Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dykes at Euros Reflection 23:23 - Jun 22 with 6407 viewsEmpireStateRanger

So not the most prolific performance from Lyndon, and it seems the Scots on social media were none too pleased with his output, but how do we view it?

Personally entered the tournament thinking he’d struggle a bit to perform, similar to his first few months with Rangers as he adjusted to the step up in play. But I wasn’t totally discouraged.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 23:41 - Jun 22 with 4744 viewslightwaterhoop

Completely out of his depth in a average side but thats no big disgrace as this is a very very top quality tournament.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 00:24 - Jun 23 with 4636 viewsVancouverHoop

I agree. He looked very much like the pre-Christmas Dykes we were hoping to never witness again.

He doesn't, at present, have the ability to create his own chances and that might be a long-term problem. He barely touched the ball in today's match, which doesn't bode well, because Austin won't be around to help forever.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 03:43 - Jun 23 with 4506 viewsjoolsyp

Didn’t help that the service he received was poor but as noted above he rarely makes his own chances. I thought his best game was against England. Today against Croatia he really struggled, didn’t affect the game at all, struggled to hold the ball up when he did receive it and his first touch was non-existent a couple of times (once after losing it he appeared to feign injury).

However, he would have learned loads from this experience and will continue to develop over the summer and next season playing with Charlie. I don’t think he’ll ever be an Ollie Watkins or Ivan Toney but he’s ours, I love him to bits and I’ll support him until we sell him for £7 million to a lower Prem side ;-)
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 05:56 - Jun 23 with 4410 viewsVancouverHoop

He oozes potential, no question. And, it's also true the Scottish midfield wasn't giving either of their strikers anything to feed off. He'll do better for us for sure, but how much, and how long it'll take him to fulfill our hopes remains to be seen.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 06:58 - Jun 23 with 4318 viewsdmm

I agree with what's been said but would just add the positive that he doesn't lose confidence when things aren't going right for him. As we saw at the turn of the year, just keeping going means he can break through to another level.

I've wondered what he'd be like in a big man/little man pairing. You don't see that much these days. Perhaps in time Kelman could provide the little man foil for him.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 07:23 - Jun 23 with 4240 viewsPaddyhoops

He's a championship striker and it showed at times.
He'll do for us though and if he recreates his late season form he'll be a huge asset for us.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 07:31 - Jun 23 with 4206 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Didn't see last night's Scotland game but I thought he was impressive against England and ok against Czech Republic. Would have been nice if he scored a goal, naturally, but overall, I think his reputation in the game and his value will have increased. I think we cam reasonably expect both to continue upwards,

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dykes at Euros Reflection on 07:34 - Jun 23 with 4192 viewsnix

Dykes at Euros Reflection on 05:56 - Jun 23 by VancouverHoop

He oozes potential, no question. And, it's also true the Scottish midfield wasn't giving either of their strikers anything to feed off. He'll do better for us for sure, but how much, and how long it'll take him to fulfill our hopes remains to be seen.

I thought the service last night was woeful. Not just to Lyndon but also to Adams. Between Nisbet, Dykes and Adams there was one shot on target and one shot off target. That says a lot about how much opportunity they had to score. The corners went over their heads every single time. They were too slow releasing the ball.

It's interesting that we're comparing him to the before Christmas Dykes, because I think that it was like QPR without either Austin or Johansen. Several times one of the forwards made a run and the winger or midfielder either made a tame shot themselves, gave the ball away (Stuart Armstrong every single time) or took a touch too many a la BOS/Chair, allowing the defender time to get back.

Interestingly he did three key passes, whereas the five man midfield, including the wingbacks managed four between them.

I don't think we've unearthed the Scottish Aguero admittedly, but it was a pioor performance from the Scots. One thing we know about Lyndon is that he works tirelessly off the ball, working to get it back, trying to link play, helping out in defence. The main thing he could have done last night was occasionally gamble. A couple of times there was a half decent ball in and he didn't run as it was played, he waited until it landed, which was fractionally too late. But overall, he equipped himself as well as many of the rest of the team, which is fair enough, given that he's a Championship player with no academy education, and one season"s experience at that level.
Login to get fewer ads

Dykes at Euros Reflection on 07:45 - Jun 23 with 4162 viewsstevec

One thing we have to accept, he’s never going to improve beyond what we’ve already seen.

I do like him, want him to prove doubters like me completely wrong, but I suspect he’s not got beyond Xmas as a first teamer here.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 07:45 - Jun 23 with 4164 viewsEastR

Except for potentially adding to his sell on value or picking up a pre season injury it doesn't really matter how he did.
He was playing in a team that is one of 8 out of 24 not too progress and scored one goal between them.
He's proved with us that in the right system and given the service he can take his chances, and create opportunities for others.
I hope he has a good rest now and comes back to us picking up where he left off at the end of the season.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Dykes at Euros Reflection on 07:57 - Jun 23 with 4114 viewsozexile

Dykes at Euros Reflection on 07:45 - Jun 23 by stevec

One thing we have to accept, he’s never going to improve beyond what we’ve already seen.

I do like him, want him to prove doubters like me completely wrong, but I suspect he’s not got beyond Xmas as a first teamer here.

Seeing as we've got zero cash I think he'll definitely be playing after Xmas, and I think he'll deserve to.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 08:02 - Jun 23 with 4101 viewsBazzeR

Don’t think Lyndon Dykes will ever be a 1 goal in 2 game striker that Scotland needed.that responsibility was on the shoulders of Che Adams

What he can improve on is his anticipation and movement in the penalty area.

At this present time he’s a good fit for our set up and thats enough for me.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 08:12 - Jun 23 with 4059 viewsToast_R

He looks like what he is. An athletic player added for nuisance value and if he can score a few, its a bonus.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 08:21 - Jun 23 with 4031 viewsflynnbo

But apparently they’ve got this world beating youngster called Billy Gilmour who would have marked Modric out of the game and he was the reason why they lost. And the evidence for this is the one game he has started which was against England. Hmm…
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 08:36 - Jun 23 with 3980 viewsrsonist

Went about as well as that time we packed Luongo off to the World Cup and plugged the fax machine in.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 09:06 - Jun 23 with 3850 viewsstevec

Dykes at Euros Reflection on 08:36 - Jun 23 by rsonist

Went about as well as that time we packed Luongo off to the World Cup and plugged the fax machine in.

Set me thinking, how many of our great sides never took part in a World Cup or Euros finals?

Gerry Francis immediately springs to mind.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 09:30 - Jun 23 with 3758 viewsBklynRanger

Dykes at Euros Reflection on 08:21 - Jun 23 by flynnbo

But apparently they’ve got this world beating youngster called Billy Gilmour who would have marked Modric out of the game and he was the reason why they lost. And the evidence for this is the one game he has started which was against England. Hmm…

I think they might have at least had the confidence to try to play through the midfield a bit more if he'd been available. Last night what they wanted was for Lyndon to be a Helguson, which he just isn't.

His last act of the tournament was to throw his hands up at a final, 94th minute cross that didn't get anywhere near him, and I think overall he will have found it frustrating in large parts, but good experience of course. He's probably still dreaming about that missed chance against England.

I hope he doesn't suffer too much social media shyte today when a 30 second google will demonstrate to the assailant that he's still very much learning the game.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 09:50 - Jun 23 with 3687 viewsRs_Holy

Dykes at Euros Reflection on 08:02 - Jun 23 by BazzeR

Don’t think Lyndon Dykes will ever be a 1 goal in 2 game striker that Scotland needed.that responsibility was on the shoulders of Che Adams

What he can improve on is his anticipation and movement in the penalty area.

At this present time he’s a good fit for our set up and thats enough for me.

agree .. he will never be prolific but can still be a pain in the backside for oppo defenses if he is physical and puts himself about a bit.
Could be a good foil for a fox in the box type striker. Continue improving his hold up play and work on his link up play and could be a big asset.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 09:57 - Jun 23 with 3659 viewsbosh67

Almost completely starved of service and just made to do donkey work. QPR are a much better 'team' than the current Scotland one. He'll be fine.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Dykes at Euros Reflection on 11:31 - Jun 23 with 3505 viewsslmrstid

I think ultimately as a club we should be proud that despite being in the second tier, we've sent two players to a major international tournament this summer.

Albeit one in Hamalainen has never got on the pitch, and Dykes played 3 without scoring. But he's a second division striker coming up against some top class international top flight players.

I'm sure he's disappointed at going out, but has loved playing at that level, will be proud of his achievement in getting to that level, and will be coming back with a burning desire to keep trying to improve and get to that higher level at club football, which will only benefit us.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 12:02 - Jun 23 with 3395 viewsTacticalR

Agree with VancouverHoop that Dykes doesn't create his own chances. We can't expect him to be what he's not.

He needs service, in particular crosses along the ground or in the air. Like Matt Smith he needs everything to be in front of him. Scotland didn't provide that, plus opposition teams tended to have more men around him in the box.

Once he got going for us at the end of last season he looked a lot more relaxed and his hold-up play and control got better. If he could have got a goal early on in the tournament I think that would have helped him.

Air hostess clique

Dykes at Euros Reflection on 13:50 - Jun 23 with 3178 viewsMyke

I think every time you play against better players it should improve you as a player, even if you don't play well in that particular game. Dykes has shown plenty of evidence of improvement since he has arrived at QPR. I'm pretty sure he knows what he needs to do to get even better. How much 'better' than he currently is will he eventually become, only time will tell. But I am relaxed and confident about the contribution he will make to us next season.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 14:03 - Jun 23 with 3137 viewsAshdown_Ranger

Watched the Scotland game last night in preference to England, just to see how Dykes did.

Hardly a spectacular performance, but he put himself about, didn't shy away from challenges and got a few decent passes (both head and feet).

What was very noticeable was that neither he or Adams closed down defenders as they brought the ball out from the back -virtually no pressing at all.

It did look a bit lazy/lethargic, and I wonder if that was under instruction from Steve Clarke, perhaps to preserve energy.

But as others have said, the supply to the forwards was appalling all night and frankly, the Scots just got turned over by a very good team.

I've no worries about Dykes next season, I think he'll continue to learn and develop under Charlie's wing - and with Bonne and Kelman snapping at his heels for a starting place.

And if he'd scored 5 goals at the Euros, we'd all be worried someone was going to snap him up for £5m...
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 14:05 - Jun 23 with 3137 viewsdaveB

I thought he did OK, hold play was decent bit unlucky not to score against England
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 14:14 - Jun 23 with 3100 viewsphilc

Dykes looked exactly what he is, a Championship level forward and I don’t think that he could be expected to do anymore.

If he regularly played in the Champions League and put that level of performance in, then I could accept the criticism. Thinking of you Kane.

With Gilmore, who knows if he would have made a difference, what I don’t understand is how England had two players unavailable due to close contact, but not one of the Scotland squad.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024