Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New England Kit 22:02 - Mar 16 with 15445 viewsGloucs_R

How can Nike get it wrong so many times...

Away kit..

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2023/08/nike-england-euro-2024-away-kit-predictio

Poll: Are we staying up?

New England Kit on 15:51 - Mar 25 with 1732 viewsDiscodroids

New England Kit on 12:01 - Mar 25 by Juzzie

the striping looks red, white & blue. When viewed from a distance the red & blue probably blend to look purple but there is no actual purple on the training top.

[Post edited 25 Mar 12:18]

We're through the looking glass here people.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

New England Kit on 16:02 - Mar 25 with 1676 viewsJuzzie

New England Kit on 14:42 - Mar 25 by saxbend

Nike are responsible for the worst QPR kits ever. No surprise that their work here is subpar. But blimey the tabloids have gone overboard reacting to the flag on the collar.

Imagine complaining about altering the England flag and pretending that the majority of England fans think that's an outrage, when England fans have a tradition of displaying altered England flags with the name of the country written across the middle to aid some presumably easily-confused people somewhere on the planet.

Get over it Mail and Sun. It's just a disappointing kit design from a company famous for exactly that. Most England fans already have.

I don't think the Mail & Sun probably care.... their job is to sensationalise in order to sell papers/get click-bait for advertising.
New England Kit on 16:03 - Mar 25 with 1656 viewsSheffieldHoop

New England Kit on 15:03 - Mar 23 by loftboy

My Mrs has a German mum and her Dad was Indian, she was born in Watford , has a German passport as well as her British one and love her Indian heritage.

And is she English, or Indian-German-British? And who gets to decide that? That was the point of my post, sorry if it wasn't clear
[Post edited 25 Mar 16:07]

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

New England Kit on 17:17 - Mar 25 with 1527 viewsTheChef

New England Kit on 16:03 - Mar 25 by SheffieldHoop

And is she English, or Indian-German-British? And who gets to decide that? That was the point of my post, sorry if it wasn't clear
[Post edited 25 Mar 16:07]

She's human.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

New England Kit on 17:20 - Mar 25 with 1502 viewsSheffieldHoop

New England Kit on 17:17 - Mar 25 by TheChef

She's human.

Funny. But incorrect.

She's as English as you mate, any suggestion otherwise and we all know what that makes you.
[Post edited 25 Mar 17:22]

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

New England Kit on 17:30 - Mar 25 with 1494 viewsdaveB

New England Kit on 15:27 - Mar 25 by joe90

It’s just a bad design feature, nothing more. When people complain about it, they’re not expressing national pride, they’re just complaining. We live in a diverse, regionalised nation, we don’t have unifying national symbols. That is a fact. We may have occasions when we come together, like a football tournament but we’re not united behind one flag.

As I’ve said before, the England flag does not have positive connotations. You may disagree with that, but it’s not a classy symbol. I think the point you’re missing is that this flag waving jingoism is not a positive or unifying expression of national pride.

Out of interest, how do you feel about players not wanting to sing the national anthem, and do you get as annoyed when the EDL march with England flags or are they showing an appropriate amount of national pride? 🤔
[Post edited 25 Mar 15:51]

I'm fine if people don't want to sing the national anthem, that's a choice just as it's a choice whether you feel pride in the flag and what it represents or if like you the flag makes you uncomfortable and you don't like what it represents then equally thats fine too, people have different feelings about national symbols which is healthy imo

I'm not sure what EDL marches have to do with anything really, i can't say I've followed them too closely too feel anything about them other than I understand some people in this country are arseholes and I don't agree with their viewpoint but I'm not sure what that has to do with Nike re designing the flag whether you like the thing or not

Putting it a different way if the English flag was a design you liked and one you felt pride in how would you feel about them changing it to something you didn't like?
New England Kit on 17:32 - Mar 25 with 1486 viewsjoe90

New England Kit on 15:50 - Mar 25 by Discodroids

please educate us high sensei. We Far right, EDL, inarticulate, insecure, ugly /boring untermensch turn to you for nourishment like the lupin turns to the sun each morning.

I award you IIpon for the most patronising post ever commited to Loft for words since Clive first seeded the salted earth of the internet with it.
[Post edited 25 Mar 15:53]

Thank you, I gladly accept. Someone has to talk some sense and if it has to be me, so be it.
New England Kit on 17:52 - Mar 25 with 1461 viewsDiscodroids

New England Kit on 17:32 - Mar 25 by joe90

Thank you, I gladly accept. Someone has to talk some sense and if it has to be me, so be it.

nm
[Post edited 25 Mar 18:01]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Login to get fewer ads

New England Kit on 17:57 - Mar 25 with 1445 viewsjoe90

New England Kit on 17:30 - Mar 25 by daveB

I'm fine if people don't want to sing the national anthem, that's a choice just as it's a choice whether you feel pride in the flag and what it represents or if like you the flag makes you uncomfortable and you don't like what it represents then equally thats fine too, people have different feelings about national symbols which is healthy imo

I'm not sure what EDL marches have to do with anything really, i can't say I've followed them too closely too feel anything about them other than I understand some people in this country are arseholes and I don't agree with their viewpoint but I'm not sure what that has to do with Nike re designing the flag whether you like the thing or not

Putting it a different way if the English flag was a design you liked and one you felt pride in how would you feel about them changing it to something you didn't like?

We see this very differently and I don’t think either of us are any closer to understanding the others point of view.

Hopefully the next England kit will be better.
[Post edited 25 Mar 18:21]
New England Kit on 17:58 - Mar 25 with 1439 viewsDiscodroids

New England Kit on 17:57 - Mar 25 by joe90

We see this very differently and I don’t think either of us are any closer to understanding the others point of view.

Hopefully the next England kit will be better.
[Post edited 25 Mar 18:21]

[Post edited 26 Mar 16:34]

New England Kit on 19:51 - Mar 25 with 1341 viewssaxbend

New England Kit on 16:02 - Mar 25 by Juzzie

I don't think the Mail & Sun probably care.... their job is to sensationalise in order to sell papers/get click-bait for advertising.

You are of course correct. They are however pretending to care and pretending that the majority of England fans care a lot. So they can bloody well pretend to get over it.
New England Kit on 21:05 - Mar 25 with 1216 viewsJuzzie

New England Kit on 19:51 - Mar 25 by saxbend

You are of course correct. They are however pretending to care and pretending that the majority of England fans care a lot. So they can bloody well pretend to get over it.

Their getting over it will amazingly coincide with a drop in public interest (i.e. sales)
New England Kit on 21:30 - Mar 25 with 1165 viewsDannyPaddox

It wasn’t popular with the squad as a whole but England definitely had a purple training kit in 1966. Nobby Stiles thought it “too ostentatious” Jackie Charlton said only “It’s fookin purple!” But there was one squad member who loved it and that was Bobby Moore.

New England Kit on 23:30 - Mar 25 with 1055 viewsNorthernr

Nike make sht, overpriced football kits. Day 8?
New England Kit on 09:27 - Mar 26 with 894 viewsEastR

New England Kit on 23:30 - Mar 25 by Northernr

Nike make sht, overpriced football kits. Day 8?

IBS, no not that one

International Break Syndrome

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

New England Kit on 09:55 - Mar 26 with 829 viewsR_from_afar

The fundamental principle Nike has failed to grasp is that nations' flags are not like brands. The designs of such flags very rarely change, usually only when a nation adds to their territory, loses some or all of it or it is split up.

There's bound to be an exception which proves the rule but national flags aren't subject to changes due to marketing or branding campaigns, at least, not normally.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

New England Kit on 10:15 - Mar 26 with 771 viewsMrSheen

New England Kit on 21:30 - Mar 25 by DannyPaddox

It wasn’t popular with the squad as a whole but England definitely had a purple training kit in 1966. Nobby Stiles thought it “too ostentatious” Jackie Charlton said only “It’s fookin purple!” But there was one squad member who loved it and that was Bobby Moore.

Are you sure that's not Lady Penelope?
New England Kit on 10:51 - Mar 26 with 725 viewsMrSheen

New England Kit on 09:55 - Mar 26 by R_from_afar

The fundamental principle Nike has failed to grasp is that nations' flags are not like brands. The designs of such flags very rarely change, usually only when a nation adds to their territory, loses some or all of it or it is split up.

There's bound to be an exception which proves the rule but national flags aren't subject to changes due to marketing or branding campaigns, at least, not normally.

Some flags represent a constitutional order, instead of/in addition to an idea of a nation and/or people and so can be considered a form of rebranding . So the French tricolour stands for revolutionary republicanism not the lillies of the monarchy, the German flag was based on the 1848 banner of federation rather than the red, white and black of Empire. Ireland’s tricolour can be seen as a call for a secular future identity, rather than tying nation to blood or religion . England, Scotland and Wales have flags that are much more ancient and remote and in a way stand for a feeling more than a political idea.

Not sure where this gets anyone!

Doh! Missed an obvious example of a flag representing a rebranded constitutional order - the Union Jack. Weirdly I feel nothing towards that but identity with the more mystical England flag despite the fact that my ancestral connection with here goes back no further than 1937 (when Grandad Murphy got off the boat train at Euston).
[Post edited 26 Mar 12:12]
New England Kit on 12:32 - Mar 26 with 619 viewsTomS

Nailed it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/picture/2024/mar/26/david-squires-on-englan
New England Kit on 18:52 - Mar 26 with 447 viewsJustJules

Interesting article here about the close links between Umbro and Adidas back in the day and how Umbro dominated the kit market at one time. I also found out how Umbro got their name.
Must...get...out...more...

https://urbanpitch.com/adidas-umbro-connection-history/
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024