Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Safari or Cruise 21:47 - Jan 30 with 3571 viewsqpr_1968

probably in 2022 when all this covid malarky is hopefully over, thinking of doing one of these.
are they what they are made out to be or over rated?

any one been to one or maybe both.
a bit of feed back from you chaps would be nice.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Safari or Cruise on 22:19 - Jan 30 with 2909 viewsDannyPaddox

I liked Minority Report but generally Tom Cruise gets on my wick. What’s this Safari geezer been in?
Safari or Cruise on 22:20 - Jan 30 with 2904 viewsqpr_1968

Safari or Cruise on 22:19 - Jan 30 by DannyPaddox

I liked Minority Report but generally Tom Cruise gets on my wick. What’s this Safari geezer been in?

Safari or Cruise on 22:24 - Jan 30 with 2897 viewsLongsufferingR

Safari 100%. Just to get up close to some of the most amazing animals on the planet is a tremendous buzz. Just don't make the mistake I did of going to a private game reserve. The animals are just as amazing but as they are brought in, you don't see as much of a variety or as many.

Don't get the cruising thing tbh. If I want to catch norovirus, I'll just lick the floor in McDonalds and save myself a few grand.
Safari or Cruise on 22:27 - Jan 30 with 2891 viewsqprxtc

I use Chrome now.

Safari or Cruise on 22:28 - Jan 30 with 2891 viewsqpr_1968

Safari or Cruise on 22:27 - Jan 30 by qprxtc

I use Chrome now.

i'll take that on board.

Safari or Cruise on 23:17 - Jan 30 with 2832 viewsMrSheen

We went to Zimbabwe on honeymoon, stayed in a couple of safari lodges and canoed down the Zambezi. It was a great experience, but I’m not sure what state Zimbabwe is in now.

Never had much interest in a cruise.
Safari or Cruise on 23:18 - Jan 30 with 2832 viewswortonranger

We absolutely love cruises. Have met wonderful people, seen amazing places and had brilliant fun.
. For me - and my wife - it’s like going on an adventure with interesting people and just a bit to stretch your comfort zone, but every day it’s home from home. Do a Marella one. ( TUI). All inclusive is standard and atmosphere is totally relaxed. Warning - if you like it you’ll be hooked for life. To illustrate, on one of our most recent ones I got to sing “Magic Hat” at random times and places with a fellow R who happened to be on board as well.
Never done Safari but my sister and brother in law have and they loved it. They also love cruises. Do both!
Safari or Cruise on 00:40 - Jan 31 with 2779 viewstimcocking

Have to say, i love both. Cruises are considered naff, but i can't think of much i like more. Always happy when i'm on a boat. Depends what cruise and where, obviously, but always pleasant.

Safari, if you love animals like i do, damn cool. You were allowed to drive around by yourself. We hired a car, no guides, nothing. It's like driving around jurassic park. Nobody in sight, all of a sudden the road is blocked by a herd of giraffe. Surreal. The animals seem to completely ignore the people and any traffic. They'll walk right past your door, like a metre or two. I vividly remember these pack of Hyaenas within touching distance...so beautiful.

A day or two of a safari kind of seemed enough, though. My brother found it dull, whereas to me it was one of my highlights. Africa was generally interesting, i thought, although i remember getting chased down the road by about 50 fellas on our first night out, so i should be a bit careful.
Login to get fewer ads

Safari or Cruise on 01:48 - Jan 31 with 2761 viewsBoston

Who can argue against sitting atop an elephant, wearing a pith helmet and firing a blunderbuss at anything that moves?
[Post edited 31 Jan 2021 1:50]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Safari or Cruise on 07:16 - Jan 31 with 2707 viewstraininvain

I’ve never been on a cruise so can’t comment but went on safari a couple of years ago for honeymoon and it was without doubt one of the best experiences I’ve ever had in life.

I wasn’t that fussed about it beforehand and largely went along with it as my Mrs wanted to go but once you’re out there watching the animals in their natural environment it’s a completely different story.

One tip is to try and avoid the more popular locations you can end up in queues of cars waiting to see the animals which would probably ruin some of the enjoyment.
Safari or Cruise on 08:14 - Jan 31 with 2674 viewsBlackCrowe

Safari about 4 years ago in South Africa on Botswana border. Mrs Crowe and I knew that we'd love it but were unprepared for the joy from the kids (aged around 14 and 11 at the time)...the 5am call to go on the morning drive each day, they were up and ready to go before us for the first time in their lives.

Cruising has never appealed really though a smaller boat around the Norwegian fjords might be nice.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Safari or Cruise on 08:31 - Jan 31 with 2656 viewsColesIndyRs

I went on safari in Namibia, it is a lot less developed than SA or Kenya and was pretty good value. I got to see most of your big ticket animals and even stayed in a Cheetah rehabilitation center.
The other thing that is a bit nuts about Namibia is it was a German colony for a fair while so you can find Bavarian style buildings in the desert. Also very nice beer.
A+ Would do again.
Safari or Cruise on 08:58 - Jan 31 with 2620 viewsThe_Beast1976

Been on safari numerous times in Kenya, Tanzania, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zimbabwe, and Botswana (often between England Test Matches in South Africa, or before or after a series there). Absolutely love it. Highly recommended.

I've not done many cruises, but one I did do was to Antarctica, Falkland Islands and South Georgia. That was absolutely stunning. Never seen anything like it before, and probably won't again. Highly recommended indeed (although you do spend a hell of a lot of time onboard the ship on that particular cruise).

Whilst not a sadari per se, but something which involves being outside watching animals, Madagascar is also worth a look. Watching the lemurs is amazing.

If you need any further info (including the most economical/inexpensive ways to do these things) or opinion, ask on here or drop me a message 😁
[Post edited 31 Jan 2021 9:08]
Safari or Cruise on 09:25 - Jan 31 with 2577 viewsstevec

Safari is breath taking. We did Zimbabwe, fantastic place, Botswana and South Africa. One thing I was advised was book with a Company that guarantees around no more than 4 to 5 in a jeep, it really does make it a far better experience.

As great an experience it is, tie it in with a general holiday. Spent the last 5 days in Cape Town, plenty to do and see there and rounded it off nicely.
Safari or Cruise on 09:36 - Jan 31 with 2560 viewssupahoopsa

Safari every time for me. Took the family here four years ago, https://www.garonga.com/ it was superb, luxurious tents, fabulous food and the morning and evening Safari drives were incredible. We got so close to the most incredible animals, we could almost touch male lions! We then went onto Zimbabwe, stayed here https://africatravelresource.com/safari-lodges/zimbabwe/victoria-falls/imvelo-za with fabulous luxury huts on the Zambezi river. We did white water rafting on the Zambez - a real adrenaline experience, visited Victoria falls and did a helicopter ride over them. All this was arranged by https://www.imaginetravel.com/ who I can recommend

Blue & White hooped blood runs through the family

Safari or Cruise on 12:12 - Jan 31 with 2479 viewsRangersDave

Lots of cruises include safari's if you look for them.

The cruise gives you the chance to wake up in a different country each or every other day (and not as a victim of the slave trade).

Recommend them both as a single entitiy and more so as a combined one.

Do the Galapagos before it shuts, nothing else will come close.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Safari or Cruise on 15:15 - Jan 31 with 2406 viewsBoston

Safari or Cruise on 18:16 - Jan 31 with 2353 viewsDorse

As international travel might still be difficult, why not try an Urban safari in Croydon? Hide near the bins at Asda, spot foxes, spuggies, a cat, several staffies and a man drinking metal polish and having a fight with with himself. Magical experience.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2021 18:18]

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Safari or Cruise on 18:30 - Jan 31 with 2324 viewsqpr_1968

Safari or Cruise on 18:16 - Jan 31 by Dorse

As international travel might still be difficult, why not try an Urban safari in Croydon? Hide near the bins at Asda, spot foxes, spuggies, a cat, several staffies and a man drinking metal polish and having a fight with with himself. Magical experience.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2021 18:18]

thats what we usually do, just wanted a bit of a change.

Safari or Cruise on 19:06 - Jan 31 with 2296 viewsTacticalR

Safari or Cruise on 01:48 - Jan 31 by Boston

Who can argue against sitting atop an elephant, wearing a pith helmet and firing a blunderbuss at anything that moves?

This is from Tim Harper's Underground Asia (2020):

'Shortly before Christmas 1921, under the eyes of press photographers and captured by the wonder of Cinechrome, all the military and civilian resources of the Raj were fully mobilized on its frontier, in the Terai, on the edge of the Himalayan foothills in Nepal. About a mile from the border, Edward, Prince of Wales was going hunting. The expedition had been a year in the planning: jungle had been cleared over two seasons, with labour drafted in from across the kingdom to make a road; electric cables had been laid for huge arc lamps that were hung in the trees. A base station was set up, with streets of huge tents and its own telegraph station, manned by Gurkha signallers from Rawalpindi. There were telephone wires and field stations in the forest to report the movement of the quarry. 'No rhino was untracked,' the official account declared, 'or tiger left to itself.' The camp was dressed like a film set; even the wastepaper basket by the prince's bed was the lower joint of a rhino's leg.

No more than an hour after his arrival, following a ceremonial blessing from Buddhist monks from Kathmandu, the Prince of Wales set off on the hunt. Tigers were 'ringed' by 100 elephants: some 300—400 elephants were involved in all. Soon a 9½-foot tiger was corralled, to await the prince. His first shot was a hit, but the kill went to a member of his staff. Each night buffaloes were tethered to lure the tigers to gorge themselves into somnambulance. The 'bag' during a week at the camp amounted to seventeen tigers, nine rhinoceros, two leopards and two bears. The prince was accompanied by a large retinue, which included his favourite cousin, Lord Louis Mountbatten, who kept a diary. He recorded the squabbles over the kills, and the dark mood of the prince, who found the odds between man and beast unsporting and was 'too keen on his riding and polo to care much about anything else'. The whole affair cost the kingdom of Nepal around £300,000.'

Air hostess clique

Safari or Cruise on 19:24 - Jan 31 with 2274 viewsstowmarketrange

Safari or Cruise on 08:58 - Jan 31 by The_Beast1976

Been on safari numerous times in Kenya, Tanzania, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zimbabwe, and Botswana (often between England Test Matches in South Africa, or before or after a series there). Absolutely love it. Highly recommended.

I've not done many cruises, but one I did do was to Antarctica, Falkland Islands and South Georgia. That was absolutely stunning. Never seen anything like it before, and probably won't again. Highly recommended indeed (although you do spend a hell of a lot of time onboard the ship on that particular cruise).

Whilst not a sadari per se, but something which involves being outside watching animals, Madagascar is also worth a look. Watching the lemurs is amazing.

If you need any further info (including the most economical/inexpensive ways to do these things) or opinion, ask on here or drop me a message 😁
[Post edited 31 Jan 2021 9:08]

I guess a cruise around the Falklands and Antarctica doesn’t come cheap?What was rough cost of a trip there?
Safari or Cruise on 19:43 - Jan 31 with 2258 viewsBoston

Safari or Cruise on 19:24 - Jan 31 by stowmarketrange

I guess a cruise around the Falklands and Antarctica doesn’t come cheap?What was rough cost of a trip there?

Two Destroyers, couple of Frigates....

Safari or Cruise on 22:08 - Jan 31 with 2194 viewsCiderwithRsie

Safari or Cruise on 01:48 - Jan 31 by Boston

Fair point. And it would improve our defence immeasurably.

Let's face it, putting Geoff Cameron on an elephant isn't going to make him any slower and surely as a septic he must be handy with a blunderbuss, they never go out without one.
Safari or Cruise on 22:09 - Jan 31 with 2193 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Safari or Cruise on 19:24 - Jan 31 by stowmarketrange

A teammate from my cricket team did a cruise to the South Shetlands in Antartica. He’s a keen photographer and ended up winning a competition in The Independant.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/travel-photo-year-competiti

His is the winner of Category 4 Landscape. ‘Penguins in the South Shetlands’

Must have cost a fortune to get there but think he had a good career when that was a thing. Although you wouldn’t know it to look at him.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2021 22:13]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Safari or Cruise on 09:38 - Feb 1 with 2082 viewstoboboly

Alternatively stay in the UK, you're safer and helping the economy.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024