Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How do we cut the players salary in half 02:05 - Mar 6 with 4739 viewstoreqpr

We need to do this in a season or two.Championship or league 1.How and where do we get new players ?
How do we cut the players salary in half on 03:47 - Mar 6 with 3704 viewsozexile

Well obviously you have to honour current contracts but IMO if you're in the 1st team squad this year and your contract expires in June, see ya later. No one worth keeping. Then go through the released players list from other clubs and pick out some players with a bit of pride.
I'd also take Belk's computer software in for an upgrade as it doesn't work correctly.
How do we cut the players salary in half on 04:56 - Mar 6 with 3676 viewsSydneyRs

Hard to imagine at the moment, but you take on less able players who are cheaper. Or those fabled prospects that we can try to develop.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2023 8:13]
How do we cut the players salary in half on 05:32 - Mar 6 with 3639 viewsRs_Holy

How do we cut the players salary in half on 04:56 - Mar 6 by SydneyRs

Hard to imagine at the moment, but you take on less able players who are cheaper. Or those fabled prospects that we can try to develop.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2023 8:13]

Yep being able to produce some decent players from the youth system would solve a lot of problems
How do we cut the players salary in half on 07:32 - Mar 6 with 3517 viewsWegerles_Stairs

It's important to remain optimistic. What we have at the moment is the nadir. I still think we'll stay up (though ask me after Birmingham) so at the end of the season, you get rid of as many of the useless wasters in the current squad, as well as plenty of those at management level. And you let Gareth put a squad together. Not a DoF phoning it in. The manager, because they play for him.
How do we cut the players salary in half on 08:03 - Mar 6 with 3464 viewsstevec

It’s a very good question.

From what I’ve read on here, if relegated to League One, you’re only allowed salaries up to 75% of your turnover but given the vast majority of players will still be under contract, how do you reduce a ratio of 124% of salary to turnover to that level?

Add to the fact our turnover of £22 million would likely reduce to around £14 million max in league one, we’d actually need to reduce wages from £27m to £10m, practically impossible I’d say unless Hoos has drawn up contracts that, in the event of relegation, contracted wages reduce by half, and my guess is it’s probably not even crossed his mind and even if it had, the players Union would have strangled that at birth.

On a more sinister level, if the Board have just had enough, League One may be their preference. Once the wages are eventually down at 75% of turnover, the club could at a push reduce its loss to about half a million a month instead of the present two million a month.

It would also make the club a more attractive proposition to a buyer, cheaper to takeover and not carrying huge losses every season.

Happy days.
How do we cut the players salary in half on 08:36 - Mar 6 with 3406 viewsJamesB1979

Reduce the number of players and coaches would be the first step. When contracts run out, don’t replace them.
How do we cut the players salary in half on 08:38 - Mar 6 with 3401 viewsBAWHoops

With the huge caveat that the Capology website is not the oracle, these wages are coming off the bill at the end of the season

Laird - £13k
Balogan - £12.5k
Lowe - £12k
Amos - £10k
Tim - £4k
Roberts - £3k
Archer - £2k
Owens - £1.5k

That's 58k coming off, plus we will likely sell Dieng and Chair (who are £11k wages between them)

So this summer there's probably 70k leaving the building (give or take)

You then need to sign a Keeper, right back, centre back, centre mid, No 10 for £0 and have them all on no more than £35k combined

Very very tricky

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

How do we cut the players salary in half on 09:06 - Mar 6 with 3348 viewsjoe90

Just a guess, but like has already been mentioned - first, sack off anyone who’s got a contract ending this summer. Second, I’d think with GA in charge we’ll be looking at a different type of player. This should mean more options and less developing random players from other clubs.

What I think we’ll see is a departure from our current style of play and something a bit more cohesive, something resembling an actual team then our current mix of sick notes and loanees.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2023 9:32]
Login to get fewer ads

How do we cut the players salary in half on 09:27 - Mar 6 with 3282 viewsslmrstid

Presumably cutting the players in half isnt an option?
How do we cut the players salary in half on 09:30 - Mar 6 with 3272 viewsNorthantsHoop

How do we cut the players salary in half on 09:06 - Mar 6 by joe90

Just a guess, but like has already been mentioned - first, sack off anyone who’s got a contract ending this summer. Second, I’d think with GA in charge we’ll be looking at a different type of player. This should mean more options and less developing random players from other clubs.

What I think we’ll see is a departure from our current style of play and something a bit more cohesive, something resembling an actual team then our current mix of sick notes and loanees.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2023 9:32]

Yep this is my hope, more harder style of football that hopefully Gareth will be allowed to develop. I am sick and tired of seeing us either buy or loan in sick note footballers, it has been particulary worse this season. Better to try and put it right in the Championship, rather than League 1. I am just not sure with the frailty in the club that relegation would lead to further slipping down the pyramid. Gareth has quite a job on his hands, but we have to have belief he can turn it round this season and keep us in the Championship. Probably going to write off the Watford game, hope we can at least give them a go and either lose narrowly or get a draw, the fight back will hopefully be Blackpool away and the Birmingham home match.
How do we cut the players salary in half on 09:32 - Mar 6 with 3252 viewsbosh67

It's almost impossible. It is likely that we will need to sell our best players whichever way the season ends. Saving £70-80K a week helps but we are losing £450K plus a week so that barely touches the surface. Selling our best players will at least relieve the spectre of points penalties or worse next season and the season afterwards. I think we may have to introduce a low wage policy with bonuses paid on wins and success, which may have motivated a few players this season? Otherwise you look at players in the Nationwide and there are a fair few of them who could probably step up, and they will want to do well.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

How do we cut the players salary in half on 09:58 - Mar 6 with 3197 viewsPeterHucker

How do we cut the players salary in half on 09:27 - Mar 6 by slmrstid

Presumably cutting the players in half isnt an option?

I think that’s likely to further increase the number of injured players.
Especially if an injured player who had been cut in half would count as 2 injured players.
How do we cut the players salary in half on 10:16 - Mar 6 with 3163 viewsmonners1969

I guess another option is to see how we can increase revenue. I notice the side story that Ealing Trailfinders (Championship Rugby club who cant get in to Premier due to ground) could be merging with Welsh Team (Ospreys) to get in the United Rugby Championship (clubs from Ireland Scotland Wales Italy and South Africa play in it)....

Could be an interesting Ground Share option to uptick the income from LR? Pretty sure stewarding and policing costs are way lower for rugby...?

As for cutting costs - We have to stop the addiction to Loans and play our players that we own and find out f the can hack it more quickly. We are currently Pi55ing so much money away to Loans its frightening... This season has been the worst imo none of the loans have made a sustained positive impact on the team..
How do we cut the players salary in half on 10:47 - Mar 6 with 3111 viewsTheChef

Next season looks awful regardless of which division we're in!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

How do we cut the players salary in half on 10:51 - Mar 6 with 3106 viewsmonners1969

How do we cut the players salary in half on 09:30 - Mar 6 by NorthantsHoop

Yep this is my hope, more harder style of football that hopefully Gareth will be allowed to develop. I am sick and tired of seeing us either buy or loan in sick note footballers, it has been particulary worse this season. Better to try and put it right in the Championship, rather than League 1. I am just not sure with the frailty in the club that relegation would lead to further slipping down the pyramid. Gareth has quite a job on his hands, but we have to have belief he can turn it round this season and keep us in the Championship. Probably going to write off the Watford game, hope we can at least give them a go and either lose narrowly or get a draw, the fight back will hopefully be Blackpool away and the Birmingham home match.

Yeah totally agree with this GA needs time to put some backbone in to the team and squad - the Beale excuse doesnt wash with me anymore... Would love to see Armstrong get a goal under his belt - I think hed start to flourish. Progress on saturday is dont concede 3 goals and fight like buggery.... Should we recall Masterton and go 3 at back?
How do we cut the players salary in half on 11:09 - Mar 6 with 3082 viewsbosh67

How do we cut the players salary in half on 10:51 - Mar 6 by monners1969

Yeah totally agree with this GA needs time to put some backbone in to the team and squad - the Beale excuse doesnt wash with me anymore... Would love to see Armstrong get a goal under his belt - I think hed start to flourish. Progress on saturday is dont concede 3 goals and fight like buggery.... Should we recall Masterton and go 3 at back?

If there is any way of getting Masterson back I would. All hands on deck. Gubbins isn't proven at this level but then again he is pretty good at U23 level.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

How do we cut the players salary in half on 11:11 - Mar 6 with 3075 viewsdaveB

Masterson can't be recalled
How do we cut the players salary in half on 11:33 - Mar 6 with 3041 viewsTheChef

How do we cut the players salary in half on 11:11 - Mar 6 by daveB

Masterson can't be recalled

Well done everyone.

How do we cut the players salary in half on 11:45 - Mar 6 with 3015 viewsstanistheman

How do we cut the players salary in half on 08:38 - Mar 6 by BAWHoops

With the huge caveat that the Capology website is not the oracle, these wages are coming off the bill at the end of the season

Laird - £13k
Balogan - £12.5k
Lowe - £12k
Amos - £10k
Tim - £4k
Roberts - £3k
Archer - £2k
Owens - £1.5k

That's 58k coming off, plus we will likely sell Dieng and Chair (who are £11k wages between them)

So this summer there's probably 70k leaving the building (give or take)

You then need to sign a Keeper, right back, centre back, centre mid, No 10 for £0 and have them all on no more than £35k combined

Very very tricky

The last part is not tricky, but rather risky as it would most likely mean signing inferir quality players than Dieng, Laird, Dickie, Johansen , Willock and Chair. Ainsworth will lost likely create a new Wycombe style squad that will battle in most games, but in truth will likely lead to relegation (if it doesn't happen this season. Much in the same way that the likes of Peterborough, Rotherham, Barnsley and of course Wycombe have discovered in their Championship seasons.
How do we cut the players salary in half on 11:46 - Mar 6 with 3014 viewsdaveB

How do we cut the players salary in half on 11:33 - Mar 6 by TheChef

Well done everyone.

He's another one we've had for 3 years who has hardly ever played so none the wiser if he's any good or not and just paying him to play for someone else. Charlie Kellman another, Joe Walsh as well. It's a bizarre situation
How do we cut the players salary in half on 11:50 - Mar 6 with 2999 viewsTheChef

How do we cut the players salary in half on 11:46 - Mar 6 by daveB

He's another one we've had for 3 years who has hardly ever played so none the wiser if he's any good or not and just paying him to play for someone else. Charlie Kellman another, Joe Walsh as well. It's a bizarre situation

Whenever I did see him play he didn't seem terrible, so it's strange how he's vanished from sight.

I mean he can't do any worse! Same for Gubbins.

How do we cut the players salary in half on 12:11 - Mar 6 with 2977 viewsdannyblue

It's all so unsustainable as it stands. It saddens me to say it, but I think you need to scrap the academy. And scrap the staff bloat. Do those two things and I think you can have a sensible budget while still having a competitive team.

If income is £22m, and you want to get wages to 75% of income, then you're aiming for £16.5m. That's actually quite a lot to play with.

To get there:
Run a first team squad of 20 (half on £15k pw, half on £7.5k pw)
Run a B team of 20 (average £2k pw)
Scrap the youth teams
Average Champ manager is c. £20k pw
Have one GK coach across both teams (ideally also double as 3rd choice keeper), 2 more coaches for the first team, 3 more for the second team = 6 (average £2k pw)
3 Analysts @ £2k = £6kpw
3 Recruitment @2k = £6k pw
3 Physios @2k = £6k pw

Remember £2kpw is over £100k per year. A good salary and plenty of young hungry people would want that. £15k pw is a very competitive championship wage.

Add that all up and your wage bill is £16.4m.

What are we currently spending on that we really need over all this?

(I have no idea of real salaries and coaching structures, of course, but I wanted to do an exercise in plausibility....My assumption is that non-football staff wages can be excluded, just like stadium and training ground expenditure...if not then you need to reduce that elite group of players in the first team or run a smaller B team and fill gaps with trialists to hit the target).

Sorry to link to such a rag, but this suggets the figures aren't way off: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8262315/Physios-191-000-kit-m
[Post edited 6 Mar 2023 12:18]
How do we cut the players salary in half on 12:18 - Mar 6 with 2956 viewsstanistheman

How do we cut the players salary in half on 11:50 - Mar 6 by TheChef

Whenever I did see him play he didn't seem terrible, so it's strange how he's vanished from sight.

I mean he can't do any worse! Same for Gubbins.

Unlike Eze or Chair at Wycombe and Stevenage, Kelman hasn't exactly shone at Leyton Orient though so I don't think he would be anywhere near the standard we need in the Championship.

However, we are so poor at the back right now, that I don't see how Gubbins or even Kakay could make us any worse. 3 goals conceded against Burnley, Luton, Hull, Sunderland, Middlesboro, Blackburn and now Rotherham plus 2 against Fleetwood, Reading and Millwall is shocking. No clean sheets since Boxing Day at Cardiff.

If it is within the rules I like the idea of a lower basic wage with better bonuses for wins and draws. Also factor in a sliding scale dependent on league position.

As for how much we are losing each week, is that down to players' wages or the number of coaches, physios, and management staff such as Hoos, Ferdinand, Belk and co?

If the latter then perhaps we should be looking at cutting back on their wages.
How do we cut the players salary in half on 12:54 - Mar 6 with 2891 viewsderbyhoop

We're probably slightly better, financially, in 2022/23 as we released plenty of expensive players and didn't pay single transfer fee for anybody who came in.
I find it hard to believe that Laird, Iroegbunam, Robert's, Richard's and Lowe earn more, collectively, than Sanderson, Hendrick, Gray, MacCallum and Odubajo.

Saying that, it would be hard to justify retaining any of the players who will be out of contract this Summer. Unless they are prepared to take a significant pay cut. I suspect we will also need to sell 1 or 2 for whatever we can get. Chair and Dieng being the most obvious ones.

The worry is that, even if we stay in the Championship, next season's team is likely to be considerably weaker. Unless there is the best recruitment we've ever known.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

How do we cut the players salary in half on 13:15 - Mar 6 with 2847 viewsNewBee

How do we cut the players salary in half on 08:03 - Mar 6 by stevec

It’s a very good question.

From what I’ve read on here, if relegated to League One, you’re only allowed salaries up to 75% of your turnover but given the vast majority of players will still be under contract, how do you reduce a ratio of 124% of salary to turnover to that level?

Add to the fact our turnover of £22 million would likely reduce to around £14 million max in league one, we’d actually need to reduce wages from £27m to £10m, practically impossible I’d say unless Hoos has drawn up contracts that, in the event of relegation, contracted wages reduce by half, and my guess is it’s probably not even crossed his mind and even if it had, the players Union would have strangled that at birth.

On a more sinister level, if the Board have just had enough, League One may be their preference. Once the wages are eventually down at 75% of turnover, the club could at a push reduce its loss to about half a million a month instead of the present two million a month.

It would also make the club a more attractive proposition to a buyer, cheaper to takeover and not carrying huge losses every season.

Happy days.

"...unless Hoos has drawn up contracts that, in the event of relegation, contracted wages reduce by half, and my guess is it’s probably not even crossed his mind and even if it had, the players Union would have strangled that at birth."
Such clauses are nothing to do with the players' union (PFA), they're a matter for negotiation betweeen club and player/agent only. The PFA only gets involved should the club renege on whatever payments have been agreed.

"[Relegation] would also make the club a more attractive proposition to a buyer, cheaper to takeover and not carrying huge losses every season."

Seriously doubt it. The big attraction of a Championship club is that, theoretically at least, you're only one good season (Promotion) away from the Promised Land. Which must be the usual reason why new owners buy into Championship clubs, even mediocre ones.

Whereas gaining two promotions must by definition be at least doubly hard, all the more so for a club which has just been relegated. On top of which, even before you take wages into account, decent new players must be much harder to attract to a League One side than a Championship one.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024