Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reggie Cannon 19:12 - Sep 19 with 56232 viewsaston_hoop

In amongst all the fun of the game tonight, we are apparently looking to sign an American international right back

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Reggie Cannon on 11:23 - Sep 27 with 3866 viewsTK1

Don't understand how anyone can describe this as either a good or bad window yet. Every window I can remember has looked good in late September - last year we were heading for top of the table. The window before was excellent, all of Warbs' in fact looked healthy, a new start, great blend , second contact, look after the ball (no need to worry about that anymore) etc etc. Holloway had some cracking windows, Steve McClaren's team of men...

Yes, we have signed some handsome potential, and yes we have signed some gnarly old pros. On the other hand, Ainsworth has still only won one home game since March. Let's talk after Coventry. One of those marquee gnarly old pros has scored two goals and looked really tidy, but he's also been suspended for as many games as he's played (and could have been sent off in another if he'd properly connected his professional foul). Our new goal-keeping captain has made some great stops, but has also thrown a couple of doozies in, is incapable of kicking the ball to his own team and has appeared on a CFC podcast at length. Fox looks a composed, experienced player - but has stunk the place out in the last two games with his positioning and passing. Cook: leader, excellent defender - but so thin-skinned he comes on twitter to chew out a fan unhappy at losing 1-3 home (again). We bought Smyth because of his great performances as a left-winger last season, but so far he's played (decently) as a right wing back. Who can say what either full back is going to be like...

So this is the definition of jury being out I'd say. We're still going into the winter with one recognised number 9 and a rookie 20-year old alongside him who's scored one (one) professional goal in thirty appearances. Should we see how that pans out? Doesn't feel a smashing window in that respect. We'll have a few centre-backs though so maybe Jimmy Dunne can play up front.
Reggie Cannon on 11:29 - Sep 27 with 3816 viewsDavieQPR

Reggie Cannon on 11:23 - Sep 27 by TK1

Don't understand how anyone can describe this as either a good or bad window yet. Every window I can remember has looked good in late September - last year we were heading for top of the table. The window before was excellent, all of Warbs' in fact looked healthy, a new start, great blend , second contact, look after the ball (no need to worry about that anymore) etc etc. Holloway had some cracking windows, Steve McClaren's team of men...

Yes, we have signed some handsome potential, and yes we have signed some gnarly old pros. On the other hand, Ainsworth has still only won one home game since March. Let's talk after Coventry. One of those marquee gnarly old pros has scored two goals and looked really tidy, but he's also been suspended for as many games as he's played (and could have been sent off in another if he'd properly connected his professional foul). Our new goal-keeping captain has made some great stops, but has also thrown a couple of doozies in, is incapable of kicking the ball to his own team and has appeared on a CFC podcast at length. Fox looks a composed, experienced player - but has stunk the place out in the last two games with his positioning and passing. Cook: leader, excellent defender - but so thin-skinned he comes on twitter to chew out a fan unhappy at losing 1-3 home (again). We bought Smyth because of his great performances as a left-winger last season, but so far he's played (decently) as a right wing back. Who can say what either full back is going to be like...

So this is the definition of jury being out I'd say. We're still going into the winter with one recognised number 9 and a rookie 20-year old alongside him who's scored one (one) professional goal in thirty appearances. Should we see how that pans out? Doesn't feel a smashing window in that respect. We'll have a few centre-backs though so maybe Jimmy Dunne can play up front.

Remind me not to phone you when I want cheering up.
Reggie Cannon on 11:29 - Sep 27 with 3814 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Reggie Cannon on 10:45 - Sep 27 by daveB

We spent money on transfer fees for Richards and Cook possibly Colback as well

Do agree with Brian, you can't know if you've had a good transfer window until the next ones comes around, last year looked great but then by christmas we'd seen enough of most of them.

year before we all raved about what Warbs did but then by January Austin looked shot to pieces, Johansen was below par, De Wijs was gone and Gray hadn't done much

Well The Lesser Spotted Richards was a Beale purchase, and currently ranks as BHA's second best bit of transfer business behind the £115m they got for the Ecuadorian lad!

Now you mention it,I think there was some sort of fee for Cook, but wasn't Colbeck released by Forest.

Feel free to reply to nudge this to 10 pages BTW.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Reggie Cannon on 11:45 - Sep 27 with 3741 viewsHoopsie

Some of the comments here are upbeat, and then some, down beat or beat down, I think let’s give it till end of November

This thread is about the player. Hope he does well
[Post edited 27 Sep 2023 11:47]

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Reggie Cannon on 12:17 - Sep 27 with 3604 viewsNorthernr

Belated bits and pieces

QPR wheel in Cannon to fire up de-fence - Signing 27th Sep 2023 12:16
USA international Reggie Cannon is joining Queens Park Rangers outside the transfer window as a free agent following his acrimonious split with Boavista in Portugal. 10

Reggie Cannon on 12:49 - Sep 27 with 3461 viewshubble

Reggie Cannon on 12:17 - Sep 27 by Northernr

Belated bits and pieces

USA international Reggie Cannon is joining Queens Park Rangers outside the transfer window as a free agent following his acrimonious split with Boavista in Portugal. 10

That's an excellent overview and analysis, Clive, thanks.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Reggie Cannon on 12:50 - Sep 27 with 3460 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Reggie Cannon on 12:49 - Sep 27 by hubble

That's an excellent overview and analysis, Clive, thanks.

Seconded.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Reggie Cannon on 13:03 - Sep 27 with 3389 viewsRs_Holy

Reggie Cannon on 12:50 - Sep 27 by BrianMcCarthy

Seconded.

Thirdededed!
Login to get fewer ads

Reggie Cannon on 13:33 - Sep 27 with 3241 viewsCateLeBonR

Reggie Cannon on 13:03 - Sep 27 by Rs_Holy

Thirdededed!

Forthed
Reggie Cannon on 13:42 - Sep 27 with 3182 viewsCincyHoop

Reggie Cannon on 13:03 - Sep 27 by Rs_Holy

Thirdededed!

Seems like a sensible signing on paper with limited downside risk (4 yr deal, unknown wages). I would be curious as to what the range we think we might be paying him, on a 4 year deal. Hesitant to even ask the question in fear of this going down a speculative rabbit hole that will probably do nobody any good.

Not going to pretend to know the answer, but I can't imagine the pool of players who are in their mid twenties, with international experience, and versatility is a very large one. And ones who fit that description often times aren't a viable option for QPR one reason or the other.

He comes off as a genuinely curious, intelligent, respectful individual and wish him nothing but the best.
Reggie Cannon on 13:53 - Sep 27 with 3142 viewsLandshark

Reggie Cannon on 12:17 - Sep 27 by Northernr

Belated bits and pieces

So he forced his way out of FC Dallas and then also forced his way out of Boavista (both times for legitimate reasons). He certainly seems very strong willed.
Reggie Cannon on 14:31 - Sep 27 with 3002 viewsderbyhoop

Judging by the write ups this looks to be an excellent signing. I guess we won't see him in the flesh for another 2-3 weeks. But, he fills a spot where we've needed somebody better than Kakay for some time.

It does mean that, for a club with no budget for transfers, paying in the lowest quartile, we've had a very good transfer window.

Gallen is right that we'd love another striker but unless he's got a spare £5m that won't go against FFP, it ain't going to happen this season.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Reggie Cannon on 14:49 - Sep 27 with 2942 viewsStainrod

Tend to agree. Transfer windows are a bit like budgets: ones that are praised on the day normally turn out to be catastrophic while ones that are criticised often turn out to be not entirely sh*t.

"At Last A Truly Tory Budget" purred the Daily Mail on the day of what quickly became known as the Truss-Kwartang omni-f*ck budget, being just one example.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2023 14:55]
Reggie Cannon on 14:58 - Sep 27 with 2905 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Reggie Cannon on 14:49 - Sep 27 by Stainrod

Tend to agree. Transfer windows are a bit like budgets: ones that are praised on the day normally turn out to be catastrophic while ones that are criticised often turn out to be not entirely sh*t.

"At Last A Truly Tory Budget" purred the Daily Mail on the day of what quickly became known as the Truss-Kwartang omni-f*ck budget, being just one example.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2023 14:55]

I get the point you are making.

But surely comparing the utopia espoused by the 'Daily Mail' to the Truss budget, with the boyishly enthused elements of the Rfosi since the Big Gun arrived bring in 'pace in our team', is like comparing the pathway set out in 'Mein Kampf' with Neville Chamberlain's forlorn effort at achieving 'peace in our time'?

Ahh, I see....

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!

Reggie Cannon on 15:01 - Sep 27 with 2895 viewskensalriser

Reggie Cannon on 09:11 - Sep 27 by BrianMcCarthy

Well, Cannon has been on our radar for two years, the club said, so he was spotted under Ferdinand's reign. And I think we spent some money on Smyth.

Overall, it seems like good business, I agree, but we're 17th and we have a team with far less resale value while mired in FFP problems, so I think it's too early for the bubbly. We've still only managed to bring one young player from the lower leagues despite Ainsworth and Dobson spending a decade down there, and Smyth has been here before.

As someone said on here recently, this time last year we thought we'd had a superb summer of recruitment as well. These things take time to fully assess.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we're 19th. Other clubs stole our place while we were sleeping.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Reggie Cannon on 15:51 - Sep 27 with 2761 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Reggie Cannon on 15:01 - Sep 27 by kensalriser

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we're 19th. Other clubs stole our place while we were sleeping.

Dammit!

We should play more games.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Reggie Cannon on 16:24 - Sep 27 with 2660 viewsHoopstar

Reggie Cannon on 13:33 - Sep 27 by CateLeBonR

Forthed

Petition to add this analysis and signing report to the canon of great Western literature!
Reggie Cannon on 17:02 - Sep 27 with 2523 viewsderbyhoop

Reggie Cannon on 13:42 - Sep 27 by CincyHoop

Seems like a sensible signing on paper with limited downside risk (4 yr deal, unknown wages). I would be curious as to what the range we think we might be paying him, on a 4 year deal. Hesitant to even ask the question in fear of this going down a speculative rabbit hole that will probably do nobody any good.

Not going to pretend to know the answer, but I can't imagine the pool of players who are in their mid twenties, with international experience, and versatility is a very large one. And ones who fit that description often times aren't a viable option for QPR one reason or the other.

He comes off as a genuinely curious, intelligent, respectful individual and wish him nothing but the best.

Football League World (clickbait, I know) claim our wage bill will be 6.5m. Based on figures from Capology with a huge disclaimer. I presume that is first team squad only and they also claim only 5 clubs have a lower wage bill. Millwall, Blackburn, Rotherham, Sunderland and Plymouth. That probably isnt far off.
They also claim Begovic is highest paid. On 32,500 per week. If we're paying anything near that I'd be amazed.

About the only credible claim is the one that we are in bottom 6 for wages.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Reggie Cannon on 23:31 - Sep 27 with 2158 viewsDorse

We should sign someone called CJ to boss him around. We didn't get where we are today by not bossing people around.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Reggie Cannon on 08:49 - Sep 28 with 1847 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Reggie Cannon on 23:31 - Sep 27 by Dorse

We should sign someone called CJ to boss him around. We didn't get where we are today by not bossing people around.

This thread has the potential to hit 11 pages!

Incredible to think, a right back is that close to generating such interest and attain mythical status before he's even kicked a ball.

I don't think the departures of SLF and Tony Pony combined hit 11 pages. We haven't so much signed a right back, we've potentially signed a legend in the making!

Reggie Cannon on 09:43 - Sep 28 with 1759 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

It feels like you're being negatively selective there.

We've gone from literally one of the worst form teams in the entire football league (only Forest Green were worse) to being a scrappy, hard-nosed team that's a LOT harder to beat. It's outright and genuinely enjoyable to watch - well it has been for me anyway.

We're only a handful of games removed from one of my least favourite QPR teams of my lifetime. A team I felt no connection with, which routinely capitulated both home and away and that was so rotten and ineffective an imminent relegation felt inevitable.

Since then the budget has plausibly halved - literally - yet we've become a team that can be genuinely hard to beat. We're a team I enjoy watching and one I feel duty bound to support once more.

I don't think anyone would want to declare this window an historic success that will turn us into world beaters but I for one did not foresee such a rapid turnaround of ethic and pride. That can be in no small part down to both the individuals we've recruited as well as their 'types'. You always have to be reactive to situations and though our situation is a million miles away from being ideal, I think GA and the club as a whole have reacted in the right way this summer and deserve enormous credit.

I'd also say right now that we're on an upward form curve rather than a downward one. You could argue it's the first time that has happened since the summer of 2021 - if you were to disregard last October as a bit of a positive blip.

Maybe I'm being short sighted but frankly I don't really care. I'm looking forward to QPR games again and enjoying them when I'm there. I'd have absolutely snapped your hand off for that back in April. or Even August.
Reggie Cannon on 10:23 - Sep 28 with 1605 viewsAntti_Heinola

Reggie Cannon on 09:43 - Sep 28 by Padulas_Shampoo

It feels like you're being negatively selective there.

We've gone from literally one of the worst form teams in the entire football league (only Forest Green were worse) to being a scrappy, hard-nosed team that's a LOT harder to beat. It's outright and genuinely enjoyable to watch - well it has been for me anyway.

We're only a handful of games removed from one of my least favourite QPR teams of my lifetime. A team I felt no connection with, which routinely capitulated both home and away and that was so rotten and ineffective an imminent relegation felt inevitable.

Since then the budget has plausibly halved - literally - yet we've become a team that can be genuinely hard to beat. We're a team I enjoy watching and one I feel duty bound to support once more.

I don't think anyone would want to declare this window an historic success that will turn us into world beaters but I for one did not foresee such a rapid turnaround of ethic and pride. That can be in no small part down to both the individuals we've recruited as well as their 'types'. You always have to be reactive to situations and though our situation is a million miles away from being ideal, I think GA and the club as a whole have reacted in the right way this summer and deserve enormous credit.

I'd also say right now that we're on an upward form curve rather than a downward one. You could argue it's the first time that has happened since the summer of 2021 - if you were to disregard last October as a bit of a positive blip.

Maybe I'm being short sighted but frankly I don't really care. I'm looking forward to QPR games again and enjoying them when I'm there. I'd have absolutely snapped your hand off for that back in April. or Even August.

I'm leaning more towards you, PS, but I'd argue you're being selectively positive. We are harder to beart (slightly), but that bar was so low we had to go below sea level to retrieve it. I think it's very early to be claiming that we're hard-nosed. The only decent sides we've played have beaten us, we're one of the few teams who couldn't beat Swansea, and we've had a right hammering in the mix.
However, my positivity is rising slightly to a position where I don't think we'll finish bottom, and survival is now a possibility. A month ago I thought we had no chance. fortunately, Sheff Wed look doomed already and Rotherham are Rotherham. Potentially we only need one more team to be a bit worse than us.
But, as Jamie Redknapp would say (over and over), make no mistake: this season will be an ugly struggle. Any other belief is based on hope rather than any real evidence to the contrary. We score very, very few and one big injury to Chair, Cook, Field, Begovic or Colback will have an insanely detrimental effect. That's a very precarious place to be.

Bare bones.

Reggie Cannon on 10:44 - Sep 28 with 1505 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Reggie Cannon on 10:23 - Sep 28 by Antti_Heinola

I'm leaning more towards you, PS, but I'd argue you're being selectively positive. We are harder to beart (slightly), but that bar was so low we had to go below sea level to retrieve it. I think it's very early to be claiming that we're hard-nosed. The only decent sides we've played have beaten us, we're one of the few teams who couldn't beat Swansea, and we've had a right hammering in the mix.
However, my positivity is rising slightly to a position where I don't think we'll finish bottom, and survival is now a possibility. A month ago I thought we had no chance. fortunately, Sheff Wed look doomed already and Rotherham are Rotherham. Potentially we only need one more team to be a bit worse than us.
But, as Jamie Redknapp would say (over and over), make no mistake: this season will be an ugly struggle. Any other belief is based on hope rather than any real evidence to the contrary. We score very, very few and one big injury to Chair, Cook, Field, Begovic or Colback will have an insanely detrimental effect. That's a very precarious place to be.

Don't disagree. Reality is probably rooted somewhere in between.

I would point out though that my positivity is based upon tangible output that I'm seeing on the pitch and in the stands, which to my mind is significantly better than the absolute degenerate nonsense we served up for months on end last season. Whereas the negativity includes someone being on a podcast.

I'd sooner be what we currently are than what we used to be. What better yardstick is there to judge our summer?
[Post edited 28 Sep 2023 11:12]
Reggie Cannon on 11:04 - Sep 28 with 1425 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Reggie Cannon on 10:44 - Sep 28 by Padulas_Shampoo

Don't disagree. Reality is probably rooted somewhere in between.

I would point out though that my positivity is based upon tangible output that I'm seeing on the pitch and in the stands, which to my mind is significantly better than the absolute degenerate nonsense we served up for months on end last season. Whereas the negativity includes someone being on a podcast.

I'd sooner be what we currently are than what we used to be. What better yardstick is there to judge our summer?
[Post edited 28 Sep 2023 11:12]

Bang on with both your last two posts. Anti H's reply valid too however, there comes a point in time where we all have to accept our situation and just have to get on with it.

However, if you never post another word Padula, then your last sentence says it all: we are a damn sight better off this side of the summer, then we were before the BBQ was brought out of the shed.

Dig up. Dig Down, Dig sideways. In many ways, it doesn't matter because the important thing is: that we keep digging on! At least it looks like we have got some blokes who want to dig too!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024