Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corona Virus 22:39 - Mar 7 with 424818 viewsSgorioFruit

Sorry for new thread,
But how bad do you lot reckon it’s going to get here in the UK?
I just been watching the news. Looking nasty in Italy.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Corona Virus on 11:52 - May 7 with 1210 viewschad

Corona Virus on 11:38 - May 7 by jasper_T

You'd think we had New Zealand numbers the way we're gearing up to open things up again. Media doing their very best not to mention that we've got the most deaths in Europe now.

Herd immunity was always the plan, they just realised they couldn't outright say it. Pro-business, pro-death leadership.

Wasn’t Keir, pushing for plans to end lockdown, 3 weeks ago?
Corona Virus on 11:52 - May 7 with 1204 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 11:44 - May 7 by Catullus

How often is taking the mick if you are allowed an unlmiited number?

Where do those told to shield stand here? Are we still shielding for the 12 weeks from the letter because I still have 7 to go.

It's a general plan but we need the details and as we know, Bojo isn't a details person and those around him are hardly much cop either.

Starmer gave him a right going over at their first PMQ's, the politest, gentlest battering but a battering nonetheless.

Those shielding are supposed to shield until specifically told otherwise.

The relaxation on Monday is relatively small. All they’re saying is you can be outside as long as you can stay socially distant and a few extra stores can open (only garden centres from Monday I think?) The issue is the papers are jumping around as though it’s carnival time.

It’s going to lead to complete carnage and an increase in infections again as the press are irresponsible morons.

Ridiculous.
Corona Virus on 11:55 - May 7 with 1194 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 11:52 - May 7 by chad

Wasn’t Keir, pushing for plans to end lockdown, 3 weeks ago?

No. He was pushing to be told the plans for it ending, what would happen and when. He wasn’t pushing for it to happen now or indeed until numbers were down and systems in place (neither of which seems to be the case).

We have the situation now where no plans have been properly outlined and the story has been deliberately leaked, papers have overreacted like irresponsible children and everyone is going to act as though it’s all over.
Corona Virus on 11:57 - May 7 with 1187 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 11:52 - May 7 by londonlisa2001

Those shielding are supposed to shield until specifically told otherwise.

The relaxation on Monday is relatively small. All they’re saying is you can be outside as long as you can stay socially distant and a few extra stores can open (only garden centres from Monday I think?) The issue is the papers are jumping around as though it’s carnival time.

It’s going to lead to complete carnage and an increase in infections again as the press are irresponsible morons.

Ridiculous.

Too early yet and the way the Daily Heil and others are reporting, people will, as you say. think carnival time. Those headlines have killed people already.
Corona Virus on 11:59 - May 7 with 1183 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Corona Virus on 11:44 - May 7 by Catullus

How often is taking the mick if you are allowed an unlmiited number?

Where do those told to shield stand here? Are we still shielding for the 12 weeks from the letter because I still have 7 to go.

It's a general plan but we need the details and as we know, Bojo isn't a details person and those around him are hardly much cop either.

Starmer gave him a right going over at their first PMQ's, the politest, gentlest battering but a battering nonetheless.

Mate, people like us are shielding until we get vaccinated or until some magic drug is developed that stops anyone dying of it.

Don't expect to be going out to play in 2020.

It will be interesting to see how we stand in terms of cancelling holidays if non shielding people are ok to go but someone in the party is shielding and the group want to cancel.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Corona Virus on 12:00 - May 7 with 1181 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 11:55 - May 7 by londonlisa2001

No. He was pushing to be told the plans for it ending, what would happen and when. He wasn’t pushing for it to happen now or indeed until numbers were down and systems in place (neither of which seems to be the case).

We have the situation now where no plans have been properly outlined and the story has been deliberately leaked, papers have overreacted like irresponsible children and everyone is going to act as though it’s all over.

He was pushing for a plan, subject to ongoing decreases in infection, much as the Republic of Ireland have done and has been outlined here by others. This shows staged changes and increased freedoms. Sensible enough. Many countries are doing the same
Corona Virus on 12:02 - May 7 with 1174 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 11:59 - May 7 by Joe_bradshaw

Mate, people like us are shielding until we get vaccinated or until some magic drug is developed that stops anyone dying of it.

Don't expect to be going out to play in 2020.

It will be interesting to see how we stand in terms of cancelling holidays if non shielding people are ok to go but someone in the party is shielding and the group want to cancel.

There may be a very long wait for a vaccine that is effective. We shall see, but its trickier than it sounds
Corona Virus on 12:02 - May 7 with 1172 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 11:57 - May 7 by Professor

Too early yet and the way the Daily Heil and others are reporting, people will, as you say. think carnival time. Those headlines have killed people already.

Yep. It’s grossly irresponsible. The front pages today are the most disgusting misrepresentations of the situation it’s possible to imagine.

The government have to get on top of the misreporting otherwise the infection rate will soar and we’ll be back to where we started.

The only relaxation is people can be outside as long as they can remain safely socially distant. That’s it.
Login to get fewer ads

Corona Virus on 12:05 - May 7 with 1164 viewsSwanjaxs

With reference to the OP's question...

Very bad indeed.

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Corona Virus on 12:06 - May 7 with 1161 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 12:00 - May 7 by Professor

He was pushing for a plan, subject to ongoing decreases in infection, much as the Republic of Ireland have done and has been outlined here by others. This shows staged changes and increased freedoms. Sensible enough. Many countries are doing the same

I think the plan we are supposedly having is staged across a few months depending on various factors. The issue is that communication is, as usual, so woeful the papers are allowed to give a completely misleading picture and that will now be impossible to walk back.
Corona Virus on 12:08 - May 7 with 1157 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 12:02 - May 7 by londonlisa2001

Yep. It’s grossly irresponsible. The front pages today are the most disgusting misrepresentations of the situation it’s possible to imagine.

The government have to get on top of the misreporting otherwise the infection rate will soar and we’ll be back to where we started.

The only relaxation is people can be outside as long as they can remain safely socially distant. That’s it.

Which I think is fine -as long as social distancing is observed and we don't get the idiocy of filling National Parks etc. for exercise again. I can't see us back in work at all before July and then it will need PPE. We may also struggle as much equipment has gone to the Lighthouse Labs (along with my PhD students)
Corona Virus on 12:11 - May 7 with 1152 viewssherpajacob

Corona Virus on 22:52 - May 6 by NeathJack

This is the Prime Minister's five-stage plan according to The Mirror.

1. From Monday

Unlimited exercise allowed. Employees encouraged to return to workplaces that have stayed open throughout the lockdown, if safe. Garden centres could reopen while there may be more guidance on the use of outdoor spaces including open-air markets, high streets and cemeteries.

2. End of May/Start of June

Phased return of primary schools, starting with Year 6. Households could be allowed to expand “social bubble” to meet one other household of family or friends.

3. June (End)

Phased return of secondary schools before the summer holidays. Small team sports such as five-a-side football could be allowed, along with outdoor gatherings of fewer than 30 people. Cafes with outdoor seating could reopen while outdoor sports like golf, tennis and angling might resume.

4. End of August/Start of September

Pubs, bars and restaurants could gradually reopen although customers would be expected to follow strict social distancing rules.

5. October

Possible return of Premiership matches, although behind closed doors. Gyms could be allowed to re-open.But any further lifting of restrictions to get back to normal life would be in doubt amid fears of a second wave of coronavirus or an outbreak of seasonal flu.

It is not known if the same plan would be followed in Wales, although the four nations have generally moved in step with each other on lockdown arrangements.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/boris-johnsons-draft-five-stage-18211

If an employer wants their staff to return to the workplace but an employee doesn't feel its safe, I wonder whose side this government will come down on?

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Corona Virus on 12:11 - May 7 with 1150 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 12:08 - May 7 by Professor

Which I think is fine -as long as social distancing is observed and we don't get the idiocy of filling National Parks etc. for exercise again. I can't see us back in work at all before July and then it will need PPE. We may also struggle as much equipment has gone to the Lighthouse Labs (along with my PhD students)

I don’t think I’ll be in the office again for months. Nor will I be visiting supermarkets etc in a hurry.

The one thing that would benefit me is being able to drive out to the countryside to give the dog a good run rather than her having to put up with lead walks around local streets which isn’t enough for her really. Parks in London are too crowded to let her run around. So that’d be good if possible,
Corona Virus on 12:22 - May 7 with 1139 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 12:11 - May 7 by londonlisa2001

I don’t think I’ll be in the office again for months. Nor will I be visiting supermarkets etc in a hurry.

The one thing that would benefit me is being able to drive out to the countryside to give the dog a good run rather than her having to put up with lead walks around local streets which isn’t enough for her really. Parks in London are too crowded to let her run around. So that’d be good if possible,

I expect to go back in September, but then perhaps shorter staggered days (9-2 or 2-7 perhaps). to avoid contact. We have plans made to return to lab work but can only fit half of the research group into our lab at any one time based on these, so again staggered hours/days perhaps over a six day working week. I don't see us doing any animal-based work this year.

I am lucky in that I live in a semi-rural location, so plenty of dog walking. I won't be in a supermarket again for the foreseeable future, `Combination of Ocado and some great local suppliers who deliver.
Corona Virus on 12:24 - May 7 with 1139 viewshobo

Corona Virus on 10:20 - May 7 by Scotia

We're not at the peak though, we've passed through and are seeing a decrease. Less deaths in hospital (which was the original measure), in fact even if you add the deaths outside hosptial it is still a decrease against just hospital deaths 3 weeks ago, and a decrease in positive cases to number of tests ratio. We have seen less than 200 new cases in Wales consistently over the last week despite completing more tests than when we getting around 350 new cases a day.

I think that the plan out of the lockdown seems reasonable, although the governement definitely reacted too late.

In fact that is exactly what they did - they reacted to the situation rather than putting a plan in place.

Boris has been pushing the narrative that we're passed the peak, but we are not. It takes a consistent dropping of cases and deaths to be past the peak, not a couple of days here and there.

It's a long, Table Mountain, kind of peak, but I'd say we're still a week or two away from starting a descent
Corona Virus on 12:32 - May 7 with 1130 viewsploppy

Corona Virus on 12:24 - May 7 by hobo

Boris has been pushing the narrative that we're passed the peak, but we are not. It takes a consistent dropping of cases and deaths to be past the peak, not a couple of days here and there.

It's a long, Table Mountain, kind of peak, but I'd say we're still a week or two away from starting a descent

That's why we look at the 7-day moving average (so that we catch one weekend), rather than a couple of days here and there. With regards to cases, the extra testing will undoubtedly cause an increase, or at least a plateauing. Hospital admissions is probably a more more useful measure. We are definitely past the peak.
Corona Virus on 12:34 - May 7 with 1127 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 12:24 - May 7 by hobo

We are past the peak. The table to look at is the date when deaths occurred rather than when they’re reported. The peak appears to have been April 8th.

Yesterday’s table here (it’s only England I’m afraid).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EXWd02MUcAEZuVD?format=jpg&name=large

Also the graph showing positive cases as a proportion of those tested. See here (this is all UK).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EXWcjvCUcAAqMmw?format=jpg&name=large
Corona Virus on 13:12 - May 7 with 1100 viewsjasper_T

Corona Virus on 12:32 - May 7 by ploppy

That's why we look at the 7-day moving average (so that we catch one weekend), rather than a couple of days here and there. With regards to cases, the extra testing will undoubtedly cause an increase, or at least a plateauing. Hospital admissions is probably a more more useful measure. We are definitely past the peak.

What extra testing? They mailed out a few tens of thousands of extra tests at the end of the month to meet that 100k target and then the numbers immediately dropped back down again. I expect a similar stunt at the end of this month to meet the next target.

Technically they won't have failed and the cheerleaders will carry Boris around Waitrose on their shoulders. Some minimum wage essential workers will die. "Heroes", innit.
Corona Virus on 13:14 - May 7 with 1100 viewschad

Corona Virus on 11:55 - May 7 by londonlisa2001

I think you will find what I said is correct Lisa. I can point you to the Guardian article if you wish.

As for the rest, you seem to be arguing with yourself, putting words in my mouth, and then arguing against them.

I thought it wrong to put pressure on to make plans to come out of lockdown (actually over 3 weeks ago). That is the thing with politicians of all colours, they try to be everything to everyone to keep the votes.

At that time there was so much to be addressed that we needed to (as I said at the time) focus on the immediate things that absolutely needed attention, and as we all know there was plenty of them.

If at the height plans had been made that did not track the viruses course or did not take account of lessons learned from other broadly comparative countries lockdown withdrawals, it would be another thing for people to squeal about.
Corona Virus on 13:24 - May 7 with 1089 viewschad

Corona Virus on 12:00 - May 7 by Professor

Were our deaths not still increasing at that time (over 3 weeks ago)?
Corona Virus on 13:25 - May 7 with 1085 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 13:14 - May 7 by chad

I think you will find what I said is correct Lisa. I can point you to the Guardian article if you wish.

As for the rest, you seem to be arguing with yourself, putting words in my mouth, and then arguing against them.

I thought it wrong to put pressure on to make plans to come out of lockdown (actually over 3 weeks ago). That is the thing with politicians of all colours, they try to be everything to everyone to keep the votes.

At that time there was so much to be addressed that we needed to (as I said at the time) focus on the immediate things that absolutely needed attention, and as we all know there was plenty of them.

If at the height plans had been made that did not track the viruses course or did not take account of lessons learned from other broadly comparative countries lockdown withdrawals, it would be another thing for people to squeal about.

I haven’t put any words in your mouth. I didn’t say you said anything at all. I was replying to a post as it was related. Not every part of every post is a direct reply to the poster being replied to.

You asked if Starmer had pushed for plans to end lockdown and I said he’d asked to SEE the plans to end lockdown and said they should be public. We heard him say it. Many times. To Raab. In PMQs. I don’t need to see the Guardian.

The plans have been in existence for weeks. It was reasonable for the leader of the opposition to ask to see them. Your post inferred, and perhaps you didn’t mean it to, although this post repeats it, that somehow Starmer had influenced or pressurised the timetable which is nonsense.

The timetable now is being pressurised by the cost of the furlough scheme which has been far in excess of predictions. As far more businesses closed than they were expecting to close.
Corona Virus on 13:28 - May 7 with 1078 viewsploppy

Corona Virus on 13:14 - May 7 by chad

I haven't read the article but I agree (I think). People have been clamouring for plans for coming out of lockdown. Unfortunately, people can't seem to dissociate the plan for coming out of lockdown from the date those plans might start. So, these "plans" are giving the public a false sense that we're on the brink of releasing restrictions. Sturgeon started it - her "plan" basically said nothing that you and I couldn't have put together - it wasn't a plan at all. Now she's having to backtrack and extend her lockdown, when I bet people in Scotland were hoping that things would be starting to change now.
Corona Virus on 13:29 - May 7 with 1078 viewsmagicdaps10

So Sturgeon has decided yet again to be the first voice heard and extend lock down in Scotland for another 3wks.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Corona Virus on 13:34 - May 7 with 1061 viewsmagicdaps10

Corona Virus on 13:28 - May 7 by ploppy

I haven't read the article but I agree (I think). People have been clamouring for plans for coming out of lockdown. Unfortunately, people can't seem to dissociate the plan for coming out of lockdown from the date those plans might start. So, these "plans" are giving the public a false sense that we're on the brink of releasing restrictions. Sturgeon started it - her "plan" basically said nothing that you and I couldn't have put together - it wasn't a plan at all. Now she's having to backtrack and extend her lockdown, when I bet people in Scotland were hoping that things would be starting to change now.

Sturgeon is all about herself and trying to get one up all the time...... Why talk about plans for easing of lock down then extend it by 3wks, all the plans do is put a false sense of understanding in most people's minds.

The easing off from the public regarding lock down lately is frightening enough, the talk/printing of stages of coming out of lockdown needs to be stopped until the date those measures comes into force.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Corona Virus on 13:38 - May 7 with 1056 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 13:29 - May 7 by magicdaps10

So Sturgeon has decided yet again to be the first voice heard and extend lock down in Scotland for another 3wks.

I think it’s a function fo the Scotland briefing just being earlier in the day than the UK briefing (which is effectively the England briefing).

They legally have to comment today (it’s the three week review). So she had to address it.

The UK will also officially extend lockdown today for another 3 weeks. And then parts will be relaxed on Sunday in the address of the great leader.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024