Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers 09:44 - Jun 11 with 8017 viewsdickythorpe

League 2 is

We could be badly exposed next season.

Why are we seriously considering this under 17/academy coach?

"On the cheap" option I feel.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2019 9:45]
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 09:46 - Jun 11 with 3485 viewsandypitt56

We have appointed plenty of "untried" managers, our most successful appointments have been the left field choice. I don't understand the negativity?
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 09:49 - Jun 11 with 3462 viewsdickythorpe

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 09:46 - Jun 11 by andypitt56

We have appointed plenty of "untried" managers, our most successful appointments have been the left field choice. I don't understand the negativity?

It's a disaster waiting to happen. Sorry but I think we are s bigger club than this.
If we were league 2 I'd be ok with it.
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 09:56 - Jun 11 with 3430 viewsnantywatcher

Bloody hell - why didn't Birch,Leon and Curts think about that - it seems so obvious when you point it out.
(Give me strength)
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 09:57 - Jun 11 with 3426 viewsdickythorpe

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 09:56 - Jun 11 by nantywatcher

Bloody hell - why didn't Birch,Leon and Curts think about that - it seems so obvious when you point it out.
(Give me strength)

Christ look at the sheep!!!
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 10:02 - Jun 11 with 3414 viewssainthelens

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 09:46 - Jun 11 by andypitt56

If you are talking about Brenda/the Waiter, then there is a world of difference in the background they had to what this fella has.
I'd argue Bobbly had better credentials than Cooper.
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 10:14 - Jun 11 with 3369 viewsjack247

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 10:02 - Jun 11 by sainthelens

If you are talking about Brenda/the Waiter, then there is a world of difference in the background they had to what this fella has.
I'd argue Bobbly had better credentials than Cooper.

Bradley had 30 years of mediocrity behind him. He had clearly found his level.

I can understand the argument about Martinez starting in league one, but what managerial background did he have?
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 10:59 - Jun 11 with 3293 viewsdameedna

Yes it is
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 13:18 - Jun 11 with 3043 viewsBadlands

A mixture of thinking we are a huge club and TBH the bloke himself.
Anyone who has worked with kids (even the best in the country) are still working with kids and that takes a very special type of person, Not lesser but very different. Cooper comes across as an overbearing PE teacher (most of us have had them) as did Bradley.
I would love be proven wrong.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Login to get fewer ads

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 13:30 - Jun 11 with 3006 viewsAlfieMooresSon

Just because some untired Managers have worked in the past, it doesn't mean that's the best approach, statistically, it's bound to fail more than proven Managers!

I can see the logic behind it, but I don't think it will work, we are not trying to improve or go up, it looks like we are just trying to stabilise on the cheap, and with the money being reduced how are we going to keep attracting the best young talent?
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 13:34 - Jun 11 with 2988 viewsAngelRangelQS

To me this appears to be them going for a manager with the biggest potential "up side"

None of the names mentioned were particularly inspiring. Maybe they feel this guy can do the business for us and attract some decent young players or alert us to a couple who may have lost their way a bit. His assistant has been around a bit and so should add something too.

Some of the others mentioned may have been a less risky appointment but they were hardly likely to set the world on fire either.
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 13:44 - Jun 11 with 2945 viewsmarchamjack

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 13:30 - Jun 11 by AlfieMooresSon

Just because some untired Managers have worked in the past, it doesn't mean that's the best approach, statistically, it's bound to fail more than proven Managers!

I can see the logic behind it, but I don't think it will work, we are not trying to improve or go up, it looks like we are just trying to stabilise on the cheap, and with the money being reduced how are we going to keep attracting the best young talent?

The ‘proven’ managers we were linked with were all unemployed...having failed...much rather give Cooper a go than another run of the mill manager off the merry go round

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 13:45 - Jun 11 with 2939 viewsjack247

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 13:30 - Jun 11 by AlfieMooresSon

We weren’t going to attract a ‘proven’ manager though, unless we’re talking the kind of steady Eddie who has plodded along in the lower leagues without really achieving much.

We know we aren’t going to be competitive in the transfer market, so I can see the logic in appointing someone used to dealing with younger players and implementing a playing style.

It’s not as if I don’t have my concerns about him, but I’d rather that than the feeling of resignation I’d get if we employed a league one managerial journeyman.
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 13:50 - Jun 11 with 2926 viewsAustinIsOurHero

Seeing as we'll more than likely be going down the Derby route of relying on loans, then his potential contacts at premier league clubs, as well as working with some of the best young players in the country would have been a factor.
I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Poll: How many points will be get from the next two games?

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 13:57 - Jun 11 with 2902 viewssdh1412

Perhaps if he is appointed his title will be First Team Coach and not manager. That way he has no or little say in recruitment and is asked to work with the 'young' tools at his disposal.

That would make more sense than hanging a Managers tag round his neck.
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 15:25 - Jun 11 with 2796 viewsSwanseaman

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 13:50 - Jun 11 by AustinIsOurHero

Seeing as we'll more than likely be going down the Derby route of relying on loans, then his potential contacts at premier league clubs, as well as working with some of the best young players in the country would have been a factor.
I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Good points, there must be some of the 2017 world cup players that we could get in on loan.

It could be that during the interviews, prospective managers were told that they wouldn't be getting much funding for new players, and the best reaction may have come from Cooper, he may have assured them that he would be able to get some very talented youngsters in.

Also considering our training academy, with Cooper as manager, we would be well up there for a great place to loan out youngsters to.

He would no doubt have potential targets who have the ability, but who are unproven so could be bought relatively cheaply. Train them up, and eventually they could be worth a lot more than we paid = good business.

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 20:45 - Jun 11 with 2666 viewsdickythorpe

Christ almighty!!! We'll be lambs to the slaughter in every game!!!!
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 20:47 - Jun 11 with 2652 viewsjack247

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 20:45 - Jun 11 by dickythorpe

Christ almighty!!! We'll be lambs to the slaughter in every game!!!!

A lot of people (including me) thought that this time last year.
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 20:48 - Jun 11 with 2646 viewsdickythorpe

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 20:47 - Jun 11 by jack247

A lot of people (including me) thought that this time last year.

We are worse off this time this year than this time last year, trust me!!!!
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 20:59 - Jun 11 with 2622 viewsjack2jack

He's going to be given his chance if it goes well great, if it goes t!ts up we'll be looking for a new manager before Christmas, and so it continues, it's how we roll.
Now unless this chap is a genius who can quickly spot young talent, and get them up to speed in The Championship, otherwise it could backfire pretty quickly.
It seems there is no money to bring in a bit of quality and experience.
For me it's a big gamble only time will tell.
We all know that sometimes a great interview, does not always translate into a great employee, as I say time will tell. TBH we have no idea whether he's the next Guidiola or the next Brad Bobbly.
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 21:14 - Jun 11 with 2578 viewsSwanseaman

We need some experienced players, I would stick to mid 20's at the maximum myself.

I've read one article about potential signings to replace daniel james, obviously the reported hadn't done his homework, all 3 recommendations were over 30

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-free-agents-that-could-help-fill-the-dan-jam

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 21:19 - Jun 11 with 2569 viewsswan_si

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 20:48 - Jun 11 by dickythorpe

Are you sponsered by Gillette? Very depressing attitude Dicky, smile, you'll live longer mate.
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 21:21 - Jun 11 with 2557 viewsderijack

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 20:48 - Jun 11 by dickythorpe

Are we?

Roberts, mcburnie, Byers, Rodon all doing well. 15 mill in the bank from James. A couple of million from potter and co.

A few more higher earners off the books. Hopefully more to come.

Celina, McKay, John, dhanda looking solid (in varying levels)

Grimes looking quality.

Vdh leading well.

Get a keeper in, offload the ayews and baston and see what we can add.

And since when is under 17s and St. George’s Park inexperienced? Would England trust their 17 year olds with anyone?

And no I’m not a sheep. I was very worried last year. A lot less so this.

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 22:39 - Jun 11 with 2440 viewsjackrmee

What "proven managers" are we going to attract? And pay enough?

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 22:47 - Jun 11 with 2417 viewsjackrmee

How do you work that out? We were flogging all our payers last year and had to try a load of new kids with a new manager and new tactics and new playing style.
This year we will be accustomed to our style and our players. New manager will just fit into that.
We also have a better chairman, with 2 strong and trustworthy leuitenants in Curt and Leon, with a recruitment guy here soon too.

We are so much better off this year with our finances looking a little clearer and many high earners off the books. A few more to go and we should be good to go.
Mid table finish this year and beat the scum a couple of times and I'll be well fuking happy. Keep hold of the manager and start to push on from there.
It's all about moving forward and I believe we will.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 22:50 - Jun 11 with 2413 viewsGlyn1

I'm just praying that we get an easy opening run of fixtures at the start of the season to build up confidence in our young players - yes, I know there are "no easy games in the Championship" but actually there are.

Are the fixtures out in a couple of weeks time?
[Post edited 11 Jun 2019 22:51]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024