Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gordon Banks RIP 09:59 - Feb 12 with 2980 viewssherpajacob

One of the all time greats.

Almost as good as Roger.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Gordon Banks RIP on 10:24 - Feb 12 with 2084 viewsjackharris

Saddened to hear the news. I was a goalkeeper in my younger days so always looked up to the really good keepers. He was a bit before my time so I didn’t see a huge amount of his goalkeeping. The save he made from Pele’s header will be shown a million times today and that is how this World Cup winner should be remembered. I always found it remarkable that he only had one eye. RIP Gordon Banks...

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

Gordon Banks RIP on 10:38 - Feb 12 with 2054 viewsswan65split

Gordon Banks RIP on 10:24 - Feb 12 by jackharris

Saddened to hear the news. I was a goalkeeper in my younger days so always looked up to the really good keepers. He was a bit before my time so I didn’t see a huge amount of his goalkeeping. The save he made from Pele’s header will be shown a million times today and that is how this World Cup winner should be remembered. I always found it remarkable that he only had one eye. RIP Gordon Banks...

Rip . yes he was a hero of mine also as I was a goalkeeper to start with.
Gordon Banks RIP on 10:40 - Feb 12 with 2054 viewsWxmJax

Don't think he ever played over here again after the car accident that altered his sight but did come out of retirement and play in America for a short while a few years later. I remember him having a stormer against West Ham in league cup semi final I think in 72 saving a Geoff Hurst penalty amongst other great saves.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Gordon Banks RIP on 12:23 - Feb 12 with 1962 viewssherpajacob

Gordon Banks RIP on 10:24 - Feb 12 by jackharris

Lost his eye in 1972 in a car crash.

He was before my time, but obviously a great keeper.

GOAT? Always debatable, if you watch the official film of 1966, Yashin is described as the world's best. By 1970 Banks was the best.

Imho Shilton was the best England keeper I've seen.

I suppose it's, like arguing if Buffon is better than Neuer . All great keepers.

How,many of the 66 team are left?

Gordon Banks RIP on 12:30 - Feb 12 with 1952 viewsThrasher6

Massive Swans fan....

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Gordon Banks RIP on 12:35 - Feb 12 with 1940 viewsjack2jack

Legend-RIP
Gordon Banks RIP on 12:59 - Feb 12 with 1910 viewsYossarian

Gordon Banks RIP on 12:23 - Feb 12 by sherpajacob

Lost his eye in 1972 in a car crash.

He was before my time, but obviously a great keeper.

GOAT? Always debatable, if you watch the official film of 1966, Yashin is described as the world's best. By 1970 Banks was the best.

Imho Shilton was the best England keeper I've seen.

I suppose it's, like arguing if Buffon is better than Neuer . All great keepers.

How,many of the 66 team are left?

George Cohen, Jack Charlton, Bobby Charlton, Geoff Hurst, Roger Hunt

Nobby Stiles and Martin Peters have dementia apparently.

Banks was a truly great keeper....England would definitely have got through to the Semi final in 1970 if he’d have been fit. For those of us old enough to remember, that 1970 was a really good team and I wouldn’t have been surprised if England had got to the Final. People forget that England missed a couple of sitters against Brazil in the group match and they were the best sides in the tournament.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

Gordon Banks RIP on 13:24 - Feb 12 with 1889 viewsdickythorpe

A legend. RIP
Login to get fewer ads

Gordon Banks RIP on 13:28 - Feb 12 with 1877 viewsLord_Bony

Can remember watching this live as a kid .

Brilliant goal keeping. One of the best saves ever.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Gordon Banks RIP on 13:32 - Feb 12 with 1868 viewsbuilthjack

Great keeper, and as Jackharris said, how the hell did he play with one eye. I know it was only in America, but didn't he win player of the year or similar? RIP

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Gordon Banks RIP on 13:41 - Feb 12 with 1854 viewsjack2jack

Gordon Banks RIP on 13:32 - Feb 12 by builthjack

Great keeper, and as Jackharris said, how the hell did he play with one eye. I know it was only in America, but didn't he win player of the year or similar? RIP

World's best keeper 6 times on the bounce, I believe.
Gordon Banks RIP on 13:44 - Feb 12 with 1845 viewstheloneranger

Gordon Banks RIP on 10:40 - Feb 12 by WxmJax

Don't think he ever played over here again after the car accident that altered his sight but did come out of retirement and play in America for a short while a few years later. I remember him having a stormer against West Ham in league cup semi final I think in 72 saving a Geoff Hurst penalty amongst other great saves.

He was named goalkeeper of the year in 1977 playing for Fort Lauderdale Strikers in the North American Soccer League, when they won the league.

He was 39, playing with one eye and only conceding 29 goals in 26 games. Retiring aged 40.

RIP Gordon, one of the all time greats

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Gordon Banks RIP on 13:49 - Feb 12 with 1830 viewsmonmouth

Gordon Banks RIP on 13:28 - Feb 12 by Lord_Bony

Can remember watching this live as a kid .

Brilliant goal keeping. One of the best saves ever.

The best save ever.

And the sole reason that England weren't playing Brazil in the World Cup Final in 1970 in my opinion. My, how history might have changed, that was a strong and disciplined England team, far more disciplined than the Italian team Brazil tore to pieces. I thought Alf Ramsey was treated very shabbily, but it was two goalkeepers that let him down, Bonetti and Shilton. With Banks against Germany and Poland, Alf might also have a different history.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Gordon Banks RIP on 13:55 - Feb 12 with 1817 viewsbuilthjack

Gordon Banks RIP on 13:41 - Feb 12 by jack2jack

World's best keeper 6 times on the bounce, I believe.

I meant when he played with one eye

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Gordon Banks RIP on 14:13 - Feb 12 with 1800 viewsjack2jack

Gordon Banks RIP on 13:55 - Feb 12 by builthjack

I meant when he played with one eye

Apologies,should have payed more attention to you post..
Gordon Banks RIP on 15:06 - Feb 12 with 1780 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

RIP

As a nipper if you were the goalie you were always Gordon Banks.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2019 18:37]

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Gordon Banks RIP on 16:35 - Feb 12 with 1722 viewsLord_Bony

Gordon Banks RIP on 13:49 - Feb 12 by monmouth

The best save ever.

And the sole reason that England weren't playing Brazil in the World Cup Final in 1970 in my opinion. My, how history might have changed, that was a strong and disciplined England team, far more disciplined than the Italian team Brazil tore to pieces. I thought Alf Ramsey was treated very shabbily, but it was two goalkeepers that let him down, Bonetti and Shilton. With Banks against Germany and Poland, Alf might also have a different history.

Just as well really.

Can you imagine 2 World Cups on the bounce...Jesus they'd still be going on about it today.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Gordon Banks RIP on 16:42 - Feb 12 with 1711 viewsBloodyhills

RIP Mr Banks.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Gordon Banks RIP on 18:21 - Feb 12 with 1661 viewsLoyal

Gordon Banks RIP on 16:35 - Feb 12 by Lord_Bony

Just as well really.

Can you imagine 2 World Cups on the bounce...Jesus they'd still be going on about it today.

The Germans have been their nemisis since 1970, it's funny as fck.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Gordon Banks RIP on 18:25 - Feb 12 with 1658 viewsbuilthjack

Gordon Banks RIP on 18:21 - Feb 12 by Loyal

Are you the real Loyal ?

Gordon Banks RIP on 18:28 - Feb 12 with 1652 viewsLoyal

Gordon Banks RIP on 18:25 - Feb 12 by builthjack

Are you the real Loyal ?

I am, Phil restored me after a word with one of his best mates.
Phil will qualify this.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.

Gordon Banks RIP on 18:30 - Feb 12 with 1650 viewsbuilthjack

Gordon Banks RIP on 18:28 - Feb 12 by Loyal

I am, Phil restored me after a word with one of his best mates.
Phil will qualify this.

Phil needs to dig into a few laptops and see who is who

Gordon Banks RIP on 18:33 - Feb 12 with 1643 viewsLoyal

Gordon Banks RIP on 18:30 - Feb 12 by builthjack

Phil needs to dig into a few laptops and see who is who

He knows exactly who I am, but the thing that made me laugh is Eddie and the rest wanting to be me.
Soft cnts.

Gordon Banks RIP on 20:21 - Feb 12 with 1592 viewsbonymine

RIP Gordon, I was just a one year old babe in arms back in 1966 but having watched the many highlights of your career since you truly were a legend in every sense of the word and THAT save just defies belief and it was good to hear Pele say that it brought you together as friends for life .....lovely story.

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Gordon Banks RIP on 21:09 - Feb 12 with 1557 viewssherpajacob

Gordon Banks RIP on 18:21 - Feb 12 by Loyal

Everybody decent has been their nemesis since 1970.

The only teams England have beaten inside 90 minutes in the knock out stages since 1970 are;
Paraguay 86
Denmark 02.
Ecuador 06.
Sweden 18

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024