Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Still no Jeff...? 21:02 - Jan 24 with 5025 viewsmidswan

not many minutes these days, seems Barrow is preferred as fresh legs when needed.
Still no Jeff...? on 21:11 - Jan 24 with 4152 viewskarnataka

On his day, Jeff will give you a 9 otherwise it's a 3. Unfortunately, it's been a 9 about once every 5 games recently. At the moment Barrow always seems to give a good 6 or 7 and occasionally an 8 especially coming on as a sub so deservedly ahead of Jeff atm for me.
Still no Jeff...? on 21:13 - Jan 24 with 4137 views3swan

Still no Jeff...? on 21:11 - Jan 24 by karnataka

On his day, Jeff will give you a 9 otherwise it's a 3. Unfortunately, it's been a 9 about once every 5 games recently. At the moment Barrow always seems to give a good 6 or 7 and occasionally an 8 especially coming on as a sub so deservedly ahead of Jeff atm for me.

I agree but not sure if it's as good as once every 5 games.

Head goes down to easily when things go wrong.
Still no Jeff...? on 21:14 - Jan 24 with 4121 viewsblaine_scfc

Personally thought the game was crying out for him today in the second half. Quality player, I'm hoping we are not looking to get rid.
Still no Jeff...? on 21:17 - Jan 24 with 4095 viewsFlashberryjack

Strange one this......from chocolate to sh*te in a matter of weeks.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Still no Jeff...? on 21:34 - Jan 24 with 4000 viewsmidswan

Still no Jeff...? on 21:17 - Jan 24 by Flashberryjack

Strange one this......from chocolate to sh*te in a matter of weeks.

this is pretty much what i wasalluding to
Still no Jeff...? on 21:55 - Jan 24 with 3885 viewsjack247

If we are going to move back towards a pass and move style, it's difficult to fit him in. He is more suited to running at players and causing havoc that way. If you want someone to skin a full back and get a cross in, he is the best we have. He isn't great at anticipating, playing an easy pass and moving into intelligent space or dragging defenders out of position. In a triangle style team, assuming we are trying to head back in that direction, you have to be almost as good off the ball as on it.

Having said that, I would have brought him on halfway through the second half when they were pinning us back. His pace would have given them a lot to think about.
Still no Jeff...? on 22:34 - Jan 24 with 3731 viewsgrabsplatter

He's badly out of form & provides no defensive cover for his full back - I thought we needed fresh legs before Eder came on but would rather have seen Barrow & not Jeff
Still no Jeff...? on 22:40 - Jan 24 with 3708 viewsmax936

Still no Jeff...? on 22:34 - Jan 24 by grabsplatter

He's badly out of form & provides no defensive cover for his full back - I thought we needed fresh legs before Eder came on but would rather have seen Barrow & not Jeff

I thought we needed an outlet and I thought Barrow would have been the choice given his pace, but Eder came on and did hold the up once or twice, but we didn't get the ball to him enough, the last 15mins was painful, I had the sweats watching

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Login to get fewer ads

Still no Jeff...? on 09:46 - Jan 25 with 3429 viewsPegojack

I'm really hoping the Don has the experience to improve Jeff's game.

There's no doubt the lad has immense raw talent, but he has some big deficiencies too and is very one dimensional. If we can work on his weaknesses and build on his strengths, he could yet play a big part in our survival.
Still no Jeff...? on 10:01 - Jan 25 with 3376 viewsJackSomething

I wouldn't have believed I'd be suggesting this back at the start of the season, but would be quite happy to move Montero on (with the conditions we get good money for him, around £10m, and sign a replacement in the same window) and put our faith in Barrow. He's shown signs of developing into a good player and I think his skills suit our system better while still providing that pacy outlet.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Still no Jeff...? on 10:12 - Jan 25 with 3332 viewstomdickharry

Doubt if his contract will be renewed when it expires.
Still no Jeff...? on 11:58 - Jan 25 with 3200 viewsjack247

Still no Jeff...? on 10:01 - Jan 25 by JackSomething

I wouldn't have believed I'd be suggesting this back at the start of the season, but would be quite happy to move Montero on (with the conditions we get good money for him, around £10m, and sign a replacement in the same window) and put our faith in Barrow. He's shown signs of developing into a good player and I think his skills suit our system better while still providing that pacy outlet.

I'd agree with that. He doesn't quite have the raw pace and talent Montero does, but looks a more rounded and intelligent player.

Jeff could still be a huge player for us if we could mould him into more of a team player though.
Still no Jeff...? on 12:04 - Jan 25 with 3179 viewsjasper_T

Still no Jeff...? on 11:58 - Jan 25 by jack247

I'd agree with that. He doesn't quite have the raw pace and talent Montero does, but looks a more rounded and intelligent player.

Jeff could still be a huge player for us if we could mould him into more of a team player though.

Barrow is faster than Montero.

Without the ball, anyway. They test these things in training and he always wins.
Still no Jeff...? on 12:08 - Jan 25 with 3164 viewsDafyddHuw

One of the reasons Taylor is doing so well this season is because there's no Montero to block the left-wing runs.
The number of times you see Taylor with the ball, waving wildly to Montero to run on, but the dull bugger just stands there waiting for a pass. By which time there's two defenders looking out for him. Not suited to our style of play at all.
Still no Jeff...? on 12:32 - Jan 25 with 3084 viewsjack247

Still no Jeff...? on 12:04 - Jan 25 by jasper_T

Barrow is faster than Montero.

Without the ball, anyway. They test these things in training and he always wins.

I don't doubt that. You can't skin a fullback without the ball though. His close control at speed, as well as his ability to stop dead and accelerate from a standing start is superb. But as others have said, he is a long way behind Barrow in other aspects though.
Still no Jeff...? on 13:25 - Jan 25 with 2994 viewskarnataka

Still no Jeff...? on 12:32 - Jan 25 by jack247

I don't doubt that. You can't skin a fullback without the ball though. His close control at speed, as well as his ability to stop dead and accelerate from a standing start is superb. But as others have said, he is a long way behind Barrow in other aspects though.

It's not unusual for Montero to try to skin a fullback without the ball, he regularly leaves it behind after changing direction 2 or 3 times.
Still no Jeff...? on 13:27 - Jan 25 with 2983 viewsJackSomething

Still no Jeff...? on 12:32 - Jan 25 by jack247

Jeff has shown enough for us to know he's a quality player and when our system under Garry was working, he was capable of destroying fullbacks. Should mean we'd have no problem selling him for a significant profit.

I tend to agree with those who think he's a bad fit if we're returning to our previous 'tika taka' style though. Our most important wingers since we introduced that style of play have probably been Paul Anderson, Andy Robinson, Dyer, Sinclair and Routledge (please let me know if I've missed anyone). Most of those players had some pace, but they were also comfortable playing one-touch, pass and move football. They also had more to their game than beat the fullback and cross (which Jess is great at), with three of them offering serious goal-scoring threats, while even Dyer and Wayne are more prolific than Jeff.

I'm not knocking Jeff, but if we stick to this false-nine system with Ayew, I can't see how his strengths will help us.

Still no Jeff...? on 13:28 - Jan 25 with 2980 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Montero obviously is still a raw talent. I think he has been badly coached thus far with us and not developed as he might. Hopefully he is being worked on/with me and will become a better player as there is a brilliant player in there.

Clubs like us have to back our ability to improve a player rather than look to buy in the finished article all the time
[Post edited 25 Jan 2016 13:30]

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Still no Jeff...? on 13:31 - Jan 25 with 2967 viewsMattG

Still no Jeff...? on 13:27 - Jan 25 by JackSomething

Jeff has shown enough for us to know he's a quality player and when our system under Garry was working, he was capable of destroying fullbacks. Should mean we'd have no problem selling him for a significant profit.

I tend to agree with those who think he's a bad fit if we're returning to our previous 'tika taka' style though. Our most important wingers since we introduced that style of play have probably been Paul Anderson, Andy Robinson, Dyer, Sinclair and Routledge (please let me know if I've missed anyone). Most of those players had some pace, but they were also comfortable playing one-touch, pass and move football. They also had more to their game than beat the fullback and cross (which Jess is great at), with three of them offering serious goal-scoring threats, while even Dyer and Wayne are more prolific than Jeff.

I'm not knocking Jeff, but if we stick to this false-nine system with Ayew, I can't see how his strengths will help us.

If Montero could build the same sort of relationship with Taylor that Dyer had with Rangel, that would be excellent.

Going back as far as Southampton away, Montero looked as if he'd forgotten how to beat a man and, with a handful of exceptions since, that doesn't seem to have changed.
Still no Jeff...? on 13:37 - Jan 25 with 2947 viewsBloodyhills

Still no Jeff...? on 22:34 - Jan 24 by grabsplatter

I would have preferred to see Barrow on to instead of Eder. He is fast and willing to run like crazy and there would have been a better chance on him getting on to the end of our many clearances. It would have saved the balling coming back at us so quickly and there would have been the chance he would have been hacked down a few times so free kicks and or cards for them.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Still no Jeff...? on 13:38 - Jan 25 with 2937 viewsjack247

Still no Jeff...? on 13:28 - Jan 25 by NeiltheTaylor

Montero obviously is still a raw talent. I think he has been badly coached thus far with us and not developed as he might. Hopefully he is being worked on/with me and will become a better player as there is a brilliant player in there.

Clubs like us have to back our ability to improve a player rather than look to buy in the finished article all the time

Fair shout. He definitely doesn't have enough appreciation of where he is and what he should be doing during games. As a talent though, he is potentially brilliant. Hopefully it can be coached into him.
Still no Jeff...? on 13:53 - Jan 25 with 2909 viewsJackSomething

Fair points, especially your last sentence. I suppose Barrow fits that description. Impressive impact on debut, then underwhelming, but now showing potential having received plenty of training.

Still no Jeff...? on 13:57 - Jan 25 with 2898 viewsTheFranchise

Imagine how many people Everton would have left back to defend if we'd put Montero upfront in the the last 20 minutes of the game. Someone with that much pace would need at least 2 back and that's less pressure on our defence.
Still no Jeff...? on 13:59 - Jan 25 with 2884 viewsWxmJax

Still no Jeff...? on 13:37 - Jan 25 by Bloodyhills

I would have preferred to see Barrow on to instead of Eder. He is fast and willing to run like crazy and there would have been a better chance on him getting on to the end of our many clearances. It would have saved the balling coming back at us so quickly and there would have been the chance he would have been hacked down a few times so free kicks and or cards for them.

Would also have given Everton more to think about as they're aware (or should be) of his pace and they would not have sent so many men forward. Saying that, we hung on and won.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Still no Jeff...? on 14:03 - Jan 25 with 2873 viewsjasper_T

He failed to progress at Villarreal and now is repeating the trick here. It's hard to blame the club given his track record.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024