Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Defence 13:24 - Jun 28 with 2948 viewsGloucs_R

How awful have we been this session in defence?

Rangel too old for another season
Kane, not good enough?
Barbet always seems to have a mistake in him
Masterson, still learning
Manning, almost certainly going
Wallace, no better than a back up?
Niko and Kakay out of contract, not good enough anyway?
BFG not coming back
Hall, gone
Cameron, back up only

Surely this needs to be the priority for next season? LB, RB and CB?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Defence on 13:42 - Jun 28 with 2399 viewsfrancisbowles

We've just lost two games 1-0 after six unbeaten but let's just write off the whole defence.!
Defence on 13:48 - Jun 28 with 2388 viewsHunterhoop

This and centre forward are undoubtedly the areas we need improving. We look good in the middle 3rd but in both boxes we look poor.

Masterson will hopefully develop.
Gubbins I have hopes for.

Barbet is not as good a defender as some make out. He’s still start level, but he makes a lot of mistakes and is beaten in the air a fair bit (see Saturday again).

Wallace could play centre half but he looks incredibly slow to me and i’d suggest he is in no way a starter.

That’s it at CB. IMO, we need to find a starter level CB, urgently.

Up front, and have one loanee in Hugill. That’s it. Oteh isn’t a genuine no. 9, certainly not a hold up and link man, who will get on the end of crosses in the box. Hugill is that sort of player, but he costs a lot of money and misses a lot of chances. He also appears to have given up on this season. It’s quite possible he won’t be here next year.

That means we need at least 2, possibly 3, centre forwards to sign next year. With out budget, that is going to be bloody tough. If we sell Eze, we’re almost certainly going to need to reinvest some of it.

Ironically, loosing Eze and BOS are probably the two positions we are most able to replace in: Chair, Smyth, Shodipo, Dalling, Battache, Oteh... I’m confident some of those will develop into being good attacking players, at this level.

But for all our pretty play between the boxes, which is better than most sides in this league...it’s all a bit irrelevant if we concede very soft goals and don’t turn that pretty play into goals.
Defence on 13:58 - Jun 28 with 2372 viewsHunterhoop

Defence on 13:42 - Jun 28 by francisbowles

We've just lost two games 1-0 after six unbeaten but let's just write off the whole defence.!

To be fair, he has a point.

As well as needing a starter CB, you can make a strong case for a RB. I doubt Rangel will be playing next year. We’ve just extended his contract to the end of this season...but no further.

Todd Kane needs to seriously improve to me a regular starter. He looks scared of his shadow and gives the ball away repeatedly.

So that’s a RB too.

At left back we have Wallace and Manning. That’s fine for us. But if Manning is sold (only 12 months left on his contract and neither he nor BOS seem likely to sign an extension, so selling is likely), then we need a LB too.

So that’s a starting quality
CB
RB
LB
2 CFs

plus we probably need another CM to replace Amos.

That 6 quite important pieces on recruitment to be done in the next 2-3 months.
Defence on 14:46 - Jun 28 with 2290 viewsgazza1

1 - Hugill just isn't good enough....to think West Ham bought him for the Premiership is beyond belief. The chance he had yesterday should have been scored by any pro in any league....keeper should not have seen it. There has been many others too, general all round play is very average indeed. Gives away obvious fouls far too often.
2 - Defensively we must tighten up, Barbet is decent enough, Masterson hopefully will develop, a RB is needed (Kane has disappointed after a decent enough start) & Rangel, whom I would pick ahead of Kane needs replacing. the jury is out on Manning at LB, I would start Wallace. I know very little to comment about any of the other defensive players.
3 - Midfield is OKish, plenty of options. Get rid of Shopido too, he has been here for years and still not doing enough - limited indeed. Why have Clarke here if he not getting any minutes??

So, imho, I would be looking at recruiting a RB, CB and Striker x 2 for starters.....obviously if we loose our most talented players we will need to replace them too.
Defence on 16:00 - Jun 28 with 2186 viewsfrancisbowles

Defence on 13:58 - Jun 28 by Hunterhoop

To be fair, he has a point.

As well as needing a starter CB, you can make a strong case for a RB. I doubt Rangel will be playing next year. We’ve just extended his contract to the end of this season...but no further.

Todd Kane needs to seriously improve to me a regular starter. He looks scared of his shadow and gives the ball away repeatedly.

So that’s a RB too.

At left back we have Wallace and Manning. That’s fine for us. But if Manning is sold (only 12 months left on his contract and neither he nor BOS seem likely to sign an extension, so selling is likely), then we need a LB too.

So that’s a starting quality
CB
RB
LB
2 CFs

plus we probably need another CM to replace Amos.

That 6 quite important pieces on recruitment to be done in the next 2-3 months.

FWIW I thought Rangel and Masterson were, on the whole, OK yesterday. I thought Manning was, and something I often think about him, far too negative when on the half way line or further forward. The number of times he turns inside instead of trying to get down the line, which we know he is capable of doing.

Barbet was guilty of conceding possession a number of times but did make some good blocks and tackles.

Kane was terrible. A worry, as I believe he was given a lengthy contract. He seems to have gone backwards. He was also hesitant to go on the outside yesterday. He may benefit from starting a few games if Rangel has to be rested. I think, if his demands aren't too great that we should keep Rangel, maybe on a six month contract.

Yes we definitely need another cb. We have Kakay and Hamalainen as full backs as well, so we may have to go with what we have in those positions.
Amos did ok when he came on and I think we could see him here again next year.

Hugill was poor but he always needs two or three chances to score, and we didn't give him enough chances or support him enough in the two games. I agree we need one or two more forwards next season.

BOS seems to have gone back to his early season frustrated, lack of belief, mood.
Eze's shooting has gone back to it's waywardness as well.

Cameron and Ball did ok until they tired. I thought Shodipo, Bettache and Oteh all did reasonably well.

I also think that we need to play more free kicks in the vicinity of the half way line into the box. We are too predictable going short and sideways all the time.

We have lost two of our regulars from before the shutdown so the squad does need strengthening. It's whether we can manage to find and afford the right players.
Defence on 16:33 - Jun 28 with 2137 viewsGloucs_R

Only luton and Hull have let in more goals.

A few have mentioned it but we seem to lack a bit of leadership and some nastiness.

Defence on 16:37 - Jun 28 with 2129 viewsMedwayR

As things stand I think we'll see...

Kane and Kakay competing for RB.
Barbet, Masterson, Gubbins + 1 at CB.
Manning, Wallace at LB unless we resign Hamalainen and move Manning forward.

I don't think we'll do much in the transfer window other than sign a CB and get a CF or two. Contract renewals will be just as important as signings.

Poll: Who’s better?

Defence on 16:44 - Jun 28 with 2105 viewsGloucs_R

Defence on 16:37 - Jun 28 by MedwayR

I don't think we'll do much in the transfer window other than sign a CB and get a CF or two. Contract renewals will be just as important as signings.

That's depressing. I would love to be proven wrong but Niko, Kakay and Oteh I can't ever see making it at this level.

Of the three, Niko is the one I would say has most chance. But I'm only basing that on match reports I've read when they've been on loan.

Login to get fewer ads

Defence on 17:26 - Jun 28 with 2045 viewspaulparker

Defence on 16:37 - Jun 28 by MedwayR

If that’s our defence next season then we are in trouble
We need x2 cb I’m not convinced by barbet , we need to replace Kane who simply isn’t up to it and can’t replace a 65 year old , and a left back as manning is off
That’s before the need for a centre midfielder who can pass a football and a striker who does need 6 chances a game like Hugill does

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Defence on 17:54 - Jun 28 with 1984 viewsNorthantsHoop

More worrying that we have not looked like scoring in the re-start games.
Defence on 19:40 - Jun 28 with 1871 viewsStanisgod

We were lucky to only lose 0-1 in both games really, we were hardly playing Real and Barca.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Defence on 19:42 - Jun 28 with 1856 viewsfrancisbowles

Defence on 17:26 - Jun 28 by paulparker

If that’s our defence next season then we are in trouble
We need x2 cb I’m not convinced by barbet , we need to replace Kane who simply isn’t up to it and can’t replace a 65 year old , and a left back as manning is off
That’s before the need for a centre midfielder who can pass a football and a striker who does need 6 chances a game like Hugill does

Didn't our six match unbeaten run coincide with Barbet getting back from injury. Yes he had a poor game yesterday with his distribution which is usually a big positive. He still made some decent blocks and tackles though.

We are weak in the air though.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2020 10:17]
Defence on 20:29 - Jun 28 with 1808 viewsGloucs_R

Defence on 19:42 - Jun 28 by francisbowles

Didn't our six match unbeaten run coincide with Barbet getting back from injury. Yes he had a poor game yesterday with his distribution which is usually a big positive. He still made some decent blocks and tackles though.

We are weak in the air though.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2020 10:17]

I don't think he's a bad player, but needs a leader beside him.

Defence on 09:51 - Jun 29 with 1629 viewsTheChef

Defence on 16:33 - Jun 28 by Gloucs_R

Only luton and Hull have let in more goals.

A few have mentioned it but we seem to lack a bit of leadership and some nastiness.

That's been the case for quite some seasons now. Probably 2014 was the last time we had that (I really dislike Barton, but he did at least give us some of that, one way or the other).

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Defence on 10:26 - Jun 29 with 1587 viewsfrancisbowles

Defence on 20:29 - Jun 28 by Gloucs_R

I don't think he's a bad player, but needs a leader beside him.

Well I agree with that but how do we then get Masterson the experience to realise his potential. Warburton was going to send him out on loan but had to play him and he has done pretty well, so far.

Perhaps the solution is to get another old head in and play three at the back but that is not MW's preferred formation.
Defence on 10:34 - Jun 29 with 1577 viewsEsox_Lucius

Defence on 10:26 - Jun 29 by francisbowles

Well I agree with that but how do we then get Masterson the experience to realise his potential. Warburton was going to send him out on loan but had to play him and he has done pretty well, so far.

Perhaps the solution is to get another old head in and play three at the back but that is not MW's preferred formation.

No point in bringing in any defensive players until MW commits to making the defence an area which needs work on. It would be interesting to get the (honest) viewpoint of Neil Banfield & John Eustace on this topic. We could have the five best defenders in the Championship but they would struggle without coaching and integration in to the playing strategy.

The grass is always greener.

Defence on 11:06 - Jun 29 with 1541 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Defence on 10:34 - Jun 29 by Esox_Lucius

No point in bringing in any defensive players until MW commits to making the defence an area which needs work on. It would be interesting to get the (honest) viewpoint of Neil Banfield & John Eustace on this topic. We could have the five best defenders in the Championship but they would struggle without coaching and integration in to the playing strategy.

Think you’re right. I prefer a defence with the likes of a Hill, Dunne, or a Macca in it. Such a defence is a different proposition than one without a dominant rock like figure pulling the strings. We’ve been lacking that solid figure since Hill and Dunne were in the back four (not seen enough of BFG2) and I’m not sure MW thinks that way.

That said, getting such players in isn’t easy, I’d hope MW would look for a no-nonsense centre-half for next season.

#backfivematters

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Defence on 11:21 - Jun 29 with 1524 viewsGloucs_R

Defence on 10:26 - Jun 29 by francisbowles

Or a quality left back?

Defence on 12:17 - Jun 29 with 1458 viewsdaveB

I don't think any of the defenders are bad players but there are two big issues with how defend. one is set pieces, we concede a lot of goals and chances through zonal marking and players being able to attack the ball whilst we are static. We either need to get a lot better at zonal marking or scrap it.

Also the midfield I don't think do enough to protect the back 4, a very good holding midfield player would be top of my list for the summer.

One thing these last 9 games look likely to show us though is that was are not as good as thought we were and possibly need more work done in the summer window than we may have thought a few weeks ago.
Defence on 12:25 - Jun 29 with 1449 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Defence on 12:17 - Jun 29 by daveB

I don't think any of the defenders are bad players but there are two big issues with how defend. one is set pieces, we concede a lot of goals and chances through zonal marking and players being able to attack the ball whilst we are static. We either need to get a lot better at zonal marking or scrap it.

Also the midfield I don't think do enough to protect the back 4, a very good holding midfield player would be top of my list for the summer.

One thing these last 9 games look likely to show us though is that was are not as good as thought we were and possibly need more work done in the summer window than we may have thought a few weeks ago.

I'd agree with that, Dave.

I also think that in the last two games our defence has been exposed due to our midfield being stretched. our three lines are too far apart, I think, so we can get overrun. This is not helped by the dip in the effectiveness of the hold-up play by Hugill and BOS.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Defence on 14:45 - Jun 29 with 1346 viewsWokingham_r

Wouldn't it help if the defence (and the whole team, for that matter) looked to be more than half-interested? And weren't already on the beach mentally? Because they're not putting enough effort in. Terrible display so far in the two restart games.

Or are we missing Grant Hall big time now?
Defence on 14:57 - Jun 29 with 1323 viewsderbyhoop

Rangel too old for another season - Questionable but he shouldn't count on playing more than 20 games
Kane - OK going forward but not great defensively
Barbet - inconsistent
Masterson - next 7 games are going to be very important in his development. He'll still only have 15 or so games under his belt, though
Manning - offers a lot going forward but lack of height and poor positional sense has been exploited by a lot of teams this season. If his positioning doesn't improve that will be exploited more and more. If he stays.
Wallace - experienced and a more natural LB than Manning. But for how long.
Niko seems to have done OK in Scotland. I'd leave judgement to the management team. Kakay out of contract and not good enough anyway. Be surprised if he isn't released
BFG not coming back
Hall, gone
Cameron, back up only

You've got Gubbins promoted to 1st team squad. From reading U23 reports, Domi seems a decent prospect at LB; Nathan Carlyle and Ben Wells may also get a chance.
We also had a triallist from Spurs in Jan/Feb who is out of contract this Summer.

I'm sure scouts have been looking around but probably at the same people everybody else has, e.g. Luke Woolfenden (Ipswich) , Alfie Kilgour (Bristol Rovers).

But, if last Summer is anything to go by, expect some incomers nobody outside the management is aware of.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Defence on 15:16 - Jun 29 with 1280 viewskensalriser

People seem convinced Manning will go, which may well be right, but where to? He doesn't seem consistent enough to be an attractive proposition for a side looking to be promoted. A less convincing player than the maligned Luongo.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Defence on 15:55 - Jun 29 with 1241 viewsLazyFan

I have stated for the last two seasons we needed two CB's.
I think this year we tried to sort it. Barbet was a decent signing once he got into how the club works. Masterson was a decent prospect too. But when BFG leaves we shall need two CB's for the third year running. it's not as if CB's are expensive compared to forwards either.

For RB, Kane is indeed a back-up. But he's getting better. So, we need one more RB as well. Shame we sold Furlong. Unless we get someone at the same level and age for under £2m a mistake that in my view.

Then there is mythical forward that we need. We need two actually. A striker and a target man. I propose taking a risk on Bogle as the target man. His stats ain't great, but he would be cheaper than Hugill who clearly is not good enough. People wanted Wells, no one wants Hugill.

2xCB, 1xRB, 1xCF, 1xST.

We need 4 players min and that's before we sell anyone. Will it be a forth season we need two CB's? No wonder our defensive record is crap, we have never sorted the defence out since Robinson and Chief left and it weren't that great then.

zzzzzzzzzz

Defence (n/t) on 10:43 - Jun 30 with 1124 viewsPaddyhoops

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024