Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Baseball 21:23 - May 31 with 4082 viewsSaintNick

Im quite fond of baseball, I prefer it to cricket these days

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Baseball on 21:36 - May 31 with 3302 viewskernow

Reminded of that movie starring Robert de Niro playing Al Capone😟
Baseball on 21:42 - May 31 with 3284 viewsPaleRider

I lived in the States for a while and I always thought baseball was an excuse for nerdy people who like statistics to pretend they like sports
Baseball on 21:51 - May 31 with 3269 viewsPatfromPoole

Isn’t baseball just a poor man’s rounders?

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Baseball on 23:09 - May 31 with 3208 viewsSFC_Referee

Baseball on 21:51 - May 31 by PatfromPoole

Why’s it a poor man’s rounders?

Poll: Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

Baseball on 23:31 - May 31 with 3204 viewscotswoldsaint

Was a massive follower of Hampshire CC in the 70's/80's, dream team openers of Barry Richards and Gordon Greenidge, Jesty the super all rounder and the demon Andy Roberts leading the bowling. Was there ever a better Hants county side??
Baseball on 08:16 - Jun 1 with 3104 viewssaintwizzler

Effing Teenage Troll

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Baseball on 09:22 - Jun 1 with 3078 viewsIfonly

In the 18th century they were the same game. Both names were used. Probably invented in the south of England, like most sports. We should be demanding compensation for "cultural appropriation" as seems to be the fashion these days.
Baseball on 09:31 - Jun 1 with 3071 viewssaints__fan__73

Are you going to either of the games at the London stadium this month Nick?

Baseball has had somewhat of a revolution this season in that they have instigated a pitch clock where both the pitcher and the batter have to be ready to play by. This has reduced game time by between 20 and 40 mins per game.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Login to get fewer ads

Baseball on 10:37 - Jun 1 with 3035 viewsSFC_Referee

Baseball on 09:31 - Jun 1 by saints__fan__73

Baseball has had somewhat of a revolution this season in that they have instigated a pitch clock where both the pitcher and the batter have to be ready to play by. This has reduced game time by between 20 and 40 mins per game.

Oh so I presume baseball was the street name given to it whilst rounders was what any posh fellas from back then called it.
Fair enough then, didn’t know that before

Poll: Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

Baseball on 10:40 - Jun 1 with 3035 viewsHorndeansaint

Baseball on 21:42 - May 31 by PaleRider

I lived in the States for a while and I always thought baseball was an excuse for nerdy people who like statistics to pretend they like sports

We visited Boston recently and took in the season opener at Fenway Park which, apart from it still being savagely cold, was an amazing experience. Great atmosphere and the "I am walking up to a sports event" walk is just the same as in this country, you know what I mean, the faster walk than in every day life. One thing which struck us, not only at the baseball and NBA game we went to as well, was the lack of bad language. Not something which bothers me either way but the worst we heard was "Frazier, you suck!" aimed at one of the Orioles players. We invested in a Louisville Slugger and a dozen balls recently and I have great fun with my 2 sons having a bash whenever we all meet up.
Baseball on 10:56 - Jun 1 with 3017 views1teeminants

Baseball on 23:31 - May 31 by cotswoldsaint

Was a massive follower of Hampshire CC in the 70's/80's, dream team openers of Barry Richards and Gordon Greenidge, Jesty the super all rounder and the demon Andy Roberts leading the bowling. Was there ever a better Hants county side??

Barry Richards was the best batsman that ever lived in my opinion. Superb timing and such grace. He was a genius but sadly he wasn’t allowed to grace the international stage .

I saw Hampshire lift the trophy in 1973. They should have won it last year too. Love watching cricket and I played the game for 35 years .

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Baseball on 12:10 - Jun 1 with 2976 viewsSaintNick

Baseball on 09:31 - Jun 1 by saints__fan__73

I doubt im going I looked at the price and at £90 the cheapest ticket thought id give it a miss, I saw the clock in a game I watched on tv last night it did speed things up

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Baseball on 12:40 - Jun 1 with 2950 viewsNYC_Saint

Baseball on 10:40 - Jun 1 by Horndeansaint

We visited Boston recently and took in the season opener at Fenway Park which, apart from it still being savagely cold, was an amazing experience. Great atmosphere and the "I am walking up to a sports event" walk is just the same as in this country, you know what I mean, the faster walk than in every day life. One thing which struck us, not only at the baseball and NBA game we went to as well, was the lack of bad language. Not something which bothers me either way but the worst we heard was "Frazier, you suck!" aimed at one of the Orioles players. We invested in a Louisville Slugger and a dozen balls recently and I have great fun with my 2 sons having a bash whenever we all meet up.

I was at Fenway 3 weeks ago. It's a great experience. I went with a local and we bought standing room only tickets on the green monster very cheaply. If you tip the hot dog guy well, he'll point you to the seats he knows aren't occupied that night. Worst case you get a great view and no seat inexpensively...

One thing I will say though is as much as I enjoy going to the games, there are 162 regular season games and as such it's tough to get overly excited until August/September time for me.
Baseball on 14:19 - Jun 1 with 2911 viewsdirk_doone

Baseball on 12:10 - Jun 1 by SaintNick

I doubt im going I looked at the price and at £90 the cheapest ticket thought id give it a miss, I saw the clock in a game I watched on tv last night it did speed things up

I got a ticket cheaper than that but it is high up over third base. As you know, ticket prices for games in the States are much lower. I guess they have to factor in travel expenses and the cost of hiring the stadium here. They are struggling to sell out though whereas the tickets for the Yankees v Red Sox games were sold very quickly.

Neither the Cubs nor the Cardinals are exactly setting the world on fire this year. They are currently the bottom 2 in the NL Central. But, it is still probably the 2nd greatest traditional rivalry after the Yankees and Red Sox. Cardinals fans hate the Cubs.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2023 14:27]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Baseball on 14:57 - Jun 1 with 2871 viewsBazza

Baseball on 14:19 - Jun 1 by dirk_doone

I got a ticket cheaper than that but it is high up over third base. As you know, ticket prices for games in the States are much lower. I guess they have to factor in travel expenses and the cost of hiring the stadium here. They are struggling to sell out though whereas the tickets for the Yankees v Red Sox games were sold very quickly.

Neither the Cubs nor the Cardinals are exactly setting the world on fire this year. They are currently the bottom 2 in the NL Central. But, it is still probably the 2nd greatest traditional rivalry after the Yankees and Red Sox. Cardinals fans hate the Cubs.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2023 14:27]

Great game, recommend anyone visiting the States to go to a game. Very skilful and fast. Easy to get food and drinks even during a game. Happy to take the family, friendly atmosphere. Any occasional fisticuffs are by the players on the pitch. 160 odd games for every team each season!
Baseball on 14:58 - Jun 1 with 2871 viewsdirk_doone

Baseball on 12:40 - Jun 1 by NYC_Saint

I was at Fenway 3 weeks ago. It's a great experience. I went with a local and we bought standing room only tickets on the green monster very cheaply. If you tip the hot dog guy well, he'll point you to the seats he knows aren't occupied that night. Worst case you get a great view and no seat inexpensively...

One thing I will say though is as much as I enjoy going to the games, there are 162 regular season games and as such it's tough to get overly excited until August/September time for me.

Bizarrely, you can often buy cheap tickets from the cops on duty outside the ballparks.

Baseball on 16:03 - Jun 1 with 2832 viewssaints__fan__73

Baseball on 12:10 - Jun 1 by SaintNick

Aren't the Cubs your team Nick?

You must have wasted thousands on watching Saints the past years for pretty much zero entertainment on the pitch, watching the Cubs will be far more fun I'm sure.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Baseball on 17:02 - Jun 1 with 2820 viewssaint901

We visit the USA twice a year (family) and take in the occasional baseball game on TV.

Can't say it grabs me.

The balance between pitcher and batter is too one sided in favour of the pitcher. Pretty much any decent contact of bat and ball that is not a home run is an "out" (caught). It seems that bad contacts more often result in base runs. That seems too random for me. Surely good play is rewarded, not bad?

As for the stats, complete gibberish and make sense only when you realise that the teams are playing 4 or 5 times a week so statistically their numbers are a close approximation to their form and ability. (Unlike football where "completed passes" means little).

I do get very irritated by US TV trying to extract statistics for the increasing amount of European football (soccer) they show. They all struggle and for that reason I suspect football has a long way to go to gain popularity.
Baseball on 18:27 - Jun 1 with 2799 viewsHorndeansaint

You’re dead right with the statistics. Guy sat next to me who had an awesome Boston accent has been a season ticket holder for 51 years and goes to every game. He had a huge lined pad with him and put down statistics throughout the whole game. He said he is retired and that is his pleasure so good on him.
Baseball on 18:43 - Jun 1 with 2781 viewsSalisburySaint

When I was in NYC last year I went with family to watch Yankees play

Found it really enjoyable, with time of game similar to T20 cricket

One thing that pissed me off was the non stop flow of spectators up and down the aisles, the Yanks seem to eat non stop during the game, but liked the fact they had drink holders on the back of seats in row in front of you to hold Beer or cold drinks, should have these at Cricket grounds in England
Baseball on 19:20 - Jun 1 with 2763 viewsdarthvader

Wierd. I was watching the Philly's match earlier today ,on a sneaky afternoon off , for about 20 mins when channel hopping ,ended up scared out of my wits when i watched The conjuring2---Jesus mary and joseph

keep the faith coyr

Baseball on 20:27 - Jun 1 with 2733 viewsdirk_doone

Rockies v Diamondbacks is starting soon on BT Sport 1. They have a swimming pool in the outfield you can book to watch the game from on hot days and it's usually hot in Arizona.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2023 20:28]

Baseball on 22:02 - Jun 1 with 2688 viewsBison

The Yanks are starting a Cricket League similar to IPL this summer. It could affect our T20 , Big Bash leagues as they offering £250,000 to players rather than the £100,000 that the English summer leagues typically offer to players.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Baseball on 07:00 - Jun 2 with 2630 viewsSalisburySaint

When I was in NYC last year I went with family to watch Yankees play

Found it really enjoyable, with time of game similar to T20 cricket

One thing that pissed me off was the non stop flow of spectators up and down the aisles, the Yanks seem to eat non stop during the game, but liked the fact they had drink holders on the back of seats in row in front of you to hold Beer or cold drinks, should have these at Cricket grounds in England
Baseball on 08:42 - Jun 2 with 2588 viewsSonicBoom

I went to see the Seatle Mariners and didn't know what to expect but I thought it was a great night out.
It's fairly long but seems to move at a pace. There's plenty of animations going on between innings to keep people amused - and even to the point that the crew that comes on to sweep the diamond were all doing some weird choreographed dance whilst sweeping. Each player had their own walk on music as they come to the plate which the crowd seemed to get into. Plus it started in daylight and finished in the dark. The stadium is in the shadow of downtown Seattle and as one side of the stadium is open it really was a spectacular setting with the skycrapers all lit up.
I've also been to basketball in Miami and Chicago, both were great experiences. So different from our sporting culture though. Very family friendly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024