Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goals for column 13:37 - Apr 8 with 1473 viewsMyke

The removal of the 45 or so goals by losing Eze, Hugill and Wells has been well documented. Add in BOS, Hall and Manning and there goes another 15 approx. Obviously that was never going to be replaced and we needed a huge reduction in our goals against column. We have achieved that, and at the beginning of the season I set Dykes, Chair and Bonne a target of 30 goals between them. They are currently on 18, less than 2/3 with a handful of games to go. Obviously Chaz has chipped in with 6 more, but even so, our four main attackers have clocked up 24 goals. They might yet collectively reach 30, (although Chaz hasn't done himself any favours if he gets banned) so I guess it may just about be achieved. I have said elsewhere that at CB signing is top of our list, but working on the assumption that Chaz is not here, do we need to address this for next season or do we hope that Dykes and Chair can become 15 goal a season players with Bonne/ Willock and Kellman weighing in with another 15 or so between them?
Goals for column on 14:13 - Apr 8 with 1403 viewsJuzzie

Conceding less goals was definitely a priority as that takes the burden off having to score more.

Last season we conceded 76, so far this season it's 46. That's a massive improvement.
Goals for column on 14:45 - Apr 8 with 1323 viewsTheChef

Goals for column on 14:13 - Apr 8 by Juzzie

Conceding less goals was definitely a priority as that takes the burden off having to score more.

Last season we conceded 76, so far this season it's 46. That's a massive improvement.

Yep - and hopefully for the last few games we can keep it as low as possible.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Goals for column on 18:55 - Apr 8 with 1173 viewsderbyhoop

I can't see either Dykes nor Chair contributing 15 apiece. Double figures would be good for Chair, 12+ for Dykes.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Goals for column on 19:18 - Apr 8 with 1150 viewsbosh67

Goals for column on 18:55 - Apr 8 by derbyhoop

I can't see either Dykes nor Chair contributing 15 apiece. Double figures would be good for Chair, 12+ for Dykes.

I kind of agree. I think Dykes has potential to be a good player but he is a Zamora type player rather than a Charlie type player. 12+ would be an excellent return. I think they should work on Bonne. Other people may not see it but he takes up good positions, he has the sense to be in the right place even if the final product isn't working. With really good coaching I think Bonne could have a real future and also be 12-15+.

Well, that my thoughts so obviously Bonne will be sold on!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Goals for column on 20:02 - Apr 8 with 1113 viewsCiderwithRsie

Goals for column on 19:18 - Apr 8 by bosh67

I kind of agree. I think Dykes has potential to be a good player but he is a Zamora type player rather than a Charlie type player. 12+ would be an excellent return. I think they should work on Bonne. Other people may not see it but he takes up good positions, he has the sense to be in the right place even if the final product isn't working. With really good coaching I think Bonne could have a real future and also be 12-15+.

Well, that my thoughts so obviously Bonne will be sold on!

Bonne's an odd one.

I agree that he seems to get into more scoring positions than Dykes (which is OK if Dykes plays that Zamora role and someone else scores the goals.) The goals he has scored have all been pretty good and if you just watched a tape of those you'd think he's a natural goal-scorer but in between there's too many misses and getting off-side.

My worry is that he's been pretty much what I was led to expect from the views of Charlton fans, I'm not seeing much improvement. Way too soon to write him off but starting next season with him and Dykes as the first choice strikers is going to be a hell of a gamble. If by some miracle we were able to afford Charlie it'd make a massive difference as I think another season's work on Dykes, Bonne and Chair (and Willock) would reveal their potential one way or another.
Goals for column on 22:17 - Apr 8 with 994 viewsT_Block

We should go out and get the best 18/19 year old strikers with pace we can afford based on the promise of a opportunity of a good run in first team football.

Promotion is based on a good defence and Dickie,Barbet et all plus a good goalkeeper is the reason why we have easily avoided a relegation struggle.

But we need to try Kelman and the youngsters now.

Young strikers who can get 50 plus games in League one and league Two and learn their job from a young age and then come back like eve is the route imo.
Goals for column on 08:18 - Apr 9 with 824 viewsgazza1

I have said for months that a striker is our top priority if we have any ambition. We need a forward that going to get us 20 goals next season and we may, just, be in with a good chance of doing very well. I am still very unconvinced that anyone that we have will get us 20 gaols. Problem is that good strikers/goal scorers don't come cheap.

Sign the players that we have on loan plus we need a couple more but not at the expense of a 20 goal striker.
Goals for column on 08:41 - Apr 9 with 808 viewsE15Hoop

Goals for column on 08:18 - Apr 9 by gazza1

I have said for months that a striker is our top priority if we have any ambition. We need a forward that going to get us 20 goals next season and we may, just, be in with a good chance of doing very well. I am still very unconvinced that anyone that we have will get us 20 gaols. Problem is that good strikers/goal scorers don't come cheap.

Sign the players that we have on loan plus we need a couple more but not at the expense of a 20 goal striker.

Agreed - and its important to stress that it needs to be a striker with real experience, game management and confidence to lead from the front, which Dykes clearly doesn't have enough of as yet. We HAVE to keep Charlie Austin - simple as that.
Login to get fewer ads

Goals for column on 10:45 - Apr 9 with 719 viewsrsonist

If their clubs didn't care about saving face and they weren't stepping down from such cushy contracts we could just get back Hugill and Wells (and Freeman, and Manning, and Luongo, and Robinson, and Smithies....)

More seriously though, I couldn't yet say Dykes and Bonne are write-offs and my assumption is Austin will stay. (I suppose if this were Football Manager I would try wheel and deal my way out of Bonne but IRL, I doubt its feasibility given we also have other areas to address with what little we have).

Do however think Johansen will prob be unaffordable and we may instead look to split his duties with Amos/Carroll and then bring in a more attack minded addition to the Adomah/Thomas bracket supporting Chair/Willock with the intention of more goals coming from there. Pritchard (career probably so low now he'll have less interest and take a bigger pay cut than SJ), or Twine, at least one winger as they definitely want more pace in.
Goals for column on 10:59 - Apr 9 with 695 viewsJeff

Goals for column on 08:18 - Apr 9 by gazza1

Whilst i get your point absolutely about the need for a striker (and this isn't aimed at you specifically...) but just wanted to comment on the absolute Unicorn that is a 20 goal a season striker.

over the last 10 championship seasons, the following number of players have scored 20 or more league goals:

20/21 2* (so far)
19/20 3
18/19 9
17/18 2
16/17 4
15/16 3
14/15 6
13/14 8
12/13 5
11/12 2

Which works out on average 4 people a year, and that's skewed slightly by 18/19 and 13/4 having a much higher than average total (and the class of 18/19 having Pukki, Abraham, Bowen, Maupey, Che Adams amongst others...)

so yes, it's vital we secure a decent goal scorer, ideally Austin with his love of the club making him slash his wages by 75%, but an actual 20 goal as season striker is probably way out of reach...

Can we not knock it?

Goals for column on 11:29 - Apr 9 with 680 viewsDorse

Goals for column on 10:59 - Apr 9 by Jeff

Whilst i get your point absolutely about the need for a striker (and this isn't aimed at you specifically...) but just wanted to comment on the absolute Unicorn that is a 20 goal a season striker.

over the last 10 championship seasons, the following number of players have scored 20 or more league goals:

20/21 2* (so far)
19/20 3
18/19 9
17/18 2
16/17 4
15/16 3
14/15 6
13/14 8
12/13 5
11/12 2

Which works out on average 4 people a year, and that's skewed slightly by 18/19 and 13/4 having a much higher than average total (and the class of 18/19 having Pukki, Abraham, Bowen, Maupey, Che Adams amongst others...)

so yes, it's vital we secure a decent goal scorer, ideally Austin with his love of the club making him slash his wages by 75%, but an actual 20 goal as season striker is probably way out of reach...

Really interesting figures there Jeff. I never properly considered that other teams simply didn't have 20-goal strikers either: I thought it was just us! Mind you, even when we had Eze, Hugill and Wells, they only got 45 between them so it shouldn't have surprised me really.

Therein lies the solution: three or four players getting into double figures is easier to do than finding that one, extremely expensive option up front who is only ever a bad tackle away from being out.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Goals for column on 11:42 - Apr 9 with 669 viewsPaddyhoops

I can't see Charlie being her next season but we always have room for a decent loanee.
I can't see Jordan hugill playing for Norwich in the Premier leauge so the liklihood is he will end up on loan.
I thought he did well here despite some of his famous attempts to decapitate people in the upper loft.
Bring him back!!
Goals for column on 13:14 - Apr 9 with 607 viewsLazyFan

I am just guessing but I suspect QPR shall loan another forward as we have learned we need a proven one to stay out of trouble.

But I am guessing we shall also look for a winger with pace to replace BOS and a striker to compliment Dykes who we have learned is more a hold-up player than a striker.

Unless Austin scores loads on his return, I doubt we shall take him next season.

This season we finally fixed the defence in ensuring we had two quality CB's. Dickie is clearly champ class, along with Seny and going 5 at the back we have massively improved. That has to be down to the whole management team, Stopping the rot and then improving it. We need one more CB and a LB to really secure it.

We can also see they are developing the attackers. Chair has improved as in not always going sideways or down corners. Dykes we had to work with to discover he's really a hold up player rather than a striker and Willock we have discovered can actually do an Henry and move in from the Wing to play the striker role if we need it.

zzzzzzzzzz

Goals for column on 15:24 - Apr 9 with 525 viewskensalriser

Goals for column on 11:42 - Apr 9 by Paddyhoops

I can't see Charlie being her next season but we always have room for a decent loanee.
I can't see Jordan hugill playing for Norwich in the Premier leauge so the liklihood is he will end up on loan.
I thought he did well here despite some of his famous attempts to decapitate people in the upper loft.
Bring him back!!

Definitely a relief Chas isn't going trans, not that I wouldn't support him mind, but it could pose problems for his player status.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024