Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Geordies after Dickie ? 08:44 - May 23 with 3862 viewswood_hoop

Sorry if a Spackman, probably bollox anyway.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-newcastle-united-set-sights-on-signin
Geordies after Dickie ? on 09:03 - May 23 with 3792 viewsDWQPR

Whether it’s true or not for the first time in a long time we have the trump cards. Dickie has a few years left on his contract, so if Newcastle want him then they’ll need to stump up a proper fee which for a PL standard centre half I would imagine will start at around £15million. Well done to the club because for the first time in a generation we have a cluster of players that have either come through the ranks or bought on the cheap that are worth a large amount of money and which we could continue to repeat the process and progress on the pitch.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Geordies after Dickie ? on 09:19 - May 23 with 3727 viewsbosh67

I think they may well be monitoring him but I think going there this coming season is bollox. I think Dickie has come along in leaps and bounds and got himself well established at this level. He is clearly a talented player, a leader and knows how to read the game much better now.

But... and I keep coming back to this. We changed to a back three partly to get the best out of Rob. He is a great player but he has no pace at all. At this level he is fine because he can compensate with his ability to read the game better, particularly when he is facing play. However that jump to the Prem is a huge one and although I think he could deal with reading the game to a certain extent my big fear in the Prem is that players like Rashford, Salah, Vardy, Son, Zaha and Aubameyang would all leave him for dust in a foot race.

However, he is clearly a really good player who technically has progressed light years in one season. If we get to the Prem he will need a lot of protection formation and other CB wise. If he did go to Newcastle they would have to do the same.

Obviously if Newcastle are serious they would have to put serious money down and we would be richer in pocket but he would be a big loss for us at this level. Certainly for his education at playing and being a leader he should stay right here for at least another season.

I am sure that others will come back and sight players like Huth, Morgan, Silva etc as not having any real pace but they all had other defenders around them with pace and all had great experience at a top level for quite some years.

All that said Dickie perhaps has the best defensive footballing brain we've seen since Roeder so for all my doubts re his speed at Prem he certainly is a great player for us and the way we play. And before people say Roeder wasn't quick, yes he was very quick. He was my mentor as a junior and he regularly outpaced me over short distances in training exercises and he had 12 years on me.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Geordies after Dickie ? on 09:45 - May 23 with 3621 viewsozexile

Geordies after Dickie ? on 09:19 - May 23 by bosh67

I think they may well be monitoring him but I think going there this coming season is bollox. I think Dickie has come along in leaps and bounds and got himself well established at this level. He is clearly a talented player, a leader and knows how to read the game much better now.

But... and I keep coming back to this. We changed to a back three partly to get the best out of Rob. He is a great player but he has no pace at all. At this level he is fine because he can compensate with his ability to read the game better, particularly when he is facing play. However that jump to the Prem is a huge one and although I think he could deal with reading the game to a certain extent my big fear in the Prem is that players like Rashford, Salah, Vardy, Son, Zaha and Aubameyang would all leave him for dust in a foot race.

However, he is clearly a really good player who technically has progressed light years in one season. If we get to the Prem he will need a lot of protection formation and other CB wise. If he did go to Newcastle they would have to do the same.

Obviously if Newcastle are serious they would have to put serious money down and we would be richer in pocket but he would be a big loss for us at this level. Certainly for his education at playing and being a leader he should stay right here for at least another season.

I am sure that others will come back and sight players like Huth, Morgan, Silva etc as not having any real pace but they all had other defenders around them with pace and all had great experience at a top level for quite some years.

All that said Dickie perhaps has the best defensive footballing brain we've seen since Roeder so for all my doubts re his speed at Prem he certainly is a great player for us and the way we play. And before people say Roeder wasn't quick, yes he was very quick. He was my mentor as a junior and he regularly outpaced me over short distances in training exercises and he had 12 years on me.

Depends where he goes. Admittedly if the team are playing a high line he'll struggle. He'll flourish in other teams.
Geordies after Dickie ? on 10:55 - May 23 with 3411 viewsBazzeR

Newcastle have been quite successful in purchasing some of our better players in the past with the likes of Ferdinand Peacock Roeder and Brock.
Geordies after Dickie ? on 11:13 - May 23 with 3343 viewsdenhamhoop2

Geordies after Dickie ? on 09:45 - May 23 by ozexile

Depends where he goes. Admittedly if the team are playing a high line he'll struggle. He'll flourish in other teams.

Would thrive for Newcastle then as they basically park the bus every match and look to hit teams on the break
Geordies after Dickie ? on 11:24 - May 23 with 3311 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

‘Give us all your monies or fck off’

Mark Warburton 2021
Geordies after Dickie ? on 13:27 - May 23 with 3050 viewsNorthantsHoop

Geordies after Dickie ? on 09:03 - May 23 by DWQPR

Whether it’s true or not for the first time in a long time we have the trump cards. Dickie has a few years left on his contract, so if Newcastle want him then they’ll need to stump up a proper fee which for a PL standard centre half I would imagine will start at around £15million. Well done to the club because for the first time in a generation we have a cluster of players that have either come through the ranks or bought on the cheap that are worth a large amount of money and which we could continue to repeat the process and progress on the pitch.

Totally agree, we are now either developing our own talent or buying sensibly with potential. As much as it concerns me on losing good players, best not get too attached to them, we must continue this model, it will bring rewards and solidity and hopefully a decent shot at the Premier league.
Geordies after Dickie ? on 14:04 - May 23 with 2950 viewsWelsh_Ranger

My only issue is that it would leave a void to fill. Agree with everything above and in fact now have a new respect and trust in our recruitment/scouting team but ideally Dickie stays another season allowing Masterson to have had a season of playing 1st team football and we rinse and repeat.

As someone else has said i like the fact that he is already on a long contract so nobody is leaving on the cheap.
Login to get fewer ads

Geordies after Dickie ? on 14:24 - May 23 with 2897 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Geordies after Dickie ? on 14:04 - May 23 by Welsh_Ranger

My only issue is that it would leave a void to fill. Agree with everything above and in fact now have a new respect and trust in our recruitment/scouting team but ideally Dickie stays another season allowing Masterson to have had a season of playing 1st team football and we rinse and repeat.

As someone else has said i like the fact that he is already on a long contract so nobody is leaving on the cheap.

I’m terrible at understanding player values so I’m going to rhetorically round his value to £10m.

If we sell him for that and then buy 3 young well scouted players for £3m each, then we’d have to be really unlucky for none of those three to step into his shoes. If we are lucky we may have two or three of him and repeat the process until we get promoted eventually.

This system works. While not wanting to see our best talent go I celebrate interest from Prem clubs. It means we are doing something right.

I estimate we have made more transfer money under Warburton than all the other post Premiership managers combined.

The future is bright, but I also know it’s easier said than done (see BOS)
[Post edited 23 May 2021 16:06]
Geordies after Dickie ? on 14:29 - May 23 with 2875 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Geordies after Dickie ? on 14:24 - May 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

I’m terrible at understanding player values so I’m going to rhetorically round his value to £10m.

If we sell him for that and then buy 3 young well scouted players for £3m each, then we’d have to be really unlucky for none of those three to step into his shoes. If we are lucky we may have two or three of him and repeat the process until we get promoted eventually.

This system works. While not wanting to see our best talent go I celebrate interest from Prem clubs. It means we are doing something right.

I estimate we have made more transfer money under Warburton than all the other post Premiership managers combined.

The future is bright, but I also know it’s easier said than done (see BOS)
[Post edited 23 May 2021 16:06]

Agree and see the logic. I guess what i was trying to say is that as we saw early in the season our new additions struggled to adapt to the performance levels required due to the step up in divisions so i would personally like to have those new additions in and training with MW and understanding what he wants before we sell Dickie. IE that cab is already in the rank like Eze and then Chair.

Obviously thats in an ideal world.
Geordies after Dickie ? on 15:40 - May 23 with 2721 viewsLongsufferingR

Mepham was £15m wasn't he? Not fit to lace Dickie's boots, so let's start at £30m and see where we go.
Geordies after Dickie ? on 15:44 - May 23 with 2702 viewsdanehoop

Hope that there isn't any substance to this (at least not this season).

I'd really like a full season with the team that have had since January. I'd love to see what we could do. Certainly think top 6 finish is possible and think that Dickies development this year has been a huge part of our progress.

Never knowingly understood

Geordies after Dickie ? on 15:53 - May 23 with 2660 viewsT_Block

Bosh67 Spot on.
PS I voted for Barbet in POTY.

pps Did Barbet get many votes? Did not see the figures.
Geordies after Dickie ? on 16:41 - May 23 with 2530 viewsCiderwithRsie

The nice thing about this story is that the likes of "football insider" think it's credible that Premier League clubs might not only want to buy our player but also think that they can sell him on for shedloads later.

I note that the story says his contract with us runs until end 2024 and also that according to trasnfermarkt his two previous transfers were within 10 months of end of contract (to us) and within 6 months (to Oxford Utd from Reading.) Unless his head has been turned (he seems a steady bloke) there's no reason for us to sell nor for him to want to leave until he's played another season and put a few more millions not his transfer value.
Geordies after Dickie ? on 16:47 - May 23 with 2495 viewsaston_hoop

He's from Wokingham and has played for Reading, Basingstoke, Oxford and us. He might be annoyed if he finally has to move house.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Geordies after Dickie ? on 17:00 - May 23 with 2423 viewsBenny_the_Ball

"United see Dickie as someone with huge potential who can develop and possibly offer them huge resale value in the future."

An odd transfer rumour on two counts. Firstly, Dickie is our current POTY and, more importantly, under contract so if he leaves this summer he won't go cheaply. Secondly, would any player be impressed by a Premier League club looking to sell them on before they've even signed?
Geordies after Dickie ? on 20:39 - May 23 with 2149 viewsMyke

Geordies after Dickie ? on 17:00 - May 23 by Benny_the_Ball

"United see Dickie as someone with huge potential who can develop and possibly offer them huge resale value in the future."

An odd transfer rumour on two counts. Firstly, Dickie is our current POTY and, more importantly, under contract so if he leaves this summer he won't go cheaply. Secondly, would any player be impressed by a Premier League club looking to sell them on before they've even signed?

um.. yes.. as they would be selling to a 'top six' club which means more money and an opportunity to win trophies
Geordies after Dickie ? on 13:22 - May 24 with 1782 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Geordies after Dickie ? on 20:39 - May 23 by Myke

um.. yes.. as they would be selling to a 'top six' club which means more money and an opportunity to win trophies

um...no... as Newcastle will have to pay a decent fee to secure him this summer (as Rob is under contract), QPR will want a significant sell-on fee included in any deal, Dickie could leave Newcastle on a free in future (therefore there's no guarantee of a future profit) and Dickie, whilst decent, is not top 6 material.

Knowing Mike Ashley Newcastle's strategy for making a profit in future has little to do with selling on to a top 6 club. Quite simply he wants to buy the player cheap now but QPR are not that club anymore. Hopefully with a few more transfers like Eze, PL clubs will start getting the message.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024