Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sack Southgate! 18:45 - Oct 8 with 4503 viewsconnell10

Now we have qualified I feel the fa should sack Southgate! Harsh but fair I feel!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Sack Southgate! on 19:37 - Oct 8 with 3200 viewsWatford_Ranger

Let the bloke fail first. Who would you suggest he's replaced with?

We've not played anyone but got eight wins and two draws.
Sack Southgate! on 19:47 - Oct 8 with 3182 viewsbosh67

We are second rate. Time to take a deep breath and accept it Connell. Doesn't matter who manages us. Wouldn't change.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Sack Southgate! on 19:56 - Oct 8 with 3165 views2Thomas2Bowles

I'd say 3rd rate, don't have 1 world class player.

Can't polish a turd

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Sack Southgate! on 20:29 - Oct 8 with 3102 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I never understood that phrase harsh but fair.

Isn’t it a oxymoron?
Sack Southgate! on 20:31 - Oct 8 with 3092 viewseghamranger

Same players would be picked by any Englishman.

A poor team tonight.
Sack Southgate! on 20:49 - Oct 8 with 3056 viewsRoller

I agree with Bosh, it doesn't really matter who the manager is, we are not good enough.

The answer to what the players lose when they put on an England shirt after looking "so good" in the Premier League is the foreign players who carry them week in week out. I could look good playing alongside Aguero, Coutinho or Sanchez.
Sack Southgate! on 20:59 - Oct 8 with 3029 viewsdistortR

Doesn't need to be a full time job imho, which would potentially allow a decent manager to do the job.
Getting really wound up by the premier-centric nature of the England team. Harry Winks is a promising young player who has made a handful of appearances for spuds. But due to the dearth of English players playing in the top half of the premiership, he get's a game.
Well, you know what? The Irish and Welsh teams we have been envious of recently have had to realise that there are quality players outside the top division. Would you rather have Dier and Henderson at the heart of midfield, or Dier and Freeman?
Sack Southgate! on 21:06 - Oct 8 with 3006 viewsdaveB

would be harsh to sack him, he has qualified and not lost a competitive game, no other english candidates for the job anyway
Login to get fewer ads

Sack Southgate! on 21:30 - Oct 8 with 2955 viewssmegma

Sack Southgate! on 20:49 - Oct 8 by Roller

I agree with Bosh, it doesn't really matter who the manager is, we are not good enough.

The answer to what the players lose when they put on an England shirt after looking "so good" in the Premier League is the foreign players who carry them week in week out. I could look good playing alongside Aguero, Coutinho or Sanchez.

I'm sorry but playing alongside both Coutinho and Sanchez previously has not improved Alex Donkeylade-Chamberlain one bit.
Sack Southgate! on 21:38 - Oct 8 with 2931 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England and QPR.

Like hitting 17 in Blackjack. Nothing you can do about the shitty card you've been dealt, but twisting will probably fvck things up further.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2017 21:39]
Sack Southgate! on 22:06 - Oct 8 with 2871 viewsSimonJames

A change of coach made the world of difference to the England rugby team.
But I don't believe the majority of England footballers are as proud to wear the shirt and determined to leave everything on the pitch.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Sack Southgate! on 22:31 - Oct 8 with 2814 viewsToast_R

Its a fairly good sqaud of players really, I only see Germany, France and Spain as being ahead in terms of quality in Europe. It's just getting the system right and getting players firing together. Its does seem Southgate is following the trend of picking the same crap time over though because of which clubs the players play for. Henderson plays for Liverpool so is a shoe in despite being very limited. Oxlaide Chamberlain is dross too but also plays for Liverpool as does Sturridge. Give me Shelvey, Vardy and possibly Redmond over those three.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2017 22:33]
Sack Southgate! on 22:46 - Oct 8 with 2782 viewsrsonist

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/brazil-world-cup-quali

Worth reading about how the current Brazil coach finally got them going again. (Hint - it wasn't by picking all the biggest names and blowing smoke up their @rses). Sadly no English coaches of that calibre.
Sack Southgate! on 22:46 - Oct 8 with 2782 viewsLowerloftLad

I would say harry kane is slowly hitting world class

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Sack Southgate! on 22:49 - Oct 8 with 2777 viewsdaveB

Sack Southgate! on 22:06 - Oct 8 by SimonJames

A change of coach made the world of difference to the England rugby team.
But I don't believe the majority of England footballers are as proud to wear the shirt and determined to leave everything on the pitch.

nothing to do with pride for the shirt, they are just not very good. Put the best coach in the world in charge of that team and stick that team in the Prem and they wouldn't finish in the top half.

England Rugby changing coaches was very different, for one only a handful of countries play the sport professionally so we always have a decent chance of doing well and the team hopelessly under achieved in the last world cup so was always going to improve from rock bottom
Sack Southgate! on 22:51 - Oct 8 with 2771 viewsdaveB

Sack Southgate! on 22:31 - Oct 8 by Toast_R

Its a fairly good sqaud of players really, I only see Germany, France and Spain as being ahead in terms of quality in Europe. It's just getting the system right and getting players firing together. Its does seem Southgate is following the trend of picking the same crap time over though because of which clubs the players play for. Henderson plays for Liverpool so is a shoe in despite being very limited. Oxlaide Chamberlain is dross too but also plays for Liverpool as does Sturridge. Give me Shelvey, Vardy and possibly Redmond over those three.

really? Belgium, Italy, Portugal all miles better than England. We have three very good players imo, Kane, Alli and Walker. Apart from that the squad is very average.

All very well saying give Shelvey a game but he's no good, Vardy would be coming in for Kane who is the only one playing well.
Sack Southgate! on 22:54 - Oct 8 with 2764 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Sack Southgate! on 22:49 - Oct 8 by daveB

nothing to do with pride for the shirt, they are just not very good. Put the best coach in the world in charge of that team and stick that team in the Prem and they wouldn't finish in the top half.

England Rugby changing coaches was very different, for one only a handful of countries play the sport professionally so we always have a decent chance of doing well and the team hopelessly under achieved in the last world cup so was always going to improve from rock bottom

Plus, Eddie Jones is a once in a generation coach.
Sack Southgate! on 23:31 - Oct 8 with 2711 viewsCiderwithRsie

Sack Southgate! on 22:54 - Oct 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

There's another point there - since English rugby is structurally strong, there's a reasonable chance of getting one of the top coaches in the world once you've accepted the need to look outside of England. (Same deal with cricket, though personally I regard Bayliss as decent rather than exceptional).

Coaching England is actually one of the worst jobs in football for anyone who is good enough to do it - massive over-expectation from fans, feral media (not confined to how you manage the team, every aspect of your private and financial life is fair game) overpaid players who don't depend on you for their income, the bloody FA as your boss, and a dysfunctional national league failing to develop talent. Plus the weather is crap and property prices insane. Who with their head screwed on wouldn't manage Barcelona or Brazil or Germany or even Manchester City instead? I suppose at least these days you don't have Alex Ferguso deliberately trying to sabotage your team selections but that and the pay are about the only thing going for it.

And if the only people willing to do a job are people who want a massive wedge then there's something wrong with the job.
Sack Southgate! on 01:36 - Oct 9 with 2637 viewsBoston

Sat through ninety minutes, would like to confirm my post on another thread that I no longer watch much football

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Sack Southgate! on 05:26 - Oct 9 with 2581 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I read a stat the other day that our u21s are getting less game time at their clubs and, more particularly, less top-match game time compared to their counterparts in Germany, Italy, Spain etc.

The Prem and even the Championship, has been overly populated with overseas players, to the detriment of homegrown talent. It's not a racist thing to say, its just that too many club owners/managers want quick fix results, and so they buy from abroad.

Accordingly, football has collectively abandoned the desire to wait and develop a local player; preferring instead, to furnish the already full pockets of agents and go-betweens with fees! So British lads don't get chances, whereas we've freed up space for many younger lads overseas to develop, and many lower leagues clubs miss out on transfer fees as we rush to spend gazillions on Carlos Kickabouts. And if you think Brexit might change football's thinking, I'd suggest you think again!

Let's be honest, our appreciation for international football and the England team is a bit like the Brits love for tennis: we basically watch it two weeks a year, and don't give a monkey's chuff for the other fifty. Compare and contrast that with rugby union, where international rugby is held in the highest regard. I can't see us turning that round anytime soon either.

Southgate is a thoughtful chap, eloquent and probably, a nice yes man for the FA. He's never really struck me as the type to manage, and taking the poisoned chalice was unconvincing all round. But as many have said above, you could appoint anyone from Mourinho to the Chuckle Brothers as manager, and the same basic inherent problem exists - the pool of talent is woefully low!

All things considered, GS has probably done as well as could be expected, but until the manager has a selection headache because he's got too many decent players to choose from, qualifying for a tournament is going to be as good as it gets!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Sack Southgate! on 05:41 - Oct 9 with 2572 viewsstuabd

Waddle had it about right on 5 live.

We slightly better than Slovakia and Slovenia. We're in that group of countries. Average.

No manager is going to make a massive difference.
Sack Southgate! on 06:41 - Oct 9 with 2525 viewsKiwi76

Sack Southgate! on 22:54 - Oct 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

Really curious how he'll work out next World Cup.
Jones has had really good spells but has worn thin over time.
Done brilliantly to date.

On original point would be extremely harsh to get rid of Southgate - took over in chaos & got job done. Now has to get team playing in a style that can create chances - you've got decent full backs & X factor in Alli plus Kane is world class.
NZ should be there as well once knock over Argentina in play off....
Sack Southgate! on 08:25 - Oct 9 with 2400 viewspaulparker

Yet at youth level we are very good, the under17s beat Chile 4-0 and the under 20s beat Italy 5-1 if you watch those teams they play with pace and without fear, you watch the seniors and its 5 sideways passes and then back to the keeper , we play with zero pace or intensity , when was the last time we went at a team within the first 5 minutes of a game or even 20 minutes, we are grinding out results because we do have quality up top but its the rest of our play that's the problem , we are obsessed with this Spanish way or is it the German way ? I cant get my head around this awful style we play, its like the life is sucked out of them and no one knows what the other is doing
that is down to Southgate who lets face it is an FA yes man like Roy Hodgson ,
if the FA sacked him we would end up with either aidy boothroyd or hope powell

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Sack Southgate! on 08:44 - Oct 9 with 2372 viewssimmo

Played with wing backs for this and when players pushed up and CB's got involved we looked quite good. Thought Winks had a really good debut and with a more incisive/positive passer than Henderson in CM I think we would have looked more attacking.

Awful game, but I agree with Hoddle on commentary that I think we have the players and attributes to be more of a counter attacking team, but we can't exactly practice that against teams that put banks of 4 & 5 behind the ball. Let's see if anything changes against decent opposition.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Sack Southgate! on 09:15 - Oct 9 with 2320 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Sack Southgate! on 22:31 - Oct 8 by Toast_R

Respectively that's simply not the case and hasn't been for quite some time. Nevermind Italy, Portugal and Belgium, several countries are way ahead in their style of play, work rate and frankly ability and tournament results. I wouldn't fancy England's chances against the likes of Sweden, Poland, Ukraine etc etc...........err.......Iceland anybody? I always trot this out but the facts are England have won six, yes that's SIX knockout matches in both the World Cup AND Euros since 1966. It's pathetic. For every 5-1 victory over Germany, 4-1 over Holland there's 10 to 15 Costa Rica's, Trinidad and Tobago's, Algeria's, Portugal's, Romania's etc etc. I'd argue England and somewhere in the lower 3rd of world football as we stand today. Think Bosh said it on the other thread, England will be lucky to escape the hotel room let alone the group. About as much chance of winning a major tournament right now as Part Chimp have of being number one at Christmas with 'Hello bastards'. And sacking Southgate will make zero difference.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024