD

2 players short on 09:51 - Apr 13 by gazza1

Having too many left footed players is unbalanced?

In other words, having many right footed players is balanced, right?!

Very stereotypical.
2 players short on 12:10 - Apr 13 with 533 viewsgazza1

2 players short on 09:56 - Apr 13 by BazzaInTheLoft

You are a hard man to please Gazza!

Not really Bazzer.......

We have got some good players and a good team however some players are pretty average and dear LTC is one of them who is limited, looks good what he does but doesn't achieve much. Seriously, if he was any good you need to ask yourself 'why has he had so many clubs?, what forward play does he do (defence splitting) or how many tackles does he make??

We must get better if we want to achieve anything as a Club.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024