Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry 13:10 - Feb 20 with 23206 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

Match Preview: Dale vs Coventry 20th Feb 2020 13:08
After what feels like an age following last weekend's postponement, Dale return to action with a home fixture against high-flying Coventry on Saturday afternoon. 0

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 19:31 - Feb 22 with 3145 viewsSuddenLad

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 19:24 - Feb 22 by VivaDonaldo

Been hearing a lot on here about fans moaning about a lack of investment in the team, yet seeing some fans threaten not to renew their season tickets also?

We're one of the cheapest season tickets in the country and with our crowds that's no mean feat. The manager is trying to play champagne football on a lemonade budget and in a league where almost all teams are quaffing the Dom Perignon!

I think this close season could be a transformative one, new pitch coming, change in the playing squad (hopefully continuing our manager's excellent recruitment record) and another year in league 1 (likely). Is this really the time for people to be jumping ship?

Ultimately it's a personal decision for those people and their own circumstances and thoughts, but for me I can't fathom giving up coming to home games.

Ditto.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 19:31 - Feb 22 with 3145 viewsSteveo473

Toothless uninspiring performance. BBM needs to get a grip..1st time season ticket holder, what will keep me and the lad for next season?. A crying shame..the worse thing being I could make something of that squad at a level 1 FA standard!
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 19:34 - Feb 22 with 3114 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 19:02 - Feb 22 by SuddenLad

Worryingly, when Baah went off he was clutching his chest and was followed quickly down the tunnel by the doctor. He, in turn, indicated to someone upstairs, by gripping his chest.

I hope the kid is OK, but it idid look a bit of a worry. He was struggling to keep and clearly had a problem.

Yes wishing the young lad a speedy recovery whatever it is that is ailing him.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 19:45 - Feb 22 with 3038 viewsnordenblue

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 19:34 - Feb 22 by James1980

Yes wishing the young lad a speedy recovery whatever it is that is ailing him.

It doesn't look good by the various descriptions, hope it's not linked to his heart. Surely with all the monitoring that now goes on they'd pick up on it if so.
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 20:01 - Feb 22 with 2932 viewssooty_dale

On the face of it, a 2-1 'battling loss' to top of the league isn't too bad but the style of play has got to improve. When it comes off,it's fantastic but how often does that happen? Once in every 200-250 phases of play? If that?

Also add into the mix our pitch, it's not conducive to playing around at the back - adapting to the conditions is key and BBM needs to start considering that. Our players seem to have been conditioned into taking the safe (backwards) pass 90% of the time. It's so frustrating and today you could really hear this in the crowd and that will only get worse the more this continues.

This style of play is a good option to have, but it shouldn't be the only one we use.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2020 20:03]
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 20:02 - Feb 22 with 2931 viewstodmordendale

Week in week out we persist in farting about at the back in our own half. When the ball is moved forward, all our players are facing our own goal and forced to play it back.
Opposition teams can see it, the supporters can see it. It causes problems and loses games.
Stubborn by BBM. I do not recall any other team we have played actually playing in this style. We
just end up with someone hoofing it in the end. We could do that to begin with. It has to change.
We are not Barcelona. We are league one.
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 20:16 - Feb 22 with 2857 viewsrochdaleriddler

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 19:45 - Feb 22 by nordenblue

It doesn't look good by the various descriptions, hope it's not linked to his heart. Surely with all the monitoring that now goes on they'd pick up on it if so.

They didn’t with muamba

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 20:18 - Feb 22 with 2842 views1907

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 18:57 - Feb 22 by Shun

We aren’t a League Two club though. We haven’t been for 6 years. Our illustrious opponents today have been a League Two club more recently than we have.

I wish people would stop saying that. We’re a League One club. We’ve been a League One club for 6 years now and we’re here on merit. How about we start acting like that and stop being afraid to attack at home?

I do agree with your 2nd paragraph though.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2020 19:14]

I get what you’re saying but I’m merely going off budget and gates.

I genuinely believe there is an opportunity for us to just play as we should and we would pick up far more points.
Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 20:55 - Feb 22 with 2702 viewsToffeemanc

Pretty poor performance again for me and am sick to death of our style of play which certainly doesn't go hand in hand with our bog of a pitch.
On the subject of the pitch did anyone think we have narrowed it further because of the condition of the pitch? From the pearl street stand the touch line on the main stand looked to have about a 2 metre run off from the touchline. The pitch looked even narrower to the previous narrowing done at the start of the season pdue to the poor drainage on that side.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 20:58 - Feb 22 with 2683 viewsrochdaleriddler

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 20:55 - Feb 22 by Toffeemanc

Pretty poor performance again for me and am sick to death of our style of play which certainly doesn't go hand in hand with our bog of a pitch.
On the subject of the pitch did anyone think we have narrowed it further because of the condition of the pitch? From the pearl street stand the touch line on the main stand looked to have about a 2 metre run off from the touchline. The pitch looked even narrower to the previous narrowing done at the start of the season pdue to the poor drainage on that side.

Gets narrower by the week

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 21:26 - Feb 22 with 2567 viewsSandyman

A dire watch today. Most of what my fellow Daleys have said in the Sandy and in the pub after the game has been said here.
This tippy tappy sideways / backwards ad infinitum is boring, frustrating and has been worked out by every other team in the league. Ask Phil Parkinson who sussed us out, went public with his observations, and we still played the same way ending up 0-3 down in half an hour. Naive indeed. When it goes wrong (so obvious, my lad called out the second goal 10 seconds before it happened) we are self-destructing. Repeating this game after game is a nonsense. Long time ago at school you were taught NEVER to pass it about in front of the goalkeeper in case they opposition were able to sneak in and score. We've done that so many times under BBM it is untrue, and that is down to the manager to sort - he's seen this tactic fail enough times. Jim passed it back / sideways at least 3 times when Alby was screaming for the ball, then lost possession and then 0-2. I'm not in the BBM out camp by any means but if the same errors keep repeating on the pitch, it's his responsibility.
People have mentioned Luke. Once Alby came on and we went a bit more direct (good!) , why was Luke on his own on the RHS to win the ball and do something with it with no-one in front of him when there were 6 players on the left waiting for it? Strange tactic indeed.
Structurally, this club is in a great place given our small fanbase and RAFC deserves supporting for doing its best. If you weren't at the forum, listen to the audio. RAFC is run properly and professionally. I will renew my season ticket / card because of this .
The football, the "raison d'etre" of the club, lags way behind and with some of the players we have, they are better than what is on show. Is the apparently "one-track" manager fit for purpose here? Your move BBM.
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 21:46 - Feb 22 with 2474 viewspaulscho

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 21:26 - Feb 22 by Sandyman

A dire watch today. Most of what my fellow Daleys have said in the Sandy and in the pub after the game has been said here.
This tippy tappy sideways / backwards ad infinitum is boring, frustrating and has been worked out by every other team in the league. Ask Phil Parkinson who sussed us out, went public with his observations, and we still played the same way ending up 0-3 down in half an hour. Naive indeed. When it goes wrong (so obvious, my lad called out the second goal 10 seconds before it happened) we are self-destructing. Repeating this game after game is a nonsense. Long time ago at school you were taught NEVER to pass it about in front of the goalkeeper in case they opposition were able to sneak in and score. We've done that so many times under BBM it is untrue, and that is down to the manager to sort - he's seen this tactic fail enough times. Jim passed it back / sideways at least 3 times when Alby was screaming for the ball, then lost possession and then 0-2. I'm not in the BBM out camp by any means but if the same errors keep repeating on the pitch, it's his responsibility.
People have mentioned Luke. Once Alby came on and we went a bit more direct (good!) , why was Luke on his own on the RHS to win the ball and do something with it with no-one in front of him when there were 6 players on the left waiting for it? Strange tactic indeed.
Structurally, this club is in a great place given our small fanbase and RAFC deserves supporting for doing its best. If you weren't at the forum, listen to the audio. RAFC is run properly and professionally. I will renew my season ticket / card because of this .
The football, the "raison d'etre" of the club, lags way behind and with some of the players we have, they are better than what is on show. Is the apparently "one-track" manager fit for purpose here? Your move BBM.

Worse stuff i have watched for a very long time.
Henderson must be sick to death of running around for bugger all,my frustrations are bubbling over,i watched us today and at Doncaster,we had 4 shots in two games !!
The players are being brainwashed with crab like turgid shoking tripe that resembles nothing like football.
Im ill with this trash,its spoiling my saturdays .

livinginadalewonderland

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 22:06 - Feb 22 with 2400 viewskiwidale

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 21:26 - Feb 22 by Sandyman

Doing the same thing with the same result and keep doing it expecting a different result is utter folly. BBM will lose his job sooner than later because of it and will have only himself to blame.

This is not the time for bickering.

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 22:13 - Feb 22 with 2365 viewspaulscho

Its like watching a crab moving around with broken legs.
I think they must practice defence vs defence all week in training .

livinginadalewonderland

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 22:15 - Feb 22 with 2362 viewsRAFCBLUE

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 21:46 - Feb 22 by paulscho

Henderson must be sick to death of running around for bugger all,my frustrations are bubbling over,i watched us today and at Doncaster,we had 4 shots in two games !!
The players are being brainwashed with crab like turgid shoking tripe that resembles nothing like football.

Home record so far this season is:

Played 14
Won 4
Drawn 4
Lost 6

Goals for 15.

Not the kind of stats that make people want to come back.

Today’s goal, a long punt to a target man causing a defensive mixup.

If you’d paid in on the day for each home game, that’s £16 a goal!
[Post edited 22 Feb 2020 22:15]

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 22:19 - Feb 22 with 2331 views49thseason

Hard to sell tickets for next season when home results are getting worse. We have now won just 18 home games in 61 attempts since the start of the 2017/18 season scoring 62 goals in that time (and 0 goals on 18 occasions)
In 2017/18 we took 1.3 points per home game (30 points) total 51 pts for the season- (59%)
In 2018/19 we took 1.22 points per game (28 points) total 54 points for the season - (52%)
So far this season we have amassed 16 points from 15 home games (1.06 points per game -( 45%)
With 7 home games remaining, stats show we may get 7 more points and 5 away games might yield 3 or 4 points giving a total of 43/44 for the season - relegation form in any other season. Thankfully, Tranmere with 5 home games and 8 away games to play and 10 points to make up seem unlikely to get 2 points per game for the rest of the season.
The caveat in this, of course, is that we win 2 or 3 of the remaining home games and pick up a win on the road. its entirely possible we may not do so given our current predilection for playing a system that amounts to self-harm we are not yet safe in this division and as in the previous 2 seasons, the lack of goals may ultimately cause our demise.
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 22:55 - Feb 22 with 2212 viewsborodale

First time for a while today. We have good players(thought Lund and Ryan where excellent) but the pedestrian tippy happy from the back just makes it easy for the opposition. Marked up, stationary and no options when the balls gets to full backs or midfield so back it comes and repeat. The second goal was coming for ten minutes before as we just dropped deeper passing across the six yard line. At least vary the play a bit so we're not so predictable. Suicidal football and hard to watch.
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 23:30 - Feb 22 with 2107 viewsEllDale

My season ticket is in the Sandy so I get to see plenty of action.
In the first half of games I usually get to see us overrun by the opposition who usually score at least one goal.
In the second half Dale usually step up a gear chasing the game.
We could have been 3-0 down at halftime this afternoon.
OK their goal was a howler from Sanchez but the marking was non-existent from a short corner in the first place and Coventry nearly caught us napping from another corner not long afterwards.
I noticed that Matheson was marking Godden at corners because we’re so lacking in height at set pieces.
Good job O’Connell made some timely blocks.
It got better when Wilbraham came on but we’ve got to become aggressive in the first 20 minutes.
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 23:30 - Feb 22 with 2107 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 20:58 - Feb 22 by rochdaleriddler

Gets narrower by the week

Perhaps we should play in a corridor...that would stop all the side to side farting about.
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 00:08 - Feb 23 with 2023 viewsDaley_Lama

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”

Albert Einstein. Clever man, died of a heart attack, very sad.

Poll: DF in or out

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 00:20 - Feb 23 with 2006 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 23:30 - Feb 22 by Yorkshire_Dale

Perhaps we should play in a corridor...that would stop all the side to side farting about.

Corridor of uncertainty?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 08:53 - Feb 23 with 1686 viewsAtThePeake

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 21:46 - Feb 22 by paulscho

Just over a year ago, we were beaten 0-4 at home by Bradford. We then lost 5-0 at Doncaster and then 0-4 at home to Burton Albion. All within a week.

It's bad at the moment and yesterday was easily the most frustrated I've been with BBM's tactics - but if this is the worst you've seen in a very long time then I don't think you were going to games last season.

Tangled up in blue.

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 09:02 - Feb 23 with 1654 viewsAtThePeake

A word for Jamie Allen by the way who I thought was the best player on the pitch yesterday. Why Hill persisted with him in such a deep role for so long is baffling looking back.

Tangled up in blue.

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 10:30 - Feb 23 with 1455 viewsNorthernDale

I agree that Jamie Allen was very good and shows what we are missing.

The football this season as been awful due to the poor tactics of passing it back and sideways all the time, even when we have a chance to go forward they stop and turn round, and pass it back. It makes me wonder if BBM is up to it, he seems unable to change his tactics, whereas a good manager will have a plan B and C, and would have learnt from their mistakes, but BBM repeats them every game, with the same dire tactics, even when we are getting beat. Yet we have the same old rubbish from BBM at the end of the game, about the performance, is the man in complete denial?

We are not safe and need some more points to ensure safety and league 1 football for another season, but at the moment you have to say thank god for Southend, Bolton and at present Tranmere and for the fact that only three go down. We need to pick points up against Tranmere, Wimbledon and Bristol Rovers to keep daylight between us and the bottom three.
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 10:51 - Feb 23 with 1378 viewsScunnydale

I wish we'd make a team work for a victory for once. If the better teams win, so be it, but I want to come away feeling impressed by how good the opposition were - not how bad we were.

I love patient football and was so proud of the goals we scored at Southend. However, it's just not working anywhere near often enough to make it a worthwhile first-choice tactic regardless of the opposition.

Arguably, we probably have our best defence ever (certainly on paper): Good GK from a PL club; McShane and O'Connell; a £1m right-back now at a PL club great at getting forward; and a U21 international left-back at a PL club who is also great at getting forward. Our midfield is rife with decent options: Rathbone, Lund, Morley, Camps, Ryan. We also have a club legend up front with an excellent target man.

So why are we struggling so much? It's clear that the tactics aren't working and that teams have figured us out (as Sunderland proved).

It really needs to change.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024