Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry 13:10 - Feb 20 with 23203 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

Match Preview: Dale vs Coventry 20th Feb 2020 13:08
After what feels like an age following last weekend's postponement, Dale return to action with a home fixture against high-flying Coventry on Saturday afternoon. 0

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 10:56 - Feb 23 with 2407 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 22:06 - Feb 22 by kiwidale

Doing the same thing with the same result and keep doing it expecting a different result is utter folly. BBM will lose his job sooner than later because of it and will have only himself to blame.

Does nobody say to BBM, "look gaffer,this just aint working,can we try summat different?"
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 11:01 - Feb 23 with 2381 viewsmacro

The controlled passing has worked on occasions this season but there needs to be more of a plan B. Mix it up a bit rather than do the tippy tappy. The tippy tappy has worked well against the poorer sides but decent sides expose it.
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 11:02 - Feb 23 with 2370 views442Dale

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 10:56 - Feb 23 by Yorkshire_Dale

Does nobody say to BBM, "look gaffer,this just aint working,can we try summat different?"

Would argue it does work, but not from the start of every game. As a tactic and a way of playing as a club, it’s a good one however we cannot keep persisting with it as soon as a match kicks off. The opposition flood forward even when we have the ball. Incorporate it at different stage during a game and it would be effective. We’ve scored enough good goals to illustrate that.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 11:15 - Feb 23 with 2297 viewsdingdangblue

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 11:02 - Feb 23 by 442Dale

Would argue it does work, but not from the start of every game. As a tactic and a way of playing as a club, it’s a good one however we cannot keep persisting with it as soon as a match kicks off. The opposition flood forward even when we have the ball. Incorporate it at different stage during a game and it would be effective. We’ve scored enough good goals to illustrate that.

When we are winning games no one is bothered about the possession game - it eats up time and we have the ball. I think the main problem yesterday was the fact Coventry took the lead so early and people start getting annoyed as it looks like we are happy enough to pass it around at the back and not look to score an equaliser. I was quite shocked yesterday at the amount of booing in the Pearl St end - even just a couple of passes from centre backs to full backs or vice versa was getting a chorus of boos - that is not helpful to the players at all and needs to stop.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 11:23 - Feb 23 with 2264 viewsDalenet

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 11:15 - Feb 23 by dingdangblue

When we are winning games no one is bothered about the possession game - it eats up time and we have the ball. I think the main problem yesterday was the fact Coventry took the lead so early and people start getting annoyed as it looks like we are happy enough to pass it around at the back and not look to score an equaliser. I was quite shocked yesterday at the amount of booing in the Pearl St end - even just a couple of passes from centre backs to full backs or vice versa was getting a chorus of boos - that is not helpful to the players at all and needs to stop.

I don't see the point in booing the players....but you can see why people do. Fortress Spotland is long gone. 5 home wins all season and rarely 10 minutes per game where the team look to push up ,,,,,,,is it any wonder people are booing. It is BBM that needs to change. The players are good enough and must know it isn't working. I am not prepared to listen to his post match ramblings. If he can't see it and isn't prepared to change he must be prepared to lose his job. All very sad
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 11:28 - Feb 23 with 2246 viewsEllDale

If, as been alleged, we have no movement upfront, what has happened to Tyler Smith?
We clamoured for a striker during the transfer window and got one yet he never gets onto the pitch.
I realise that Baah May have different attributes and may have been picked with a specific gam plan in mind and that BBM sees what goes on in training but Done and Wilbraham now appear to be above Smith in the pecking order at the moment.
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 11:30 - Feb 23 with 2240 views1907

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 11:15 - Feb 23 by dingdangblue

But we rarely win games. This style of football needs to fook off.
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 11:48 - Feb 23 with 2170 viewsdingdangblue

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 11:30 - Feb 23 by 1907

But we rarely win games. This style of football needs to fook off.

Taken the lead in games then.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 11:59 - Feb 23 with 2143 viewspaulscho

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 08:53 - Feb 23 by AtThePeake

Just over a year ago, we were beaten 0-4 at home by Bradford. We then lost 5-0 at Doncaster and then 0-4 at home to Burton Albion. All within a week.

It's bad at the moment and yesterday was easily the most frustrated I've been with BBM's tactics - but if this is the worst you've seen in a very long time then I don't think you were going to games last season.

I did watch all of last season for my pains.
However what springs to mind is when BBM was put in charge we started to defend better and not conceed,i think we won 1 0 at least 3 or 4 times in the closeing 6 weeks.
We had a couple of blips(pompey away,i was present)
So my point is we made a plan last year and executed it perfectly,so are we that shallow that we cant remember those reults and those tactics.
For god sake BBM ditch plan A as its not working....before the you join the sack race.....im sad to admit it but i have joined the BOO boys .

livinginadalewonderland

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 12:02 - Feb 23 with 2136 viewsRooleyblue

The football being played under BBM is rubbish, it's boring, it's negative and it's frustrating.
We have in all areas of the squad decent and capable players of playing good football to win football matches.
The problem is the tactics, I am not a football purist, I go to football for entertainment, to have an enjoyable afternoon and if possible come away happy that we have won.
If we don't win but but have put in the effort then that's football, we don't have a divine right to win, but abit of effort and entertainment is what I go for.
The club can't expect the supporters to turn up every week to see a product that we are seeing at the moment, people are getting turned off by the negatively.
I haven't seen yesterday's stats, but how many shots did we have,(not many ) but I bet we had most precession again.
At one point yesterday we won a free kick in front of BBM right on the half way line.
equal distance to both goal lines, Luke took the kick.
Did we
A, put some of our players into the Coventry box and pump the ball in on the hope of creating a scoring chance?
Or
B, Pass the ball back to our own goalkeeper so we could then retreat on to our own 18 yard line and play it out to one of our defenders to keep precession?
Always B, to BBM precession is king and as our recent drubbing by Peterborough confirms precession doesn't win games, creating and converting chances into goals does!
When Steve Taylor won the golden boot many moons ago the players we had then where nowhere near the quality we have now, but we created chances in the 18 box and he converted them.
With the tactics we play now he would be lucky to have got into double figures in this team, which makes Henderson's goal tally all the more remarkable.
Will I renew my season ticket next year? Playing like this no chance, I might not even see the season out, it's that boring.
Before certain supporters then turn and say good riddance have a think about the supporters who like me attend for entertainment and the love of their home team Rochdale AFC, without supporters the club is nothing, what is the point of performing if there is no one to watch and what is the point of sponsorship if no one is there to see it.
I don't want much, just a team who tries to create chances and tries to win, then with it will come better entertainment and maybe more supporters.
Is that too much too ask?
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 12:05]
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 12:08 - Feb 23 with 2102 views442Dale

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 11:48 - Feb 23 by dingdangblue

Taken the lead in games then.

Not at all. Stop playing the first quarter of games in our own half. It’s that simple to make a substantial change within the current framework.

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 12:14 - Feb 23 with 2067 viewspaulscho

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 12:02 - Feb 23 by Rooleyblue

The football being played under BBM is rubbish, it's boring, it's negative and it's frustrating.
We have in all areas of the squad decent and capable players of playing good football to win football matches.
The problem is the tactics, I am not a football purist, I go to football for entertainment, to have an enjoyable afternoon and if possible come away happy that we have won.
If we don't win but but have put in the effort then that's football, we don't have a divine right to win, but abit of effort and entertainment is what I go for.
The club can't expect the supporters to turn up every week to see a product that we are seeing at the moment, people are getting turned off by the negatively.
I haven't seen yesterday's stats, but how many shots did we have,(not many ) but I bet we had most precession again.
At one point yesterday we won a free kick in front of BBM right on the half way line.
Did we
A, put some of our players into the Coventry box and pump the ball in on the hope of creating a scoring chance?
Or
B, Pass the ball back to our own goalkeeper so we could then retreat on to our own 18 yard line and play it out to one of our defenders to keep precession?
Always B, to BBM precession is king and as our recent drubbing by Peterborough confirms precession doesn't win games, creating and converting chances into goals does!
When Steve Taylor won the golden boot many moons ago the players we had then where nowhere near the quality we have now, but we created chances in the 18 box and he converted them.
With the tactics we play now he would be lucky to have got into double figures in this team, which makes Henderson's goal tally all the more remarkable.
Will I renew my season ticket next year? Playing like this no chance, I might not even see the season out, it's that boring.
Before certain supporters then turn and say good riddance have a think about the supporters who like me attend for entertainment and the love of their home team Rochdale AFC, without supporters the club is nothing, what is the point of performing if there is no one to watch and what is the point of sponsorship if no one is there to see it.
I don't want much, just a team who tries to create chances and tries to win, then with it will come better entertainment and maybe more supporters.

And so say all of us....
I honestly cant see me lasting the season out..

livinginadalewonderland

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 12:28 - Feb 23 with 2017 viewstodmordendale

It is indeed fortunate that there are 3 utterly shite teams below us this season so the usual 50 (ish) point safety margin will not apply. Based upon our form this season averaging 1 point per game, then our final total should be around 44/45 points.
That has been relegation points for several season now.
BBM is very fortunate indeed.
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 12:54 - Feb 23 with 1956 viewsAussieDale

In retrospect that widely praised display at Southend could well be the worst thing that's happened to us this year.
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 13:33 - Feb 23 with 1866 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 12:54 - Feb 23 by AussieDale

In retrospect that widely praised display at Southend could well be the worst thing that's happened to us this year.

Indeedy........We were hyped up by the wonder goal at Southend ( ..and it was a thing of beauty) but remember that Southend have conceded another 81 (eighty one) goals besides that one.

It really is a good job that there are 3 other shittier teams in the League but we are a close No4 !
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 13:40 - Feb 23 with 1842 views1907

The entire clubs needs a serious reality check at the type of nonsensical football we are trying to play. I have never felt as disillusioned as I do right now. Some of what we witnessed yesterday was bordering insanity and I won’t be putting up with it for much longer. I sincerely hope yesterday is a turning point for the club because we cannot continue with this style of football on these mus bath pitches.

Everyone is quick to slate the directors but for me the manager needs serious words right now.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 13:41]
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 14:11 - Feb 23 with 1765 viewsDaleiLama

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 12:02 - Feb 23 by Rooleyblue

Did we
Or

The free kick you mentioned was also a defining moment for me. It was inside their half by a couple of yards and had come from a passage of play where we had been high up the pitch (I'm struggling to type attacking) and so had plenty of men forward. Passing back to the keeper was not only unnecessary, but really underlined our home mindset and intent. We were 1 down, at home, with 27 minutes elapsed. I am really struggling with who or what we have become as a club on the pitch now. It's stating the bl€€ding obvious but the only way to win games is to score more goals than the other team. So what do we do when we have a chance to put pressure on the opponents goal? Put pressure back on our own.

We've had and still have injuries. We've not got the best squad in the league. In the no fear era though, we always made the best of what we had. Yesterday's team looked good on paper. Coventry were good too - quick, accurate passes, kept their shape very well and attacked in numbers but squandered some chances. We made them look a lot better than they were though, as we have done with a lot of teams this year, by giving them virtually nothing to worry about for most of the game. If we'd had a go at Cov yesterday, we may even have got a result out of it. They looked worried after Alby came on and we scored. We are dull, predictable, slow in the build-up and beat ourselves more often than we beat the opposition. It is becoming tiresome beyond words and the escapism that Saturday afty brought is seeming more and more like a bad habit as each week progresses.

I get that our L1 status means a lot to us as a club financially, but I also get the feeling that our insistence on playing the way we do (to not lose rather than to win) is more likely to have the opposite effect if we persist with it into next season, when there will be 4 relegation slots rather than 3 and one probably won't be occupied by a team starting with a hefty points deduction. Reading this thread and the forum generally recently, there may be a lot less folk paying the rumoured higher prices for STs next year to sit through 23 more games of this dross. How did we "evolve" from no fear football to capitulation? It's bl00dy soul-destroying.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 14:14 - Feb 23 with 1761 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

The key word for me is “pragmatism”. If we were finding it difficult to play a possession based passing game on decent pitches in October then what chance have we got now? What’s even more worrying is the lack of pace & urgency at the back & in midfield (Ryan aside). It took us til 0-2 down & 70 mins in to come close to matching Coventrys energy & work rate.
It looks like we’ll stay up regardless so personally I’m prepared to write this season off & I’ll renew my ticket for next year. BBM will have hopefully got rid of the dead wood at the club & strengthened in key areas but it will be his squad entirely by then & as such I’ll be a much harsher judge than I am now.
The manager needs to be able to mix tactics up where necessary, if he can’t or won’t then the board will exercise some pragmatism of its own.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 14:17]
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 14:37 - Feb 23 with 1681 viewsfitzochris

I’ve now watched the fans’ forum and, as good as the directors were, one thing puzzles me.

This rancour towards our style of play has been prevalent for most of this season. BBM was sat there and yet not one person asked him about it. Not one.

Wasted opportunity.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 14:38 - Feb 23 with 1677 views442Dale

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 14:11 - Feb 23 by DaleiLama

The free kick you mentioned was also a defining moment for me. It was inside their half by a couple of yards and had come from a passage of play where we had been high up the pitch (I'm struggling to type attacking) and so had plenty of men forward. Passing back to the keeper was not only unnecessary, but really underlined our home mindset and intent. We were 1 down, at home, with 27 minutes elapsed. I am really struggling with who or what we have become as a club on the pitch now. It's stating the bl€€ding obvious but the only way to win games is to score more goals than the other team. So what do we do when we have a chance to put pressure on the opponents goal? Put pressure back on our own.

We've had and still have injuries. We've not got the best squad in the league. In the no fear era though, we always made the best of what we had. Yesterday's team looked good on paper. Coventry were good too - quick, accurate passes, kept their shape very well and attacked in numbers but squandered some chances. We made them look a lot better than they were though, as we have done with a lot of teams this year, by giving them virtually nothing to worry about for most of the game. If we'd had a go at Cov yesterday, we may even have got a result out of it. They looked worried after Alby came on and we scored. We are dull, predictable, slow in the build-up and beat ourselves more often than we beat the opposition. It is becoming tiresome beyond words and the escapism that Saturday afty brought is seeming more and more like a bad habit as each week progresses.

I get that our L1 status means a lot to us as a club financially, but I also get the feeling that our insistence on playing the way we do (to not lose rather than to win) is more likely to have the opposite effect if we persist with it into next season, when there will be 4 relegation slots rather than 3 and one probably won't be occupied by a team starting with a hefty points deduction. Reading this thread and the forum generally recently, there may be a lot less folk paying the rumoured higher prices for STs next year to sit through 23 more games of this dross. How did we "evolve" from no fear football to capitulation? It's bl00dy soul-destroying.

Your last question is not only one for Dale, but the game as a whole. The game has indeed “evolved” and it’s really not much fun anymore.

Teams and managers think things through far too much and talk about “margins” like they’re cleverer than the rest of us. A simple game has become ridiculously complicated by the changes that have bled through over the last decade or so.

It would take a manager with the status and ability of Alex Ferguson/Bob Paisley/Brian Clough to turn up again to shake it all up. As it is we are stuck in an endless loop of coaches who study the high press, passages of play, concentrating on playing without the ball (Christ, that’s really hard to type) and formations that stick to a pre-conceived idea that this is how they should be set up now, irrespective of players on the pitch (see Wilbraham out wide as an example). Will it get any better at Dale? The question should be will it get any better in the world of football?

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 14:43 - Feb 23 with 1654 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 14:11 - Feb 23 by DaleiLama

"It is becoming tiresome beyond words and the escapism that Saturday afty brought is seeming more and more like a bad habit as each week progresses."

Indeed. It really pains me to say this, but it's rapidly becoming a trial to be endured - a burden even. And no, i'm not exaggerating. I actually felt liberated on exiting the Pearl St after their second went in, and the half-hearted cheer i heard as we scored made no difference

I've honestly never felt that watching Dale before; not during the last days of Hill's tenure, not during the abject displays under Eyre, not during the disgust at the antics we tried under Coleman, nor during the long years of dross served up in the late 70s & 80s

I like BBM, i really do. I warmed to his interviews and his style of play as he turned us around this time last year. I've loved the moments of cup glory he's brought us - none of them due to the type of play we're stuck with right now. We were behind against Man U (away) and Newcastle (home), and we had a go and succeeded

What sticks in my mind from this week are two things. The look on the player's faces as they were made to look mugs from passing themselves into trouble before the inevitable breakdown and concession of the second goal. I think they'll be rapidly losing faith with this system as we speak. The other thing is the only discordant note from the fans forum, when directors referred to wanting to put an exciting product in front of the fans - which is what all the bar charts, time and effort is about. I stood there (seating capacity full, that shows our enthusiasm) and thought - hang on, are you seeing what we're seeing out on the pitch?

[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 14:50]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 15:02 - Feb 23 with 1563 viewsfinberty

Just towards the end, Sanchez did an unusual thing and boot the ball from hand way upfield. It might have been my wishful thinking, but I'm sure that Wilbraham, Henderson and Done sped onto it, one laying it to the other with the the third making a distracting run. Whilst nothing came of it, it occurred to me that we do actually have decent and hungry forwards, but they see so little of the ball in useful positions that frustration must be high.

I sensed some of Henderson's former red mist towards the end when he scythed their man near the touchline. It cannot be surprising, and makes his tally this season even more extraordinary.
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 15:22 - Feb 23 with 1501 viewsRAFCBLUE

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 13:33 - Feb 23 by Yorkshire_Dale

Indeedy........We were hyped up by the wonder goal at Southend ( ..and it was a thing of beauty) but remember that Southend have conceded another 81 (eighty one) goals besides that one.

It really is a good job that there are 3 other shittier teams in the League but we are a close No4 !

You do have to think about what will happen at the end of this season.

Bolton, Southend and probably Tranmere down. Replacing them are likely to be Swindon, Exeter, Plymouth - all of whom will be stronger teams than those being replaced.

It's four down again next season and we have survived by stealth for the last two season and this one looks no better.

We have deteriorated in relative terms for 3 years now.

There needs to be a radical think about what we are setting out to do next term. If we are trying to produce (and recruit the players) who want to play this possession based football then we are destined to fail on a bog of a pitch and limited resources.

Attacking football and goals put people in seats.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 15:33 - Feb 23 with 1460 viewsJames1980

Don't forget next season the pitch should be much improved.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 15:38 - Feb 23 with 1453 viewsfinberty

One of our more unorthodox forays into their box came with Sanchez' wind-assisted monster punt, that went up like a Saturn V, and eventually fell to earth just six yards out, giving Henderson a single chance to make contact and direct it before it reared up and into the Pearl Street.

For unpredictability, it beats farting around in our own half.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024