Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vets, another rip off . 13:53 - Jan 24 with 5697 viewscentrestandswan

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/jan/24/vets-now-fees-out-of-hours-bills

The normal fees are bad enough without this .

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

Vets, another rip off . on 14:01 - Jan 24 with 3830 viewsSwanjaxs

Thats scandalous, luckily for us when we had to call the vet out on a Sunday it was just the £100 call-out fee but the rest of the treatment was normal price.

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Vets, another rip off . on 14:09 - Jan 24 with 3812 viewsswanforthemoney

I wonder how many insure their pets now ?
I stopped insuring our pooch when the premiums got outrageous.
We get bills that seem quite high, but they are still cheaper than insurance would be.
For a more expensive procedure, we told the vet we werent insured and they knocked a couple of hundred quid off the price.
I reckon Im well in pocket.

I stand in the North Stand

Vets, another rip off . on 16:40 - Jan 24 with 3748 viewsDyfnant

If you were a Vet, would you want to work nights? No doubt the prices there are a rip off, simply don’t take the pet until the next day.

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Vets, another rip off . on 17:11 - Jan 24 with 3716 viewsmax936

My now departed Dobe, fell ill after a stay in Kennels about 4/5 yrs ago and I had to take him down to Afon Vets in Pen Dray Neath at half 5 in morning he was there for 36hrs ish cost me nearly 500 quid worth every penny though, we would have lost him otherwise, he's was in a hell of a state, but I agree their charges are well over priced, but what do you do they're all the same.
When he passed it cost me 78 quid to have him Cremated they wanted nearly 130 to give me back his ashes, didn't really see the point of that though, happy enough to have the memories of him.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Vets, another rip off . on 20:17 - Jan 24 with 3612 viewsLoyal

Most eu countries don't charge half as much.
Dog haters all of em.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Vets, another rip off . on 20:34 - Jan 24 with 3591 viewsmagicdaps10

Vet conned the wife and I out of near on a couple grand.
Our westie had a ear infection that had puss coming out of his ears. The vet charged us 3/4 times to flush his ear and each time use new antibiotics. We were told he would need his inner ear taken out at a cost of £1500, this after paying well over a grand on having his ears flushed and treatment.

Whilst this was going on, we took him to be chipped in a dig event in Margam Park. Whilst being chipped the lady told us his ear infection was diwn to diet and gave us a list of three dried foods to use and was confident within a week the ear would be better or on its way to getting better.....she told us vets were aware of this issue with Westies.

Within a week his ears cleared up and has never returned. Not only were the vets happy to take money off a young couple but were prepared to take our dogs inner ears out whilst knowing it was a simple solution to the issue.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Vets, another rip off . on 20:40 - Jan 24 with 3582 viewsSwanjaxs

Vets, another rip off . on 20:34 - Jan 24 by magicdaps10

Our westie had a ear infection that had puss coming out of his ears. The vet charged us 3/4 times to flush his ear and each time use new antibiotics. We were told he would need his inner ear taken out at a cost of £1500, this after paying well over a grand on having his ears flushed and treatment.

Whilst this was going on, we took him to be chipped in a dig event in Margam Park. Whilst being chipped the lady told us his ear infection was diwn to diet and gave us a list of three dried foods to use and was confident within a week the ear would be better or on its way to getting better.....she told us vets were aware of this issue with Westies.

Within a week his ears cleared up and has never returned. Not only were the vets happy to take money off a young couple but were prepared to take our dogs inner ears out whilst knowing it was a simple solution to the issue.

Had the same problem with my Irish setter mate, went on a setter page on Facebook and was advised to try a particular dry food and bingo it cleared up almost overnight, apparently certain foods can cause a yeast infection to the ears

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.

Vets, another rip off . on 20:54 - Jan 24 with 3555 viewsswanjackal

Vets, another rip off . on 20:40 - Jan 24 by Swanjaxs

Had the same problem with my Irish setter mate, went on a setter page on Facebook and was advised to try a particular dry food and bingo it cleared up almost overnight, apparently certain foods can cause a yeast infection to the ears

Common theme here. My Jack had skin issues for the first 18 months of her life, vet took skin scrapes , hair analysis, and various other tests, leading to wanting to send us to an animal hospital in Bristol. Cost me hundreds of pounds. As it was my first dog, I had no real idea, but changed to a specific dry food like yourself, after talking to someone walking their dog in Morriston Crem who had similar problems, cleared up in two days after advice. Again it wasn't uncommon problem, but milked me for several hundred pounds, and insurance would not cover it either. So promptly finished my coverage and not used it since, and apart from boosters, not needed to go back to the vet for anything in the next 12+ years.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2018 21:00]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Login to get fewer ads

Vets, another rip off . on 21:12 - Jan 24 with 3529 viewsFlashberryjack

Most vets a robbing feckers, the biggest con is the annual vaccinations, absolute rip off.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Vets, another rip off . on 21:33 - Jan 24 with 3508 viewsLoyal

Vets, another rip off . on 20:34 - Jan 24 by magicdaps10

Well done for not kicking his head off.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Vets, another rip off . on 21:47 - Jan 24 with 3493 viewsdickythorpe

I had a cat who had the shîts and after second day of worrying I took him in and one vet wanted to cut him open!!! I did some research online and in person and changed diet and he perked up!!
I no longer use that vet and have since learned she was demoted.

Always seek a second opinion before you decide on major treatment
Vets, another rip off . on 22:51 - Jan 24 with 3444 viewsmax936

Vets, another rip off . on 21:12 - Jan 24 by Flashberryjack

Most vets a robbing feckers, the biggest con is the annual vaccinations, absolute rip off.

You've got to have them done though, another important thing to do once a month maybe twice in warmer months and that's worm them using a quality wormer.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Vets, another rip off . on 10:54 - Jan 25 with 3340 viewsjack_lord

Vets, another rip off . on 22:51 - Jan 24 by max936

You've got to have them done though, another important thing to do once a month maybe twice in warmer months and that's worm them using a quality wormer.

Steve, worming and tick drops can apparently increase the risk of bladder cancers. There are natural alternatives.
Also, some of the injections don't need to be every year as the levels of antibodies should be sufficient and a good Vet should be pointing this out.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Vets, another rip off . on 10:59 - Jan 25 with 3335 viewstrampie

Professor keeping very quiet on this one.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Vets, another rip off . on 11:46 - Jan 25 with 3304 viewsProfessor

Vets, another rip off . on 10:59 - Jan 25 by trampie

Professor keeping very quiet on this one.

Professor busy being a Professor my friend.

First and foremost I am not a vet. But being involved in Vet Science and its teaching I would make the following points:

1. Veterinary Services (other than the statutory livestock surveillance) are not funded by taxation. If you had to pay full costs for human medicine then you would realise how much this is covered.
2. Vets are not minted. You only get rich if you own are a partner in a successful practice and this costs a lot to buy into. Most Vets are on 30-50K, which is about half of a GP salary for same training
3. Out-of-hours relies on newly qualified vets. There are not the safeguards junior doctors have. Vets have the highest suicide rate of all professionals.
4. The vaccines given to dogs, cats etc. are not the best in terms of protection duration. Partly this is to ensure animals are checked yearly when vaccinated. Partly as the vaccine manufacturer's find it harder to conduct tests for such vaccines given the sensitive nature of animal testing. In contrast poultry vaccines are much better developed as there is more testing. This is one of my main areas of research.
5. Vaccination is the best tool to stop infection
6. Don't believe what people tell you or put on the internet. Good clinical practice is based on evidence not the experience of an individual.
7. Vets are people and make mistakes as do medics.
8. If you feel you are being ripped off then report it to the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. The RCVS are stricter and have stuck off more vets than the BMA for medics. If there is a case then the RCVS take it seriously.
9. Indemnity insurance costs a fortune.
Vets, another rip off . on 11:50 - Jan 25 with 3300 viewstrampie

Vets, another rip off . on 11:46 - Jan 25 by Professor

Professor busy being a Professor my friend.

First and foremost I am not a vet. But being involved in Vet Science and its teaching I would make the following points:

1. Veterinary Services (other than the statutory livestock surveillance) are not funded by taxation. If you had to pay full costs for human medicine then you would realise how much this is covered.
2. Vets are not minted. You only get rich if you own are a partner in a successful practice and this costs a lot to buy into. Most Vets are on 30-50K, which is about half of a GP salary for same training
3. Out-of-hours relies on newly qualified vets. There are not the safeguards junior doctors have. Vets have the highest suicide rate of all professionals.
4. The vaccines given to dogs, cats etc. are not the best in terms of protection duration. Partly this is to ensure animals are checked yearly when vaccinated. Partly as the vaccine manufacturer's find it harder to conduct tests for such vaccines given the sensitive nature of animal testing. In contrast poultry vaccines are much better developed as there is more testing. This is one of my main areas of research.
5. Vaccination is the best tool to stop infection
6. Don't believe what people tell you or put on the internet. Good clinical practice is based on evidence not the experience of an individual.
7. Vets are people and make mistakes as do medics.
8. If you feel you are being ripped off then report it to the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. The RCVS are stricter and have stuck off more vets than the BMA for medics. If there is a case then the RCVS take it seriously.
9. Indemnity insurance costs a fortune.

Busy being a professor but found some time out to reply to the thread, that's cool.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Vets, another rip off . on 12:06 - Jan 25 with 3278 viewsunion_jack

Vets, another rip off . on 21:33 - Jan 24 by Loyal

Well done for not kicking his head off.

Bit of a drastic remedy for an ear infection?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Vets, another rip off . on 12:11 - Jan 25 with 3266 viewsswanjackal

Vets, another rip off . on 12:06 - Jan 25 by union_jack

Bit of a drastic remedy for an ear infection?

I "kick" myself for missing that opportunity. Have an up arrow

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Vets, another rip off . on 12:52 - Jan 25 with 3246 viewsSwanjaxs

Had dogs most of my life and have to say overall had good dealings with vets, have to say though that I've had a few occasions that make me think some are in it purely to offer unnecessary treatment, one particular incident recently was an eye opener and left me in no doubt that profiteering occurs...

Vets, another rip off . on 12:58 - Jan 25 with 3226 viewsFlashberryjack

Vets, another rip off . on 22:51 - Jan 24 by max936

No you don't.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Vets, another rip off . on 13:02 - Jan 25 with 3215 viewsexiledclaseboy

There’s an anti-vaccine movement for dogs as well as kids. My Mrs encountered them online once.

Poll: Tory leader

Vets, another rip off . on 14:19 - Jan 25 with 3172 viewsProfessor

Vets, another rip off . on 13:02 - Jan 25 by exiledclaseboy

There’s an anti-vaccine movement for dogs as well as kids. My Mrs encountered them online once.

People buy the anti vaxxer stuff even though it is babble and pseudoscience. Along with clean water and sanitation, the most important thing in preventing infectious disease. Vaccines are remarkably safe and effective. Diseases without vaccines like malaria kill millions. As we begin to lose the efficacy of antibiotic they become more important
Vets, another rip off . on 14:27 - Jan 25 with 3169 viewsperchrockjack

He replied as a matter of courtesy .

Quite why he bothered over the likes of you is strange though but he s a good man and a caring one so looking at what you post ,he probably feels you need all the help you can get

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Vets, another rip off . on 14:31 - Jan 25 with 3161 viewsProfessor

Vets, another rip off . on 14:27 - Jan 25 by perchrockjack

He replied as a matter of courtesy .

Quite why he bothered over the likes of you is strange though but he s a good man and a caring one so looking at what you post ,he probably feels you need all the help you can get

It’s fine. Waiting for a student to turn up. Turned over to town and the bugger is late.
Free education on here
Vets, another rip off . on 14:34 - Jan 25 with 3150 viewstrampie

Vets, another rip off . on 14:31 - Jan 25 by Professor

It’s fine. Waiting for a student to turn up. Turned over to town and the bugger is late.
Free education on here

Yes free education, remember me saying about Wigan Athletic and the apparent reasons they would not let them in the league, you seemed to like those posts from memory.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024