Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread 16:38 - Jan 28 with 28941 viewsjackharris

[Post edited 1 Feb 2020 14:05]

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 18:34 - Feb 1 with 2567 viewsjackrmee

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 18:31 - Feb 1 by SgorioFruit

Experimenting? In February?
The mind boggles.
I'm not disagreeing, I too think he is experimenting. He has had enough time by now though. Same as Potter last season, you didn't know who was going to play each week with him.
Find your best 11 and play them, only rotate for fatigue, and cup games.

Who says he doesn't think Guehi is next in line after VDH and Joe? Why would he play Wilmot, or Cabango if he thinks Guehi is better? Where else has he rotated? I would argue that he hasn't even rotated or experimented in CB. He chose the best 2 available. The best XI available, even.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 18:45 - Feb 1 with 2511 viewsperplex

Starting to drop off the play off places, but to be honest I`m very surprised we are still hanging in there, Coopers tinkering is getting worse with different players in and out every game, a settled side is certainly not in his mind set is it, hope it all does not backfire drastically.
The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 19:40 - Feb 1 with 2358 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Cooper's game management is not improving.
Somebody needs to have a word.
The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 19:52 - Feb 1 with 2329 viewsOneill_77

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 17:20 - Feb 1 by thornabyswan

We needed and still need a holding midfielder.

Grimes snd Byers dont cut it together.

We let Nordfelt Pieterson John Harries Carrol Baston and Evans go.

Surely we could have got a player in.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2020 17:23]

Intriguing one, the CDM role in modern-day setups.

The typical holding midfielder is evolving into something more dynamic. Many of the top teams (Prem and beyond) rarely deploy a simplistic holding role.

In this division Sawyers (West Brom) and Phillips (Leeds) are highly dynamic, driving, creative focal points - the focal point is way further forward and roaming than the traditional holding role. CBs are looking to fill the space behind. Wilmot, Rodon, Guehi are all capable of occupying this space.

It seems Cooper and the coaching team (including Leon ofc) recognise this and are looking to evolve, which is commendable.
The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 20:18 - Feb 1 with 2264 viewsZaxx

Really good to see Joe back today, very impressive considering his long lay off.
Byers and Celina flattering to deceive as usual.
Play Andre at 10, Gally as box to box and fill the spaces within. Routs will sort out the left, just need to get a winger in on the right. Garrick fit yet?
The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 20:25 - Feb 1 with 2251 viewsjack247

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 18:31 - Feb 1 by SgorioFruit

Experimenting? In February?
The mind boggles.
I'm not disagreeing, I too think he is experimenting. He has had enough time by now though. Same as Potter last season, you didn't know who was going to play each week with him.
Find your best 11 and play them, only rotate for fatigue, and cup games.

Brewster and Guéhi have been here for three weeks, Gallagher has been here for two. One of our first choice centre back pairing (at the beginning of the season) has just come back from injury, the other is stil injured.

Grimes and Ayew start every game, Celina and Byers aren’t far behind them, none of them chop and change positions. The three fullbacks do get rotated.

There’s plenty of things you can validly criticise Cooper for. Not having a settled starting eleven the day after the transfer window (in which we brought in three of todays starters) isn’t one of them.
The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 20:26 - Feb 1 with 2247 viewsjasper_T

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 19:52 - Feb 1 by Oneill_77

Intriguing one, the CDM role in modern-day setups.

The typical holding midfielder is evolving into something more dynamic. Many of the top teams (Prem and beyond) rarely deploy a simplistic holding role.

In this division Sawyers (West Brom) and Phillips (Leeds) are highly dynamic, driving, creative focal points - the focal point is way further forward and roaming than the traditional holding role. CBs are looking to fill the space behind. Wilmot, Rodon, Guehi are all capable of occupying this space.

It seems Cooper and the coaching team (including Leon ofc) recognise this and are looking to evolve, which is commendable.

Not sure I would consider Kalvin Phillips as being "further forward" than a traditional holding midfielder. Does his work from the base of their midfield, sticking closer to the centre halves than forward players and covering the full backs when they go on their travels.
The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 20:40 - Feb 1 with 2227 viewsDr_Winston

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 17:30 - Feb 1 by oldcob

Byers is either not fit or not interested. If not fit, why not? If not interested, he shouldn't be wearing the shirt. A player of undoubted talent, who, for some reason never gives 100% for ninety minutes, he just floats in and out of the game. Frustrating.

I probably let my enthusiasm overrule my judgement when I declared myself "cautiously optimistic" about Byer's new deal because since then he's mostly been complete shite.

Far from being undoubtedly talented, it's becoming increasingly difficult to ascertain what he's actually good at. He's got a decent shot on him I suppose, but he's utterly wanting in every other aspect of midfield play.

Can't pass. Can't dribble. Can't tackle much. Will probably be playing for Leyton Orient in a couple of years.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 21:03 - Feb 1 with 2158 viewsploppy

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 20:25 - Feb 1 by jack247

Brewster and Guéhi have been here for three weeks, Gallagher has been here for two. One of our first choice centre back pairing (at the beginning of the season) has just come back from injury, the other is stil injured.

Grimes and Ayew start every game, Celina and Byers aren’t far behind them, none of them chop and change positions. The three fullbacks do get rotated.

There’s plenty of things you can validly criticise Cooper for. Not having a settled starting eleven the day after the transfer window (in which we brought in three of todays starters) isn’t one of them.

Absolutely. Most of the chopping and changing recently has been due to injuries. Routledge and Dyer make an appearance every now and then, until they remind him they're really not up to it anymore.

In fact, some players have needed dropping - Celina, for one, who has one good game in ten.
The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 21:25 - Feb 1 with 2107 viewsOneill_77

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 20:26 - Feb 1 by jasper_T

Not sure I would consider Kalvin Phillips as being "further forward" than a traditional holding midfielder. Does his work from the base of their midfield, sticking closer to the centre halves than forward players and covering the full backs when they go on their travels.

You're right about Phillips yet his athleticism allows him to bomb on. Admittedly he isn't the best example currently in our league, whereas Sawyers is.

The point wasn't about Phillips. It is about us and how we are are looking to develop under a progressive yet rookie coaching team. Fortunately Leon and Birch see this, and actively support it.
The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 23:05 - Feb 1 with 1941 viewsjasper_T

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 21:25 - Feb 1 by Oneill_77

You're right about Phillips yet his athleticism allows him to bomb on. Admittedly he isn't the best example currently in our league, whereas Sawyers is.

The point wasn't about Phillips. It is about us and how we are are looking to develop under a progressive yet rookie coaching team. Fortunately Leon and Birch see this, and actively support it.

What does "progressive" mean in this context?
The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 03:45 - Feb 2 with 1749 viewsGlyn1

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 18:07 - Feb 1 by Swansea93

We haven't lost at home since November, what's your point?

We've got more of an advantage playing our next 2 games at home.

We haven't won many of them either. Since the beginning of October we've taken 14 points from a possible 30 in our home matches, which is abysmal.

But a point away at Preston is a good result.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 10:24 - Feb 2 with 1495 viewsTimTtam

A point away from home against a top-half team is always a good result.

I'm guessing Roberts was injured and that's why Bidwell started. If so, that's fine. I'm also guessing that Wilmot is still recovering from his "more than a niggle" that me most likely had (mentioned in the fan forum). If so, it's fine that Guehi started. Cabango having a week off is a good thing given that he's still young.

Like every week, timing and choice of the subs is once again an issue. Cooper says that the team always plays to win, yet his subs are designed to hang on to draws or 1-0 leads. Our first sub was at 80', and it was Fulton. Our next and final sub was at 88', giving Cullen only a few minutes.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 18:53 - Feb 2 with 1278 viewsperplex

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 10:24 - Feb 2 by TimTtam

A point away from home against a top-half team is always a good result.

I'm guessing Roberts was injured and that's why Bidwell started. If so, that's fine. I'm also guessing that Wilmot is still recovering from his "more than a niggle" that me most likely had (mentioned in the fan forum). If so, it's fine that Guehi started. Cabango having a week off is a good thing given that he's still young.

Like every week, timing and choice of the subs is once again an issue. Cooper says that the team always plays to win, yet his subs are designed to hang on to draws or 1-0 leads. Our first sub was at 80', and it was Fulton. Our next and final sub was at 88', giving Cullen only a few minutes.

And one point or no points at home against teams near the bottom are not good results.
The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 19:19 - Feb 2 with 1255 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 20:40 - Feb 1 by Dr_Winston

I probably let my enthusiasm overrule my judgement when I declared myself "cautiously optimistic" about Byer's new deal because since then he's mostly been complete shite.

Far from being undoubtedly talented, it's becoming increasingly difficult to ascertain what he's actually good at. He's got a decent shot on him I suppose, but he's utterly wanting in every other aspect of midfield play.

Can't pass. Can't dribble. Can't tackle much. Will probably be playing for Leyton Orient in a couple of years.

Byers was a better all round footballer when he played for the 23s.
The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 19:44 - Feb 2 with 1230 viewsFlashberryjack

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 20:40 - Feb 1 by Dr_Winston

And doesn't look the fittest either.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 21:05 - Feb 2 with 1197 viewsDr_Winston

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 19:44 - Feb 2 by Flashberryjack

And doesn't look the fittest either.

I don't think it's a lack of fitness, just a lack of quality.

Fulton ain't great, but if he had played as consistently badly as Byers has I could understand him being largely kept out of the starting lineup. At the moment we have two almost total non-contributors starting regularly in Grimes and Byers and they seem almost untouchable in the team.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 21:23 - Feb 2 with 1175 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 21:05 - Feb 2 by Dr_Winston

Fulton ain't great, but if he had played as consistently badly as Byers has I could understand him being largely kept out of the starting lineup. At the moment we have two almost total non-contributors starting regularly in Grimes and Byers and they seem almost untouchable in the team.

He’s probably been cheeky to Cooper

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 21:32 - Feb 2 with 1169 viewsjasper_T

The Official PNE v Swansea City Match Thread on 21:05 - Feb 2 by Dr_Winston

Surely no mystery why Fulton can't keep his place in the side whenever a new manager gives him a run of games. Simply not good enough, never has been.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024