Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Frey 04:29 - Mar 7 with 5854 viewskarlski

Really feel for him. Bad contact on the penalty which is unforgivable. Could have been a heroic moment in front of the Loft, and you felt if we’d scored then we would have gone on to win (we should have won ten times over - what a game!). Personally thought (hoped) Anderson or Chair would take it.

But much to like otherwise, in my book. He is so single minded about getting in the box and into threatening positions. It’s his reaction from 30 yards away that creates the first goal. Many times I saw him get across his man even when the ball didn’t arrive. And relentless energy closing down and hustling, all game long. Fitness clearly improving which doesn’t happen by accident.

I think he will make a few key contributions in the run in. Hope is confidence isn’t shook. We need him, Dykes, and Armstrong to all chip in.
Frey on 05:59 - Mar 7 with 3707 viewsnix

I agree with that. He didn't stop working the whole time and won the ball back a number of times with his pressing.

Real shame about the penalty but he won the ball back in the box for the first goal by his pressing in the penalty area and was an absolute PITA the entire match for the WBA defence.

We were desperately unlucky not to win that, and even the majority of the WB fans say that, and even that we're the best team they've played this season. It'll come for him. He's still not quite there yet but I think he'll have at least some matches this season where he scores some vital goals.
Frey on 06:52 - Mar 7 with 3583 viewshoops_legend

Did Marti give him the penalty to get him going for the season? Personally I would have had someone else take it… who is our penalty taker? chair?
Frey on 07:00 - Mar 7 with 3552 viewsMalintabuk

Frey on 06:52 - Mar 7 by hoops_legend

Did Marti give him the penalty to get him going for the season? Personally I would have had someone else take it… who is our penalty taker? chair?

It's normally Dykes when he is on the pitch.
I'm still on the fence with Frey, he hasn't played a great deal, what 2 starts, but he does work hard. I thought for our first goal he dived but I was in SA Road so might be doing him an injustice there.
Hopefully if he gets a few starts he will come good. I wonder if he took penalties for his former clubs?
Frey on 07:01 - Mar 7 with 3532 viewsMetallica_Hoop

A couple of the Baggies fans on the link someone posted liked the look of him.
I thought he'd tire but no; boom, running right up to the death (though we looked heavy for the last 5) a real handful and always looking to get in the right spot.

As soon as I saw the stutter on the penalty I thought he'd miss it. Did well overall though, I thought; getting better and better.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Frey on 08:20 - Mar 7 with 3200 viewsRangersw12

What was his goal disallowed for was it offside or a foul ?

Having seen the pen back it wasn't as bad as it seemed in the ground and was a decent save .

Thought he worked very hard and got into positions that other strikers wouldn't have .
Frey on 08:33 - Mar 7 with 3125 viewsgazza1

Done OK last night, shuts players down very well indeed - he actually makes it difficult for the opposition.

Got to score the penalty, no questions.....probably cost us 3 points.
Frey on 08:46 - Mar 7 with 3078 viewsTheChef

Frey on 08:20 - Mar 7 by Rangersw12

Having seen the pen back it wasn't as bad as it seemed in the ground and was a decent save .

Thought he worked very hard and got into positions that other strikers wouldn't have .

Ref called it offside (rather than the lino which was a bit odd - but hey the officials were crap all night).

First time I'd seen Frey in the flesh and he put in an excellent shift - winning headers, linking play and far better anticipation than Dykes. Shame about the penalty but hey ho.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Frey on 08:49 - Mar 7 with 3041 viewslassel

Frey on 08:20 - Mar 7 by Rangersw12

Was called a foul when the defender ducked down for the ball that got flicked on to him.

Whilst had gone before the ball even got to Frey.
Login to get fewer ads

Frey on 08:58 - Mar 7 with 2986 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Frey on 08:49 - Mar 7 by lassel

Was called a foul when the defender ducked down for the ball that got flicked on to him.

Whilst had gone before the ball even got to Frey.

I actually think the ref called it for high feet, then saw the flag and thought "ya, let's call it offside instead".

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Frey on 09:06 - Mar 7 with 2916 viewsBluce_Ree

Two things about penalties. Don't f**k about and don't put it low.

If you put a penalty low, the keeper has a 50/50 chance of getting it. It's the shit that England players often do. It's a coward's penalty.

If I'm Marti, I do a session on penalties and whatever guy fking blats it into the top corner, he's my guy. The old Zona Del Piero. Basically unsaveable.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Frey on 09:09 - Mar 7 with 2894 viewsbosh67

He somewhat telegraphed where he was going to put it but he's a big, ugly old style centre forward and kind of what we need at the moment. Considering we have no money and seemed to have zero options I am very glad we have a player like this because we've really needed a unit that puts themselves about up front.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Frey on 09:16 - Mar 7 with 2861 viewsAntti_Heinola

Message to the OP:
I forgave him about 30 seconds after the peno.
It happens.

Bare bones.

Frey on 09:19 - Mar 7 with 2823 viewsjoe90

I was impressed, his head didn't drop after the penalty miss, if anything he stepped up a gear despite clearly being knackered. Can only see him improving.
Frey on 09:24 - Mar 7 with 2780 viewsCamberleyR

I thought the way he was running up, he was going to 'Julian Dicks' it into the roof of the net.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Frey on 09:34 - Mar 7 with 2728 viewsrobith

It's so annoying he missed the pen because otherwise I thought he was absolutely fantastic
Frey on 09:39 - Mar 7 with 2702 viewsBAWHoops

He has real Main Character Energy

- Pounced on the keeper spill (cutting their head open in the process) and went down like a dying elephant
- Missed a great headed chance end of firsat half
- Missed a penalty
- Hit the post before our second goal

A mentalist

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Frey on 09:42 - Mar 7 with 2664 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Frey on 09:39 - Mar 7 by BAWHoops

He has real Main Character Energy

- Pounced on the keeper spill (cutting their head open in the process) and went down like a dying elephant
- Missed a great headed chance end of firsat half
- Missed a penalty
- Hit the post before our second goal

A mentalist

"- Hit the post before our second goal"

BAW, do you mean the header that came off the drossbar and rebounded for Field to nod home?

If so, it was Dunne who headed that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Frey on 10:56 - Mar 7 with 2426 viewsWegerles_Stairs

The irony is that Dykes would have buried it.

Anyone can miss a penalty. Love his effort and running. Gives us an option we haven't had for a while.
Frey on 11:02 - Mar 7 with 2393 viewsfrancisbowles

Amazed at how his fitness has improved from that heavy 13 minute run out at Blackburn, about five weeks back, to keeping going for the full 90 last night.
Frey on 11:21 - Mar 7 with 2279 viewsLongsufferingR

As with others above, I'd let the penalty miss go very soon afterwards. I thought he had an excellent game all round, winning headers, flick ons, and the number of times he robbed their players of ball was outstanding. From a position where we had nothing up front to now having Frey, Dykes and Armstrong all being used intelligently by MC and getting the best out of them, well, what a turnaround.
Frey on 12:01 - Mar 7 with 2168 viewsBrazilNutR

Thought he did well, although was surprised that Marti didn'r give Armstrong some minutes towards the end, the striker who scored the winner with his first touch last game against the top team, imagine he is buzzing, and always good to keep confident players playing... Unless he plans to start Armstrong next game.
Frey on 12:21 - Mar 7 with 2071 viewsnick_hammersmith

When did we start calling a save a missed penalty?
I always thought a miss, was a shot off target, like Kerry Dixon's
Frey on 12:22 - Mar 7 with 2062 viewsbosh67

Frey on 12:01 - Mar 7 by BrazilNutR

Thought he did well, although was surprised that Marti didn'r give Armstrong some minutes towards the end, the striker who scored the winner with his first touch last game against the top team, imagine he is buzzing, and always good to keep confident players playing... Unless he plans to start Armstrong next game.

Armstrong tends to suffer with muscle fatigue so perhaps the policy was to rest him so he can take a more active part against Boro.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Frey on 13:17 - Mar 7 with 1906 viewskarlski

Frey on 09:16 - Mar 7 by Antti_Heinola

Message to the OP:
I forgave him about 30 seconds after the peno.
It happens.

‘unforgivable’ was probably a bit harsh. I specifically meant bad contact with the ball from a penalty, rather than it being saved: if you hit it well and keeper makes a good save or it comes back off the inside of the post, fair enough it happens. This one wasn’t hit particularly well, which I think is table stakes if you’re going to take a pen.

But I’m being a bit pedantic really. I did indeed forgive him soon after and was willing him to get the winner! As another poster said, annoyed on his behalf that he missed it because otherwise i thought he was great. He’s got a great attitude so think he’ll be fine.

On the first goal, did perhaps look like he went down easily but excellent anticipation/ instinct to be there in first place and I think the contact was keeper’s head to his leg? Can’t figure out how else the keeper got the whack on his head that required bandaging…
Frey on 13:17 - Mar 7 with 1895 viewsstainrods_elbow

Frey on 09:06 - Mar 7 by Bluce_Ree

Two things about penalties. Don't f**k about and don't put it low.

If you put a penalty low, the keeper has a 50/50 chance of getting it. It's the shit that England players often do. It's a coward's penalty.

If I'm Marti, I do a session on penalties and whatever guy fking blats it into the top corner, he's my guy. The old Zona Del Piero. Basically unsaveable.

Do you play football? If a penalty is struck hard and low into the corner pocket, it's virtually unsaveable. Frey's pen was low, but not hard, and too close to the keeper, so he made it far too easy on at least two counts.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024