Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can of worms 20:20 - Jun 8 with 5424 viewsdickythorpe

When I was a child this war hero was celebrated for fighting for his country.
Thanks to "revisionism" a monument that has stood for nigh on 150 years should "they" say be pulled down!!
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/picton-carmarthen-cardiff-black-li
Can of worms on 20:28 - Jun 8 with 2619 viewsexiledclaseboy

I’d call it more re-evaluation than revisionism. I’d never heard of the bloke before but according to that Western Mail article he “...executed dozens of slaves as governor of the island and notoriously authorised the torture of a 14-year-old girl.”

Poll: Tory leader

Can of worms on 20:42 - Jun 8 with 2593 viewsdickythorpe

War hero in my school days in the 80's, racist now in 2020's.

Revisionism-
"The theory or practice of revising one's attitude to a previously accepted situation or point of view."
Can of worms on 20:44 - Jun 8 with 2576 viewsBest_loser

Picton arcade next
Can of worms on 20:50 - Jun 8 with 2552 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Wait til Lohengrin finds out. He’ll chain himself to it

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Can of worms on 20:55 - Jun 8 with 2538 viewsexiledclaseboy

Can of worms on 20:42 - Jun 8 by dickythorpe

War hero in my school days in the 80's, racist now in 2020's.

Revisionism-
"The theory or practice of revising one's attitude to a previously accepted situation or point of view."

He can be both a war hero and a racist. They’re not mutually exclusive. Probably applies to most of that time.

Can of worms on 20:59 - Jun 8 with 2515 viewsdickythorpe

Can of worms on 20:50 - Jun 8 by Brynmill_Jack

Wait til Lohengrin finds out. He’ll chain himself to it

The funny thing is not many know who the fûck he was
Can of worms on 21:00 - Jun 8 with 2507 viewsFlashberryjack

It started when Fulham took down the statue of Michael Jackson....the b*stards.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Can of worms on 21:07 - Jun 8 with 2485 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Statues are going to become very much a thing of the past at this rate. Whilst I am in complete agreement with the sentiments about these historical figures I am somewhat uncomfortable with judging people from long ago by 21st Century values.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Login to get fewer ads

Can of worms on 21:38 - Jun 8 with 2406 viewsCatullus

Can of worms on 21:07 - Jun 8 by Joe_bradshaw

Statues are going to become very much a thing of the past at this rate. Whilst I am in complete agreement with the sentiments about these historical figures I am somewhat uncomfortable with judging people from long ago by 21st Century values.

I tend to agree with you and I've said this a few times. On reflection though, maybe those who achieved true greatness for good reasons could be left alone. We will all be forgotten with the passge of time so maybe those we've never heard of should just be quietly removed.
Teach about them in schools maybe but take their statues down, remove their names from buildings etc.
There are those with murky past actions though who still deserve their plinths, like Churchill. Lets face it, go back to the days of slavery and many white people were just as oppressed back then too. Those rich and powerful officers often treated their men as cannon fodder and looked down on them as entirely expendable comapred to career progression. The ruling classes treated anybody outside their social standing pretty much like scum.

On that thought, if we remove those not considered worthy there are always people to replace them with, Nightingale, Wilberforce, Howard and possibly loads of scientists, Patrick Matthew, Alfred Russel Wallace and of course Darwin

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Can of worms on 21:50 - Jun 8 with 2376 viewsWarwickHunt

Can of worms on 21:00 - Jun 8 by Flashberryjack

It started when Fulham took down the statue of Michael Jackson....the b*stards.

Black Lives Matter! Oh, hang on...
Can of worms on 21:53 - Jun 8 with 2362 viewsNotLoyal

Can of worms on 20:55 - Jun 8 by exiledclaseboy

He can be both a war hero and a racist. They’re not mutually exclusive. Probably applies to most of that time.

And you agreed I'm dangerous 😉

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Can of worms on 21:53 - Jun 8 with 2361 viewsexiledclaseboy

Can of worms on 21:53 - Jun 8 by NotLoyal

Did I?

Can of worms on 21:56 - Jun 8 with 2351 viewsDarran

Can of worms on 21:53 - Jun 8 by NotLoyal

He didn’t get a chance you left a message in the bogs and ran like fućk.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Can of worms on 22:09 - Jun 8 with 2327 viewsJack_Kass

General Nott in the town centre will have to go aswell.

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Can of worms on 22:23 - Jun 8 with 2281 viewsNortbankboy

Extreme nationalism not good for anyone
Can of worms on 23:05 - Jun 8 with 2212 viewsJack_Meoff

When I was a child Jimmy Savile was celebrated for being utterly altruistic, a benevolent maker of children's dreams coming true, as well as being a friend of the royals and politicians of the day. Little did we know of his real role as a fixer, the little rapscallion.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Can of worms on 23:08 - Jun 8 with 2204 viewsFieryJack

Can of worms on 21:38 - Jun 8 by Catullus

I tend to agree with you and I've said this a few times. On reflection though, maybe those who achieved true greatness for good reasons could be left alone. We will all be forgotten with the passge of time so maybe those we've never heard of should just be quietly removed.
Teach about them in schools maybe but take their statues down, remove their names from buildings etc.
There are those with murky past actions though who still deserve their plinths, like Churchill. Lets face it, go back to the days of slavery and many white people were just as oppressed back then too. Those rich and powerful officers often treated their men as cannon fodder and looked down on them as entirely expendable comapred to career progression. The ruling classes treated anybody outside their social standing pretty much like scum.

On that thought, if we remove those not considered worthy there are always people to replace them with, Nightingale, Wilberforce, Howard and possibly loads of scientists, Patrick Matthew, Alfred Russel Wallace and of course Darwin

John Howard's already got a statue - in St. Paul's Square, Bedford.

There are moves to erect one of Garry Monk in the same town.
Can of worms on 23:46 - Jun 8 with 2149 viewsJoe_bradshaw

In the summer of 2013 we might have erected a statue of Huw Jenkins at the Liberty Stadium.

Not too long after it would have been pulled down and thrown in the river.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Can of worms on 23:56 - Jun 8 with 2134 viewsLuther27

I don’t suppose there are many statues of Idi Amin to pull down.
Can of worms on 00:21 - Jun 9 with 2103 viewsJack123

Looking at the Wales Online article it says the Lord Mayor of Cardiff has called for it, after seeing all the unrest over the weekend, i think it's pretty pathetic for a man in his position to complain about it RIGHT now! I wonder if it bothered him before.

libera nos a malo

Can of worms on 01:17 - Jun 9 with 2049 viewsGlyn1

Can of worms on 21:07 - Jun 8 by Joe_bradshaw

"judging people from long ago by 21st Century values".

Although I mostly agree with that, I think that even in his time, murdering people and torturing children would have been considered to be wrong. If people then had known what he did and judged him by 19th century values, would he have been criticised? In what century would it be considered OK to do that?

Totally agree with the comment above that you can be a racist and a hero at the same time.

There's a plaque somewhere in America to Benedict Arnold, allegedly. When people complained, the town said that before he betrayed America he had saved it by his actions as a general. Mixed messages.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 1:36]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Can of worms on 01:26 - Jun 9 with 2036 viewsGlyn1

Can of worms on 23:05 - Jun 8 by Jack_Meoff

When I was a child Jimmy Savile was celebrated for being utterly altruistic, a benevolent maker of children's dreams coming true, as well as being a friend of the royals and politicians of the day. Little did we know of his real role as a fixer, the little rapscallion.

"rapscallion"? I think you meant "rapist".

http://tonymountain.blogspot.com/2012/10/sir-jimmy-savile-scarborough-plaque.htm

It's "political correctness" gone mad, mad, mad … or maybe it isn't.

I wonder how many kids wrote to Jim'll fix it, asking if they could meet Gary Glitter? And how's he doing? Haven't heard any of his songs recently. A freelancer friend of a friend had the job of going through every Top of the Pops episode and marking where Savile appeared so that he could be deleted. Normally I disapprove of things like that, but not in that case.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 1:28]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Can of worms on 01:50 - Jun 9 with 2013 viewsJack123

Can of worms on 01:17 - Jun 9 by Glyn1

"judging people from long ago by 21st Century values".

Although I mostly agree with that, I think that even in his time, murdering people and torturing children would have been considered to be wrong. If people then had known what he did and judged him by 19th century values, would he have been criticised? In what century would it be considered OK to do that?

Totally agree with the comment above that you can be a racist and a hero at the same time.

There's a plaque somewhere in America to Benedict Arnold, allegedly. When people complained, the town said that before he betrayed America he had saved it by his actions as a general. Mixed messages.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 1:36]

The point is though where do you stop? Let's rip up all our history, Oh yeah and when we are finished with that let's start with the other races history and go through it with a fine tooth comb, to smash the fck out of it, it would be even better if we move to their country and do it.

libera nos a malo

Can of worms on 08:13 - Jun 9 with 1918 viewsBest_loser

Can of worms on 23:56 - Jun 8 by Luther27

I don’t suppose there are many statues of Idi Amin to pull down.

Pritti wouldn't complain about that one being smashed up
Can of worms on 08:55 - Jun 9 with 1874 viewskarnataka

Can of worms on 23:08 - Jun 8 by FieryJack

John Howard's already got a statue - in St. Paul's Square, Bedford.

There are moves to erect one of Garry Monk in the same town.

And Darwin has a whole shopping centre named after him in Shrewsbury.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024