Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Personal dilemma 19:39 - Aug 12 with 11517 viewsEllDale

For weeks I’ve been looking forward to standing in a queue on Saturday clutching my debit card to buy my new season card.
I’m beginning to wonder now though and pessimism is setting in.
Shall I leave if for a couple of weeks until nearer the deadline or not is my personal quandary.
Other clubs are signing players, other clubs have more players in training, other clubs (eg Crewe) are even playing friendlies.
We seem really light on numbers and our only signing (although I fervently hope he is successful) is a 24 year old with no league experience.
He could be the new Scott Hogan; on the other hand he could be the new Jordan Williams/Jack Muldoon/Jon Shaw.
Unfortunately I remember 1973/74 and couldn’t stand six months of that when a raft of senior players left and we put our faith in untried youth.
For the first time in 60 years my faith is wavering.
Personal dilemma on 15:25 - Aug 13 with 2235 viewsjonahwhereru

Good thread. I have a couple of views. Clubs can gamble and recruit early and gamble and recruit late. Personally I would prefer the club to recruit late.
Fact is no one knows when people will be back in stadiums and for how. Or for even if the season will get underway when scheduled. Given the doubts I think it prudent to await developments and invest later into the window.
There will be plenty of players with aspirations of remaining in the championship who end up scrambling for a club. Signing for a club that has a proven record of paying players on time, when there a plenty of clubs that will struggle to do that, is also going to work to our benefit.
Plus there is always the loan market if things take a positive turn and we need to add numbers.
I am not despondent.
UTD
Personal dilemma on 15:34 - Aug 13 with 2198 viewsNigeriamark

Personal dilemma on 13:30 - Aug 13 by ChaffRAFC

https://d3d4football.com/league-one-two-transfers/

Good indication of how other clubs have dealt with the transfer window so far.

Oxford with 2 in and 1 out/released are the only club with an increase in squad size. Burton are the same and every other club has a smaller squad. Of course there is still a month to go so that will change but it seems there is a waiting game going on
Personal dilemma on 16:56 - Aug 13 with 2063 viewsblackdogblue

I have had a similar should we or shouldn’t we conversation over the last week or so. The problem I face is it’s not one £335 main stand ticket it’s 2 & a junior so it’s £755...

Missing the first couple / few games you get a free I follow pass, great we will have 3 of them...

There will be little or no atmosphere and I share the concerns around the team together with the smoking ban & crap catering.

Unfortunately we will not be renewing at the moment. It’s a lot of money to risk & nothing is set in stone as regards to the future. Won’t stop me spending the usual amount of money on the new kit / training tops etc & if things get better and they introduce a half season ticket will reconsider.

I’m not saying we will not go however & will consider pay on the day if the option arises.

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Personal dilemma on 16:58 - Aug 13 with 2054 viewsAtThePeake

Personal dilemma on 15:34 - Aug 13 by Nigeriamark

Oxford with 2 in and 1 out/released are the only club with an increase in squad size. Burton are the same and every other club has a smaller squad. Of course there is still a month to go so that will change but it seems there is a waiting game going on

The list doesn't include returning loanees either, so we've actually lost 12 players from the squad we had for our last game and signed just one.

Remember last season when we had to have benches full of YTS lads at times? Another injury crisis like that this season and we will have a full 18 of YTS lads.

Tangled up in blue.

Personal dilemma on 17:00 - Aug 13 with 2048 views100notout

Personal dilemma on 16:56 - Aug 13 by blackdogblue

I have had a similar should we or shouldn’t we conversation over the last week or so. The problem I face is it’s not one £335 main stand ticket it’s 2 & a junior so it’s £755...

Missing the first couple / few games you get a free I follow pass, great we will have 3 of them...

There will be little or no atmosphere and I share the concerns around the team together with the smoking ban & crap catering.

Unfortunately we will not be renewing at the moment. It’s a lot of money to risk & nothing is set in stone as regards to the future. Won’t stop me spending the usual amount of money on the new kit / training tops etc & if things get better and they introduce a half season ticket will reconsider.

I’m not saying we will not go however & will consider pay on the day if the option arises.

Go in the Sandy

Total cost for the 3 of you much less at £425

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Personal dilemma on 17:17 - Aug 13 with 2013 viewsblackdogblue

Personal dilemma on 17:00 - Aug 13 by 100notout

Go in the Sandy

Whilst I don’t mind standing up & had many great away days, Mrs BDB doesn’t like being behind the goal & prefers a side view & my boy doesn’t sit with us most of the time, he goes down the other end to be with his mates so not an option

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Personal dilemma on 17:24 - Aug 13 with 1998 viewsdawlishdale

Personal dilemma on 17:00 - Aug 13 by 100notout

Go in the Sandy

I'm told that the new pitch is a good few feet higher than the old one, and that views are not as good from the Sandy, or from the front rows of the stands.
Personal dilemma on 17:26 - Aug 13 with 1993 views100notout

Personal dilemma on 17:24 - Aug 13 by dawlishdale

I'm told that the new pitch is a good few feet higher than the old one, and that views are not as good from the Sandy, or from the front rows of the stands.

That doesn't sound promising - the views weren't that great before!

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Login to get fewer ads

Personal dilemma on 17:47 - Aug 13 with 1933 viewsBrierls

Personal dilemma on 10:13 - Aug 13 by DaleyBrent

I genuinely do understand and echo some of the concerns on here. The reality is at this moment we are clear favourites to get relegated. I have full faith in the management team and our crop of players to give it their best shot as they did last season. Whether that will be enough again is a different question.

For me, the dilemma is simple. Do I save my £335 on the basis that we’re not being as backed as we normally are and their seems to be a lack of ambition, therefor I’m not willing to part with my cash. Or do I stick by this football club I‘be supported al my life in their seemingly hour of need? For me personally, and I wouldn’t begrudge anyone who thinks differently, I’ll be in line on Saturday morning ready to buy a season ticket and support the club I love. It might be naive and it could well backfire.

Up the Dale. Win, Lose or Draw. SinginGor no singing. I’m there. Homegrown Youth Kids, Big Time Charlie’s - I’m there! 🔵⚫️

My thoughts exactly*

*apart from it being £200 and I'll be doing it online
Personal dilemma on 17:58 - Aug 13 with 1904 views442Dale

Personal dilemma on 16:58 - Aug 13 by AtThePeake

The list doesn't include returning loanees either, so we've actually lost 12 players from the squad we had for our last game and signed just one.

Remember last season when we had to have benches full of YTS lads at times? Another injury crisis like that this season and we will have a full 18 of YTS lads.

The focus on numbers and the experience we have right now is all important. Needs saying again, the manager has to be interviewed so that we can hear his thoughts on the squad and what his plans are to improve it/use what he has/limitations. That we are this far along and still haven’t is poor, especially when fans are making decisions around purchasing season tickets.

On the numbers thing, Aaron Morley’s interview throws up a point of interest. Asked on the subject of players coming through the academy, he mentions that six or seven are training with the squad at the moment and that it’s good go see that they’re progressing and “getting a good shirt number for next season”.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Personal dilemma on 18:13 - Aug 13 with 1863 viewsAtThePeake

For what it's worth on the ST front, I've not been a season ticket holder myself for quite some time but probably would have considered it this season in normal circumstances as I don't have to work on Saturdays as often anymore.

However, I just cannot justify the price in terms of the product on offer. We seem to be accepting relegation with our business so far this summer and not only that but the thought of being sat miles apart, being encouraged not to make noise, the whole experience of going to the game as set out by the guidelines doesn't appeal to me at all.

I understand, appreciate and in some ways admire that people will pay anyway as they feel that the club needs our support regardless of those concerns at the moment, but that line we used to use about being 'supporters not customers'? I personally don't feel like that anymore. I feel like the club treat us as customers rather than supporters and so I've decided to look at the situation in the same way - as a customer rather than a supporter. As a result, I don't feel like the money being asked of us is going to be worth it to watch a club that looks like they're happy to let their team get relegated without much of a fight in the strange atmosphere of a socially distanced stadium.

Tangled up in blue.

Personal dilemma on 18:24 - Aug 13 with 1831 viewsJames1980

We really need a rallying call from someone.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Personal dilemma on 18:26 - Aug 13 with 1824 viewsisitme

Maybe a couple of new signing will be announced tomorrow in an attempt to boost sales?
Personal dilemma on 18:27 - Aug 13 with 1812 viewsD_Alien

Here's another factor to add to the mix when considering whether to buy a SC:

For the majority of games in normal circumstances, if you find yourself sitting alongside people who - for whatever reason - make watching the game a bit of a trial*, there's the option to go and sit/stand somewhere else

Once you've got your SC, it'll be almost impossible to do that. You'll be allocated a specific seat and that'll be it for the season. I suppose this is what happens for fans of clubs whose grounds are usually full, e.g. United/City, except that you'll probably be sat with mates having bought your STs together for that purpose, which would offset any annoyances. Instead, you'll be stuck with them, in isolation

* i'm sure we've all been there...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Personal dilemma on 18:37 - Aug 13 with 1778 viewsShun

Personal dilemma on 17:24 - Aug 13 by dawlishdale

I’d like some clarification on this! The view from the Sandy Lane was already pretty poor. If it gets any worse it’s a deal-breaker for me going in there.
Personal dilemma on 19:03 - Aug 13 with 1722 viewsJames1980

Personal dilemma on 18:37 - Aug 13 by Shun

I’d like some clarification on this! The view from the Sandy Lane was already pretty poor. If it gets any worse it’s a deal-breaker for me going in there.

We know this board gets read by people in the club. Someone could allay these fears by taking pictures from all stands to show the view.

Personal dilemma on 19:28 - Aug 13 with 1642 views442Dale

There’s a picture accompanying the story on the OS. Looking at the advertising boards, it may be slightly higher or that could be the photo playing tricks and creating a false perspective. Either way, certainly doesn’t look a few feet higher than previously.

Personal dilemma on 19:32 - Aug 13 with 1624 viewsJames1980

Personal dilemma on 19:28 - Aug 13 by 442Dale

There’s a picture accompanying the story on the OS. Looking at the advertising boards, it may be slightly higher or that could be the photo playing tricks and creating a false perspective. Either way, certainly doesn’t look a few feet higher than previously.

Be good to see the view from all stands but I think you are right it doesn't look a few feet higher.

Personal dilemma on 19:33 - Aug 13 with 1619 viewstony_roch975

Personal dilemma on 18:13 - Aug 13 by AtThePeake

For what it's worth on the ST front, I've not been a season ticket holder myself for quite some time but probably would have considered it this season in normal circumstances as I don't have to work on Saturdays as often anymore.

However, I just cannot justify the price in terms of the product on offer. We seem to be accepting relegation with our business so far this summer and not only that but the thought of being sat miles apart, being encouraged not to make noise, the whole experience of going to the game as set out by the guidelines doesn't appeal to me at all.

I understand, appreciate and in some ways admire that people will pay anyway as they feel that the club needs our support regardless of those concerns at the moment, but that line we used to use about being 'supporters not customers'? I personally don't feel like that anymore. I feel like the club treat us as customers rather than supporters and so I've decided to look at the situation in the same way - as a customer rather than a supporter. As a result, I don't feel like the money being asked of us is going to be worth it to watch a club that looks like they're happy to let their team get relegated without much of a fight in the strange atmosphere of a socially distanced stadium.

totally and utterly disagree - if you call yourself a Dale supporter the only reason you would not buy a ticket to keep your club going is because you don't have the money. None of the problems you cite are down to the club, they're the result of government decisions - take it up with Boris. If you see yourself as a customer rather than a supporter this is the wrong forum for you to post on. Life's tough enough for so many at the moment, negative miseries like this aren't needed to add to that. The only ones giving up the fight are so-called fans with your attitude. I'm going to believe the small squad will suffice, the youngsters will thrive, the financial prudence of our club will be rewarded and we will survive.
Up the Dale

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Personal dilemma on 20:02 - Aug 13 with 1556 viewsShun

Personal dilemma on 19:28 - Aug 13 by 442Dale

Just had it confirmed by a club employee that the pitch has indeed been raised a few feet.
Personal dilemma on 20:02 - Aug 13 with 1555 viewsJames1980

Come on people let's not get at each other over the decision to renew or not.

I am interested as to who BBM will chose as Captain and a little concerned as to why he hasn't yet is he expecting bids to come in for his first choices.

Personal dilemma on 20:11 - Aug 13 with 1535 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Personal dilemma on 19:33 - Aug 13 by tony_roch975

totally and utterly disagree - if you call yourself a Dale supporter the only reason you would not buy a ticket to keep your club going is because you don't have the money. None of the problems you cite are down to the club, they're the result of government decisions - take it up with Boris. If you see yourself as a customer rather than a supporter this is the wrong forum for you to post on. Life's tough enough for so many at the moment, negative miseries like this aren't needed to add to that. The only ones giving up the fight are so-called fans with your attitude. I'm going to believe the small squad will suffice, the youngsters will thrive, the financial prudence of our club will be rewarded and we will survive.
Up the Dale

I won’t be spending a penny this season, because we are being fed lies and some lap it up. The board are not telling us the truth, just bits when it suits.

Blaming Boris again sums it up. Suppose we could blame China but that would be wrong eh.

Until the board explain where they have spunked all the cash, or why it’s all gone, they can frankly sod off.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Personal dilemma on 20:20 - Aug 13 with 1473 views442Dale

We all have a responsibility to accept others may feel differently to ourselves in the current situation and have empathy with alternative points of view. Emotive language used about fellow fans, no matter how they classify themselves, creates division at a time when so many people are going through tough times.
Disagreeing with an opinion is one thing, forums thrive on it, but let’s all have a think how someone else might feel before posting something that clearly isn’t going to help.

I don’t know AtThePeake at all, and while I might not agree with everything he posted, it is something that you can appreciate in terms of how he’s feeling. Also his work on this site and on the podcast illustrates that his support for the club, no matter what his opinions are, can’t be disputed.

Please can we refrain from going down the route of quantifying what makes “a good supporter”.

Personal dilemma on 20:23 - Aug 13 with 1452 viewsSuddenLad

Personal dilemma on 20:02 - Aug 13 by James1980

Come on people let's not get at each other over the decision to renew or not.

I am interested as to who BBM will chose as Captain and a little concerned as to why he hasn't yet is he expecting bids to come in for his first choices.

Surely Bonesy for the armband? McShane as an alternative.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Personal dilemma on 20:25 - Aug 13 with 1435 viewsJames1980

Personal dilemma on 20:23 - Aug 13 by SuddenLad

Surely Bonesy for the armband? McShane as an alternative.

I agree but Bonesy is probably one of our most sort after players'. So does that mean BBM might not give him captaincy incase the board say sorry we've had an offer and we think we should accept it.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 20:30]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024