Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Things you’d change about football? 14:56 - Dec 27 with 8689 viewsrrrspricey

So while we’re watching some prem highlights from yesterday, a mate at work and I were saying how we’ve becoming increasingly disillusioned by football over the past few years and discussed how we could change the game for the better if we were in charge.

1: Cheating: I know it’s an obvious one but there are a few things we can do about it. Firstly let’s call a spade a spade, it’s not simulation, it’s not being clever or having the right to go down, it’s a professional sportsman cheating and therefore should be treated as such. For blatant cases lengthy bans, something like 10 games, plus big fines for the player and club.

2: Dissent: The constant surrounding of referees to try and intimidate them into making/changing decisions. Captain only to speak to the ref, anyone else does, instant yellow

3: Injuries: So many players going down to either waste time , break up play or spoil an opposition’s momentum. There is absolutely no need to stop play to treat an injury, bring the physio on and let play continue around them.

4: Substitutions: As above, no need whatsoever to stop play to make a substitution, we have a 4th official, surely that’s enough to ensure the swap takes place? This will put a stop to those twāts that couldn’t get off the pitch slower if their lives depended on it

5: Actually applying current rules: off the top of my head, keepers moving before pens — happens virtually every time, keepers 6 second rule — same, pen encroachment — same again

6: Advantage: How many times have you seen a ref play the advantage only for the that advantage to come to an end a few seconds later. How about taking another page from Rugby’s book and playing until either the referee decides an actual advantage has taken place or it’s obvious none has been gained.

7: Obstruction: I assume this rule (in the way it was when I was a kid) no longer exists. Shepherding the ball out of play while shielding the ball making no attempt to play it should be obstruction, simple

8: Players celebrating: So removing your shirt and/or celebrating with your own fans are both bookable offences but celebrating right in front of and gesturing to opposition fans isn’t, where’s the sense in that? Which if more likely to end in in an unsavoury incident? : Inciteful behaviour at a minimum which should end in a yellow
Things you’d change about football? on 15:16 - Dec 27 with 5212 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Being Robert Snodgrass
Things you’d change about football? on 15:16 - Dec 27 with 5205 viewsQPR_John

Let's go back back to the original offside law we all knew were we stood. Also keepers being able to take kicks from either side of goal an open invitation to waste time
Things you’d change about football? on 16:13 - Dec 27 with 5145 viewscolinallcars

I agree on all 8 points really. I would liie to see refs being harder on what is basically a field full of 22 potential cheats. The players soon sense that a ref is weak and raise the cheating level. They are also aware that a ref doesn't want to be seen to be “ruining the game” by sending players off. We tend to think that our players don't cheat but sadly it is endemic in modern football.

I really do think I'll stop following football if the situation doesn'l improve.
Things you’d change about football? on 17:22 - Dec 27 with 5068 viewsSnipper

I’ve been saying it for years about the diving.

I know they’re trying to clean it up with retrospective bans, but that doesn’t do the team who were cheated on any favours. It actually favours the next team.

Any player caught blatantly cheating should get a 5 game ban and no pay. If the cheating has helped his team win, then his team lose the points gained. A second instance of cheating should result in his team losing 5 points.

This would rid it overnight.

Diving, simulation or cheating, or whatever you want to call it, really p1sses me off.
Things you’d change about football? on 17:31 - Dec 27 with 5054 views2Thomas2Bowles

In play clock

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Things you’d change about football? on 17:36 - Dec 27 with 5028 viewsBoston

I'd ban smoking in the penalty area, duecedly unhealthy y'know.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Things you’d change about football? on 18:39 - Dec 27 with 4963 viewscharmr

Glad I’m not the only one who feels the same way about modern football

It’s the cynicism even with the kids, I referee, that’s part of the problem
Things you’d change about football? on 19:20 - Dec 27 with 4898 viewsVancouverHoop

Eliminate penalty kicks. A free-kick from the point of infraction is sufficient. Penalties turn the game too much competitively. They're a hangover from a time when the game was much slower and major infractions easier to spot.
Login to get fewer ads

Things you’d change about football? on 19:40 - Dec 27 with 4863 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

No idea how it would pan out, but I'd like to see a season or two trialed without offside.

More goals I'd imagine.
Things you’d change about football? on 19:51 - Dec 27 with 4840 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Things you’d change about football? on 19:20 - Dec 27 by VancouverHoop

Eliminate penalty kicks. A free-kick from the point of infraction is sufficient. Penalties turn the game too much competitively. They're a hangover from a time when the game was much slower and major infractions easier to spot.

This would only encourage more deliberate fouls in the penalty box which in itself would be cheating.
Things you’d change about football? on 20:02 - Dec 27 with 4822 viewsAntti_Heinola

Good post pricey, agree with some, not with others.

1: Cheating: I know it’s an obvious one but there are a few things we can do about it. Firstly let’s call a spade a spade, it’s not simulation, it’s not being clever or having the right to go down, it’s a professional sportsman cheating and therefore should be treated as such. For blatant cases lengthy bans, something like 10 games, plus big fines for the player and club.

Every deliberate foul is 'cheating' - that's why they call it simulation. I'm in a huge, huge minority, but a deliberate foul to stop an attack makes me at least as annoyed as diving. And yet that is lauded as a good thing 'taking a yellow for the team' - all players, all fans say the same thing. But to me it's disgusting cheating. I hate it even when we do it. I honestly cannot see the difference - some will say at least those offenders are not trying to trick or fool or deceive anyone, but that's a bit like saying - 'yeah, he robbed that jewellery store, but he did it in broad daylight, in front of security cameras and left his name and address on the counter' - thievery is thievery - cheating is cheating. Diving is, for me, far less a problem than deliberate fouling.

2: Dissent: The constant surrounding of referees to try and intimidate them into making/changing decisions. Captain only to speak to the ref, anyone else does, instant yellow

Actually think this is miles better than it was since they clamped down a couple of years back. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's better than it was.

4: Substitutions: As above, no need whatsoever to stop play to make a substitution, we have a 4th official, surely that’s enough to ensure the swap takes place? This will put a stop to those twāts that couldn’t get off the pitch slower if their lives depended on it

Think this is unworkable. But I think we should go back to three subs. Or three plus a keeper. Too many subs is a huge advantage to bigger clubs.

5: Actually applying current rules: off the top of my head, keepers moving before pens — happens virtually every time, keepers 6 second rule — same, pen encroachment — same again

Pinner might pick you up on this, but keepers can move as much as they want *on their line* before it's kicked. 6 second rule, i believe, doesn't exist anymore.

6: Advantage: How many times have you seen a ref play the advantage only for the that advantage to come to an end a few seconds later. How about taking another page from Rugby’s book and playing until either the referee decides an actual advantage has taken place or it’s obvious none has been gained.

I think refs already do this.

8: Players celebrating: So removing your shirt and/or celebrating with your own fans are both bookable offences but celebrating right in front of and gesturing to opposition fans isn’t, where’s the sense in that? Which if more likely to end in in an unsavoury incident? : Inciteful behaviour at a minimum which should end in a yellow

Agree, but neither should be a yellow. 'inciting fans' is a total nonsense.

Bare bones.

Things you’d change about football? on 20:24 - Dec 27 with 4780 viewseasthertsr

Professional Fouls. No red card but an automatic own goal awarded. Would stop it overnight!
Things you’d change about football? on 20:43 - Dec 27 with 4746 viewsVancouverHoop

Things you’d change about football? on 19:51 - Dec 27 by Benny_the_Ball

This would only encourage more deliberate fouls in the penalty box which in itself would be cheating.

Of course we can't know for sure until it's tried. However I'd argue that, without the option of indirect free kicks, there are currently innumerable offences in the box that go unpunished – especially from corners – which the referee ignores because otherwise we'd have three or four PKs a match. While, at the other extreme, questionable contact is called too often as a penalty. So long as the only option is a spot kick referees are damned for being too lenient and too whistle happy.
Things you’d change about football? on 21:00 - Dec 27 with 4724 viewsDesertBoot

So many changes to be made, but I think giving keepers a maximum of ten seconds to take a goal kick/throw the ball to an outfield player would be a good move.

Wish I could be like David Watts

Things you’d change about football? on 21:28 - Dec 27 with 4701 viewscolinallcars

The trouble is, that whatever you clamp down on, players in concert with their managers will find another way of cheating. The whole ethos of the game is rotten to the core.
Things you’d change about football? on 22:13 - Dec 27 with 4676 viewsHarbour

Good post agree with stopping the cheating...but for me I would go back to more Saturday 3pm kick offs these Friday Sunday and Monday games the atmosphere is rubbish..in particular the derby games have been ruined with the ko times being dominated by sky.
Things you’d change about football? on 00:36 - Dec 28 with 4597 viewsPunteR

Id like to see no rules football for one season. Performance enhancing drugs allowed.
Ok maybe not for a whole season but for one game at least.
No touching of the hair though of course.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Things you’d change about football? on 00:54 - Dec 28 with 4586 viewsDannyPaddox

Things you’d change about football? on 19:40 - Dec 27 by BazzaInTheLoft

No idea how it would pan out, but I'd like to see a season or two trialed without offside.

More goals I'd imagine.

Bring back the Watney Cup.
Things you’d change about football? on 01:07 - Dec 28 with 4576 viewsMrSheen

Let players celebrate however they want, but the team that concedes can kick off 30 seconds after the goal is awarded.
Things you’d change about football? on 02:20 - Dec 28 with 4557 viewsBrightonhoop

Things you’d change about football? on 15:16 - Dec 27 by WrightUp5hit___

Being Robert Snodgrass

I hate Snodgrass. What a ridiculous name, the rosy cheeked ginger tw4at, I fcking hate him.

I'd also have snipers in the Loft, anyone diving for a pen to be summararily taken out by said snipers. Same would apply to the Ref for that soft Bristol penalty on Boxing day.

And Ashley Young. You'd think he could afford a salad for his wife.....ffs
Things you’d change about football? on 05:55 - Dec 28 with 4462 viewsahoz

Things you’d change about football? on 19:40 - Dec 27 by BazzaInTheLoft

More goals I'd imagine.

BazzaITL you nailed one of the real problems with the game. No offsides was trialled in Scotland a while back with success. Tbe only argument against it then was players were getting confused! Or, offsides could only be in the ext. goal area.
Things you’d change about football? on 07:48 - Dec 28 with 4429 viewsLblock

Bring back drinking whilst watching and bring back terraces

Today’s game is, quite frankly, a load of old shit compared to what I first fell in love with. I loved it all back then from the smell of the onions on Chubby’s Grill to the feeling of danger in lots of games especially under the lights. Granted a lots changed for the better in the opinion of the average joe; and not just environmental health checking on Chubbys Grill; but it’s just everything about the game is so clinical and manufacturered now.
So why do I still go? Why am I annoyed I can’t make Millwall away tomorrow? Why do I religiously buy a season ticket?........ easy answer. I do that for everything that’s peripheral to the actual game. It’s all about meeting mates, having a few too many drinks, the comedy, the day out. Bloody football gets in the way but it’s the central excuse (if that makes sense?!?!)

Nostalgia...it ain’t what it used to be

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Things you’d change about football? on 08:18 - Dec 28 with 4405 viewsOnlyMe

RE: Doing away with the Offside law altogether.

I'd actually imagine fewer goals.

Teams would have to defend deeper and with numbers in order to cover against long range shots and more central defenders because there would have to be more attacks leading to crosses. So the game would become more long ball with fewer midfielders.

I'd agree with the earlier post from QPR John about returning to earlier times (as Cloughie said: "If a player is not interfering with play then he shouldn't be on the pitch.").

Although I might accept a trial where players can only being offside (when the ball is played) if they are in the penalty area.

Anyone wanting to drink while watching matches should watch them in a pub where decent beer is available (not the fizzypisswater that football clubs serves and is only really fit for immature kids).

Lastly, refs should be made to explain their actions. And immediately after the whistle, not after they have had time to get together with the other officials to get their stories all fitting in with each others. And let's not forget, they are no longer amateurs, they are pros --- and we pay their wages (though, like many, I had plenty of doubt abouts that with some of the decisions that got given to Ferguson's manure).
[Post edited 28 Dec 2017 8:31]
Things you’d change about football? on 09:17 - Dec 28 with 4355 viewsstevec

Goalkeepers not allowed to use their hands.
Things you’d change about football? on 10:23 - Dec 28 with 4284 viewsEsox_Lucius

Rush goalies or the nearest player to the goal line is the goalie. Jumpers for goalposts and next goal wins.

The grass is always greener.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024