Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The NHS 21:10 - Jan 21 with 14407 viewsexiledclaseboy

I've debated long and hard about posting this but I decided it was worth it as we've seen many threads and posts decrying the NHS and I wanted to redress the balance.

On 12 December my wife went for a routine examination which revealed "something nasty" in her bowel. No symptoms at all, simply a follow up from an unrelated problem from about a month before. Biopsies were taken and we were called back a few days before Christmas to have it confirmed that she has bowel cancer. She had a scan a few days after Christmas to check the cancer hadn't spread (thankfully it hadn't) and that was confirmed last Monday. Yesterday she had the operation to remove the tumour. She's now recovering in Morriston Hospital.

So from initial suspicion of something sinister on 12 December to probably life saving operation five weeks later on 20 January. We haven't had to worry about money and the care at every stage so far has been superb.

I realise that we can all only speak from our personal experiences and that not everyone's will mirror our own. But there is ours. Thank you, NHS.

Poll: Tory leader

The NHS on 19:18 - Nov 20 with 1925 viewsJackfath

The NHS on 17:15 - Nov 20 by exiledclaseboy

So after 11 months, two major operations, nine chemo cycles over seven months and a horrendous misdiagnosis of secondary liver and ovarian cancer which thankfully turned out to hideously wide of the mark, Mrs ECB was today told to come back early next year (which will be a year after the first op) for the normal follow up monitoring scans all cancer sufferers/survivors have. What they removed in the last op in September was benign, all tests and cancer markers are normal. Today is a good day.

My main reasons for bumping this are twofold. Firstly to maybe give some comfort and encouragement to others that are suffering from this awful disease that there is always hope. The wife isn’t out of the woods completely by any means, there’s always the possibility of recurrence. But in July we were told that she had secondary tumours in her liver and ovary which were treatable but incurable. Thankfully that turned out to be a misdiagnosis. We’ve had some horrendously dark times this year, conversations no one should ever have to have wth a loved one but sadly so many people do have to have them. But we’ve also laughed long at hard at times as well at the absurdity of various aspects that come with cancer, its treatement and side effects. I realise that may sound odd but it’s true. Mrs ECB has faced everything thrown at her with amazing stoicism and fight. Far more than I’ve been able to manage at times. She really has been amazing. If it comes back we’ll cross that bridge when it comes.

Secondly I want to say a genuine heartfelt thanks to everyone on here who got in touch to offer support, advice and help. There are too many to mention individually and I’d probably offend someone by forgetting them. But thanks to all of you. I can’t begin to tell you how much it helped. As horrible as we can be to each other on here at times when the chips are down there really are some brilliant people posting on here.

I'm thrilled to read this.

You're both smashers.

xx

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

The NHS on 19:21 - Nov 20 with 1924 viewsexiledclaseboy

The NHS on 19:10 - Nov 20 by Neath_Jack

Brilliant news mate.

It'll be a fantastic Christmas for you both (And Archie of course).

I forgot to mention the boy, bless him. He’s knocking on now but he’s hardly left the wife’s side since she’s been ill, or mine during her lengthy periods in hospital. Legend he is.

The NHS on 19:30 - Nov 20 with 1895 viewsmarchamjack

Loved reading that. There's what's really important in those words. Thank you for sharing.

Good luck to Mrs ECB from here on in and to you both.

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

The NHS on 19:34 - Nov 20 with 1890 viewslondonlisa2001

So after 11 months, two major operations, nine chemo cycles over seven months and a horrendous misdiagnosis of secondary liver and ovarian cancer which thankfully turned out to hideously wide of the mark, Mrs ECB was today told to come back early next year (which will be a year after the first op) for the normal follow up monitoring scans all cancer sufferers/survivors have. What they removed in the last op in September was benign, all tests and cancer markers are normal. Today is a good day.

My main reasons for bumping this are twofold. Firstly to maybe give some comfort and encouragement to others that are suffering from this awful disease that there is always hope. The wife isn’t out of the woods completely by any means, there’s always the possibility of recurrence. But in July we were told that she had secondary tumours in her liver and ovary which were treatable but incurable. Thankfully that turned out to be a misdiagnosis. We’ve had some horrendously dark times this year, conversations no one should ever have to have wth a loved one but sadly so many people do have to have them. But we’ve also laughed long at hard at times as well at the absurdity of various aspects that come with cancer, its treatement and side effects. I realise that may sound odd but it’s true. Mrs ECB has faced everything thrown at her with amazing stoicism and fight. Far more than I’ve been able to manage at times. She really has been amazing. If it comes back we’ll cross that bridge when it comes.

Secondly I want to say a genuine heartfelt thanks to everyone on here who got in touch to offer support, advice and help. There are too many to mention individually and I’d probably offend someone by forgetting them. But thanks to all of you. I can’t begin to tell you how much it helped. As horrible as we can be to each other on here at times when the chips are down there really are some brilliant people posting on here.

Just seen this.

Genuinely so thrilled for both of you.

It's a very odd phenomenon, but posting and talking to people on this sort of forum entwines us in the lives of complete strangers to an extent that you don't realise until it hits you how genuinely pleased this sort of news can make you feel. And it doesn't much matter whether it's posters that you agree with or disagree with. There's something quite nice about that.
The NHS on 19:38 - Nov 20 with 1883 viewsLohengrin

The NHS on 19:34 - Nov 20 by londonlisa2001

Just seen this.

Genuinely so thrilled for both of you.

It's a very odd phenomenon, but posting and talking to people on this sort of forum entwines us in the lives of complete strangers to an extent that you don't realise until it hits you how genuinely pleased this sort of news can make you feel. And it doesn't much matter whether it's posters that you agree with or disagree with. There's something quite nice about that.

The dysfunctional Planet Swans family... we all of us bleed black and white even when we argue black and blue.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The NHS on 19:57 - Nov 20 with 1857 viewsCooperman

That’s tremendous news. Others should and will take positivity from this. Merry Christmas to all!

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

The NHS on 20:16 - Nov 20 with 1830 viewsBLAZE

Brilliant
The NHS on 20:18 - Nov 20 with 1823 viewsjackportis

jp Wishes the poster well. The nhs is marvellous.

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

Login to get fewer ads

The NHS on 20:56 - Nov 20 with 1794 viewsepaul

Andrew I wish your wife all the best and great news for you.

Yes the NHS is fanbl**dytastic, My Dad just had surgery for cancer of the colon last week, he was diagnosed mere weeks ago, he had the surgery last Monday and was home on the friday, sadly he became ill on saturday, so I made my way to swansea and we got him back in hospital, unfotunately he caught some infections, and due to him being so weak plus elderly (73) his body has started shutting down, liver and kidneys are starting to fail, his cancer is stage 4 and he isnt well enough to have chemo, in fact all they can do for him now is give palative care.

I guess my point is everyone on the staff at Morriston have been absolutely fantastic who have dealt with him, even though this is the end for him the dignity and care he has been given is second to none

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

The NHS on 20:58 - Nov 20 with 1792 viewsexiledclaseboy

The NHS on 20:56 - Nov 20 by epaul

Yes the NHS is fanbl**dytastic, My Dad just had surgery for cancer of the colon last week, he was diagnosed mere weeks ago, he had the surgery last Monday and was home on the friday, sadly he became ill on saturday, so I made my way to swansea and we got him back in hospital, unfotunately he caught some infections, and due to him being so weak plus elderly (73) his body has started shutting down, liver and kidneys are starting to fail, his cancer is stage 4 and he isnt well enough to have chemo, in fact all they can do for him now is give palative care.

I guess my point is everyone on the staff at Morriston have been absolutely fantastic who have dealt with him, even though this is the end for him the dignity and care he has been given is second to none

Sad news, Paul. I’ll hope for some kind of miracle for him. All the best mate.

The NHS on 20:59 - Nov 20 with 1790 viewsLohengrin

I'm sorry to hear that, Paul.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The NHS on 20:59 - Nov 20 with 1790 viewsdickythorpe

Sorry to hear your news epaul.
The NHS on 21:06 - Nov 20 with 1779 viewsepaul

Thanks all, unfortunately not even a miracle could sort this one, I drove back to london this afternoon and will be back on my way to Swansea in the morning. I have to be honest, I dont want to see him in pain and would rather he went sooner rather than later and not be in pain, as it is a case of when and not if

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

The NHS on 21:13 - Nov 20 with 1773 viewsDarran

The NHS on 21:06 - Nov 20 by epaul

Thanks all, unfortunately not even a miracle could sort this one, I drove back to london this afternoon and will be back on my way to Swansea in the morning. I have to be honest, I dont want to see him in pain and would rather he went sooner rather than later and not be in pain, as it is a case of when and not if

Hang in there my friend and if there’s anything you need when you’re down this way I’m here.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The NHS on 21:15 - Nov 20 with 1771 viewsWitneyjack

Sorry to hear this Paul. I feel your pain as I lost my Dad recently over a short period (not cancer) of time and watching him wasting away was awful. I too wished for a speedy end so that he no longer suffered.

Please accept my sincere thoughts and best wishes.
The NHS on 21:22 - Nov 20 with 1763 viewslifelong

I feel your pain Paul, I lost my Father many years ago in the early 70’s to that terrible disease and 12 months later my Mother went the same way, it’s a difficult time for you.
The NHS on 21:27 - Nov 20 with 1753 viewsepaul

Thanks all, much appreciated, I guess weve all be affected by this terrible disease

The NHS on 22:31 - Nov 20 with 1717 viewsmax936

Brilliant News, best news I've heard in a while

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

The NHS on 22:38 - Nov 20 with 1709 viewsmax936

Keep your chin up mucker even though its very difficult for you and yours, I'm on the end of the phone for you Paul.
Best Wishes to you all.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

The NHS on 07:42 - Nov 22 with 1614 viewssquarebear

I don’t know you from Adam, ECB, but felt so moved by your post that I had to post.

I wish you and your wife all the very best, and hope calmer waters lie ahead of you.
The NHS on 01:06 - Nov 23 with 1555 viewsDJack

Awesome news Mr &Mrs ECB.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

The NHS on 20:03 - Nov 24 with 1465 viewsbonymine

The NHS on 19:21 - Nov 20 by exiledclaseboy

I forgot to mention the boy, bless him. He’s knocking on now but he’s hardly left the wife’s side since she’s been ill, or mine during her lengthy periods in hospital. Legend he is.

All the best Andrew hope the wife is on the road to recovery mate take care ...

STID. Together Stronger 💪💪💪

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

The NHS on 13:23 - Nov 25 with 1422 viewswaynekerr55

There are many ills with 21st Century Britain and indeed with the NHS, but by god do they do some great work.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The NHS on 15:57 - Nov 25 with 1395 viewsdickythorpe

The NHS on 13:23 - Nov 25 by waynekerr55

There are many ills with 21st Century Britain and indeed with the NHS, but by god do they do some great work.

An older work colleague of mine was told this time last year he had months to live. A massive amount of chemo and radiotherapy plus an op later, he's walking without the aid of a walking stick and wanting to come back to work part time.

Fûck cancer, fight!!!
The NHS on 13:16 - Dec 1 with 1282 viewsSwanseajill

Just seen this Paul, I understand your thoughts and feelings in this post, I felt similar with my mum.

Do get in touch if there's anything you need during your stay?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024