Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Typical Millwall Fan 19:14 - May 8 with 7092 viewsDarran

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Typical Millwall Fan on 15:21 - May 9 with 1720 viewsGlyn1

Typical Millwall Fan on 15:12 - May 9 by Neath_Jack

It's not up to you whether you think it's racist or not (I'm assuming that you are white here).

You do not have to be the brains of Britain to anticipate that people are going to make a correlation between the chimp and that of the baby of a mixed race person. Let's be honest, there's been loads of memes flying about mocking the race of the mother / grandmother etc.

He should have known better, same as those people who "blacken up".

Yes, he absolutely should have known better but it sounds more like stupidity rather than racism.

It's still harsh to have immediately sacked him rather than suspended him without pay and investigated.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Typical Millwall Fan on 15:48 - May 9 with 1681 views1983

Typical Millwall Fan on 10:59 - May 9 by hobo

It's obviously meant to illustrate the kid being born into wealth and privilege.

Anyone who sees it as racist are being the racist ones themselves

Exactly this people angle things for their own agenda and just to dig other people out unfortunately the world is full of them.

Typical Millwall Fan on 15:55 - May 9 with 1664 viewsNeath_Jack

Typical Millwall Fan on 15:21 - May 9 by Glyn1

Yes, he absolutely should have known better but it sounds more like stupidity rather than racism.

It's still harsh to have immediately sacked him rather than suspended him without pay and investigated.

I agree with most of that.

I have no idea if he’s a racist or not, can’t say I’ve paid much attention to him before. He is a f*cking idiot for posting it though.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Typical Millwall Fan on 16:41 - May 9 with 1636 viewsBytholWyn

Typical Millwall Fan on 15:55 - May 9 by Neath_Jack

I agree with most of that.

I have no idea if he’s a racist or not, can’t say I’ve paid much attention to him before. He is a f*cking idiot for posting it though.

Agreed that he's an idiot, but i'd like to hear what the BBC's rationale for sacking him was. If they're asserting that the post was racist, as opposed to being just plain naive/stupid, then they're on very thin ice. The fact that some people may misinterpret the intent of the posting should be neither here nor there.
Typical Millwall Fan on 19:06 - May 9 with 1556 viewsDarran

Typical Millwall Fan on 19:12 - May 9 with 1547 viewsGaryjack

Typical Millwall Fan on 11:26 - May 9 by bluey_the_blue

Clearly it's PG gone mad....

I have no idea why this post only has 3 up arrows!
Typical Millwall Fan on 19:14 - May 9 with 1547 viewsDarran

Typical Millwall Fan on 19:12 - May 9 by Garyjack

I have no idea why this post only has 3 up arrows!

I’m nicking it.

Typical Millwall Fan on 19:18 - May 9 with 1535 viewssainthelens

Typical Millwall Fan on 19:06 - May 9 by Darran

Login to get fewer ads

Typical Millwall Fan on 19:22 - May 9 with 1523 viewsLeonWasGod

Typical Millwall Fan on 19:06 - May 9 by Darran

That’s funnier than Fanny Baker’s effort
Typical Millwall Fan on 19:48 - May 9 with 1492 viewsexiledclaseboy

Baker’s been sacked by the BBC loads of times. They’ll give it a few months for things to die down and he’ll be back eventually. I’ll miss his Saturday morning show though. I always enjoy his radio shows but he does come across as a bit of a dick on Twitter. The offending tweet was stupid in the extreme and his poor attempts at apologising in his own wide boy way just made things worse.

Poll: Tory leader

Typical Millwall Fan on 19:52 - May 9 with 1483 viewsexiledclaseboy

Typical Millwall Fan on 16:41 - May 9 by BytholWyn

Agreed that he's an idiot, but i'd like to hear what the BBC's rationale for sacking him was. If they're asserting that the post was racist, as opposed to being just plain naive/stupid, then they're on very thin ice. The fact that some people may misinterpret the intent of the posting should be neither here nor there.

I don’t know this for sure but I think he’s freelance as opposed to a BBC employee and his show is independently produced for 5Live. So it’s not really a question of sacking him, they just won’t use him anymore.

And if he is an employee I suppose this could easily be construed as gross misconduct resulting in summary dismissal.

Poll: Tory leader

Typical Millwall Fan on 20:12 - May 9 with 1435 viewsmajorraglan

Typical Millwall Fan on 10:59 - May 9 by hobo

It's obviously meant to illustrate the kid being born into wealth and privilege.

Anyone who sees it as racist are being the racist ones themselves

If you consider the definition of a racist incident applied by various organisations including Citizens Advice and the police what Danny Baker tweeted could definitely be perceived as a racist.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/hate-crime/racis
Typical Millwall Fan on 20:25 - May 9 with 1411 viewsjack2jack

I'm not buying this, idea that if you see something that is not intended as racist, then you must be racist garbage.
We all know what is acceptable and unacceptable, we all know what can offend and what can't.
Just have a think first rather than post random sh!t for comic effect. BTW it was neither funny or clever as I've already intimated.
If he doesn't know the rules he should do, either that or his thick as pig shite
Typical Millwall Fan on 20:30 - May 9 with 1395 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Typical Millwall Fan on 20:25 - May 9 by jack2jack

I'm not buying this, idea that if you see something that is not intended as racist, then you must be racist garbage.
We all know what is acceptable and unacceptable, we all know what can offend and what can't.
Just have a think first rather than post random sh!t for comic effect. BTW it was neither funny or clever as I've already intimated.
If he doesn't know the rules he should do, either that or his thick as pig shite

I don’t think he’s a racist but the post was dumb in the extreme. Who would be idiotic enough to post that with racist intentions and expect no backlash?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Typical Millwall Fan on 20:42 - May 9 with 1373 viewsjack2jack

Typical Millwall Fan on 20:30 - May 9 by Brynmill_Jack

I don’t think he’s a racist but the post was dumb in the extreme. Who would be idiotic enough to post that with racist intentions and expect no backlash?

I agree with you and Im not suggesting he is racist.He is either ill informed or thick or both.👍
His statement to the press earlier was pathetic.
Typical Millwall Fan on 20:44 - May 9 with 1370 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Typical Millwall Fan on 20:42 - May 9 by jack2jack

I agree with you and Im not suggesting he is racist.He is either ill informed or thick or both.👍
His statement to the press earlier was pathetic.

Sorry I didn’t mean to infer you personally thought he was a racist, just an observation from me mate.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Typical Millwall Fan on 20:46 - May 9 with 1362 viewsNotLoyal

Sounds to me like he was looking for a way out and has had a better offer elsewhere.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Typical Millwall Fan on 20:55 - May 9 with 1339 viewsjack2jack

Typical Millwall Fan on 20:44 - May 9 by Brynmill_Jack

Sorry I didn’t mean to infer you personally thought he was a racist, just an observation from me mate.

Didn't take it that way at all.
No worries
Typical Millwall Fan on 20:58 - May 9 with 1333 viewslondonlisa2001

Typical Millwall Fan on 20:46 - May 9 by NotLoyal

Sounds to me like he was looking for a way out and has had a better offer elsewhere.

Making himself unemployable isn’t a good way to go about it.
Typical Millwall Fan on 21:00 - May 9 with 1326 viewslondonlisa2001

Typical Millwall Fan on 15:21 - May 9 by Glyn1

He posted a picture of a monkey describing it as being the royal baby when said baby is of mixed race.

It’s not remotely harsh to have sacked him irrespective of what he was or wasn’t thinking.
Typical Millwall Fan on 21:10 - May 9 with 1287 viewsGaryjack

Typical Millwall Fan on 21:00 - May 9 by londonlisa2001

He posted a picture of a monkey describing it as being the royal baby when said baby is of mixed race.

It’s not remotely harsh to have sacked him irrespective of what he was or wasn’t thinking.

I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone cannot grasp that what he posted was anything other than an act of racism, whether he was joking or not. It was akin to throwing a banana at a black footballer back in the dark ages.
Typical Millwall Fan on 23:16 - May 9 with 1187 viewsBytholWyn

Typical Millwall Fan on 21:10 - May 9 by Garyjack

I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone cannot grasp that what he posted was anything other than an act of racism, whether he was joking or not. It was akin to throwing a banana at a black footballer back in the dark ages.

Not at all. Anyone throwing a banana at a black footballer would have clear racist intent.

The question of intent is central here, and to dodge that issue is mealy mouthed. If Danny Baker has any previous for making racist comments then a racist intent can be reasonably inferred in his badly judged tweet. But as far as I'm aware Baker has no previous in this regard (and you can be pretty confident it would have been pointed out by now) - so his explanation that it was a crap joke should be taken at face value.

It's interesting to note that no one has alleged a racist intent, presumably because they're concerned about committing libel. Not very brave that. It's noteworthy that the BBC also failed to explain why exactly he deserved to be sacked. Cowardly behaviour.

There is a basic principle of natural justice at stake here. Does somebody deserve to be sacked and vilified because others have misunderstood something they've said? I don't think so, but I guess I'm in a minority.
Typical Millwall Fan on 23:29 - May 9 with 1174 viewssainthelens

Typical Millwall Fan on 23:16 - May 9 by BytholWyn

Not at all. Anyone throwing a banana at a black footballer would have clear racist intent.

The question of intent is central here, and to dodge that issue is mealy mouthed. If Danny Baker has any previous for making racist comments then a racist intent can be reasonably inferred in his badly judged tweet. But as far as I'm aware Baker has no previous in this regard (and you can be pretty confident it would have been pointed out by now) - so his explanation that it was a crap joke should be taken at face value.

It's interesting to note that no one has alleged a racist intent, presumably because they're concerned about committing libel. Not very brave that. It's noteworthy that the BBC also failed to explain why exactly he deserved to be sacked. Cowardly behaviour.

There is a basic principle of natural justice at stake here. Does somebody deserve to be sacked and vilified because others have misunderstood something they've said? I don't think so, but I guess I'm in a minority.

The BBC have sacked him cos after they have form with previous celebs and their antics, so anyone seemingly crossing a line is gonna go. Thought that would be obvious.
Typical Millwall Fan on 01:47 - May 10 with 1127 viewsNotLoyal

I did a few tech shows with a band called Alternative TV. Taft Punk will know who I mean. Danny Baker was at some of the shows, big mates with them, was a properly nice chap. He had Jolls Holland in tow as well who also was a roadie for ATV. Of interest to not many but was a surprise to me.
[Post edited 10 May 2019 23:39]

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Typical Millwall Fan on 12:11 - May 10 with 1013 viewsmajorraglan

The BBC are carrying a feature on him today, it’s an apology and an explanation. He states he was “attempting to lampoon privilege and the news cycle and went to a file of goofy pictures.....”. Looks like a few errors of judgement, he’s made a huge mistake with the picture and his subsequent response didn’t do him any favours either.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48226247

I don’t know what it is with Facebook and Twitter etc, all sorts of people say and post inappropriate messages online which can cause them huge issues going forward.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024