Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corona virus 11:22 - Feb 25 with 8907 viewslonglostjack

How long before games get cancelled if the situation worsens? Could get a bit chaotic in determining promotion and relegation if there are too many.

Edit: Unless they play in empty stadiums Iike they do in Cardiff I suppose.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 11:33]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Corona virus on 16:44 - Feb 25 with 1789 viewsProfessor

Corona virus on 16:33 - Feb 25 by Cooperman

You don't tell. If you have symptoms and are likely to have been in contact with someone from a hot spot then you alert your local health authority and follow their advice.

Good advice
Corona virus on 16:50 - Feb 25 with 1781 viewsProfessor

Corona virus on 14:02 - Feb 25 by legoman

Hm. Forgive me if I'd prefer to listen to my PhD virologist son rather than someone on Planet Swans.

What does he work on?

Ebola is a different beast-haemorrhagic virus with exceptionally high mortality. Influenza is more of a risk from seasonal human influenza than from animals. The risk with Avian Influenza is a species jump of a High Pathogenicity variant. I would still consider influenza a greater risk of a high mortality pandemic than a coronavirus like the current CoViD19, SARS or MERS (the last of which is poorly transmitted).

Anyway, we won't need to worry about viruses once we get pandemic multi resistant bacteria
[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 16:55]
Corona virus on 17:08 - Feb 25 with 1743 viewslegoman

"What does he work on?"

His thesis was something to do with flu but don't ask me the detail! He currently works for an international charity whose mission is to bring together researchers and government agencies to better deal with threats such as flu, ebola and the like, but there is a wider humanitarian aspect to their work as well.

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

Corona virus on 18:19 - Feb 25 with 1672 viewsFlashberryjack

Corona virus on 16:30 - Feb 25 by Cooperman

I was in Japan week before last and my guess is that at least 60% of the general public were wearing the flimsy face masks that have been referred to above. That aside the local authorities had not done much in terms of lock down of public areas / services and the situation was generally played down. It's not unusual at this time of year to see many Japanese folk wearing a mask, certainly not at 6 in 10 but a fair number none the less. They do this in an attempt to avoid passing on germs rather than for self protection purposes.

Fast forward to this week I am in Italy and it's a completely difference scenario. Milan is like a ghost town, petrol stations closed, schools closed, events cancelled, supermarkets empty of both customers and food. The Italian government has reacted decisively and quickly and the mood is very downbeat.

The problem is now a lot closer to home than it was a week or two back. I'm getting out tomorrow and will probably not return here next week.

Stay put mate...sounds as if you could be carrier.

You're not intending our next home game are you ?

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Corona virus on 18:35 - Feb 25 with 1653 viewsHighjack

Corona virus on 16:33 - Feb 25 by Cooperman

You don't tell. If you have symptoms and are likely to have been in contact with someone from a hot spot then you alert your local health authority and follow their advice.

So if I get the sniffles and have been near an Asian person in the last two weeks I should phone the ambulance?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Corona virus on 18:42 - Feb 25 with 1642 viewsJBT95

Worried that the Euros could be postponed/cancelled etc.
Corona virus on 18:43 - Feb 25 with 1640 viewsGaryjack

Corona virus on 18:35 - Feb 25 by Highjack

So if I get the sniffles and have been near an Asian person in the last two weeks I should phone the ambulance?

No. But you shouldn't drive. You need to get on public transport and go straight to A&E.
Corona virus on 19:02 - Feb 25 with 1611 viewsCatullus

Schools have dlosed already,

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-news-live-uk-italy-outbrea

The W.H.O is advising governments to activate "pre prepared pandemic pans" saying this virus is literally knocking at the door of countries around the world.

It's not time to panic but it is time to get prepared.

Hey Professor, regarding your post about antibiotic resistant pandemics, have you seen this?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/11/191121134519.htm

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Login to get fewer ads

Corona virus on 19:11 - Feb 25 with 1597 viewssainthelens

Corona virus on 12:53 - Feb 25 by Neath_Jack

P3 masks will offer protection, but the wearer would need to be face fit tested on the model of mask worn, and would need to be clean shaven.

My ex mother in law has a hairy mole on her face the size of large walnut. Fck knows how she'll manage.
Corona virus on 19:18 - Feb 25 with 1583 viewsHighjack

Corona virus on 18:43 - Feb 25 by Garyjack

No. But you shouldn't drive. You need to get on public transport and go straight to A&E.

Is it ok to carry on sneezing all over everybody I meet?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Corona virus on 19:25 - Feb 25 with 1571 viewsGaryjack

Corona virus on 19:18 - Feb 25 by Highjack

Is it ok to carry on sneezing all over everybody I meet?

Yes, infecting people with the virus will help with their immune system. It's a bit like giving them a flu jab.
Corona virus on 19:41 - Feb 25 with 1540 viewsmajorraglan

Whilst influenza may be responsible for more deaths than Corona Virus (to date), the mortality rate is fluctuating significantly from country to country. In China its currently about 3%, in Iran its up to around 13%, if that mortality rate is replicated in other less developed countries it will be devastating.
Corona virus on 20:11 - Feb 25 with 1496 viewsairedale

Lots of away supporters at Chelsea tonight. I see Herr Flick is in charge of the Bayern team.
Corona virus on 20:38 - Feb 25 with 1472 viewsCooperman

Corona virus on 18:35 - Feb 25 by Highjack

No. You should read this as a starter for ten.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51048366

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Corona virus on 21:56 - Feb 25 with 1404 viewsProfessor

Corona virus on 19:02 - Feb 25 by Catullus

Schools have dlosed already,

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-news-live-uk-italy-outbrea

The W.H.O is advising governments to activate "pre prepared pandemic pans" saying this virus is literally knocking at the door of countries around the world.

It's not time to panic but it is time to get prepared.

Hey Professor, regarding your post about antibiotic resistant pandemics, have you seen this?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/11/191121134519.htm

Going from a promising finding to a workable therapeutic is a big challenge which needs (largely absent) industrial backing.

WW2 was a big driver in turning Fleming’s mould into a therapeutic by Chain and Florey
Corona virus on 21:58 - Feb 25 with 1400 viewsProfessor

Corona virus on 19:41 - Feb 25 by majorraglan

Whilst influenza may be responsible for more deaths than Corona Virus (to date), the mortality rate is fluctuating significantly from country to country. In China its currently about 3%, in Iran its up to around 13%, if that mortality rate is replicated in other less developed countries it will be devastating.

But also lower in Philippines etc. Not sure how reliable Iran data are
Corona virus on 22:07 - Feb 25 with 1383 viewsThrasher6

Oh for f%cks sake......life has to go on....please stop this ridiculous nonsense,,,,it's so mor£nic that it beggars belief. And do you know why? It's us all being too PC.....scared to do this....scared to do that......THIS WILL BLOW OVER LIKE EVERY OTHER SITUATION.
Example: We had a 55 year old infected....on a cruise ship...everyone went mad.....he returned home and now is 100% healthy...having been certified as having Cornviris.....ffs

So if he was one of the first to get it......at 55...and is now perfectly healthy.....walking around East SUSSEX....
Why the fck are you all getting so het up......

6 months down the line it'll be f&cking history...I'm in the betting industry ...ffs....that's why Trump gets in...that why Boris gets in..that's why people short sell ..we are all thick...and boy...do we show it....

YOU ARE ALL ACTING LIKE DIMWITS.......ITS WHAT THE NARRATIVE IS,,,,,ITS THE MEDIA NARRATIVE.....AND WE MUST ALL FOLLOW IT

THE CITY...WALL ST...... WILL BE CREAMING THEMSELVES...THEY WILL KNOW....THE MASSES WONT.... SELL ON THE DOWNSIDE.....AND THEY'LL BE BUYING ON THE UPSIDE

And the masses will be flapping like morons......lovely
[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 22:38]

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Corona virus on 22:46 - Feb 25 with 1325 viewsProfessor

Corona virus on 22:07 - Feb 25 by Thrasher6

Oh for f%cks sake......life has to go on....please stop this ridiculous nonsense,,,,it's so mor£nic that it beggars belief. And do you know why? It's us all being too PC.....scared to do this....scared to do that......THIS WILL BLOW OVER LIKE EVERY OTHER SITUATION.
Example: We had a 55 year old infected....on a cruise ship...everyone went mad.....he returned home and now is 100% healthy...having been certified as having Cornviris.....ffs

So if he was one of the first to get it......at 55...and is now perfectly healthy.....walking around East SUSSEX....

6 months down the line it'll be f&cking history...I'm in the betting industry ...ffs....that's why Trump gets in...that why Boris gets in..that's why people short sell ..we are all thick...and boy...do we show it....

YOU ARE ALL ACTING LIKE DIMWITS.......ITS WHAT THE NARRATIVE IS,,,,,ITS THE MEDIA NARRATIVE.....AND WE MUST ALL FOLLOW IT

THE CITY...WALL ST...... WILL BE CREAMING THEMSELVES...THEY WILL KNOW....THE MASSES WONT.... SELL ON THE DOWNSIDE.....AND THEY'LL BE BUYING ON THE UPSIDE

Well, a colleague I have known for 20 years has close to 25 years experience of coronavirus research and fully respect suggests this is a different beast to SARS or MERS. Will it kill millions-
Highly unlikely (probably have to wait for a pandemic flu). Will it kill tens or hundreds of thousands- quite possibly. Probably given its relative transmissibility the most important emerging disease this century so far. Something we should take seriously enough to be prepared for as a country or individual. I have asthma, so could well be life threatening for me.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 22:48]
Corona virus on 22:53 - Feb 25 with 1307 viewslifelong

Currently out in Tenerife, it’s going to be an interesting few days.
Corona virus on 23:21 - Feb 25 with 1288 viewsairedale

Corona virus on 22:46 - Feb 25 by Professor

Well, a colleague I have known for 20 years has close to 25 years experience of coronavirus research and fully respect suggests this is a different beast to SARS or MERS. Will it kill millions-
Highly unlikely (probably have to wait for a pandemic flu). Will it kill tens or hundreds of thousands- quite possibly. Probably given its relative transmissibility the most important emerging disease this century so far. Something we should take seriously enough to be prepared for as a country or individual. I have asthma, so could well be life threatening for me.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 22:48]

Asthma, same here. Went down the drug shop yesterday to re-enrol in the budesonide club. Takes 6 months apparently for the low dosage steroid to kick in though, so they say. Time will tell.
Corona virus on 23:24 - Feb 25 with 1279 viewsZaxx

Corona virus on 21:58 - Feb 25 by Professor

But also lower in Philippines etc. Not sure how reliable Iran data are

Duterte, being the dictator he is, closed flights from China down almost immediately.
Dictators can have positive influences after all...

A good Filipino friend of mine said that there was a lot of negative pressure on him to overturn the policy but he wouldn't budge.
Iran have serious issues by the looks of it.
Corona virus on 02:10 - Feb 26 with 1234 viewsNotLoyal

The epi Centre of the outbreak in China has a bacterial testing plant.
Just saying.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Corona virus on 02:38 - Feb 26 with 1228 viewsDJack

Corona virus on 02:10 - Feb 26 by NotLoyal

The epi Centre of the outbreak in China has a bacterial testing plant.
Just saying.

Aye, because after the last Sars outbreak they realised that they needed to prepare for a future novel viral outbreak. They area is situated near the same type of market that was the source of previous type events and it also has a respected Chinese University nearby...

Carry on.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Corona virus on 06:54 - Feb 26 with 1155 viewsSwanjaxs

Calm down dear...

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Corona virus on 07:19 - Feb 26 with 1129 viewsJacket

Corona virus on 12:33 - Feb 25 by legoman

If they are the type that we see on TV footage they really won't do much good. The best folks can do is avoid large congregations of people eg in theatres, public transport etc, keep washing your hands at regular intervals, don't get close to others you don't know and most importantly don't touch your face, especially your eyes and nose. This is the predominant way colds and flu are caught.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 12:48]

What about football stadiums, should we avoid them too?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024