Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Too little too late? 01:30 - Aug 17 with 3451 viewsKerouac

Tonight was the best football Swansea City has played in ages...
...and the reason why we drastically improved shows that Martin might, finally, be learning and willing to try something different.

- We didn't have 4 in the attacking line, Piroe constantly dropped into that space between the lines, showing for the ball.
Other than a couple of loose ones, one back pass in particular in the 1st half was insane, on the whole Piroe linked up the play well and helped us transition to attack at speed.
I particularly enjoyed a moment in the 2nd half where Martin collared Piroe at a drinks break and talked to him about trying to turn it around the corner for Sorinola (Martin actually acted out what he meant...within 10 minutes Piroe had tried this a couple of times and one in particular came off lovely. Sorinola wasted it off course

- Grimes and Ntcham and Allen took turns to make forward runs into that space between the lines. All of them, as a result were an attacking threat at times...and we did manage to get overloads in this area with Piroe joining whoever made the run

- We mixed up the play, occasionally curling some longer passes into the channels...
The Latibeaudiere open goal came from one of these situations - Grimes hung it up for Latibeaudiere to challenge, we didn't win the ball cleanly but managed to stab it back to the right where Grimes had followed up his pass with a run in support...Grimes played it first time into Piroe who had space in-between the lines (we had managed to disorganise their defence by actually giving them something to defend!), Piroe turned, shaped to shoot but instead opted to lay it square to Ntcham...this is a fluid, overload situation, players from deep sensing there is an opportunity and getting forward. This is how goals are made...and he shot, the keeper saved, Latibeaudiere somehow managed to sky it.

Positives
- Joey Allen reads the game beautifully and makes the right decision on the ball consistently.
- Allen and Grimes look like they are going to be an excellent partnership
- Naughton brought the ball forward with purpose, committing men, not allowing them to sit deep.
- Darling, very solid citizen when defending and also brings the ball forward well.
- Through balls and balls over the top a-plenty. We asked them questions.
- Manning, actually gives us some go forward down the left...got involved with players inside him, linking up and making stuff happen. Excellent finish.
- Ntcham, seemed to be growing in confidence, on the same wavelength as Piroe & Obafemi. Some lovely weighted passing. A creator.
- We finally created enough chances to consistently win games of football. We scored 2 but it could have been 4 or 5. Create this number of chances consistently and Piroe and Obafemi will see us alright.
- Despite a drop off in the 2nd half, which was disappointing (we mentally switch off and hope we've done enough...this is a theme), we then picked it back up and created a series of decent chances between 60th - 75th minutes. Players were doing what I was talking about on my thread re: our attacking flaws and how to fix them...we were playing with a freedom, a confidence.

Negatives:
- Game management from Martin (his re-jig of the defence and his seeming inability to coach his players how to manage a game of football. By now we should have a plan on how to see out situations like we faced in injury time...why didn't we play keep ball after the 1st goal?

- Sorinola, not up to this level, unfortunately. Wish the lad the best though.

- Fisher, he makes some saves and he is god's gift, to some...nevertheless he continues to make bad decisions and does not dominate his box.
This creates panic among his defence.

- The continuation of the ridiculous goal-kick routine.

- Having every man in our box when defending corners...you have to leave Obafemi up top. This should be obvious. He provides nothing in terms of defending the cross but should provide us an outlet when we clear the ball, either running on to a clearance or at least pressing their defence. Every time we cleared they had all the time in the world to lob it back in again, or knock it down the line to someone to lob it back in from a better angle. This happened throughout the game, we finally paid for it in injury time.

- The subs...Although I agreed with Congreve for Ntcham, I thought, given that Manning was going off and we don't have any other LWBs, a wise sub might have been to switch Grimes to LWB (he has done a good job there before under Potter)...just until the end of this game...then put Cabango at the back and move Naughton into DM role.
We also could have taken 1 striker off and put Fulton into a 3 man midfield.
As we were 2-0 up we could have even finished;

----------------------- Fisher ----------------------------
---------------------- Cabango -------------------------
-------- Wood ------------------------ Darling --------
Sorinola --------- Naughton --------------- Grimes
------------- Fulton -------------- Allen ---------------
--------------------- Congreve -------------------------
--------------------- Obafemi (as the pace outlet)-

...and said to Millwall; 'go on, play through us.'
3 out and out CBs would have been best for the inevitable aerial bombardment...at some point around the 75th minute I leaned into my boy and said; "they are going to put plenty of men in and around the box and bombard us with the long ball".
It was inevitable, they were being outplayed, the only advantages they had was in the air and winning the 2nd ball.

...I have long since given up on Martin thinking like this though, the tactical nous to adjust on the hop seems to be beyond him as well as any imagination re: moving players around as per the situation.

The Final Irony
He is finally trying to make the adjustments to the team that a few of us have been asking for and yet it all seems to be too little too late and at this point (over a year in) there are simply too many problems, problems that Martin is responsible for...
- Game management
- The Goalkeeper
- The substitutions
- An unbalanced squad. Poor squad depth in some areas, too many options in others.
- The falling out with players
- The blaming of players (which seems to be catching on with our fans - it is counter productive...we need our players to perform, we need to build their confidence up, not knock them down.)

The reasons why we threw away these points against Millwall are the same reasons why we have continuously thrown away points under Martin...the irony is that now those who have defended far worse performances, for 10 months-ish, will be those who will finally stick the knife in and bring his Swansea era to an end, just as he was learning something.

https://www.swanseacity.com/video/player/0_fecfirxp
[Post edited 17 Aug 2022 2:04]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Too little too late? on 02:14 - Aug 17 with 2892 viewsDr_Parnassus

That should be a sticky.

Wonderful post.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Too little too late? on 09:19 - Aug 17 with 2744 viewsonehunglow

Too little too late? on 02:14 - Aug 17 by Dr_Parnassus

That should be a sticky.

Wonderful post.

You're very eloquent but much will be over many heads.
Its like this
Martin is an appalling excuse for a coach
We have assembled a team that is physically easily dominated
We have no captain worthy of the name
Our goal keeper is either hopeless or is very uncomfortable being told to play as he does.
Piroe is fed up with being farked about.
Sorinola .Why,just why.Who decided to bring him in.
No way to exclude Bennett from the squad at all..

Im a bit flat after that,numb and dumb thinking we might be improving. significantly.

And still our forum fans rip into each other instead of who really is to blame.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Too little too late? on 14:36 - Aug 17 with 2660 viewsnantywatcher

Superb posting, although there were plenty of positives that you could have included. Our willingness to battle it out with a team who were adept at the dark arts, a willingness to shoot from outside the box, the speed with which we started the match. There were a lot of positives ruined by a wing back who did not do his job - the ball should have not got anywhere near our penalty area for their first goal; any decent amateur would have intercepted that move in the 10/20 seconds before they scored.
Good stuff Kerouac.
Too little too late? on 16:28 - Aug 17 with 2609 viewsReslovenSwan1

Marin has a long contract and is expected to have Swansea in the top 8 or so this season. Early indications are he can achieve this and needs to be able to put sides like Millwall away. Some good performances this week after the poor show v Blackburn.

Piroes and Obafemi have not yet stated firing on all cylinders. Ntcham is looking sharper. Darling, Wood and Cabango should all settle down and Allen is still warming up, A Cyrus Christie signing will help settle the nerves and bring experience. One or two academy players have been blooded.

Work in progress.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Too little too late? on 19:17 - Aug 17 with 2531 viewsOptimisticJack

Too little too late? on 16:28 - Aug 17 by ReslovenSwan1

Marin has a long contract and is expected to have Swansea in the top 8 or so this season. Early indications are he can achieve this and needs to be able to put sides like Millwall away. Some good performances this week after the poor show v Blackburn.

Piroes and Obafemi have not yet stated firing on all cylinders. Ntcham is looking sharper. Darling, Wood and Cabango should all settle down and Allen is still warming up, A Cyrus Christie signing will help settle the nerves and bring experience. One or two academy players have been blooded.

Work in progress.

Good post.

Optimisticjack

Too little too late? on 19:59 - Aug 17 with 2493 viewsjojaca

Russell won't be getting the sack anytime soon. First four games have had ups and downs, but nowhere near bad enough to sack a guy for a club with limited funds.

Even when you know, you never know?

Too little too late? on 21:28 - Aug 17 with 2466 viewsSirjohnalot

Work in progress.

Spot on. Blackburn was a terrible blip.
Too little too late? on 21:30 - Aug 17 with 2458 viewsSTID2017

Too little too late? on 19:59 - Aug 17 by jojaca

Russell won't be getting the sack anytime soon. First four games have had ups and downs, but nowhere near bad enough to sack a guy for a club with limited funds.

Excellent common sense post.
Some could learn from it

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Login to get fewer ads

Too little too late? on 22:09 - Aug 17 with 2393 viewsvetchonian

Its their way K anyone who dares to post reasoned arguments get abuse.....

We all want the same thing we all love our club except some of us don't believe in blind or rose tinted optimsism

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Too little too late? on 23:41 - Aug 17 with 2230 viewsDr_Parnassus

Work in progress.

Eh?

Last season 15th, this season 14th.

Where are these indications we will be top 8?

Too little too late? on 08:49 - Aug 18 with 2034 viewsSTID2017

Too little too late? on 22:09 - Aug 17 by vetchonian

Its their way K anyone who dares to post reasoned arguments get abuse.....

We all want the same thing we all love our club except some of us don't believe in blind or rose tinted optimsism

He is an abusive poster.
That is why he gets it back.
Simples

Too little too late? on 08:51 - Aug 18 with 2030 viewsDr_Parnassus

Too little too late? on 08:49 - Aug 18 by STID2017

He is an abusive poster.
Simples

You abuse posters regardless of if they are abusive themselves or not.

Too little too late? on 08:52 - Aug 18 with 2028 viewsSTID2017

Too little too late? on 08:51 - Aug 18 by Dr_Parnassus

You abuse posters regardless of if they are abusive themselves or not.

I am argumentative.
Not abusive though

Too little too late? on 08:56 - Aug 18 with 2017 viewsDr_Parnassus

Too little too late? on 08:52 - Aug 18 by STID2017

I am argumentative.
Not abusive though

You are both.

Abusive can be intentionally lying about someone, calling them names, telling them they aren’t a fan etc etc

All different levels of abuse, but all abusive.

Too little too late? on 08:59 - Aug 18 with 2006 viewsonehunglow

Too little too late? on 08:49 - Aug 18 by STID2017

He is an abusive poster.
Simples

Those accusing others of posting abuse need to look into that Mirror,again.

Sadly, we still seem to actually want more pain /more losses in the mot painful way in the HOPE Maartin gets it right.

Then the explanation that we cannot actually afford to sack him ,which seems to contradict their faith in Martin.

Yep,that's us,squabbling,abusing in the most subtle manner so it gets past the mods. The coach gets away with murder as do the insipid ,silent,absent owners.

God help us.

Too little too late? on 08:59 - Aug 18 with 2008 viewsSTID2017

Too little too late? on 08:56 - Aug 18 by Dr_Parnassus

You are both.

Abusive can be intentionally lying about someone, calling them names, telling them they aren’t a fan etc etc

All different levels of abuse, but all abusive.

Let it go mun.
You have spats with people, but then instead of moving on keep dragging it up months later ?
Life's too short bud

Too little too late? on 09:02 - Aug 18 with 2000 viewsDr_Parnassus

Too little too late? on 08:59 - Aug 18 by STID2017

Let it go mun.
You have spats with people, but then instead of moving on keep dragging it up months later ?
Life's too short bud

You say that and you will be back arguing next week.

Only yesterday you were bringing me up out of the blue and talking about me in a disparaging manner.

It’s all well and good you telling people to let it go, but you need to take that step yourself as you don’t seem to stop talking about us.

Too little too late? on 09:05 - Aug 18 with 1998 viewsSTID2017

Too little too late? on 09:02 - Aug 18 by Dr_Parnassus

You say that and you will be back arguing next week.

Only yesterday you were bringing me up out of the blue and talking about me in a disparaging manner.

It’s all well and good you telling people to let it go, but you need to take that step yourself as you don’t seem to stop talking about us.

Better to be talked about than ignored.
Notice you did the same about me, posting how you had to put me tight about something that had happened in a game I had seen live ?
We all do it

Too little too late? on 09:08 - Aug 18 with 1993 viewsDr_Parnassus

Too little too late? on 09:05 - Aug 18 by STID2017

Better to be talked about than ignored.
Notice you did the same about me, posting how you had to put me tight about something that had happened in a game I had seen live ?
We all do it

That was a fact, I wasn’t talking disparagingly about you.

Simply stating that when people go and watch a game they come back and often have no idea what they have just watched until they are told otherwise or watch it back.

You seem to be bringing people up most days in order to cause conflict.

I’d rather you ignore me please.

Too little too late? on 09:32 - Aug 18 with 1982 viewsonehunglow

Too little too late? on 08:59 - Aug 18 by STID2017

Let it go mun.
Life's too short bud

Think about that which you have just posted and then relate it to what your chums post.
We have posters harking back 10/15/20 years to people they hate even though often theyve never met in person for more than 5 minutes.

Crazy

I say again-WE ARE ALL ANGRY BUT CANT ADMIT THE FACT WE ARE IN DEEP SCTUCK WITH MARTIN

Too little too late? on 14:57 - Aug 18 with 1922 viewsReslovenSwan1

Too little too late? on 09:32 - Aug 18 by onehunglow

Think about that which you have just posted and then relate it to what your chums post.
We have posters harking back 10/15/20 years to people they hate even though often theyve never met in person for more than 5 minutes.

Crazy

I say again-WE ARE ALL ANGRY BUT CANT ADMIT THE FACT WE ARE IN DEEP SCTUCK WITH MARTIN

You are an maverick expatriate. You do not speak for anyone but yourself so do not use the "We". You do not speak for anyone but yourself. Your view carry a little traction after defeats but that is about it.

I am not angry. Frustrated yes. Martin is going for the long term and plays Wood over Bennett . Young players make mistakes.

Martin has to deliver top 10 as a minimum.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Too little too late? on 17:24 - Aug 18 with 1878 viewsTreforys_Jack

We did appear to play well for the first 70mins or so but how much of that was due to the tactics of the opposition, they didn't seem to play the high press with much conviction, that said maybe that was down to Joe starting and Rowett knowing he had the tools to bypass the press comfortably.
Too little too late? on 22:11 - Aug 18 with 1811 viewsCatullus

Too little too late? on 17:24 - Aug 18 by Treforys_Jack

We did appear to play well for the first 70mins or so but how much of that was due to the tactics of the opposition, they didn't seem to play the high press with much conviction, that said maybe that was down to Joe starting and Rowett knowing he had the tools to bypass the press comfortably.

I said it the night of the match, we went into decline when Joe went off. Joe will be massive for us this season.

Our big problem is still playing with wing backs when we have nobody good enough no matter who he shehorns in there but, we do have 2 decent fullbacks if we went to a back 4.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Too little too late? on 23:57 - Aug 18 with 1782 viewsDr_Parnassus

Too little too late? on 14:57 - Aug 18 by ReslovenSwan1

You are an maverick expatriate. You do not speak for anyone but yourself so do not use the "We". You do not speak for anyone but yourself. Your view carry a little traction after defeats but that is about it.

I am not angry. Frustrated yes. Martin is going for the long term and plays Wood over Bennett . Young players make mistakes.

Martin has to deliver top 10 as a minimum.

That’s slowly moving downwards I see.

You said top 8 prior to this.

Too little too late? on 00:32 - Aug 19 with 1775 viewsSTID2017

Too little too late? on 23:57 - Aug 18 by Dr_Parnassus

That’s slowly moving downwards I see.

You said top 8 prior to this.

I think he predicted a top 8 finish, but is saying Martin has to finish in top 10 at least ?
Two different things, surely?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024