Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) 17:24 - May 16 with 3788 viewsSirjohnalot

This is so important, hopefully it will give other people the confidence to come out. He’s timed it perfectly. Young so not in the first team, end of season so won’t be such a hot topic. Let’s hope any abuse will be as intolerable as racism

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/championship-player-comes-out-17-year-o
[Post edited 16 May 2022 17:47]
Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 17:43 - May 16 with 2145 viewsTreforys_Jack

About time, fair play to the young man
Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 17:47 - May 16 with 2114 viewsonehunglow

Ive read there are disputes as to what percentage of men are homsexual.Some surveys say 1.5% which is ridiculous and the Kiney one which reckon 10%,which is IMO more accurate .Id actually say its higher.
So thousands in the macho world of professional football are gay.It should not be a big deal,especially these days.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 17:49 - May 16 with 2122 viewsSirjohnalot

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 17:47 - May 16 by onehunglow

Ive read there are disputes as to what percentage of men are homsexual.Some surveys say 1.5% which is ridiculous and the Kiney one which reckon 10%,which is IMO more accurate .Id actually say its higher.
So thousands in the macho world of professional football are gay.It should not be a big deal,especially these days.

I agree, I'd say it's a lot higher.
Younger generation have got it right

More importantly he scored 30 goals this year ! Get him signed
[Post edited 16 May 2022 18:00]
Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 18:05 - May 16 with 2088 viewspencoedjack

Well done Jake.
Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 18:08 - May 16 with 2084 viewsSirjohnalot

Some wonderful replies. A post that can bind us all together
Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 18:14 - May 16 with 2073 viewsSTID2017

As long as people are happy in their lives and harm no one else, nobody's business but theirs if they are straight, gay, etc.

Best of luck to the lad, wish him every success.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 18:45 - May 16 with 2039 views1983

Well done mate good on you

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 19:35 - May 16 with 1993 viewsonehunglow

Our best friend's son "came out" at 18.Wifey told his mum it was the least surprising news EVER.
He always was.He can't be changed.He's a good lad.I like him. Good enough for me

Login to get fewer ads

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 19:38 - May 16 with 1998 viewsSirjohnalot

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 19:35 - May 16 by onehunglow

Our best friend's son "came out" at 18.Wifey told his mum it was the least surprising news EVER.
He always was.He can't be changed.He's a good lad.I like him. Good enough for me

‘A good lad’ the only characteristic that’s important
Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 19:39 - May 16 with 1994 viewsmagicdaps10

Well done to him, courage is off the scale and his bravery will certainly inspire others.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 20:29 - May 16 with 1936 viewsonehunglow

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 19:38 - May 16 by Sirjohnalot

‘A good lad’ the only characteristic that’s important

The early clues were him prefering to play with my daughters dolls rather than play footnball

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 20:30 - May 16 with 1940 viewsKeithHaynes

Fantastic move by Jack.
Any negatives should be stamped on.

And to the OP this is why you are up there with the most valued posters on this site.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 20:50 - May 16 with 1889 viewsLorax

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 20:29 - May 16 by onehunglow

The early clues were him prefering to play with my daughters dolls rather than play footnball

What toys kids play with isn't any indication mun or I'd be homosexual too! Not that it matters.

I don't care that he's gay, it's not my concern, as long as he's a a decent human being I really do not care about sexuality, religion, colour etc.

Treat me right and I'll treat you right, take as I find me.

Still though, not an easy thing for a sportsperson in the male dominated arenas. There seems to be a lot more openly gay female footballers, tells you what a bunch of morons us men can be.
Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 20:52 - May 16 with 1880 viewsKeithHaynes

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 20:50 - May 16 by Lorax

What toys kids play with isn't any indication mun or I'd be homosexual too! Not that it matters.

I don't care that he's gay, it's not my concern, as long as he's a a decent human being I really do not care about sexuality, religion, colour etc.

Still though, not an easy thing for a sportsperson in the male dominated arenas. There seems to be a lot more openly gay female footballers, tells you what a bunch of morons us men can be.

A man is a man regardless. 👍

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 21:07 - May 16 with 1859 viewsonehunglow

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 20:50 - May 16 by Lorax

Cat
There were other obvious signs from an early age.

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 22:22 - May 16 with 1806 viewsKilkennyjack

Only 17 so very brave.

Well done young man.

All decent people will be supportive.

Beware of the Risen People

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 22:34 - May 16 with 1796 viewsLohengrin

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 19:39 - May 16 by magicdaps10

Well done to him, courage is off the scale and his bravery will certainly inspire others.

Calm down, mun!

It’s not as if he’s stayed manning the guns as the deck sank beneath the waves at Jutland. He’s said he’s a homosexual in an age where people couldn’t care less.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 22:51 - May 16 with 1769 viewsFireboy2

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 22:34 - May 16 by Lohengrin

Calm down, mun!

It’s not as if he’s stayed manning the guns as the deck sank beneath the waves at Jutland. He’s said he’s a homosexual in an age where people couldn’t care less.

People couldn't care less eh?

Most of us on this board would be but not everyone is as free spirited as us lot loh.
Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 22:57 - May 16 with 1765 viewsLohengrin

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 22:51 - May 16 by Fireboy2

People couldn't care less eh?

Most of us on this board would be but not everyone is as free spirited as us lot loh.

I saw it on the news when I came home from work earlier. My wife and the youngest couldn’t understand why it was news?

I hope there aren’t people behind the scenes looking to manoeuvre this kid like some sort of political pawn.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 23:40 - May 16 with 1727 viewsFireboy2

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 22:57 - May 16 by Lohengrin

I saw it on the news when I came home from work earlier. My wife and the youngest couldn’t understand why it was news?

I hope there aren’t people behind the scenes looking to manoeuvre this kid like some sort of political pawn.

Perhaps its because you and your family are decent people, as I've said not all people are.

I doubt he's been used, i suspect he has spoken at length with his family nd friends before coming to a decision to come out, imo its a very brave decision as no doubt he will get abuse when he plays, be it from a very small minority.
Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 03:19 - May 17 with 1685 viewsDr_Parnassus

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 22:34 - May 16 by Lohengrin

Calm down, mun!

I'm the same. Had this been 25 years ago then yes, I would understand.

It is a different age now, nobody cares. People are actually inventing genders and sexualities to appear anything but straight. Difference is a commodity now, not a hindrance.

Someone came out as gay in the NFL, the most macho of sports, in America which is quite a religious country in comparison to the UK... nobody was bothered.

There are openly gay female footballers, some are even married that play on the same team. Again, it's not an issue.

There may be the odd comment of course, people try to pick out difference when they have a go at someone else. Whether its height, weight, sexuality, race, facial features, hair color, religion.... people will always have a go at something.

Just got to not let it bother you.

Glad Jake is happy.
[Post edited 17 May 2022 3:38]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 06:14 - May 17 with 1651 viewsSirjohnalot

Unfortunately people are bothered. Gay people still get beaten up for holding hands in public, my mate fostered his daughter’s friend as his family threw him out for being gay, in some countries you can be executed for being gay, the World Cup is in a country where it’s illegal, some people still kill themselves as they can’t admit it.

Can’t underestimate what an important moment this is, till we get to the stage where things like the above don’t happen, then it is still a huge news story. I wish it didn’t matter, and maybe in 10 years time, that will be the case. Certainly to each new generation it matters less and less.
Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 07:04 - May 17 with 1618 viewsjojaca

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 06:14 - May 17 by Sirjohnalot

Unfortunately people are bothered. Gay people still get beaten up for holding hands in public, my mate fostered his daughter’s friend as his family threw him out for being gay, in some countries you can be executed for being gay, the World Cup is in a country where it’s illegal, some people still kill themselves as they can’t admit it.

Can’t underestimate what an important moment this is, till we get to the stage where things like the above don’t happen, then it is still a huge news story. I wish it didn’t matter, and maybe in 10 years time, that will be the case. Certainly to each new generation it matters less and less.

Even in this day and age, I would imagine gay male footballers would get massive abuse if they scored some crucial goals in some hostile venues, I don't blame them for hiding their sexuality, you would need really thick skin.

While I understand the need to promote awareness, I personally think football is over promoting politics and current affairs. I just want to escapism from it all. Its partly one reason why I have cancelled Sky TV. I don't need to be reminded every game of BLM, LQBTQ, covid, wars, cancers etc.
[Post edited 17 May 2022 7:09]

Even when you know, you never know?

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 08:11 - May 17 with 1571 viewsDr_Parnassus

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 06:14 - May 17 by Sirjohnalot

But you can’t go by laws of other countries as to what is acceptable in our own. If he was declaring he was gay in Saudi Arabia then yes that would be brave.

But it’s illegal and you can be executed for cheating on your partner in those countries too, leaving you religion etc etc doesn’t mean it’s that big a deal here though. Well outside of that relationship anyway.

Being gay is absolutely acceptable in the U.K. - we may look at a small isolated incidents where that hasn’t been the case but that goes for anything. People get beaten up for wearing a certain football jersey, having long hair, for the way the dress, you name it someone will have been attacked for doing something.

But societally, being homosexual has lost the stigma and is perfectly acceptable now. It’s probably more to a persons advantage than detriment in this day and age.
[Post edited 17 May 2022 8:15]

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 08:32 - May 17 with 1549 viewsDr_Parnassus

Jake Daniels, first active football to come out (Blackpool 17 year old) on 07:04 - May 17 by jojaca

Even in this day and age, I would imagine gay male footballers would get massive abuse if they scored some crucial goals in some hostile venues, I don't blame them for hiding their sexuality, you would need really thick skin.

While I understand the need to promote awareness, I personally think football is over promoting politics and current affairs. I just want to escapism from it all. Its partly one reason why I have cancelled Sky TV. I don't need to be reminded every game of BLM, LQBTQ, covid, wars, cancers etc.
[Post edited 17 May 2022 7:09]

Football is an environment where any difference is attacked. Because most attacks are about on field achievements which are filtered through something that can be picked out in difference.

Robbie Savage had it with his hair, Crouch had it with his height, Ozil had it with his appearance, Shelvey had it with his baldness. I think that’s also where the racism in the game stems from too, football is tribal and people pick on ‘difference’.

I’m sure there will be the odd comment but he should be no more upset about those comments than Steve Cooper is about people calling him ugly for example. It doesn’t make it any less acceptable in society and am certain nobody within his team or other teams would treat him any different.

The case study has already happened with Carl Nassib in the NFL. He’s said several times how surprised he was that nobody seemed to care. A sport that is far more masculine than football, in a country that is seen to be far more conservative.

Jake will be fine.

https://www.outsports.com/platform/amp/2021/8/4/22605399/carl-nassib-las-vegas-r

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024