Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dykes 21:39 - Nov 4 with 40975 viewsstainrods_elbow

Really hope we can move him on in Jan and bring in one or two players who can really help the reshaped project, starting with breaking with years of tradition and actually investing in a striker who scores goals. He's going nowhere at QPR and just doesn't, and never will, cut the mustard. I'm afraid. He's a ram that doesn't batter, his buckle doesn't swash, and his goalscoring instincts are not so much predatory as borderline nugatory. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Millwall, say, came back in for him, he'd miraculously metamorphose into a 1 in 3 merchant who plays every week, but hopefully we'd by then be past caring. I don't want a player leading our line who scores the odd header from an occasional Chair cross but who seems mainly to care about playing for Scotland.

All being well, MC will have sussed this out in double-quick time and will be reshaping our attacking line with Smyth, Willock and Chair, and a new pivot.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2023 21:43]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Dykes on 23:40 - Nov 4 with 13584 viewsMonkey_Roots

Like playing with 10 men.
Dykes on 23:56 - Nov 4 with 13506 viewsBluce_Ree

Nugatory!

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Dykes on 00:27 - Nov 5 with 13454 viewsDannyPaddox

"
Dykes on 01:17 - Nov 5 with 13346 viewsParkRoyalR

The occasional Chair cross....seem to recall Charlie scoring 2 goals from those....Dykes biggest critics are those who rarely go to our games...a few months ago most agreed he was our most saleable asset...how about supporting our players, whether they cost £1m or £2m, I thought that's what's proper fans do, although half our fans got mugged off by CA, so no surprise really.
Dykes on 01:28 - Nov 5 with 13343 viewsHAYESBOY

Dykes on 00:27 - Nov 5 by DannyPaddox

"

He's not that bad.....................

Smells like a trout farm in here

Dykes on 03:39 - Nov 5 with 13236 viewsFredManRave

New manager with 3 trainging days and 1 whole game under his belt in early November.

And from what I've seen and heard, even at this early stage, I'm prepared to wait and see what his ideas are with regard to set up, style of play and use of players, before immediately asking that a player who gives a shite more than most on the pitch,even when things were Kieron, be sold in Jan.

Now's the time to sit back, relax and take in the inevitabe wholsesale changes that we're about to see over the coming weeks before making decisions on what our new incumbent should or shouldn't do with our players.

And I'm more than happy to sit back and watch and the trust his decision making in January.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Dykes on 07:06 - Nov 5 with 13102 viewsArcticHoop

i don´t mind him staying, i rather want another striker to have options up front
Dykes on 08:16 - Nov 5 with 12850 viewsHastings_Hoops

Dykes on 01:17 - Nov 5 by ParkRoyalR

The occasional Chair cross....seem to recall Charlie scoring 2 goals from those....Dykes biggest critics are those who rarely go to our games...a few months ago most agreed he was our most saleable asset...how about supporting our players, whether they cost £1m or £2m, I thought that's what's proper fans do, although half our fans got mugged off by CA, so no surprise really.

Agree with this.

A few more chair/Willock crosses onto his head would be a good start and a big help for Dykes.
Login to get fewer ads

Dykes on 08:33 - Nov 5 with 12781 viewsRangersw12

Been to loads of games and he's very very average and that's being kind

Why we didn't accept 2 million from Millwall is anyone's guess .

Main criticisms for me is that he's aways on his heels , never anctipates anything , always in the wrong place and misses easy chances .

I don't even think he works especially hard either and just does enough not to get stick .

Problem we have is he's all we've got so will always get my support plus his song is quality but he will never get the amount of goals that we need him to.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 8:34]
Dykes on 08:45 - Nov 5 with 12713 viewsgazza1

Come on PRR......he has been pretty poor this season, weak, poor to get into goalscoring positions, controlling the ball and much more. We must sign a forward who is better in the next transfer window. Easy to keep blaming Chair or whoever but Dykes has got to help himself.

As someone has said - why we never sold him for £2 million I will never be able to work out or understand.
Dykes on 08:47 - Nov 5 with 12723 viewsdavman

Dykes on 08:33 - Nov 5 by Rangersw12

Main criticisms for me is that he's aways on his heels , never anctipates anything , always in the wrong place and misses easy chances .

I don't even think he works especially hard either and just does enough not to get stick .

Problem we have is he's all we've got so will always get my support plus his song is quality but he will never get the amount of goals that we need him to.

Only TWO reasons we would not have taken two mill are 1. We have no-one else and 2. It was never on the table. Dykes is not, and never will be a goalscorer, he, like Armstrong, is on his heels in the box all the time. Give him a free header up to 10-12 yards out and he'll hit the target, ask him to attack a ball knocking defenders out of the way to get it, nope.

People will probably slag Kelman off for his miss yesterday, but he made a pro-active run in front of the defender to make that chance. Yes, Dykes did that for his ONE goal this season v Swansea, but once is not enough.

The best we have, but woeful as a "goalscorer".

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Dykes on 08:52 - Nov 5 with 12701 viewsQPROslo

Very often though we have looked a worse team without Dykes than with him, but he doesnt score the goals we need, never has really for us or anyone else. Ideally we need another striker to play with him but doubt we can afford a good one. Maybe the best solution will be if a Club is willing to pay decent money for him we could then replace him with a better goal scorer, but again that doesn't sound too likely. Hopefully Marti can develop Kelman, Armstrong, Dykes or someone he can pick up cheap into more prolific strikers than they are now. Would be some achievement!
Dykes on 08:55 - Nov 5 with 12662 viewsgazza1

Dykes on 08:47 - Nov 5 by davman

Only TWO reasons we would not have taken two mill are 1. We have no-one else and 2. It was never on the table. Dykes is not, and never will be a goalscorer, he, like Armstrong, is on his heels in the box all the time. Give him a free header up to 10-12 yards out and he'll hit the target, ask him to attack a ball knocking defenders out of the way to get it, nope.

People will probably slag Kelman off for his miss yesterday, but he made a pro-active run in front of the defender to make that chance. Yes, Dykes did that for his ONE goal this season v Swansea, but once is not enough.

I think we would have taken £2 million if it was on the table, if not then why wouldn't we have bitten their hands off?? Not so sure it was £2 million up front.
Dykes on 08:57 - Nov 5 with 12660 viewsLadbrokeR

His ground game isn’t very good and other teams often find him easy to play against. He looks like he cares but he’s never in the right place. Will he able to drop deeper and play a critical pass . I’m not expecting him to become Harry Kane but I think he’ll need to change his style and quickly.
Dykes on 09:21 - Nov 5 with 12574 viewsLoyalitat

Dykes on 08:47 - Nov 5 by davman

Totally agree.

The anticipation shown by Kelman to enable that opportunity from Chair's telling cross, is in stark contrast to Dykes' failure to connect with his head from another telling cross on the right earlier on in the second-half, which was a very presentable chance for him to either score or at least get some kind of connection to cause havoc in Rotherham's penalty box. Better centre forwards get their head on that ball regardless of whether there are defenders in their way and that's why they score more frequently than him. Ryan Hardie of Plymouth, playing at this level for the first time, immediately springs to mind.

The level they're playing at means that free headed chances are the exception not the rule, as the defenders are too good. Telling crosses are therefore at a premium at this level and need to either be scored or at least cause problems in the opposition's penalty area.

Kelman managed to do so with his one opportunity, Dykes didn't..
Dykes on 09:41 - Nov 5 with 12480 viewsswisscottage

well to buck the trend of the once a month Dykes slagging, I thought he played well yesterday. He he received, laid off, and linked play well. There's really weren't many opportunities for him to score, that I can recall, except for that one pearler of a cross from Smyth that he wasn't much more than a couple of centre metres getting his diving head onto, that no one else in the squad would have got near.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 9:51]
Dykes on 09:43 - Nov 5 with 12464 viewsderbyhoop

The big problem with the OP is the same as everything else with this club - MONEY;
If we were to sell Dykes we'd fetch 1-2m. Where do you get a prolific Chamionship level goalscorer for that money.

Sure, some sides have managed it, Piroe to Swansea comes to mind. But look at the teams at the top. Could we afford Iheanacho or Adam Armstrong or Darrel Dike or Tommy Cannon?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Dykes on 10:01 - Nov 5 with 12346 viewsLoyalitat

Dykes on 09:43 - Nov 5 by derbyhoop

The big problem with the OP is the same as everything else with this club - MONEY;
If we were to sell Dykes we'd fetch 1-2m. Where do you get a prolific Chamionship level goalscorer for that money.

Sure, some sides have managed it, Piroe to Swansea comes to mind. But look at the teams at the top. Could we afford Iheanacho or Adam Armstrong or Darrel Dike or Tommy Cannon?

Plymouth are managing to score goals regularly, 26 to date, with players who have hardly played at this level before this season. Their centre forward, Ryan Hardie with 6 goals already, is a case in point.

There are players out there and Plymouth are playing to the strengths of their personnel and are playing in a similar manner to last season in division one. All being achieved on a minuscule budget compared to nearly every other team in the Championship.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 10:18]
Dykes on 10:04 - Nov 5 with 12334 viewsDesertBoot

I watched the game yesterday primarily comparing Dykes with Hugill. We know a lot about the latter but his hold up play, physicality and overall menace in his role was stark contrast to Dykes who did very little and just could not control the ball.
It has been mentioned that Cifuentes often set up teams without a recognised centre forward/striker and I wonder if we’ll see that sooner rather than later.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 10:28]

Wish I could be like David Watts

Dykes on 10:15 - Nov 5 with 12301 viewsbosh67

I always think Dykes is a Zamora type second striker. Zamora had Austin alongside him which made it much easier in the end for him to be effective. We very rarely seem to put the ball on Dyke's head running into the area. That's what he is good at but we so rarely service that one thing he can do.

I also think that physically he was dangerously unwell and came back very quickly to help out but I don't think he's ever fully recovered and of course, even mentally, that kind of experience lingers with you.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Dykes on 10:15 - Nov 5 with 12291 viewshubble

In our best performances under Beale, Dykes did not start, and in some he didn't feature at all. If Marti can reignite the passion in players like Willock and Richards - and early signs are that he can - then we won't need to rely on Dykes anyway.

You could have a forward line of Chair, Willock and Richards, for example. Or even Chair, Willock and Dozzell, whose best game for us was away v Middlesbrough, where he was played in an attacking role.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Dykes on 10:30 - Nov 5 with 12209 viewsPlanetHonneywood

He's been here three seasons, and we're still debating whether he's any good or not.

This surely says it all, as does a comment further up about the ability of the Beautiful One to develop him. Dykes is 28, if he still needs developing, then I'd suggest it's a bit too late in the day for that.

Four things are certain with this guy for me: as a goalscorer he's woeful; he's not imposing: he's leaden footed; and he really can't play the lone striker role. Hopefully the algorithm used to unearth him has been ditched or refined...looks a wally with his tatts too!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Dykes on 10:32 - Nov 5 with 12188 viewspaulparker

Dykes is not good enough and is not consistent enough , we have seen this for over 3 seasons
I think we need to accept we are going down this year and I would move him on after the Euros with Scotland as he will be more of a saleable asset

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Dykes on 11:03 - Nov 5 with 12070 viewshubble

Dykes on 10:32 - Nov 5 by paulparker

Dykes is not good enough and is not consistent enough , we have seen this for over 3 seasons
I think we need to accept we are going down this year and I would move him on after the Euros with Scotland as he will be more of a saleable asset

Whoa, I don't think we're going down!

Like I said above, there are good options to play without a striker all together. I think Marti is going to keep us up.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Dykes on 11:11 - Nov 5 with 12035 viewsQPRConor2000

We definately need to use the loan market in January to make signings.

we still havent used all our five spots have we? so surely it makes sense to use them.

There will be some kind of mini-reshuffle come January imo.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024