Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Manager update 20:40 - Jun 3 with 22929 viewsHeadmaster

Toshack, Poyet, and Appleton included in a 6-man shortlist that is yet to be finalised. Mellon and Flynn are out. Henry and Kollner unlikely.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48498757

An uninspiring list to say the least. Preferences?
[Post edited 3 Jun 2019 20:41]
Manager update on 10:40 - Jun 5 with 3648 viewsBadlands

Manager update on 07:34 - Jun 5 by 34dfgdf54

I thought Britton was part of the cartel which forced him out?

I always understood it was Monk, Brits and Tate.
The same group that thought they ruled the roost when Sousa arrived and put their noses out by sorting out the defence.

Have to say of the names being put forward I'm thinking. 'Who will take over in November?'

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Manager update on 10:45 - Jun 5 with 3615 viewsJacket

Manager update on 06:48 - Jun 5 by Brynmill_Jack

Complete blind optimism! I stuck a couple of quid on Laudrup at 80/1

Blind optimism is the best kind of optimism, because you kind of know it's not going to happen, so you don't get too upset when it turns out that Appleton is the new manager, and then you can get blindly optimistic about the prospects under him.
Manager update on 10:46 - Jun 5 with 3612 viewsBytholWyn

Manager update on 10:36 - Jun 5 by KGriz16

how the f*ck can someone with so many failures on their CV like Poyet be considered?

And a loose cannon as well. This does not bode at all well, that we have such poor candidates being shortlisted.

If you look at Appleton's managerial record it's not at all impressive. Decent at Oxford 1.61 points per game) but otherwise not good - 1.17ppg at Blackpool being the best of the rest. Perhaps there were extenuating circumstances, as with Rodgers at Reading (where he inherited a squad schooled in a totally different brand of football). But Rodgers did have a good spell at Championship level with Watford prior to that.

Why aren't we being linked with Hjulmand? Are we not aware of him? Has he turned us down? Are we only interested in managers who have shown an active interest? Are we that proud?

The worry is that there are managers out there (perhaps Hjulmand) who would be well suited to our club - but who've concluded that we're too much of a basket case to take on.
Manager update on 10:50 - Jun 5 with 3587 viewsandypitt56

Manager update on 10:46 - Jun 5 by BytholWyn

And a loose cannon as well. This does not bode at all well, that we have such poor candidates being shortlisted.

If you look at Appleton's managerial record it's not at all impressive. Decent at Oxford 1.61 points per game) but otherwise not good - 1.17ppg at Blackpool being the best of the rest. Perhaps there were extenuating circumstances, as with Rodgers at Reading (where he inherited a squad schooled in a totally different brand of football). But Rodgers did have a good spell at Championship level with Watford prior to that.

Why aren't we being linked with Hjulmand? Are we not aware of him? Has he turned us down? Are we only interested in managers who have shown an active interest? Are we that proud?

The worry is that there are managers out there (perhaps Hjulmand) who would be well suited to our club - but who've concluded that we're too much of a basket case to take on.

Think it proves how far we have fallen to be honest. Still I have faith that Birch, Britts and Curt will make the right choice. I will back whoever they appoint!
Manager update on 10:55 - Jun 5 with 3532 viewsChief

Albert Stuivenburg? Wales assistant manager.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Manager update on 11:07 - Jun 5 with 3462 viewsAlfieMooresSon

Fracking delays again, while other teams are lining up the best players, we can't even get a fracking Manager, when will they ever learn, this cost us last year and will cost us again, stop fracking about and appoint someone!
[Post edited 5 Jun 2019 11:08]
Manager update on 11:09 - Jun 5 with 3454 viewsChief

Manager update on 11:07 - Jun 5 by AlfieMooresSon

Fracking delays again, while other teams are lining up the best players, we can't even get a fracking Manager, when will they ever learn, this cost us last year and will cost us again, stop fracking about and appoint someone!

Who else is appointing managers?

Manager update on 11:14 - Jun 5 with 3427 viewsandypitt56

West brom still haven't got a manager and they got rid of theirs halfway through the season.
Login to get fewer ads

Manager update on 11:18 - Jun 5 with 3396 viewsSwansea93

Manager update on 11:14 - Jun 5 by andypitt56

West brom still haven't got a manager and they got rid of theirs halfway through the season.

Slaven Bilic taking over West Brom according to reports.

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

Manager update on 11:18 - Jun 5 with 3396 viewsJacket

Manager update on 10:55 - Jun 5 by Chief

Albert Stuivenburg? Wales assistant manager.

Only one stint as senior manager, with Genk in Belgium. 14 wins from 20 in 2016/17 but ten of those matches were against bottom half clubs only (they have a similar system to Welsh Premier League where they split half way through the season). In 2017/18 only five wins in 18 and duly sacked.
Manager update on 11:21 - Jun 5 with 3374 viewsChief

Manager update on 11:18 - Jun 5 by Jacket

Only one stint as senior manager, with Genk in Belgium. 14 wins from 20 in 2016/17 but ten of those matches were against bottom half clubs only (they have a similar system to Welsh Premier League where they split half way through the season). In 2017/18 only five wins in 18 and duly sacked.

Yea certainly wouldn't be my choice but journo Stuart James has mentioned him as a contender today

Manager update on 11:22 - Jun 5 with 3370 viewsKGriz16

It's very underwhelming to be honest. But, I like to think of us as a club who gives players and managers a second chance. Or at least a chance, e.g. Brendan Rogers. Whomever gets the role, gets my backing and support. However, I fear players are less motivated than me when it comes to backing managers. We'll see from here.
Manager update on 11:34 - Jun 5 with 3305 viewsSwansea93

Do people forget that Brendan was our 4th choice when he got the job?

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

Manager update on 11:41 - Jun 5 with 3272 viewsJacket

Manager update on 11:34 - Jun 5 by Swansea93

In which case, why don't they list them in order of preference and then go for their 4th choice?!
Manager update on 11:46 - Jun 5 with 3238 viewsNeath_Jack

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Manager update on 12:01 - Jun 5 with 3157 viewsjack247

I wouldn’t be overly concerned about missing out on the ‘best players’ while we wait for a manager
Manager update on 12:14 - Jun 5 with 3103 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Fracking is very controversial so delays are inevitable. Fracking managers are very low profile due to the controversy. It is possible that digging up the pitch is just a front for the fracking but as it’s a small area they will probably stop fracking about soon.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Manager update on 13:41 - Jun 5 with 2781 views34dfgdf54

Manager update on 11:21 - Jun 5 by Chief

Yea certainly wouldn't be my choice but journo Stuart James has mentioned him as a contender today

Worked well when Cardiff took Trollope.
Manager update on 14:13 - Jun 5 with 2671 viewsBadlands

Far less of a basket case than most in the Championship.
We have always had difficulty attracting managers and players.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Manager update on 14:52 - Jun 5 with 2512 viewsmonmouth

Manager update on 14:13 - Jun 5 by Badlands

Far less of a basket case than most in the Championship.
We have always had difficulty attracting managers and players.

People that say they can't get good people for love nor money have never tried money.

I'm not sure what a good manager is for us at the moment anyway. I was bored almost beyond redemption by Sousa, but by God he was necessary. Much as I was heartbroken at the time, and thought we would improve further, given that he never managed to sort out a defence, in hindsight I reckon Martinez would have failed to improve us.

So who knows what's for the best. Just got to back whatever punt we take. I'd trust something with Leon and Curt involved more than another spin of Gonzo's Conk, but it's still always a leap of faith as you don't know what you are getting until you get it. Often not even then. There was widespread bile on here after Laudrup's three successive defeats in early 2012/13 (possibly from me too), especially after Everton totally caned us in the last at the Lib. If we hadn't scraped past Martinez's Wiggy in the next match, it could have gone very badly.

So no moaning from me. They will do their best with what they have attracted on our budget I'm sure, and we are where we are, and we are what we are. We were a good proposition when we were forced to take Rodgers, and he was desperate! Just trust to luck.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2019 14:54]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Manager update on 16:03 - Jun 5 with 2259 viewsAngelRangelQS

Whats so great about that Hjulmand fella? Genuine question
Manager update on 16:24 - Jun 5 with 2180 viewsbluey_the_blue

Manager update on 13:41 - Jun 5 by 34dfgdf54

Worked well when Cardiff took Trollope.

Yeah, I remember his "Oooh let's play 5-3-2 like Wales did, it'll be ok, don't need Allen, Bale, Ramsey...".

Trollope's one of those who are good coaches but useless when managing.
Manager update on 16:43 - Jun 5 with 2106 viewsBytholWyn

Manager update on 16:03 - Jun 5 by AngelRangelQS

Whats so great about that Hjulmand fella? Genuine question

Based on what the Danish poster has contributed on the matter, and what I've seen he ticks many of the boxes. He took Nordsjælland to their one and only Danish title - a small club by Danish standards. His teams play a possession-based, short passing and attacking (prefers 3-4-3 or 4-3-3) brand of football. He also has a reputation for bringing young talent through - all positives. He had an unsuccessful stint at Mainz (Klopp's old team), but his record there wasn't that bad (5W - 11D - 8D) for one of Bundesliga's minnows. He subsequently returned to Nordsjælland, where's he continued to do well.

He was wanted by Anderlecht earlier this season - but Nordsjælland weren't willing to let him go without compensation, so he stayed - but it would seem that has led to his subsequent departure ("by mutual consent") on 25th March this year, rather than the team's performance. So, he's currently unattached - which is a big plus point.

This article gives some insight: http://bundesligafanatic.com/20140516/a-closer-look-at-the-coaching-style-of-mai Any available manager described in this manner should be on our radar: "Hjulmand has done so by implementing a playing style with a high focus on possession and short passes, leading his FC Nordsjælland side to be named a mini-Barcelona by some observers."

Hjulmand has worked closely with Morten Wieghorst - who was Laudrup's deputy in his second season. So, there are already links there with Swansea.

Hjulmand may not be the right man for the job, but he's the sort of manager we should be interviewing at the very least, given that he seems to tick so many boxes. Perhaps he has been contacted but doesn't want the job. If so, I wonder why?
Manager update on 17:03 - Jun 5 with 2026 viewsZaxx

In Trevor we trust?

As long as it's not "tell 'em Trevor sent you"...

Manager update on 17:31 - Jun 5 with 1888 viewsBillyChong

Manager update on 11:34 - Jun 5 by Swansea93

Was he? I can’t remember that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024