Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tony Fernandes podcast 11:14 - Apr 30 with 17691 viewsNorthernr

And a blog from David Fraser about how it came about and how the day went...

The QPR Podcast meets Tony Fernandes - Podcast 30th Apr 2018 11:13
A special extended Open All R's Podcast this week features an interview with co-chairman Tony Fernandes - host David Fraser explains how it came about and what he made of QPR's co-owner. 1

Tony Fernandes podcast on 12:40 - Apr 30 with 8097 viewsPinnerPaul

Ok, just listened and it/he was excellent.

Far too many points to comment on individually, but 3 things stick in my mind

1) Scouting - Gary Penrice can spend a year looking at one player - includes checks on his background, personality & family as well as the obvious footballing criteria - nothing like that ever happened before.

2) The 'hot' topic - IH - Said at the end of every season, everything is 'evaluated' that includes the manager. Everyone is looked at and asked to improve - used Les as an example

3) Passion for the club/fans at the end was genuinely moving - not going anywhere unless board tell him to go

As I said, far far too many more nuggets in there to pick out, but well worth a listen - well done Tony and well done all involved in putting that together/making it happen - thanks
Tony Fernandes podcast on 13:45 - Apr 30 with 7911 viewslondonscottish

AHA - so THAT'S what they were up to.

Goes off to download the pod for the journey home.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Tony Fernandes podcast on 14:29 - Apr 30 with 7780 viewsRangersw12

Just listened to it

Nothing we haven't heard before really but interesting all the same

Reading between the lines he clearly hasn't got a lot of time for Hughes.

A couple of things did irritate me Finneys stupid comments trying to be funny and the fact TF kept getting results wrong i.e MK Dons in cup when Warnock was in charge

End of the day he will be judged on results and at the moment he has failed miserably but I do believe there are green shoots of recovery and we could be have a worse chairman , Hull, Charlton and Orient spring to mind
Tony Fernandes podcast on 14:43 - Apr 30 with 7750 viewsGloucs_R

Anything about the ground? I'm at work so can't listen

Poll: Are we staying up?

Tony Fernandes podcast on 15:05 - Apr 30 with 7668 viewsPinnerPaul

Tony Fernandes podcast on 14:43 - Apr 30 by Gloucs_R

Anything about the ground? I'm at work so can't listen

I was doing other things so didn't hang on every word, but did say it was very difficult building anything in London.

Did say OOC not completely dead in the water as personnel/policies change - in government, local government etc
Tony Fernandes podcast on 15:49 - Apr 30 with 7561 viewsToast_R

Like the way Warnock get's blamed for the MK Dons debacle under Redknapp's stewardship.
Poor.

Warnock got the draw, Hughes won the replay.
Tony Fernandes podcast on 16:22 - Apr 30 with 7461 viewsAntti_Heinola

Tony Fernandes podcast on 15:49 - Apr 30 by Toast_R

Like the way Warnock get's blamed for the MK Dons debacle under Redknapp's stewardship.
Poor.

tbf, we were diabolical there in the NW game and fans were very unhappy. We were extremely lucky that HH saved us.
I know through the mists of time there's no one left that will adit they wanted NW out at that point, but trust me, there was a meltdown on here at that result. Can gardly blame him getting those results mixed up a bit (although the shellacking they gave us the next time was even worse!)

Bare bones.

Tony Fernandes podcast on 16:23 - Apr 30 with 7449 viewsDiscodroids

I Had a listen while i broke the guiness book of world records for shouting the most primeval raw base obscenities while trying to fix the fackin' downstairs khazi sink tap.

well done to The Gentlemen on the panel, and my old mate Chris charles in his retro iggy pop adidas t shirt but fu ck me Tonys flat impassive voice modulations and bland corporate tones took me to a higher state of Consciousness not seen since the sub woofer sawtooth droning of my wife talking to me in monotone about 'location location location' , halls a joining, scatter cushion fabrics and loft easel fabrication in edwardian houses placed me in a coma.

I perked up a bit and swore again when tony said they were looking at kenny jacket, ( i bloke i've wanted as manager for at least 5 years), at the same time as Tramadol JFH But plumped for the association football version of John Major. Anyway the chaps done good.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2018 16:28]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Login to get fewer ads

Tony Fernandes podcast on 17:07 - Apr 30 with 7341 viewsEsox_Lucius

Tony Fernandes podcast on 16:22 - Apr 30 by Antti_Heinola

tbf, we were diabolical there in the NW game and fans were very unhappy. We were extremely lucky that HH saved us.
I know through the mists of time there's no one left that will adit they wanted NW out at that point, but trust me, there was a meltdown on here at that result. Can gardly blame him getting those results mixed up a bit (although the shellacking they gave us the next time was even worse!)

You are not wrong, there were about 10k Rangers fans at that game and there was an almost universal concerted tirade aimed at Colin throughout the game. At the time fans were getting sick to death of his post match interviews, among other things, where he went on about what a privilege it was to play (insert name of team we had just lost to) in the Premier League. It wasn't an unjustified sacking as so many would like you to now believe. A similar aura of Godliness surrounds his little spell as "assistant" manager where we picked up some very useful points but the football played was fücking awful then when a DofF job wasn't offered (can't be confirmed but is hinted at often enough) he was off. I never liked him before he joined, stifled my criticism of him to some extent whilst he was in charge and I don't like him any better now. I hope Phlegm get the second auto spot and Cardiff get beat in the play offs. BTW, did anyone ever get a thank you e-mail from him or Sharon?

The grass is always greener.

Tony Fernandes podcast on 17:19 - Apr 30 with 7319 viewsPinnerPaul

Tony Fernandes podcast on 15:49 - Apr 30 by Toast_R

Poor.

That's one slant - was told by players and others in the club that dressing room was not a happy place under Warnock at that time.

As TF said no one knows if we would have stayed up with NW in charge.
Tony Fernandes podcast on 18:43 - Apr 30 with 7101 viewsisawqpratwcity

Tony Fernandes podcast on 16:22 - Apr 30 by Antti_Heinola

I didn't want Warnock out before he was sacked, but reviewing the circumstances and timing I had to agree that Fernandes called it correctly. That he stuffed up the next decision, ie appointing Hughes, didn't mean the first one was wrong.

I thought Fernandes' support for Holloway was guarded, but not to the extent that I think he is going to sack him.

If I have a major criticism of the podcast, it is that the panel didn't probe into Fernandes' self-proclaimed over-ruling of the advice of his DoF and CEO in appointing Holloway. Saying that Holloway should stay because we could not get anyone better is a much stronger argument if Fernandes is determined to eschew the extra football expertise appointed because it was so conspicuously needed in some previous decisions.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Tony Fernandes podcast on 19:50 - Apr 30 with 6959 viewsflynnbo

Tony Fernandes podcast on 17:07 - Apr 30 by Esox_Lucius

You are not wrong, there were about 10k Rangers fans at that game and there was an almost universal concerted tirade aimed at Colin throughout the game. At the time fans were getting sick to death of his post match interviews, among other things, where he went on about what a privilege it was to play (insert name of team we had just lost to) in the Premier League. It wasn't an unjustified sacking as so many would like you to now believe. A similar aura of Godliness surrounds his little spell as "assistant" manager where we picked up some very useful points but the football played was fücking awful then when a DofF job wasn't offered (can't be confirmed but is hinted at often enough) he was off. I never liked him before he joined, stifled my criticism of him to some extent whilst he was in charge and I don't like him any better now. I hope Phlegm get the second auto spot and Cardiff get beat in the play offs. BTW, did anyone ever get a thank you e-mail from him or Sharon?

Yep, I was there. It was an awful experience what with Faurlin doing his cruciate and they were joined in the singing of "Premier league, you're having laugh" by many of our own fans!. Found out he was sacked whilst I was waiting in the car at MK station-can't say I was disappointed by it, to be honest.
Tony Fernandes podcast on 19:54 - Apr 30 with 6955 viewsdanehoop

Tony Fernandes podcast on 18:43 - Apr 30 by isawqpratwcity

I didn't want Warnock out before he was sacked, but reviewing the circumstances and timing I had to agree that Fernandes called it correctly. That he stuffed up the next decision, ie appointing Hughes, didn't mean the first one was wrong.

I thought Fernandes' support for Holloway was guarded, but not to the extent that I think he is going to sack him.

If I have a major criticism of the podcast, it is that the panel didn't probe into Fernandes' self-proclaimed over-ruling of the advice of his DoF and CEO in appointing Holloway. Saying that Holloway should stay because we could not get anyone better is a much stronger argument if Fernandes is determined to eschew the extra football expertise appointed because it was so conspicuously needed in some previous decisions.

Think that is fair criticism.

On Hughless appointment though, there is a danger that we all judge with hindsight. At the time though it seemed liked a good appointment, relatively bright young manager, good reputation overall from similar size clubs and clear vision/confidence projected. Most of us discounted his ejection from Man Shitty as being badly treated we all thought. His signings seemed ambitious and glamorous. Now it is clear that he was a grade dogs womb with all the appeal of a plastic monkey turd found floating in your pint.

On appointing Holloway, it may be that after the Welsh experience and the stain that passes for a human being Redkrapp, TF found his obvious passion, commitment and lack of guile a great deal more appealing than the alternatives on offer.

I think he came across as being fair on Holloway, time for a genuine review and discussion on progress over the season and next steps. Like you though, provided Holloway convinces TF that he still has what it needs to progress on the reduced resources available (probably Holloway's strength in reality) he will be in charge next season. As others have noted previously though, if does decide a change is required, this is at least the right timing to be considering it.

Never knowingly understood

Tony Fernandes podcast on 20:10 - Apr 30 with 6905 viewsisawqpratwcity

Tony Fernandes podcast on 19:54 - Apr 30 by danehoop

Think that is fair criticism.

On Hughless appointment though, there is a danger that we all judge with hindsight. At the time though it seemed liked a good appointment, relatively bright young manager, good reputation overall from similar size clubs and clear vision/confidence projected. Most of us discounted his ejection from Man Shitty as being badly treated we all thought. His signings seemed ambitious and glamorous. Now it is clear that he was a grade dogs womb with all the appeal of a plastic monkey turd found floating in your pint.

On appointing Holloway, it may be that after the Welsh experience and the stain that passes for a human being Redkrapp, TF found his obvious passion, commitment and lack of guile a great deal more appealing than the alternatives on offer.

I think he came across as being fair on Holloway, time for a genuine review and discussion on progress over the season and next steps. Like you though, provided Holloway convinces TF that he still has what it needs to progress on the reduced resources available (probably Holloway's strength in reality) he will be in charge next season. As others have noted previously though, if does decide a change is required, this is at least the right timing to be considering it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm making no claim of knowing at the start that Hughes was a dud. I was sad, but not sorry, to see Warnock go, and I definitely welcomed Hughes' appointment. That wore off towards the end of the season when he was still not making any improvement.

As for Holloway, I appreciated that at least he is under review as a matter of course. I wondered if Fernandes' somewhat guarded comments were not an indication of an upcoming dismissal, but rather it may be that he knows a resignation is coming and doesn't want to oversell Holloway's importance to the club. Then again, that could be me spouting complete bollox.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Tony Fernandes podcast on 20:52 - Apr 30 with 6804 viewsPeterHucker

Great podcast.
Not TF's biggest fan but all credit to him for going on there and being so open.
Would've liked him to be asked "having recognised that you made so many costly mistakes with signings under Hughes, why did you then allow Redknapp to sign Rio Ferdinand and Chris Samba?"
But generally he came across very well and he sounds like he's genuine about his long term aims.
Tony Fernandes podcast on 20:54 - Apr 30 with 6802 viewsflynnbo

Tony Fernandes podcast on 20:52 - Apr 30 by PeterHucker

Great podcast.
Not TF's biggest fan but all credit to him for going on there and being so open.
Would've liked him to be asked "having recognised that you made so many costly mistakes with signings under Hughes, why did you then allow Redknapp to sign Rio Ferdinand and Chris Samba?"
But generally he came across very well and he sounds like he's genuine about his long term aims.

Didn't Fernandes sign Chris Samba for Redknapp?
Tony Fernandes podcast on 21:02 - Apr 30 with 6776 viewsPeterHucker

Tony Fernandes podcast on 20:54 - Apr 30 by flynnbo

Didn't Fernandes sign Chris Samba for Redknapp?

all the more reason to ask him about it then
Tony Fernandes podcast on 21:03 - Apr 30 with 6772 viewsdaveB

He came across well but he always does in these kind of things.

Hopefully he's put the Warnock thing to bed with many including regulars on the podcast still claiming Warnock was over looked for the job rather than him not putting himself forward until it was too late.

Think Jackett would have been a good appointment back then rather than JFH, that was an opportunity missed

Holloway didn't exactly get a ringing endorsement from him but usually when he says how much he likes a manager they are sacked within a month so might be a good thing
Tony Fernandes podcast on 21:26 - Apr 30 with 6704 viewsGloucs_R

Just listened.... Sounds like something is happening with the stadium but he can't say. I suspect one or two of you know already??

Poll: Are we staying up?

Tony Fernandes podcast on 01:14 - May 1 with 6368 viewsPunteR

He came across really well but he always does with these things.
I have to say though he does seem to genuinely know the club and players. He sounds like a fan. I think he was being really honest here and he does seem to be more realistic with his own expectations of the club and fans. He sounds like he's had a reality check.
Personally i think the jury is still out on him. We have clearly made some improvements but as he himself said there's still a long way to go. His decision making has been poor in the past and the fact they went for JFH rather than Jackett is another mistake imho.
But thats all in the past. Lets hope we can build on from here and he brings success back to the club . Fingers crossed.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Tony Fernandes podcast on 01:54 - May 1 with 6343 viewsBlueandWhiteRiot

I thought the pod cast was good. A lot of stuff we have heard before but a little of the spin taken out.(not all) He does come across as very positive, very much a glass half full kind of guy. We can all moan about the waste of money that the club has spent but at the end of the day it was his money and he knows full well he has wasted it. I get the feeling Les told him he was making the same mistakes with Redknapp and that is why Les was brought in.

The club is no where near where it should be and this is not all Tony's doing. I feel our great season but a shine on how bad Tango and Cash were trashing the club. But it does seem the club is striving to improve and put process in place to improve. You can see goals that are starting to be meet.

Also it was interesting to hear he said that he thinks we are two years off Fulham. Surely that means they want us pushing for play off spots next season or to be very close. And the season after we will be going for a full out attack. If this is the case. The club now needs to say if Ollie is our man or is time for some else to have ago.

Last thing I will say. No one has the right to speak to Tony the way that some do on twitter. We all know that Tony's way of dealing with shit results is to be positive. I am not really sure it would help any one if he was to come on twitter after a bad run of form and be critical. Keep it behind doors. It will come across as he is contradicting himself sometimes but that is his way.
Tony Fernandes podcast on 05:05 - May 1 with 6284 viewsqprd

good pod. TF is clearly a smart and charismatic guy, which is why hes such a successful businessman

one thing that he harped on a lot which I thought was a bit misleading was about how the size of our football ground limits us financially

we don't currently sell out loftus road as is, so I'm not sure why we would assume that building a bigger stadium would attract more people.... but lets assume that (i) QPR builds a new stadium, (ii) 10,000 people extra people attend each match, (iii) tickets are 25 quid each and (iv) we have 23 home fixtures.... that's only 5.75 million quid in turnover, before accounting for any additional expenses... as comparison, gary madine was sold to Cardiff for 6m

this is a good breakdown of championship finances:
https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/national/football-finance-championship-club

all but 1 team made a pre-tax loss

the only ways to make money are: (1) you develop players and sell them at a heavy premium to premier league (chris wood to burnley for 15m, aluko to reading for 8m, j murphy to Newcastle for 12m) (2) have parachute payments or (3) gamble on going to the prem. in the case of 3, its great when it works (see wolves) but a disaster when it fails for more than 3 years (see sheff weds).

options 2 and 3 are out for qpr, so its all about option 1
Tony Fernandes podcast on 05:22 - May 1 with 6273 viewstimcocking

Tony is awesome imo, i have a tonne of respect for him in many ways. For me, he's as honest and decent a man as any is his position in the world and that's having lived in Asia for 15 years and knowing a lot about him. His only fault * was in being naive and doing what the experts and everybody else including me thought he should do and told him to do. I don't think any of us realised at the time. I was delighted when we signed those bloody Chileans and all that. Obviously a major disaster. Obviously we've have loads of disasters. I'd attribute no blame to Tony though.

* and obviously the bloody social media stuff. That just causes problems in this day and age.
Tony Fernandes podcast on 08:14 - May 1 with 6107 viewsNorthernr

Tony Fernandes podcast on 21:26 - Apr 30 by Gloucs_R

Just listened.... Sounds like something is happening with the stadium but he can't say. I suspect one or two of you know already??

They're going for LCS, but they're waiting until after local elections this week before going big and public with it.
Tony Fernandes podcast on 08:28 - May 1 with 6088 viewspaulparker

Tony Fernandes podcast on 16:23 - Apr 30 by Discodroids

I Had a listen while i broke the guiness book of world records for shouting the most primeval raw base obscenities while trying to fix the fackin' downstairs khazi sink tap.

well done to The Gentlemen on the panel, and my old mate Chris charles in his retro iggy pop adidas t shirt but fu ck me Tonys flat impassive voice modulations and bland corporate tones took me to a higher state of Consciousness not seen since the sub woofer sawtooth droning of my wife talking to me in monotone about 'location location location' , halls a joining, scatter cushion fabrics and loft easel fabrication in edwardian houses placed me in a coma.

I perked up a bit and swore again when tony said they were looking at kenny jacket, ( i bloke i've wanted as manager for at least 5 years), at the same time as Tramadol JFH But plumped for the association football version of John Major. Anyway the chaps done good.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2018 16:28]

you are getting these Monotone vibes DD because just like your missus he drones on about the same old , same old , and after a while you switch off to it and ignore it
a bit like sitting with the wife when she starts talking about IKEA or putting the bins out
instead of playing Carla Delevingne Evening standard bingo on your 6.57 trip into Liverpool street how about playing Tony Fernades bingo
Exciting times, New stadium, having the QPR bug, training ground almost approved, fighting FFP , trusting others , we r together , Got my pants pulled down, learning from my mistakes , HOUSE !!!!!

also for those slagging Neil Warnock because you didn't get a poxy email or because in your heads it was his time to leave, or the football was sh1te go fcuk yourselves , your not even real QPR fans
the man won us a league title in one of the hardest leagues in Europe playing some of the best football we had seen in 20 years , the man is a winner compared to serial loser "uncle tone" and has forgotten more about football than this idiot will ever know
he deserved another season at least and ever since that fatal day we sacked him we have regressed

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024