Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry 13:10 - Feb 20 with 23207 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

Match Preview: Dale vs Coventry 20th Feb 2020 13:08
After what feels like an age following last weekend's postponement, Dale return to action with a home fixture against high-flying Coventry on Saturday afternoon. 0

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 16:09 - Feb 23 with 3285 views442Dale

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 15:33 - Feb 23 by James1980

Don't forget next season the pitch should be much improved.

The pitch at Newcastle was, naturally, the best we’ve played on yet we still conjured up that third goal for them. It’s not the playing out from the back that’s an issue or the surfaces on which we do it, it’s the almost relentless nature of it to the point that other teams and the crowd wait for a mistake.
It’s staggering that the most basic changes that would make opponents wonder what to do aren’t made.

Got the impression at the forum that we are trying to create a club-wide identity in the way we play. Not sure why as we are already known for playing good football and have been for a very long time. At the moment our footballing reputation is one where we will create chances for the opposition if they pressure us consistently. A quite remarkable tactic.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 16:18 - Feb 23 with 3241 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 16:09 - Feb 23 by 442Dale

The pitch at Newcastle was, naturally, the best we’ve played on yet we still conjured up that third goal for them. It’s not the playing out from the back that’s an issue or the surfaces on which we do it, it’s the almost relentless nature of it to the point that other teams and the crowd wait for a mistake.
It’s staggering that the most basic changes that would make opponents wonder what to do aren’t made.

Got the impression at the forum that we are trying to create a club-wide identity in the way we play. Not sure why as we are already known for playing good football and have been for a very long time. At the moment our footballing reputation is one where we will create chances for the opposition if they pressure us consistently. A quite remarkable tactic.

That was in response to the 'bog of a pitch' comment. Fingers crossed it won't be bog like next season. You are correct though.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 17:05 - Feb 23 with 3133 views49thseason

The problem is simple, we dont score enough goals, we dont have a decent partner for Henderson, we dont set up to score goals, we dont get players into the opposition box, we dont put enough crosses into the danger zone, we dont pressure opposition defenders, instead we sit back and try to keep posession, lose it, concede and then lose . As surely as night follows day if you dont score goals you cant win games. There might be a case for defensive tactics away from home but in front of your own fans ...l? Its like going to see a singer and finding out he is now a mime artist and you are expected to guess the song. Whats the point?
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 17:15 - Feb 23 with 3109 viewsAtThePeake

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 17:05 - Feb 23 by 49thseason

The problem is simple, we dont score enough goals, we dont have a decent partner for Henderson, we dont set up to score goals, we dont get players into the opposition box, we dont put enough crosses into the danger zone, we dont pressure opposition defenders, instead we sit back and try to keep posession, lose it, concede and then lose . As surely as night follows day if you dont score goals you cant win games. There might be a case for defensive tactics away from home but in front of your own fans ...l? Its like going to see a singer and finding out he is now a mime artist and you are expected to guess the song. Whats the point?

I don't think we have the personnel and that makes it all the more frustrating that we didn't add much to the forward line in the January window. I know we got Smith (who aside from his important goal against Shrewsbury has offered next to nothing so far), and I know we were unlucky in failing to bring a winger on deadline day, but there should have been a contingency plan in place. For those saying that Wilbraham should start - how often does he have the same effect when starting? Aside from the Fleetwood game when he bagged brace he rarely offers anything at all when starting and his best performances (Bolton away, Newcastle and Gillingham at home) have been off the bench. It's absolutely vital that we reinvest Wilbraham and Andrew's wages into two better attacking options in the summer and if Henderson goes, then probably four.

Tangled up in blue.

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 17:53 - Feb 23 with 3007 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

I feel like many on here about the lack of excitement and entertainment. I cannot say that I've ever felt so disillusioned about going to Spotland and having to endure such dross. We are allowed at most 20 minutes of entertainment per game at home, usually because we are chasing games by the 70th minute.

When was the last time we attacked from the kick off at home? Why is the long ball taboo when it brought our only goal yesterday? We looked more dangerous when playing 3 long balls and Coventry looked more vulnerable than at any other time in the game.

We can't risk playing tippy tappy football across the back line on our crap pitch. We can't carry on playing without forwards if we want to avoid relegation. Henderson is past his best and apart from his goals offers little else, which some might say doesn't matter, but the goals and chances are drying up and it was apparent Henderson felt the same after his bad foul and yellow card late on. BBM has to find plan b and c because plan a will only work 10% of the time, against poor opposition on perfect playing surfaces.

Over to you BBM.
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 18:35 - Feb 23 with 2928 viewsRAFCBLUE

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 17:53 - Feb 23 by RooleyMoorBlue

I feel like many on here about the lack of excitement and entertainment. I cannot say that I've ever felt so disillusioned about going to Spotland and having to endure such dross. We are allowed at most 20 minutes of entertainment per game at home, usually because we are chasing games by the 70th minute.

When was the last time we attacked from the kick off at home? Why is the long ball taboo when it brought our only goal yesterday? We looked more dangerous when playing 3 long balls and Coventry looked more vulnerable than at any other time in the game.

We can't risk playing tippy tappy football across the back line on our crap pitch. We can't carry on playing without forwards if we want to avoid relegation. Henderson is past his best and apart from his goals offers little else, which some might say doesn't matter, but the goals and chances are drying up and it was apparent Henderson felt the same after his bad foul and yellow card late on. BBM has to find plan b and c because plan a will only work 10% of the time, against poor opposition on perfect playing surfaces.

Over to you BBM.

http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=league_shots

If the league table is done on shots on target (the best indicator of chances created), we are:

2019/2020 (to date) - 20th (3.35 shots on target per game)
2018/2019 - 14th (4.13 shots on target per game)
2017/2018 - 12th (4.22 shots on target per game)
2016/2017 - 10th (4.48 shots on target per game)
2015/2016 - 13th (4.20 shots on target per game)

That is some deterioration in the current season, particularly when you consider Henderson's predominant goal contribution in each of those seasons.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 20:43 - Feb 23 with 2748 viewstodmordendale

Interesting assessment of the game from BBM. I think he forgot to say that farting around at the back cost us and what a shite tactic it is ? He did say the pitch was terrible though, so he got summat right.
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 21:15 - Feb 23 with 2680 viewsVivaDonaldo

Since 1st January we're 15th in the league form table.
Since 1st January we've lost 4 games, 2 of which were due to late penalties.
Of the 4 games we've lost we've lost against the teams currently placed 2nd, 3rd,4th and 18th.

The reason I'm mentioning since the 1st January is because this feels like the date we got some form of a full squad back.

I can understand the issues with the way we play but I'd honestly rather this than resort to hoofball as our main tactic.

I have another theory too around the implementation of this as a club wide philosophy. By playing this way and teaching that throughout the club we're more likely to produce the kind of technical players that will be purchased by larger clubs.

If we resort to playing in a certain way we risk bypassing these players and opportunities (which are crucial to the financial plan and the future of the club).

Maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 21:24 - Feb 23 with 2655 views442Dale

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 21:15 - Feb 23 by VivaDonaldo

Of the 4 games we've lost we've lost against the teams currently placed 2nd, 3rd,4th and 18th.

The reason I'm mentioning since the 1st January is because this feels like the date we got some form of a full squad back.

I can understand the issues with the way we play but I'd honestly rather this than resort to hoofball as our main tactic.

I have another theory too around the implementation of this as a club wide philosophy. By playing this way and teaching that throughout the club we're more likely to produce the kind of technical players that will be purchased by larger clubs.

If we resort to playing in a certain way we risk bypassing these players and opportunities (which are crucial to the financial plan and the future of the club).

We’ve produced lots of players down the years without the need to teach them to take unnecessary risks. Nobody wants hoof ball, we want to see progressive football if that means a full back playing the ball down the line and winning a throw in, fine. Rather that than passing across his own penalty area with the opposition strikers breathing down our necks. Play that type of football as well, but mix it up. Then those strikers will be unsure what to do.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 21:53 - Feb 23 with 2601 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 21:24 - Feb 23 by 442Dale

We’ve produced lots of players down the years without the need to teach them to take unnecessary risks. Nobody wants hoof ball, we want to see progressive football if that means a full back playing the ball down the line and winning a throw in, fine. Rather that than passing across his own penalty area with the opposition strikers breathing down our necks. Play that type of football as well, but mix it up. Then those strikers will be unsure what to do.

Mix it up. Precisely. That is the key here.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 22:28 - Feb 23 with 2524 viewsShun

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 13:33 - Feb 23 by Yorkshire_Dale

Indeedy........We were hyped up by the wonder goal at Southend ( ..and it was a thing of beauty) but remember that Southend have conceded another 81 (eighty one) goals besides that one.

It really is a good job that there are 3 other shittier teams in the League but we are a close No4 !

We aren’t a close number 4. Wimbledon are below us. We haven’t been in the bottom 4 near enough all season. Don’t be hyperbolic.
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 10:46 - Feb 24 with 2292 viewsParkinsGimp

I'm afraid we seem to be playing in the style of BucketBM , he was boring and pedestrian when he did venture onto the pitch.
I'm with the majority, try and attack and entertain us FFS, stop messing about. Time is running out.
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 11:12 - Feb 24 with 2252 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 20:43 - Feb 23 by todmordendale

Interesting assessment of the game from BBM. I think he forgot to say that farting around at the back cost us and what a shite tactic it is ? He did say the pitch was terrible though, so he got summat right.

"the lads gave everything"........oooh,not so sure Brian lad.

That's BBM's post-match punchline quite often these days.

But when we are passing about left-right,right left, back to the GK.... that does n't look the case to us spectators. When we see someone busting a gut running with the ball and trying to find a team mate that's when we see a bit of intensity and the effort is appreciated.

Let's have a bit of urgency!
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 12:55 - Feb 24 with 2153 viewsboromat

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 21:15 - Feb 23 by VivaDonaldo

This!

I also think having the full squad back near enough all at once brings its own problems and it would be unusual to instantly hit some form. Each of the players will take differing lengths of time to get back to their best and different partnerships on the pitch will also likely take a bit of time.

I'm quite confident going into the rest of the season. Yes we've got some difficult fixtures coming up but beat the teams below us and make it difficult for the teams we play that are above us and we'll be safe.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 13:31 - Feb 24 with 2090 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 22:28 - Feb 23 by Shun

We aren’t a close number 4. Wimbledon are below us. We haven’t been in the bottom 4 near enough all season. Don’t be hyperbolic.

Hair splitting ma friend.....ok, we are 5th worst then.The League table says so.

We have Wimbledon coming calling in a few weeks lets hope we get at them and keep that gap between us. Give them some Fury.

Having said that, what happened last season.
Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 13:41 - Feb 24 with 2053 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 13:31 - Feb 24 by Yorkshire_Dale

Hair splitting ma friend.....ok, we are 5th worst then.The League table says so.

We have Wimbledon coming calling in a few weeks lets hope we get at them and keep that gap between us. Give them some Fury.

Having said that, what happened last season.

We have Tranmere before then, a much more relevant fixture in terms of avoiding the drop

What happened last season?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 13:45 - Feb 24 with 2051 viewsJames1980

I think one problem is the better teams cut out the outlet(s) for a forward pass. This leads to a sideways or backwards pass. Personally I'd would rather we keep the ball than give away possession by passing it forward when there is no one to receive the ball.
Coventry's 2nd started with a forward pass which gave away possession.

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 14:23 - Feb 24 with 1982 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 13:45 - Feb 24 by James1980

I think one problem is the better teams cut out the outlet(s) for a forward pass. This leads to a sideways or backwards pass. Personally I'd would rather we keep the ball than give away possession by passing it forward when there is no one to receive the ball.
Coventry's 2nd started with a forward pass which gave away possession.

Of course it did, but there was a deathly inevitability about it

That's the problem that BBM is paid his salary to resolve, and just about everyone is willing him to do so. One factor is whether the quality of player we can afford can make the right forward passing decision and execute it - that's why i refer to it as an experiment. There is a possibility that we don't although he's trying to improve on that with signings such as McShane and Lund

It was noticeable in the Arsenal v Everton highlights on MOTD2 how both keepers made effective use of an early ball launched upfield, their managers being exponents of passing football but having the nous to allow mixing it up
[Post edited 24 Feb 2020 14:33]

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 15:04 - Feb 24 with 1925 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 14:23 - Feb 24 by D_Alien

Of course it did, but there was a deathly inevitability about it

That's the problem that BBM is paid his salary to resolve, and just about everyone is willing him to do so. One factor is whether the quality of player we can afford can make the right forward passing decision and execute it - that's why i refer to it as an experiment. There is a possibility that we don't although he's trying to improve on that with signings such as McShane and Lund

It was noticeable in the Arsenal v Everton highlights on MOTD2 how both keepers made effective use of an early ball launched upfield, their managers being exponents of passing football but having the nous to allow mixing it up
[Post edited 24 Feb 2020 14:33]

In interviews Brian says the players have bought into the system. So taking him at his word, the players want to play the passing game, but are they able to?

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 16:20 - Feb 24 with 1851 viewsCleedale

Plenty of very valid comments throughout this thread. Received an email to this link recently, (for those that can stomach it)!! with the banter'ish comment of ..."isn't this what they used to say about Rochdale's play; what's happened?"

OK, so Barrow are two divisions lower and seem to remember at least some conjecture that Evatt would be joining Dale.

Personally, think we haven't got the players atm. to carry it off with the standard of League 1 as it sits these days. The catch-22 is that we've set our stall out in attracting players and selling players who want to play football and we'd lose that unless, as many post, we just mix it up. The stuff going on at the back (with us) has been around for a long time...but perhaps with the better players and 'confidence' we didn't really notice it; because it probably came off; back then.

Seems that there's no doubt we have young talent that might one day make the grade but presently there's a gulf. The buying-in of L1 standard pros. is an expensive hobby and one we're at the wrong end with, bidding wise.

Just hope we can get this season out the way and stay in this div., re-group and start afresh next season.

Anyway, here's that link for anyone interested...

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 19:31 - Feb 24 with 1665 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 13:41 - Feb 24 by D_Alien

We have Tranmere before then, a much more relevant fixture in terms of avoiding the drop

What happened last season?

The same people were taking a great deal of pleasure out of poor form and results.

Anyway talking of the Tranmere game, that's a massive week.

Tues 17th March - Dale v Tranmere
Sat 21st March - AFC Wimbledon v Tranmere
Tues 24th March - Dale v AFC Wimbledon

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 22:03 - Feb 24 with 1519 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 16:20 - Feb 24 by Cleedale

Plenty of very valid comments throughout this thread. Received an email to this link recently, (for those that can stomach it)!! with the banter'ish comment of ..."isn't this what they used to say about Rochdale's play; what's happened?"

OK, so Barrow are two divisions lower and seem to remember at least some conjecture that Evatt would be joining Dale.

Personally, think we haven't got the players atm. to carry it off with the standard of League 1 as it sits these days. The catch-22 is that we've set our stall out in attracting players and selling players who want to play football and we'd lose that unless, as many post, we just mix it up. The stuff going on at the back (with us) has been around for a long time...but perhaps with the better players and 'confidence' we didn't really notice it; because it probably came off; back then.

Seems that there's no doubt we have young talent that might one day make the grade but presently there's a gulf. The buying-in of L1 standard pros. is an expensive hobby and one we're at the wrong end with, bidding wise.

Just hope we can get this season out the way and stay in this div., re-group and start afresh next season.

Anyway, here's that link for anyone interested...

The Ian Evatt rumour was peddled by a former manager who recently had an interview on this site and who is probably reading this forum as we speak!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 22:33 - Feb 24 with 1475 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 22:03 - Feb 24 by TVOS1907

The Ian Evatt rumour was peddled by a former manager who recently had an interview on this site and who is probably reading this forum as we speak!

FRMSE?

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 22:21 - Feb 26 with 1148 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Dale vs Coventry on 14:37 - Feb 23 by fitzochris

I’ve now watched the fans’ forum and, as good as the directors were, one thing puzzles me.

This rancour towards our style of play has been prevalent for most of this season. BBM was sat there and yet not one person asked him about it. Not one.

Wasted opportunity.

The BBM forum having been announced, i was thinking something similar but the evening was dedicated to financial and commercial considerations, and a separate session with BBM had been mooted

Good of him to give up a Sunday afternoon, and we'll have the home game against Rotherham to ponder directly before the event

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024