Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Running shoes 22:08 - Feb 13 with 4409 viewsfbreath

Can anyone recommend where to go to get fitted for running shoes for road/treadmill in Swansea area

Have been back in training for just over a year after not doing a lot for about 10 years.

Bought several pairs of trainers off the shelf in sports shop but signed up for Swansea 10k this year and want to have proper fitting trainers. Or is having fitted etc. a myth.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2017 22:09]

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Running shoes on 22:14 - Feb 13 with 4394 viewsCooperman

If you're serious about middle distance running it's definitely not a myth. You should have your feet placement checked out and ensure that your shoes support your running style. A proper fit will help limit wear and tear on your body over time.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Running shoes on 22:19 - Feb 13 with 4376 viewsJoe_bradshaw

I've been trying for weeks to get a pair of running shoes but I can't catch any.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Running shoes on 22:25 - Feb 13 with 4367 viewsPacemaker

I bought a pair at the Asics shop in MacArthur glen had my feet measured and checked to see what type of runnng gait I have. I have been wearing shoes half a size too small, cannot believe the difference.

Manager really helpful and knowledgable.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Running shoes on 22:29 - Feb 13 with 4351 viewsCooperman

If you're in a sports shop and the employee can't talk to you about pronation go somewhere else.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Running shoes on 22:31 - Feb 13 with 4344 viewsItchySphincter

Sports Direct.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-tempo-3-mens-running-shoes-211115?colcode=2

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Running shoes on 22:32 - Feb 13 with 4341 viewsowainglyndwr

http://www.footbeddynamics.com/about-us/our-history/

Chris studied in Australia. He is a Professional in this field not like Up and running having sales staff with a machine
Running shoes on 22:41 - Feb 13 with 4315 viewsmonmouth

Just go to a decent running shop staffed by real runners not salesmen. Foot Biomechanics are important for knees and hips. You can do a simple check by stepping from the bath on to a wet floor and seeing your foot shape. Google it. Remember treadmill running is totally different to road running in nature. Chalk and cheese. Personally I use very basic racing shoes on the treadmill, that would not do me much good over a lot of miles on tarmac, whereas my road shoes are very uncomfortable on a treadmill.

Having said that, I found Sketchers very good for both (go run or go run ride) and I doubt many running shops will recommend them as I got them for thirty quid a pair, and I prefer them to my seventy quid new balance.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Running shoes on 22:59 - Feb 13 with 4298 viewsEbo

Nicky Fran is the man to talk to. Not sure if he posts on here anymore though.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Login to get fewer ads

Running shoes on 23:06 - Feb 13 with 4287 viewsSoberBaker

Running shoes on 22:41 - Feb 13 by monmouth

Just go to a decent running shop staffed by real runners not salesmen. Foot Biomechanics are important for knees and hips. You can do a simple check by stepping from the bath on to a wet floor and seeing your foot shape. Google it. Remember treadmill running is totally different to road running in nature. Chalk and cheese. Personally I use very basic racing shoes on the treadmill, that would not do me much good over a lot of miles on tarmac, whereas my road shoes are very uncomfortable on a treadmill.

Having said that, I found Sketchers very good for both (go run or go run ride) and I doubt many running shops will recommend them as I got them for thirty quid a pair, and I prefer them to my seventy quid new balance.

I think the only thing you'd see after stepping on to a 'wet floor' is your arse.

AMOW

Running shoes on 00:40 - Feb 14 with 4234 viewsJack_Kass

All a running store will do is analyse your cadence (steps per minute), and then determine what kind of impact your foot makes when you run. This is important when determining the type of shoe you need, to protect your feet. In short, depending on the arch of your foot on impact, you will be looking for one of 3 types of shoe that will either

Give you 'motion protection' if you over pronate when running (a high lift)

Give you stability if you're in the common average and have a neutral pronation when you run

Give you cushion if you have a very flat, low lift when running.

Have someone watch you run and they should be able to tell immediately which category you fall into, this is all a store assistant will do.

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Running shoes on 05:32 - Feb 14 with 4198 viewsLoyal

Running shoes on 22:59 - Feb 13 by Ebo

Nicky Fran is the man to talk to. Not sure if he posts on here anymore though.

Leave a message in the Globe bogs seems to be very current and effective 👍

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Running shoes on 07:51 - Feb 14 with 4171 viewsCountyJim

Take your old pair in they can tell a lot from them
Running shoes on 08:13 - Feb 14 with 4157 viewsClinton

I've had good and expert service from "Run and become" London and Cardiff stores.

http://www.runandbecome.com/cardiff

They looked at my shoes, fitted me a pair then sent me out on the street to trot round while they watched me. They also had a treadmill in store. I ended up with a pair of Brooks for about 100 quid. If you doing big mileage, take a deep breath and buy a decent pair.

I've never been that good a distance runner and am now in middle age. when I trained for half marathon a couple of years ago, I started to get aches and pains. It helped to train on grass rather than on Tarmac. I ran the perimeter of the football field at Ashleigh road. 1 km per circuit.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Running shoes on 08:43 - Feb 14 with 4138 viewsmonmouth

Running shoes on 23:06 - Feb 13 by SoberBaker

I think the only thing you'd see after stepping on to a 'wet floor' is your arse.

Ha. Oh yeah, it's your feet that's wet, not the floor. The imprint tells you which of the 3 types of shoe you need as per mr kass.

Running shoes on 08:56 - Feb 14 with 4128 viewsNeath_Jack

I got mine from here http://www.mymoti.com/ they put you on the running machine and hook you up to a computer.

It's by Castle Gardens.

I found them very knowledgeable.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Running shoes on 09:41 - Feb 14 with 4105 viewsdickythorpe

What are you all running from? You're running towards a hip or knee replacement and back pain!

You should run only on sand or grass. Leave the fecking roads to buses and cars!!!!
Running shoes on 10:06 - Feb 14 with 4088 viewsClinton

Running shoes on 09:41 - Feb 14 by dickythorpe

What are you all running from? You're running towards a hip or knee replacement and back pain!

You should run only on sand or grass. Leave the fecking roads to buses and cars!!!!

Some truth in what you say.
Im trying to achieve that fine balance that keeps heart and lungs in shape whilst avoiding the worst wear and tear.
Does give me a bit of a 'buzz' too.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Running shoes on 10:19 - Feb 14 with 4082 viewsmonmouth

Running shoes on 09:41 - Feb 14 by dickythorpe

That's true enough. I find it like a drug unfortunately, and have for nigh on 40 years, mostly on concrete. You are right though, it is in no way rational. Heavier these days too, so no fun for my joints. I wish I still lived by a beach.

Running shoes on 10:31 - Feb 14 with 4072 viewsJFSwan

Road cycling is great as a lung/aerobic workout with a very low impact compared to running, unless you crash going 45mph down a mountain road, that is.
Running shoes on 10:37 - Feb 14 with 4063 viewsClinton

Running shoes on 10:31 - Feb 14 by JFSwan

Road cycling is great as a lung/aerobic workout with a very low impact compared to running, unless you crash going 45mph down a mountain road, that is.

I used to cycle a fair bit, but had a couple of near misses with cars and decided discretion was the better part of valour.

Running shoes on 10:50 - Feb 14 with 4047 viewsPegojack

Ah, the old running v cycling debate.

I used to be a mad keen road runner in my 20s and 30s. My knees are fairly shot now at 61 and running would kill me, but I took up cycling five or six years ago and its my only serious exercise now. Its fab for aerobic exercise and getting out in the fresh air. I hope when I retire in a year or so, I'll be doing a lot more of it. I take inspiration from an episode of the Bike Show last year when they featured two mates from Northern Ireland who still cycle about 100 miles a week and they're in their mid eighties!

Of course the road safety issue is ever present, but hey, you've got to die sometime.... seriously, wherever you live, it ought to be possible to find routes which are relatively cycle safe. You lucky bar stewards who live in Swansea have the whole of the cycle path around the bay to cycle on.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2017 11:48]
Running shoes on 11:00 - Feb 14 with 4037 viewsScotia

I'd head to Moti in castle gardens, just make sure you deal with a Moti member of staff rather than the rugby half of the shop.

One of the few places you can get "Brooks" shoes IMHO the best shoe there is. Once you know the type of shoe you need, and if you want another brand, sportshoes.com is best value.
Running shoes on 13:39 - Feb 14 with 3979 viewsdickythorpe

Rowing is great lads and lasses. Gives you good arms, shoulders, back and legs.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024