Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The death of a dog 00:57 - Dec 31 with 22504 viewsLohengrin

My brother, who in all honesty in the forty seven years I've known, has never shown the slightest indication of possessing finer feelings is inconsolable. I mean, he wasn't like this when his marriage broke up!

What do the amateur psychiatrists on here make of mans' attachment to dogs?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The death of a dog on 12:52 - Apr 7 with 727 viewspencoedjack

The death of a dog on 22:36 - Apr 6 by bonymine

So sorry to say I lost my beloved dog Oscar before Christmas but couldn’t face up to it until now ....

He was THE most important factor in my life after my divorce in 2015, sleep well my beloved companion.....xxxx

Sorry to hear that Bony they are incredible companions & its heart-breaking when you lose them.

Whilst my wife was ill in hospital the hours I walked & talked to my now departed Weimaraner was incredible.

Remember the good times fella.
The death of a dog on 14:41 - Apr 7 with 708 viewsTreforys_Jack

The death of a dog on 22:36 - Apr 6 by bonymine

So sorry to say I lost my beloved dog Oscar before Christmas but couldn’t face up to it until now ....

He was THE most important factor in my life after my divorce in 2015, sleep well my beloved companion.....xxxx

Ah no, gutted to hear that Tobes, some people get the bond, some don't, you were obviously one of the privileged ones. I got 3 at the moment, all rescues, and each one a huge part of my life and can't ever imagine being without one. The grief is real mate and don't let anyone tell you differently.

Good to see you back btw.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2021 14:43]
The death of a dog on 16:04 - Apr 7 with 686 viewsCatullus

Sorry to hear that bonymine, it never gets any easier. I can lose people and deal with it quite easily but my dog, I will cry like a baby when he goes and he's nearly 12 now.

If I had to choose between my dog and my wife, she'd have a problem!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The death of a dog on 16:23 - Apr 7 with 657 viewsonehunglow

The death of a dog on 12:49 - Apr 7 by pencoedjack

Richie I wouldn't recommend a Vizsla at your age mate.

Mine needs a good 2 walks a day & I have never known a dog so clingy (they are not called Velcro Vizsla's for nothing).

No chance of mine staying in a standard kennels when we are away, so she goes to an independent dog sitter & stays at their home.

That said I wouldn't change her for the world, any younger person out there looking to purchase a dog & they enjoy long walks & a dog which needs training I'd highly recommend a Weimaraner (I still miss the old boy after 2 years).

Ey ope.
I might be 71 but I recko fiter than many 30 years younger.Until they closed pools I used to swim 2000 metres per week. I cycle to Mold and back with no issues.
I don't smoke and drink sparingly.

According to Mrs Wifey I am still desirable and able to perform accordingly.

So there.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The death of a dog on 17:02 - Apr 7 with 662 viewspencoedjack

The death of a dog on 16:23 - Apr 7 by onehunglow

Ey ope.
I might be 71 but I recko fiter than many 30 years younger.Until they closed pools I used to swim 2000 metres per week. I cycle to Mold and back with no issues.

So there.

Buy an effing Viszla then
The death of a dog on 17:26 - Apr 7 with 652 viewsCatullus

The death of a dog on 16:23 - Apr 7 by onehunglow

Ey ope.

So there.

So your garden is in good shape then! I can't mow the lawn these days, you're fitter than me.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

The death of a dog on 18:44 - Apr 7 with 622 viewsonehunglow

The death of a dog on 17:02 - Apr 7 by pencoedjack

Buy an effing Viszla then

I don't want a clingy dog though and I hate it when they die.

The death of a dog on 19:02 - Apr 7 with 634 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Sad to hear your news, Bonymine. It’s an awful time and I feel your pain having gone though it.

Our old lady is still amazingly going strong and will be 18 years old before the end of the month. We’ve been fearing the worst for about 4 years now but she still enjoys a couple of walks a day, she eats well and sleeps a lot. Not a bad life.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Login to get fewer ads

The death of a dog on 19:31 - Apr 7 with 623 viewsCatullus

The death of a dog on 19:02 - Apr 7 by Joe_bradshaw

Sad to hear your news, Bonymine. It’s an awful time and I feel your pain having gone though it.

Our old lady is still amazingly going strong and will be 18 years old before the end of the month. We’ve been fearing the worst for about 4 years now but she still enjoys a couple of walks a day, she eats well and sleeps a lot. Not a bad life.

18 years old, that's awesome, I can only wish the same for our pooch.

I have said more thn once I don't want another dog because losing them hurts so much but my wife insists she can never see me not having one and the rescue centres are always full so she's probably right.

Bonymine, when you are ready.....

The death of a dog on 19:38 - Apr 7 with 616 viewsWingstandwood

The war hero (B-24 pilot) reading out the poem in the video flew 20 WW2 combat missions where the statistical chances of a return to base got less and less with each and every passing mission.

He acheieved one of the highest ranks in U.S military i.e. Brigadier General. If he can get upset over a dog? Anyone can I guess!

Argus!

The death of a dog on 19:50 - Apr 7 with 603 viewsbonymine

Very grateful for the many kind words of support very grateful one and all 👍

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

The death of a dog on 19:59 - Apr 7 with 599 viewsCatullus

The death of a dog on 19:38 - Apr 7 by Wingstandwood

The war hero (B-24 pilot) reading out the poem in the video flew 20 WW2 combat missions where the statistical chances of a return to base got less and less with each and every passing mission.

He acheieved one of the highest ranks in U.S military i.e. Brigadier General. If he can get upset over a dog? Anyone can I guess!

Hey, Guy Gibson ans his dog...which for racism reasons I cannot name....he was devastated when he came back from THE mission to find his dog dead and buried.

N....s grave is still there at RAF Scampton though in 2020 his name was removed because it is offensive; The RAF said it "did not want to give prominence to an offensive term that went against its ethos"

So it doesn't matter how brave or heroic you are, a good dog is still a thing of joy, a source of great comfort and friendship and a tragic loss leaving a massive hole in your life.

The death of a dog on 20:08 - Apr 7 with 593 viewsWingstandwood

The death of a dog on 19:59 - Apr 7 by Catullus

Hey, Guy Gibson ans his dog...which for racism reasons I cannot name....he was devastated when he came back from THE mission to find his dog dead and buried.

N....s grave is still there at RAF Scampton though in 2020 his name was removed because it is offensive; The RAF said it "did not want to give prominence to an offensive term that went against its ethos"

So it doesn't matter how brave or heroic you are, a good dog is still a thing of joy, a source of great comfort and friendship and a tragic loss leaving a massive hole in your life.

The profoundest wording/descriptive of a dog that resonates with me most at an emotional level is "unconditional love".

Argus!

The death of a dog on 20:34 - Apr 7 with 568 viewsFlashberryjack

Just read back through this thread, brought back so many good memories albeit tinged with sadness.

The Lilies I planted on Harry's grave 2 years ago have flourished, and they've just started to come to life this year again, he's still missed dearly, but all happy thoughts every time I water and feed the Lilies, similar to when I fed and watered him after a long days hunting, he's gone but not forgotten.

Below is my original post from that very sad day, so, to anyone that has just lost their dog, just remember that you gave him a good life, and he gave you unconditional affection in return, what more is there to say.

"Had to have my Springer Spaniel (Harry) put to sleep today, he was over 16 years old, so not totally unexpected.

I decided to stay with him while the vet gave him the injection, I'm such a bloody coward but I owed him that much after all these years together, we had some great times together, shooting rabbits in the glens of Scotland to name but one.

I was there at his conception and it was fitting that I was with him when he breathed his last, I've selected a nice little place in the garden where his ashes will be buried.

Dew! It's been a bloody awful day."

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

The death of a dog on 22:05 - Apr 7 with 550 viewsTreforys_Jack

This is a heartbreaking yet beautiful thread.
The death of a dog on 22:36 - Apr 7 with 537 viewsTreforys_Jack

The death of a dog on 19:02 - Apr 7 by Joe_bradshaw

Awesome age Joe, I lost a 18 yr old JRT last year and currently have a 18yr old Yorkie, so I must be doing something right.
The death of a dog on 12:08 - Apr 8 with 486 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The death of a dog on 22:36 - Apr 7 by Treforys_Jack

Awesome age Joe, I lost a 18 yr old JRT last year and currently have a 18yr old Yorkie, so I must be doing something right.

That's amazing, Treforys.

Small terriers tend to live long but 18 is ridiculous. Ours were born on a Gower farm. Mother was a West Highland White and father was a visiting Jack Russell who had his way with her behind the barn. Back then they were £25 to a good home and we had two. We lost one at 15 and a half and the other is still going strong.

Cross breeds (mongrels) like that are now fetching £500. Madness.

The death of a dog on 13:26 - Apr 8 with 470 viewsonehunglow

The death of a dog on 12:08 - Apr 8 by Joe_bradshaw

That's amazing, Treforys.

Small terriers tend to live long but 18 is ridiculous. Ours were born on a Gower farm. Mother was a West Highland White and father was a visiting Jack Russell who had his way with her behind the barn. Back then they were £25 to a good home and we had two. We lost one at 15 and a half and the other is still going strong.

Cross breeds (mongrels) like that are now fetching £500. Madness.

Another factor putting me off having a Malinois is the £3000 price tag

The death of a dog on 14:19 - Apr 8 with 460 viewsCatullus

The death of a dog on 20:34 - Apr 7 by Flashberryjack

Just read back through this thread, brought back so many good memories albeit tinged with sadness.

The Lilies I planted on Harry's grave 2 years ago have flourished, and they've just started to come to life this year again, he's still missed dearly, but all happy thoughts every time I water and feed the Lilies, similar to when I fed and watered him after a long days hunting, he's gone but not forgotten.

Below is my original post from that very sad day, so, to anyone that has just lost their dog, just remember that you gave him a good life, and he gave you unconditional affection in return, what more is there to say.

"Had to have my Springer Spaniel (Harry) put to sleep today, he was over 16 years old, so not totally unexpected.

I decided to stay with him while the vet gave him the injection, I'm such a bloody coward but I owed him that much after all these years together, we had some great times together, shooting rabbits in the glens of Scotland to name but one.

I was there at his conception and it was fitting that I was with him when he breathed his last, I've selected a nice little place in the garden where his ashes will be buried.

Dew! It's been a bloody awful day."

I stay with every pet we have put down, one of the worst days of my life was aged 16 and I was told having my Spaniel put down was my choice. I knew it was the right thing,I wanted to cling on but he was suffering. My father drove me to the Vet, we took the dog in and I wanted to stay with him but the vet said no, took the lead and dragged him...literally dragged him off, The poor boy wa terrified, crying, looking back at me and I could see it in his eyes. I tried to go but my father grabbed me.

Ever since then I have been determined that any pet of mine will get the same loyalty they give me. Ever since I was 16 have held every pet we have had to take a last journey with. My dearest hope for my current best friend is he goes to sleep one night, in his usual spot, with the same goodnight fuss he's had for over 11 years and passes quietly in his sleep.

The death of a dog on 14:27 - Apr 8 with 451 viewsonehunglow

The death of a dog on 14:19 - Apr 8 by Catullus

I stay with every pet we have put down, one of the worst days of my life was aged 16 and I was told having my Spaniel put down was my choice. I knew it was the right thing,I wanted to cling on but he was suffering. My father drove me to the Vet, we took the dog in and I wanted to stay with him but the vet said no, took the lead and dragged him...literally dragged him off, The poor boy wa terrified, crying, looking back at me and I could see it in his eyes. I tried to go but my father grabbed me.

Ever since then I have been determined that any pet of mine will get the same loyalty they give me. Ever since I was 16 have held every pet we have had to take a last journey with. My dearest hope for my current best friend is he goes to sleep one night, in his usual spot, with the same goodnight fuss he's had for over 11 years and passes quietly in his sleep.

We had ours taken away by the nice vet.Couldn't face it Cat.

That said,Im still steaming here about the inference I was past it to have a full on dog.

Im going out cycling soon

Sea swimming soon too.

The death of a dog on 14:31 - Apr 8 with 455 viewsCatullus

The death of a dog on 14:27 - Apr 8 by onehunglow

We had ours taken away by the nice vet.Couldn't face it Cat.

That said,Im still steaming here about the inference I was past it to have a full on dog.

Im going out cycling soon

Sea swimming soon too.

Past having a dog....careful where you cycle to, there may be plenty of people having a dog

The death of a dog on 14:36 - Apr 8 with 441 viewsonehunglow

The death of a dog on 14:31 - Apr 8 by Catullus

Past having a dog....careful where you cycle to, there may be plenty of people having a dog

It's Wirral mun.All very civilised innit

The death of a dog on 14:38 - Apr 8 with 447 viewsJoe_bradshaw

It’s terrible but it’s worth it for the years of pleasure and unquestioning love. I’ve had three put to sleep in my arms over the years and it’s hard to bear. Wife cried pitifully last time and was far more upset than when her mother died the year before. Mind you, she liked the dog.

Always hope they fade away in their sleep but it never seems to happen.

The death of a dog on 14:48 - Apr 8 with 441 viewsFireboy2

That's an awful story Cat.

I'm the same as you and everyone on here, when my boy goes, if it isn't in his sleep I will be with him.
The death of a dog on 16:23 - Apr 8 with 415 viewsTreforys_Jack

The death of a dog on 14:48 - Apr 8 by Fireboy2

That's an awful story Cat.

I'm the same as you and everyone on here, when my boy goes, if it isn't in his sleep I will be with him.

Yep, me to, horrible experience that doesn't seem to get easier no matter how many times you go through it. I'm able to rationalise human bereavement far easier than any of my dogs.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024