Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Giving up social media 16:20 - Jan 6 with 4794 viewsMrSwerve

Has anyone who uses social media tried giving it up, or tried having a break from it? By social media I mean Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. Mainly Facebook and Instagram though. I deactivated my accounts a few days ago and am interested to see the effects.
First thoughts is a realisation of how addictive it is, and how dependent I had become on it in terms of checking it whenever possible. Wake up, make a cuppa, check Facebook, etc...on a train, in bed...it’s so easy to start checking it and spend 10-15 mins staring at the screen.
I was personally getting tired of the ‘perfect lives’ that people portray on these, as well as having lots of ‘half friendships’...people who would like or comment on a status but would ignore you in real life, for example. I’m really glad that I didn’t grow up with these things, I dread to think what it can do to the mental health of kids/teens...and even adults.
It’s amazing how much ‘free’ time I’ve found. Plenty more to spend on PS of course.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Giving up social media on 16:24 - Jan 6 with 2544 viewsAguycalledJack

Never been on any of them.
Giving up social media on 16:37 - Jan 6 with 2516 viewsHighjack

I’ve never really done it despite everyone my age being obsessed with it. As far as I can see it’s just people posting pictures of themselves or writing some vacuous comment to get a dopamine hit as the likes come in.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Giving up social media on 16:42 - Jan 6 with 2505 viewsHighjack

For example look at this f*cking idiot

http://facebook.com/profile.php?=73322363

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Giving up social media on 16:42 - Jan 6 with 2505 viewstrinityann

I give up 6/7 years ago after the experience was starting to get negative. It was alright in the early days when you just had close friends and family. I just thank my lucky stars I am not on them anymore and laugh to myself when I get second hand stories from friends and families on Facebook.
Giving up social media on 16:55 - Jan 6 with 2477 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

I’d say planet swans is social media .

Addictive stuff 😀

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Giving up social media on 17:03 - Jan 6 with 2460 viewsMrSwerve

Giving up social media on 16:42 - Jan 6 by trinityann

I give up 6/7 years ago after the experience was starting to get negative. It was alright in the early days when you just had close friends and family. I just thank my lucky stars I am not on them anymore and laugh to myself when I get second hand stories from friends and families on Facebook.

That’s what I’m finding. It’s mostly negative feelings I’m getting back from it. Don’t get me wrong, I have an excellent life and am very happy...but there’s always the temptation to start comparing with others. So many now use it as a ‘look at me and what I’ve got’ platform now.
The feeling of isolation when it’s no longer there is also strange.

Giving up social media on 17:05 - Jan 6 with 2455 viewssherpajacob

I sometimes wish I could completely give it up and just read some more good books instead, but there is no doubt there are positives about social media.

My sons mini football teams use FB for fixture, team selection and other information so I need to go on to find these out, and once on, you get sucked in.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Giving up social media on 17:58 - Jan 6 with 2384 viewsjack2jack

It seems to me a lot of folk are coming around to thinking,what's the point,it seems to make some people misserable,it's known to cause mental issues,as with some other things on the internet these things become monsters,I can see some good in it, as a non user I can't comment further.
But for me I don't need or want it in my life.
Each to their own.
Login to get fewer ads

Giving up social media on 18:01 - Jan 6 with 2383 viewsbuilthjack

I don't do any of them. Although people keep trying to get me onto twitter.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Giving up social media on 18:30 - Jan 6 with 2345 viewsMrSwerve

Giving up social media on 17:58 - Jan 6 by jack2jack

It seems to me a lot of folk are coming around to thinking,what's the point,it seems to make some people misserable,it's known to cause mental issues,as with some other things on the internet these things become monsters,I can see some good in it, as a non user I can't comment further.
But for me I don't need or want it in my life.
Each to their own.

Some of the things I’ve read regarding how it affects people mentally is staggering. Many parallels with drug, alcohol and gambling addictions.

Giving up social media on 18:32 - Jan 6 with 2342 viewsPegojack

Never done any of 'em. They seem like an enormous waste of time, not to mention dangerous in terms of identity theft, etc.
Planet Swans and one or two other subject specific websites are enough for me. If I want to communicate with people at distance, I phone, text or e-mail.
Giving up social media on 18:42 - Jan 6 with 2317 viewsGreatBritton

I tried Twitter early days. Pointless dribble. I thought you ha to be on facebook, but it turns out my life is rich without it and might have been poorer with it. I don't understand Instagram. Is it a ploy to stop people verbalising their thoughts? I think it might be.
Giving up social media on 18:48 - Jan 6 with 2302 viewsThrasher6

I deactivated Facebook about 6 months ago and I don't miss it at all. I hated the pseudo relationships and self publicising (although we all are all guilty of that by it's very nature.... )
Glad to be rid of it...

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Giving up social media on 18:55 - Jan 6 with 2288 viewsWingstandwood

On one hand it can be great for crowdfunding, charity initiatives, raising public awareness etc.

Then the downside (like bacteria in a petri dish) it breeds narcissism, self indulgence, self-centeredness, conspicuous consumerism, "keep-up-with-the-Joneses" materialism and Me!...Me! attitudes.

Someone on here on this forum previously labelled it "BragBook" and that can be a rather apt descriptive at times.

I know an individual who had a 'lavish' ego-trip of a wedding that was fuelled by the need to keep up with and to out-do others who had recently got married themselves. The marriage vows and meaning of being joined in matrimony seemed of vastly less importance than being the centre of attention, being FaceBook star for a day and being the major player in an ego-fest.

Bizarre really because within weeks of the wedding (marriage now struggling) the anti-climax arrived and the novelty of marriage had completely worn off when there was nothing more left to 'excite/post' on FaceBook.

Argus!

Giving up social media on 18:57 - Jan 6 with 2282 viewsGowerjack

Most have given up Planet Swans...

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Giving up social media on 18:58 - Jan 6 with 2281 viewsdickythorpe

Not on Facebook, not on twitter. Many on there are the "fearful of missing out brigade" and downright nosey.
But then if you are posting all your movements you will get a following.

Each to their own but many need to get out more.
Giving up social media on 19:06 - Jan 6 with 2259 viewsBrynCartwright

Used to be on Facebook until 2013, but haven't been on since then, and I do feel better for it, though I can understand that for local communications, for a rugby club or whatever, it is useful. I really do not understand Twitter. Planet Swans is my only social media addiction.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Giving up social media on 19:15 - Jan 6 with 2236 viewsphact0rri

I gave up facebook last year after the cambridge analytica scandal being the last straw. I am still on Twitter, and here mind. Though I still get a lot of looks when people reference facebook, and I have to tell them I don't have an account. But I don't really miss it.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Giving up social media on 19:20 - Jan 6 with 2219 viewsjack2jack

Giving up social media on 18:55 - Jan 6 by Wingstandwood

On one hand it can be great for crowdfunding, charity initiatives, raising public awareness etc.

Then the downside (like bacteria in a petri dish) it breeds narcissism, self indulgence, self-centeredness, conspicuous consumerism, "keep-up-with-the-Joneses" materialism and Me!...Me! attitudes.

Someone on here on this forum previously labelled it "BragBook" and that can be a rather apt descriptive at times.

I know an individual who had a 'lavish' ego-trip of a wedding that was fuelled by the need to keep up with and to out-do others who had recently got married themselves. The marriage vows and meaning of being joined in matrimony seemed of vastly less importance than being the centre of attention, being FaceBook star for a day and being the major player in an ego-fest.

Bizarre really because within weeks of the wedding (marriage now struggling) the anti-climax arrived and the novelty of marriage had completely worn off when there was nothing more left to 'excite/post' on FaceBook.

The problem I see is that some folk are so obsessed with everyone else's lives, they are actually missing their own, that is the saddest part for me.
Giving up social media on 19:31 - Jan 6 with 2204 viewsBrynCartwright

Giving up social media on 19:20 - Jan 6 by jack2jack

The problem I see is that some folk are so obsessed with everyone else's lives, they are actually missing their own, that is the saddest part for me.

It's like being at a concert of your favourite band, and holding up a phone camera to record it, rather than enjoying it through your own eyes instead.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Giving up social media on 19:31 - Jan 6 with 2202 viewsN_T_J

I'm on Twitter, I use it for football gossip really. Not on FB or Instagram.

There's to much drama on those sites for my liking! This place is just as bad though 😂
Giving up social media on 19:33 - Jan 6 with 2198 viewsWingstandwood

Giving up social media on 19:20 - Jan 6 by jack2jack

Yep, the person I know that got married done so because he felt he had to follow the crowd and had to keep up. I know that for a fact because he admitted it to me that it was a case of being pressured to do so by more external sources.

The funny thing? The wedding? I did not see two people in love with each other but more two people who were more in love with themselves and their own ego's.

Argus!

Giving up social media on 19:37 - Jan 6 with 2184 viewsJackfath

Facebook is dreadful, it should be banned. The amount of issues it causes for youngsters is incredible.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Giving up social media on 19:38 - Jan 6 with 2176 viewsjack2jack

Giving up social media on 19:31 - Jan 6 by BrynCartwright

It's like being at a concert of your favourite band, and holding up a phone camera to record it, rather than enjoying it through your own eyes instead.

There was a bloke on the TV the other day Bryn, talking about this very thing, he said that, some are so obsessed, for instance, they go on holiday, and don't actually take anything in, because they are busy posting on FB.
Giving up social media on 19:39 - Jan 6 with 2173 viewsJackfath

Giving up social media on 19:38 - Jan 6 by jack2jack

There was a bloke on the TV the other day Bryn, talking about this very thing, he said that, some are so obsessed, for instance, they go on holiday, and don't actually take anything in, because they are busy posting on FB.

Well, said, max.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024