Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do you remember the days 12:28 - Dec 18 with 14352 viewsswancity

When there were just 3000 fans dotted around the Vetch Field?

When Prosser used to wheel up and down the track along the South Stand making funny faces

When away trips to places like Rochdale, Hartlepool, Cambridge and Chesterfield were to be cherished

When you were ankle deep in piss in the North Bank toilets

When you knew at the games you were surrounded by genuine fans of the football club and not people with a passing interest who have jumped onto a bandwagon

Where you could smoke a cigarette if you wanted one

When the pasties were lovely and the tea like hot water

When you could pay cash at a turnstile to go in.

When Robbie James would stride purposefully from the halfway line before unleashing a thunderbolt

When the players were not vastly over paid. Really can any footballer be worth a salary of a cool £1m a month? Or even £1m a year.

Our story has indeed been an incredible one....but there was also something special about supporting our Swans through the bad times as well. The FA cup draw at Oxford brought back some good memories of standing on the terrace behind the goal at Oxford when I think we beat them on pens?

Good old days....

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Do you remember the days on 10:24 - Jan 24 with 2198 viewsE20Jack

Do you remember the days on 10:07 - Jan 24 by STID2017

BTW in case you think I'm a plastic too because I don't buy all the romanticism about the Vetch, I renewed in December

Nothing to "buy", these are peoples accounts and honest feelings. It is just the way it is.

You may not feel the same way maybe you mean? In which case that is such a shame for you, genuinely.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2018 11:15]

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Do you remember the days on 10:28 - Jan 24 with 2199 viewsWarwickHunt

Got talking to the umpire of one of our cricket matches a couple of years ago who said he was also a football league ref back in the day.

Ever ref at the Vetch, I asked?

"God, yes. Terrifying..."
Do you remember the days on 10:32 - Jan 24 with 2184 viewsperchrockjack

And they were days of high unemployment and 18 per cent interest rates with industries vanishing without trace .
Best gone .

and forgotten

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Do you remember the days on 11:00 - Jan 24 with 2165 viewsMoscowJack

Do you remember the days on 10:32 - Jan 24 by perchrockjack

And they were days of high unemployment and 18 per cent interest rates with industries vanishing without trace .
Best gone .

and forgotten

Perchie, I think that adds to the Vetch's attraction, in those days. It was a good escape and a place where people could forget about troubles at home and worry about all the troubles on the pitch!

Sometimes it was good to see the team struggling more than you were!

Nobody's saying that they were great times with no problems in the world, but that we have incredible memories that shaped us as fans today. In 20 years, the fans of today will look back at these times with incredible memories too, regardless of the team's results, employment levels, family problems, etc.

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

Do you remember the days on 11:18 - Jan 24 with 2147 viewsE20Jack

Best gone .

and forgotten

That was the Vetch Field's fault?

I am struggling to see your point there.

Do you remember the days on 11:38 - Jan 24 with 2131 views1983

Pasties freezing cold on the inside and would burn your lips on the outside.

When the North bank was fully open everyone up the back p1ssing against the corrugated sheeting and p1ss dripping down underneath on everyone.

Just about everyone getting in for under 16yrs old right up until about 21-22yrs old.

All policemen had moustaches!

Do you remember the days on 12:20 - Jan 24 with 2093 viewsperchrockjack

Diminish.
I'm struggling as to how you could conflate that

Do you remember the days on 12:22 - Jan 24 with 2092 viewsE20Jack

Do you remember the days on 12:20 - Jan 24 by perchrockjack

Diminish.
I'm struggling as to how you could conflate that

You said everyone should forget their great memories of the Vetch Field as during that time unemployment was fairly high.

That was your point yes?

Login to get fewer ads

Do you remember the days on 13:41 - Jan 24 with 2028 viewsBillyChong

I went to a FAW cup game in what must have been the late 90’s/very early 2000’s at the vetch against Barry Town. I think only the east stand was open and I’m sure we lost, I remember Gary Lloyd scored for Barry. I’d like to see what the attendance was for that one.
Do you remember the days on 15:09 - Jan 24 with 1997 viewsSTID2017

Do you remember the days on 10:24 - Jan 24 by E20Jack

Nothing to "buy", these are peoples accounts and honest feelings. It is just the way it is.

You may not feel the same way maybe you mean? In which case that is such a shame for you, genuinely.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2018 11:15]

I enjoyed many great moments following the Swans at the Vetch.
However times have moved on and I wouldn't want to be back there watching the Swans.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Do you remember the days on 15:22 - Jan 24 with 1987 viewsLegend83

I was a wee 7 year old when my Dad started taking me to the Vetch and this would have been early Burrows days as I can just about remember watching Jimmy Gilligan and recall the solid pairing of Mark Harris and Keith Walker (he seemed to be around for ever!).

Fond memories:

- the banging on the North Bank as the teams came out was always bloody exciting for a young lad.

- some bloke with a very posh English accent randomly shouting "Up the Whites!" in the NB always made me giggle.

- Watching Jon Ford score against Middlesborough in the FA Cup (we went and beat them at their place in the replay).

- Jan Molby scoring a last minute penalty winner against....can't remember, but it was near the end of his tenure when we were struggling. You just knew he was going to score.

- The sound of a header coming off Matthew Bound's bonce.

- "For f*cks sake, Roger!!".

Great times, not least for me personally as my parent's were going through divorce so it was nice bonding time with the old man.
Do you remember the days on 15:51 - Jan 24 with 1963 viewsE20Jack

Do you remember the days on 15:09 - Jan 24 by STID2017

I enjoyed many great moments following the Swans at the Vetch.
However times have moved on and I wouldn't want to be back there watching the Swans.

If it would give all the same feelings back that were around then, the buzz, the passion, the intensity - then I would give it all back in a heart beat. Although I am acutely aware that it will never be the same, football has moved on as a whole - so agree on that front.

That is not to say those days were not so much better from a fan perspective than now though, because they were - no question about it. But the discussion is about how things were not what they can be like if we are to go back down to that level.

Having nice toilets, a swanky club shop, burger vans, seats et al has done nothing for my football experience other than sterilise it and water it down. If I started going to the Liberty now, I think I would quickly lose interest, the only reason I am a fan today is due to the electric and addictive belonging achieved at the Vetch Field. The Liberty is a shell in comparison. Truly.

Do you remember the days on 16:09 - Jan 24 with 1955 viewsJack59

Best gone .

and forgotten

Yes - but nobody starved, and you couldn't find beggars anywhere, there were one or two tramps that we used to see and help out occasionally, but that was it.
Now we've got almost full employment, currently around just 4% unemployed, and yet we've now got beggars all over the place.
People of a different time, and of a different quality to today.
Everyone contributed in their own way.
Do you remember the days on 18:35 - Jan 24 with 1914 viewsSTID2017

Do you remember the days on 15:51 - Jan 24 by E20Jack

If it would give all the same feelings back that were around then, the buzz, the passion, the intensity - then I would give it all back in a heart beat. Although I am acutely aware that it will never be the same, football has moved on as a whole - so agree on that front.

That is not to say those days were not so much better from a fan perspective than now though, because they were - no question about it. But the discussion is about how things were not what they can be like if we are to go back down to that level.

Having nice toilets, a swanky club shop, burger vans, seats et al has done nothing for my football experience other than sterilise it and water it down. If I started going to the Liberty now, I think I would quickly lose interest, the only reason I am a fan today is due to the electric and addictive belonging achieved at the Vetch Field. The Liberty is a shell in comparison. Truly.

I agree there was something about attending the Vetch, even when it was in the mid-70's and only 2,000 of us there.
Can't explain it really, but it isn't something you can replicate today.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Do you remember the days on 18:43 - Jan 24 with 1910 viewsbuilthjack

That tv gantry on the north bank. Thinking about it, it was bloody dangerous. The metal ladder with the ring around it, and having to pull down a wooden one to get you started. Then they must have froze their bllocks off in winter up there. Brrrrrrrrrrr.t

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Do you remember the days on 19:02 - Jan 24 with 1892 viewsplasjack

Being a STH in the East stand, when the rain was lashing down, I have more love for the Liberty.
Do you remember the days on 19:11 - Jan 24 with 1887 viewslonglostjack

Do you remember the days on 18:35 - Jan 24 by STID2017

I agree there was something about attending the Vetch, even when it was in the mid-70's and only 2,000 of us there.
Can't explain it really, but it isn't something you can replicate today.

My years were 74- 79. Sporadically between 80 - 83. Then off to Pikey Paul's dream zone. No internet no Ryanair. No recollection of my last game at the Vetch :-(

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Do you remember the days on 19:13 - Jan 24 with 1881 viewsLoyal

Do you remember the days on 19:11 - Jan 24 by longlostjack

My years were 74- 79. Sporadically between 80 - 83. Then off to Pikey Paul's dream zone. No internet no Ryanair. No recollection of my last game at the Vetch :-(

No paedophiles then either ......
It's a mad world..

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Do you remember the days on 19:34 - Jan 24 with 1854 viewsicecoldjack

I miss the vetch but i don't miss the vetch !
Do you remember the days on 19:36 - Jan 24 with 1849 viewsBillyChong

What happened to the original Swans drummer? He used to stand at the back of the North Bank towards the away end probably late 90’s/early 2000’s.

Remember seeing Freestone score a pen at the vetch. Fans throwing ripped up newspaper as the teams ran on. Someone setting fireworks off one half time behind the North Bank. The Mongolian bbq mascot. Random memories.
Do you remember the days on 19:44 - Jan 24 with 1838 viewsexiledclaseboy

Do you remember the days on 19:34 - Jan 24 by icecoldjack

I miss the vetch but i don't miss the vetch !

I think that sums it up perfectly.

Poll: Tory leader

Do you remember the days on 21:01 - Jan 24 with 1788 viewsperchrockjack

Wrong again Dimi..

Do you remember the days on 21:08 - Jan 24 with 1774 viewslifelong

I can remember the North Bank when it didn’t have a roof.
Do you remember the days on 21:16 - Jan 24 with 1758 viewssherpajacob

I remember in the 80s people harking back to the dark days of the 70s when attendances were circa 2,000.

Every swans related letter to the evening post was signed by supporters calling themselves one of the 2,000.

I think about 15,000 people claimed to be one of the 2,000.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Do you remember the days on 21:20 - Jan 24 with 1752 viewsE20Jack

Perch getting all brave with his old useame back. What a cretin.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024