Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Club is falling apart at the seams 09:09 - May 20 with 3042 viewsswancity

And yet nothing can be done about it

It’s being dismantled and the slide will be impossible to stop without a change of ownership that much is clear

Sad. So sad to see.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 09:12 - May 20 with 2494 viewsDarran

I agree and it should be a stark reminder of what our former owners have done to our club.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 09:13 - May 20 with 2482 viewsAngelRangelQS

I don’t see what a change in ownership is going to do.

Who do people realistically think are going to buy our club and why?
The Club is falling apart at the seams on 09:14 - May 20 with 2478 viewsLeonWasGod

At least you're keeping your spirits up

We've been here before when Martinez, Souza and Brenda all left. It all comes down to who comes in. If they get this decision wrong we're fecked. I'm not holding my breath based on their record, but there's a chance they could appoint someone with the quality and respect needed to hold things together, and maybe even build on this season.

We'll have lost a few players whether Potter would have stayed or not. Dan's effectively gone and you'll always have teams sniffing around a striker who can gt 20 goals a season.
The Club is falling apart at the seams on 09:21 - May 20 with 2419 viewsJinxy

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 09:14 - May 20 by LeonWasGod

At least you're keeping your spirits up

We've been here before when Martinez, Souza and Brenda all left. It all comes down to who comes in. If they get this decision wrong we're fecked. I'm not holding my breath based on their record, but there's a chance they could appoint someone with the quality and respect needed to hold things together, and maybe even build on this season.

We'll have lost a few players whether Potter would have stayed or not. Dan's effectively gone and you'll always have teams sniffing around a striker who can gt 20 goals a season.

I think the difference is why some of our previous managers, as perhaps opposed to GP left.
Back in that day the club was on the up then - with Martinez and Rogers going for purely aspirational reasons. IF Potter did the same, then we're OK. If, however and as many (including me) suspect there were some frightening selling strategies that we may be about to witness (as well as the lure of the PL of course), then that's something quite different. That's why I'm worried anyway.
The Club is falling apart at the seams on 09:38 - May 20 with 2304 viewspencoedjack

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 09:21 - May 20 by Jinxy

I think the difference is why some of our previous managers, as perhaps opposed to GP left.
Back in that day the club was on the up then - with Martinez and Rogers going for purely aspirational reasons. IF Potter did the same, then we're OK. If, however and as many (including me) suspect there were some frightening selling strategies that we may be about to witness (as well as the lure of the PL of course), then that's something quite different. That's why I'm worried anyway.

Championship manager is offered a PL role & leaves

Shock horror.
The Club is falling apart at the seams on 09:41 - May 20 with 2278 viewsBadlands

Roberto left for money and Premier League and our spending and selling was no more extreme than it is now - we bought what we could afford without being in debt.
Sousa left for money and what he thought were better prospects (for do's, he has spoken publicly about that decision being a mistake) and our spending and selling was even more extreme than it is now - we wasted money tinkering on has-beens inserted of bringing in a striker who could remain injury free. But, we spent what we could afford without being in debt.
Brendan left for money and Premier League and our spending and selling was no more extreme than it is now - we bought what we could afford without being in debt.

The club isn't 'falling apart at the seams' IMO we are regaining what we lost after Laudrup was sacked.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 09:50 - May 20 with 2239 viewsAlfieMooresSon

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 09:41 - May 20 by Badlands

Roberto left for money and Premier League and our spending and selling was no more extreme than it is now - we bought what we could afford without being in debt.
Sousa left for money and what he thought were better prospects (for do's, he has spoken publicly about that decision being a mistake) and our spending and selling was even more extreme than it is now - we wasted money tinkering on has-beens inserted of bringing in a striker who could remain injury free. But, we spent what we could afford without being in debt.
Brendan left for money and Premier League and our spending and selling was no more extreme than it is now - we bought what we could afford without being in debt.

The club isn't 'falling apart at the seams' IMO we are regaining what we lost after Laudrup was sacked.

All the above works perfectly if you can get a top quality Manager, like the above and Laudrup, but you can't get it right every time, we've ridden our luck in the past but it caught up with us in the end.

The difference this time is we are more like to get a Bob Bradley than a Roberto Martinez, we should be worried we are in rapid decline, and can't afford to get this next appointment wrong, or we really are fecked!
[Post edited 20 May 2019 10:00]
The Club is falling apart at the seams on 09:52 - May 20 with 2219 viewsAlfieMooresSon

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 09:12 - May 20 by Darran

I agree and it should be a stark reminder of what our former owners have done to our club.

I was just about to post a similar post to this, but more asking what can be done to turn this around, other than a heap of luck and the right appointment, which may help short term, until he leaves, due to better prospects and lack of backing!

What can we do about the ownership, and what can the trust really do?
[Post edited 20 May 2019 9:53]
Login to get fewer ads

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 10:19 - May 20 with 2028 viewsblaenaugwentjack

Totally agree.
The Club is falling apart at the seams on 10:20 - May 20 with 2016 viewsPrivate_Partz

Indeed, but don't worry. The Happy Clappers and the 'we are a small club and don't derserve any more' brigade will be along to reassure you as we make our way down the leagues.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 10:28 - May 20 with 1953 viewsPrivate_Partz

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 09:13 - May 20 by AngelRangelQS

Nice stadium, successful academy, decent fan base. Little competition around for the size of the population base, cheap.
We are not as bad as you might think.
Owners who actually gave an eff about the club would defiantly help. Baffled how you think that changing them could not be positive. Have to be the right ones though.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 10:33 - May 20 with 1933 viewsswancity

That’s because you possibly don’t understand how things work at a football Club

The structure of a club in terms of ownership and how they decide to run it is paramount. And what are their objectives and motives ?

You buy a football club for many different reasons. Our owners see it as a way to make a profit, and a relatively quick one, it’s an investment ..no more no less.

They are not the owners this club needed that’s for sure and Jenkins can take all of the blame just as he was quick to take all the credit previously. It’s a shambles. As it stands the club is on the verge of doing a Coventry or Blackpool or Portsmouth. This has nothing to do with a manager or a star player leaving. The ramifications are far wider and more serious.

I hope that the Trust can at last make some progress with the legal case against the previous owners. That seems to have again all gone quiet. With no adequate explanation.

What a mess.

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 10:35 - May 20 with 1923 viewsjasper_T

Some people clearly put all their eggs in the "Potter is the messiah" basket.
The Club is falling apart at the seams on 10:57 - May 20 with 1807 viewsNotLoyal

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 09:12 - May 20 by Darran

Two years ago anything was possible, two years later the clubs supporters reap the rewards of inactivity.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 11:06 - May 20 with 1762 viewsBadlands

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 09:50 - May 20 by AlfieMooresSon

All the above works perfectly if you can get a top quality Manager, like the above and Laudrup, but you can't get it right every time, we've ridden our luck in the past but it caught up with us in the end.

The difference this time is we are more like to get a Bob Bradley than a Roberto Martinez, we should be worried we are in rapid decline, and can't afford to get this next appointment wrong, or we really are fecked!
[Post edited 20 May 2019 10:00]

Roberto, Sousa and Rodgers weren't top quality until we took a punt on them.
Bradley should have been good given his experience and success at international level and being appreciated for improving the French team he was with. Not at all right for us but given his resume not a ridiculous choice.
Potter's track record was in improving a relatively unknown Swedish team (even in Sweden Östersunds was obscure) and was brought in to do the same for us. He hasn't managed a 'ready made' club as yet and it will be interesting to see how he copes.
Other than Clements, who initially did a good job for us, other managers were very highly regarded.
Even as a 3rd level side Roberto's appointment was not popular at first, nor was Sousa, nor was Rodgers.
Carvalhal and Guidolin are both very good managers. Guidolin was shafted but IMO was getting us back on track.

The most important element that the next manager will bring is a philosophy that continues where Potter left of.

But falling apart?
Perspective, perspective.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 11:19 - May 20 with 1709 viewsAlfieMooresSon

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 11:06 - May 20 by Badlands

Roberto, Sousa and Rodgers weren't top quality until we took a punt on them.
Bradley should have been good given his experience and success at international level and being appreciated for improving the French team he was with. Not at all right for us but given his resume not a ridiculous choice.
Potter's track record was in improving a relatively unknown Swedish team (even in Sweden Östersunds was obscure) and was brought in to do the same for us. He hasn't managed a 'ready made' club as yet and it will be interesting to see how he copes.
Other than Clements, who initially did a good job for us, other managers were very highly regarded.
Even as a 3rd level side Roberto's appointment was not popular at first, nor was Sousa, nor was Rodgers.
Carvalhal and Guidolin are both very good managers. Guidolin was shafted but IMO was getting us back on track.

The most important element that the next manager will bring is a philosophy that continues where Potter left of.

But falling apart?
Perspective, perspective.

the Managers that worked best were on the upward curve, as we hit the downwards curve the appointments have already been more hit and miss.

It's easier for someone to come in and change things around in a positive environment, ( Brendon, Sousa and Laudrup) it will be even harder now we are in serious decline.

like Potter, this next appointment is massively important and will determine the next five years, if we get this wrong it could really fall apart!
[Post edited 20 May 2019 11:20]
The Club is falling apart at the seams on 11:51 - May 20 with 1566 viewsPozuelosSideys

The next managerial appointment is absolutely key to our future success. Who gets put in the role will tell us exactly what goes on in the mind of Birch and how he sees our club.

In the past, Jenkins made some excellent appointments. Flynn, Jackett, Martinez, Sousa, Rodgers and Laudrup were all excellent and added something. (yes i know it went tits up after that).

My biggest concern is that Birch is a dinosaur and ends up going for somebody like Coleman because hes of an oldschool mindset which will do nothing other than take us backwards and turn us into any other club.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 11:51 - May 20 with 1566 viewsAngelRangelQS

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 10:33 - May 20 by swancity

That’s because you possibly don’t understand how things work at a football Club

The structure of a club in terms of ownership and how they decide to run it is paramount. And what are their objectives and motives ?

You buy a football club for many different reasons. Our owners see it as a way to make a profit, and a relatively quick one, it’s an investment ..no more no less.

They are not the owners this club needed that’s for sure and Jenkins can take all of the blame just as he was quick to take all the credit previously. It’s a shambles. As it stands the club is on the verge of doing a Coventry or Blackpool or Portsmouth. This has nothing to do with a manager or a star player leaving. The ramifications are far wider and more serious.

I hope that the Trust can at last make some progress with the legal case against the previous owners. That seems to have again all gone quiet. With no adequate explanation.

What a mess.

I understand perfectly well how things work.

Give me one reason why, other than being financially motivated, someone would want to own the Swans or any club of our size and status?

At the very best you may get someone who wants to spend a packet and “flip” us but that is one hell of a risky strategy for any owners given the injection of cash that would be required and where does it leave the club if and when things go wrong?
The Club is falling apart at the seams on 12:08 - May 20 with 1496 viewsLeonWasGod

Fair point. I'm equally worried tbh, just hoping/praying that they do make a successful appointment. I've always viewed this summer as a key point when we could go either way. Keep the squad together (including Potter) and we could have built on this year, even with Dan going. Break this team up and we could very much be in trouble. Potter going isn't a good start! If I was a betting man, I'd have a few bob on us going down next season as things stand.
The Club is falling apart at the seams on 12:15 - May 20 with 1465 viewsLeonWasGod

Ownership is key. Never mind that our current owners haven't got a pot to piss in, they also seem to feck everything up that they touch. It's all gone wrong since they came in.
The Club is falling apart at the seams on 12:17 - May 20 with 1455 viewsswancity

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 11:51 - May 20 by AngelRangelQS

I understand perfectly well how things work.

Give me one reason why, other than being financially motivated, someone would want to own the Swans or any club of our size and status?

At the very best you may get someone who wants to spend a packet and “flip” us but that is one hell of a risky strategy for any owners given the injection of cash that would be required and where does it leave the club if and when things go wrong?

But you don’t

Lots of good valid reasons why

But it’ll need an injection of cash to allow it to compete properly again. Speculate to accumulate approach but whether we have local people with the sort of money needed is debateable. We aren’t the basket case (yet) that Bolton are for instance but it’s a slippery slope...

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 12:21 - May 20 with 1440 viewsjasper_T

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 12:15 - May 20 by LeonWasGod

Ownership is key. Never mind that our current owners haven't got a pot to piss in, they also seem to feck everything up that they touch. It's all gone wrong since they came in.

They've got money they just don't want to put it into Swansea City.

DC United have seen big investment in the last season or so, after they took over 100% control. Marquee players, new stadium etc.
The Club is falling apart at the seams on 12:26 - May 20 with 1402 viewsPozuelosSideys

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 12:17 - May 20 by swancity

But you don’t

Lots of good valid reasons why

But it’ll need an injection of cash to allow it to compete properly again. Speculate to accumulate approach but whether we have local people with the sort of money needed is debateable. We aren’t the basket case (yet) that Bolton are for instance but it’s a slippery slope...

I think its possibly you that doesnt understand. The club doesnt need the cash injection per se. The club needs to run itself and balance the books without any external injection of funding. We did so before we got to the PL and we need to do so now.

Youve used Bolton as the example - you may want to go and dig into their history about how they have ended up in this position.. they had a financial backer in the early 00's (when they had Allardyce and great players like JJ Okocha etc) which threw money at the club and created a lot of private debt which the owners family wouldnt cover. They couldnt afford the contracts of the players, income dropped off dramatically and then they started missing payments to HMRC.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 12:33 - May 20 with 1364 viewsswancity

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 12:26 - May 20 by PozuelosSideys

I think its possibly you that doesnt understand. The club doesnt need the cash injection per se. The club needs to run itself and balance the books without any external injection of funding. We did so before we got to the PL and we need to do so now.

Youve used Bolton as the example - you may want to go and dig into their history about how they have ended up in this position.. they had a financial backer in the early 00's (when they had Allardyce and great players like JJ Okocha etc) which threw money at the club and created a lot of private debt which the owners family wouldnt cover. They couldnt afford the contracts of the players, income dropped off dramatically and then they started missing payments to HMRC.

The Club will need it (cash injection) to prosper and flourish and to prevent the current approach and policy which is to cash in on our best players

And yes agreed re Bolton that’s what happened but also their recent/current owner has to take much of the blame. He’s a crook and a fraud it seems. There’s loads of them out there...

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 12:39 - May 20 with 1324 viewsPozuelosSideys

The Club is falling apart at the seams on 12:33 - May 20 by swancity

The Club will need it (cash injection) to prosper and flourish and to prevent the current approach and policy which is to cash in on our best players

And yes agreed re Bolton that’s what happened but also their recent/current owner has to take much of the blame. He’s a crook and a fraud it seems. There’s loads of them out there...

Dont you remember what happened the last time we were in this division? Almost every week we all sat here and laughed at all the other clubs and all the pundits and all the media who had us down as fodder because we hadnt spent gazillions on players. Instead we brought in freebies and the odd signing for a couple of 100k. What happened next?Oh yes, we mugged them all off and made them look stupid. Money doesnt win you football matches. The correct players in the correct position who know what they are doing whilst in a tactical system which is effective for them as a TEAM.

We are a championship club. Every club in teh world is a selling club. The challenge is to buy low, sell high. Thats the way to get out of this league. Carrying big piles of debt around is not the way forward.

That said, there does have to be the occasional carrot with the majority stick and in my experience, American investment people eat all the carrots and then slap you around 24/7/365 with that stick.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024