Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 11:46 - Feb 25 with 9646 viewsNorthernr

Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 25th Feb 2024 11:43
Stan Bowles, widely seen as QPR’s greatest ever player, passed away on Saturday aged 75. Simon Dorset pays tribute... 21

Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 12:12 - Feb 25 with 5865 viewsRamseyR

Nicely written Simon. A fitting tribute.
Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 13:05 - Feb 25 with 5648 viewsBostonR

Wonderful reflection of his life in football . His hat-trick at Derby was sublime.
Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 13:51 - Feb 25 with 5465 viewsNoelmc

Thanks Simon. A lovely tribute to a wonderful footballer - my all-time favourite player

I count myself so lucky to have seen him play at QPR over seven glorious years.

Among my treasured possessions are a framed signed shirt of his and a signed copy of his very entertaining autobiography. I also met him on several occasions, including when I worked at White City greyhound track on the Tote during 1978-79. Always friendly with a great sense of humour and that wonderful glint in his eye.

He will be hugely missed. Condolences to all his family and friends. RIP Stan.
Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 14:07 - Feb 25 with 5393 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Beautifully done, Simon. Nailed it.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 14:08 - Feb 25 with 5386 viewsterryb

Thank you Simon.

Beautiful!
Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 14:25 - Feb 25 with 5304 viewsManinBlack

Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 13:05 - Feb 25 by BostonR

Wonderful reflection of his life in football . His hat-trick at Derby was sublime.

It was very regrettable that for the return, Sexton dropped Stan for whatever misdemeanour which must have been a huge boost to Derby after what he did to them at the Baseball ground. Predictably we could only draw in Stan's absence which proved to be a costly point dropped. Stan would have won that game for us. In my eyes dropping our best player against the defending champions was a poor move.

Anyway, I digress it is a good write up about Stan.
Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 14:43 - Feb 25 with 5217 viewsJules4367

A great tribute. We all have our memories and those who don't please just look at some old videos / DVDs/MP4s and experience what we did!

Saw him run rings around the hoops when playing for Carlisle the year before he joined us. Still have the programme of that game somewhere. He was special even then and my dad, my brother and I said we'd love him to play for us...and then he did !

The club has said it is too soon to announce their intent on remembering him and that IS of course fitting! We should mourn and in expressions of grief extend condolences to his friends and family.

But, when the time is considered right, surely a bronze plaque or statue and if they cannot afford it I would hope that some crowd funding enterprise may in due course.

A cheeky smile, a body swerve, penalty, the suspense as it was injury time, the ball in the net - that injury time, midweek penalty against Coventry and all the other tricks and swerves often leading to the cries resounding across West London of "Stan-ley, Stan-ley" and trips home with my dad and brother talking of his brilliance!

Memories to forever cherish! Thanks Stan! Forever: 10 out of 10 of any Number 10

For now though RIP Stan xxx
[Post edited 25 Feb 14:48]
Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 14:51 - Feb 25 with 5189 viewsCamberleyR

Brilliant tribute Simon, thank you.

The story about the fall out with Cloughie over John Robertson's testimonial just before the European Cup final is hugely ironic because with Forest's side at the bare bones in that final (check their bench in that game) he would certainly have taken some part.
[Post edited 25 Feb 15:40]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 14:59 - Feb 25 with 5098 viewsstainrods_elbow

Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 14:25 - Feb 25 by ManinBlack

It was very regrettable that for the return, Sexton dropped Stan for whatever misdemeanour which must have been a huge boost to Derby after what he did to them at the Baseball ground. Predictably we could only draw in Stan's absence which proved to be a costly point dropped. Stan would have won that game for us. In my eyes dropping our best player against the defending champions was a poor move.

Anyway, I digress it is a good write up about Stan.

Although it's worth pointing out that, even if we'd won that game 1-0, say, we'd still have been runners-up on GA by 0.004. However, if GD had been used, with the same result, we'd have ended up with the same GD as Liverpool, but would have pipped them with one more goal scored. It was truly an agonisingly tight finish - the margins couldn't have been finer if they'd have been made of feathers!

I think Stan also said somewhere that he felt it wasn't the infamous Norwich debacle where we lost it - it was the 0-0 draw at bottom club Sheff Utd.
[Post edited 25 Feb 15:00]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 15:04 - Feb 25 with 5115 viewsSteveB

I'm not crying you are...

A wonderful tribute. Thank you Simon.

My 1st season ticket was 1974/75, 7 years old sat in SAR with my Uncle Len & Uncle Charlie. What a time to be a Superhoop. Kept that seat for for many a year before moving to Upper Loft. So many memories, UEFA Cup nights, under lights - school in the morning. happiest of times.

RIP Stan, my hero.
Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 16:48 - Feb 25 with 4780 viewsCamberleyR

Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 14:59 - Feb 25 by stainrods_elbow

Although it's worth pointing out that, even if we'd won that game 1-0, say, we'd still have been runners-up on GA by 0.004. However, if GD had been used, with the same result, we'd have ended up with the same GD as Liverpool, but would have pipped them with one more goal scored. It was truly an agonisingly tight finish - the margins couldn't have been finer if they'd have been made of feathers!

I think Stan also said somewhere that he felt it wasn't the infamous Norwich debacle where we lost it - it was the 0-0 draw at bottom club Sheff Utd.

"I think Stan also said somewhere that he felt it wasn't the infamous Norwich debacle where we lost it - it was the 0-0 draw at bottom club Sheff Utd"

Apparently we absolutely murdered them that day. Sheffield United that season were epically bad, six wins from forty two all season, just four at home.

There was also a game against West Ham at Upton Park (NOT the Boleyn Ground ) which was brought forward to be played on FA Cup fourth round day as we had chalked up one of our usual third round defeats and defending champions West Ham had also lost. I believe that the game was originally scheduled to be at the end of the season.

We lost 1-0 to them and West Ham were also a bloody awful team that season ending up just two places above the drop zone (although we dropped three points against them). This was the game before we went on our run taking 23 points from 24 that ended at Norwich.

Our away record that season against the bottom six though was typical QPR. Just two draws and four defeats in the six games.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 17:28 - Feb 25 with 4640 viewswelwynranger

A story that sums up the man.
Told by Dave Thomas.
The Rs were playing away at Highury in an evening
fixture, they trained in the morning and were toldto come back later that afternoon.
Stan took 3 players back to his house to watch the racing.
A knock on pthe door and 2 men came in from the
finance company and took awaly the television because he had fallen behind with the payments.
This lead to his wife asking the club to pay his wages
to her so she could pay the bilks and keep tabs on the money.
Just give him a few quid at a time.

He played at Arsenal and scored.

God bless Sta
RIP
Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 17:48 - Feb 25 with 4587 viewsManinBlack

Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 14:59 - Feb 25 by stainrods_elbow

Indeed but I am not saying it is just the Derby game that cost us but pointing out that it was one game we dropped a point. Everybody looks at the Sheffield and Norwich games as where the league was lost because they were the only two games in the last 15 we didn't win. If we had the extra point from beating Derby than a point at Norwich would have done without having to win the game.

Weat Ham fans tell us how they won the World Cup in 66. On their logic you could argue they stopped us winning the league by taking 3 points off us that season and we couldn't score against them.

Despite how good we were we still lost away to the big clubs Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal and Leeds and we had a dodgy period in December around Christmas which is a familiar feeling. If we had the pitches then as Premiership clubs have now it would have been better for our style and we probably would not have dropped so many points in the winter.
[Post edited 25 Feb 17:50]
Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 18:29 - Feb 25 with 4481 viewsFG_R

A lovely tribute to Stan, thanks for speaking the thoughts of so many.

Number 9 on the video of his top 10 goals will always be my favourite and the one I will remember him for the most. Rangers had been 2-0 up against Newcastle but Bobby Moncur equalised to 2-2 in the 89th minute. As you can imagine the Rangers fans were feeling pretty down at that point - and so Stan’s 90th minute winner sent us all home delirious.

We were standing at the School End almost in line with his shot and I still vividly remember the curl he managed to put on the ball to beat Liam McFaul at the far post.
Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 18:45 - Feb 25 with 4408 viewsmart_Goblin

Lovely piece on such a sad sad day for our club
Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 18:52 - Feb 25 with 4380 viewsngbqpr

Cheers Simon.

"That's there, that's two - that's Bowles."

My favourite ever piece of Rangers commentary.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 18:53 - Feb 25 with 4369 viewsdaveB

Brilliant tribute, well done Simon
Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 19:15 - Feb 25 with 4282 viewsChrisNW6

Thanks Clive and Simon, a great tribute.

The My Way montage, got me again 😪
Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 20:21 - Feb 25 with 4068 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Beautiful tribute to a wonderful player, one who I suspect we'll not see the likes of again in our lifetimes. RIP Stanley.
Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 21:17 - Feb 25 with 3916 viewsquickpassrotter

Thank you Simon. So well written.
Stan put an adrenalin into you that stayed with you for days after you left Loftus Road on match days. Stan's brilliant consistency, game in game out, was outstanding. When did he ever have a bad game? In fact the complete reverse, he always had ever outstanding matches. Phenomenal
Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 22:31 - Feb 25 with 3765 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Fantastic read and tribute. Many thanks Si.
Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 23:11 - Feb 25 with 3686 viewsbosh67

Lovely tribute Simon.

Nice to see MOTD finish with a tribute to Stan as well just now.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 10:09 - Feb 26 with 3202 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 23:11 - Feb 25 by bosh67

Lovely tribute Simon.

Nice to see MOTD finish with a tribute to Stan as well just now.

Was that MOTD2 Bosh?
Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 10:10 - Feb 26 with 3201 viewsWalnut

Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 10:09 - Feb 26 by CroydonCaptJack

Was that MOTD2 Bosh?

It was, nice tribute at the end of the show
Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 10:18 - Feb 26 with 3179 viewsdaveB

Stan Bowles – 1948-2024 on 10:10 - Feb 26 by Walnut

It was, nice tribute at the end of the show

They did a small pieces on Saturdays show as well
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024